Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   F...people who tell you how to parent (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35261)

mredskins 02-17-2010 09:32 AM

F...people who tell you how to parent

I am so tired of random people giving me parenting advice. Just because you have a small child with you doesn't give others a licenses to open their mouths about how to raise the child. God gave me this one to raise go raise yours or make one of your own, get off my back.

It is worst at work. Yesterday we had a business lunch and I offered to drive some folks. Of course Miss Laid Back Mommy of the year had to come along. She noticed my son's (2 years old) car seat is still facing backwards. Her exact words"OMG that poor child, you must turn that seat around don't be so up tight." I just rolled my eyes and choice to ignore her. It is actually the safest way for him to ride but would I have said that about her 2 years seat facing forward, nope, it is her choice.

Don't get me started on her talking about all the great stuff her son can do at 2, it is an endless stream of BS.

jamf 02-17-2010 09:39 AM

Re: F...people who tell you how to parent

[IMG]http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/2571_2773.jpg[/IMG]

KLHJ2 02-17-2010 09:48 AM

Damn dude, how in the hell do you still face a 2 year old backwards? I would have to cut holes in by back seat just to give my son some leg room.

I say raise your children how you want to raise them, but realize that parents are usually over protective of their first born. I have four kids and have learned to ease up with each. When other parents are offering you advice, they are not usually trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong, they are trying to tell you how to do it with less stress based on their experience (except for my aunt Nancy). The truth is that each parent and child are different so what works for one will not work with others. Having said that, I will reiterate "raise your children how you want" and don't always get offended by others when they offer friendly parental advice.

I have a 4 month old nephew that I haven't met yet because my brother and his wife are terrified of the swine flu. Myself and my wife have had 0 symptoms and they only live 45 min away. I can understand not bringing my children, but come on dude.

dblanch66 02-17-2010 09:49 AM

[quote=jamf;663823][IMG]http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/2571_2773.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

:lol: Ok that is friggin hilarious!

mredskins 02-17-2010 10:00 AM

Those are good and welcomed advice.

MTK 02-17-2010 10:00 AM

lol that chart is hilarious, love the baby on the bench press

mredskins 02-17-2010 10:05 AM

[quote=Angry;663827]Damn dude, how in the hell do you still face a 2 year old backwards? I would have to cut holes in by back seat just to give my son some leg room.

I say raise your children how you want to raise them, but realize that parents are usually over protective of their first born. I have four kids and have learned to ease up with each. When other parents are offering you advice, they are not usually trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong, they are trying to tell you how to do it with less stress based on their experience (except for my aunt Nancy). The truth is that each parent and child are different so what works for one will not work with others. Having said that, I will reiterate "raise your children how you want" and don't always get offended by others when they offer friendly parental advice.

I have a 4 month old nephew that I haven't met yet because my brother and his wife are terrified of the swine flu. Myself and my wife have had 0 symptoms and they only live 45 min away. I can understand not bringing my children, but come on dude.[/quote]

I hear you don't go over board.

He fits fine we have a Britax car seat and it is made to go backwards up to 35 lbs.

mredskins 02-17-2010 10:07 AM

[quote=Angry;663827]Damn dude, how in the hell do you still face a 2 year old backwards? I would have to cut holes in by back seat just to give my son some leg room.

I say raise your children how you want to raise them, but realize that parents are usually over protective of their first born. I have four kids and have learned to ease up with each. When other parents are offering you advice, they are not usually trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong, they are trying to tell you how to do it with less stress based on their experience (except for my aunt Nancy). The truth is that each parent and child are different so what works for one will not work with others. Having said that, I will reiterate "raise your children how you want" and don't [B]always get offended by others when they offer friendly parental advice[/B].

I have a 4 month old nephew that I haven't met yet because my brother and his wife are terrified of the swine flu. Myself and my wife have had 0 symptoms and they only live 45 min away. I can understand not bringing my children, but come on dude.[/quote]

Sometimes it is overboard and the one lady in my office crosses the line many times. For the most part it doesn't bother but in the last week I have been inundated with this folks.

MTK 02-17-2010 10:13 AM

In general I think people should mind their own business more often.

CRedskinsRule 02-17-2010 10:29 AM

Question: a co-worker of mine saw a man driving, and in the back seat was a child, clearly young according to her, and the child was moving about. She called either the police or DSS, I don't remember which, and gave them the car info and license plate.

I was shocked that she would do that and told her so. She couldn't believe I thought she was in the wrong.

Note: she doesn't have kids.

IMO people are WAY too nosy, and sadly the internet feeds that.

redsk1 02-17-2010 10:33 AM

Yes, i definately will agree. My wife and I don't ever say anything to friends about how they should parent. However, it's kind of crazy some of the things that parents will and won't allow.

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 10:54 AM

Only 1 time in my life have I ever saw things so bad that I felt the need to say something. It was a long time ago, i was still in the Air National Guard, and was out with my wife (we were just dating still at the time).

We were at a resteraunt in Deer Lake, PA. Not to sound discriminating, but there was a young, trashy looking girl, with her 2 kids. No lie this girl couldnt have been older than 18..I say trashy and i mean she looked like an absolute gutter slut. I cant imagine who would have done it with her....seriously.

Anyway, her 2 spawns were raising absolute holy hell. One was screaming a blood-curdeling scream so bad, that its face was as red as our jerseys...The other patrons kept looking, but were too scared to do anything.

So me, in uniform and all, walked over and POLITLEY, asked her if she could please do something, because it was ruining it for the other customers...She looked embarassed and all, but started yelling at me "F you, baby killer, and all this stuff". It was horrible. I was used to the comments and stuff, but i was kind of shocked...

Anyway, they left 2 mins later, after who i think was the manager told them they had to go. I think it was funny that the little gangster boyfriend/husband/whatever, never even made eye contact with me the whole time...

Anyway, that had to be done. But i would never call somebody out on a seat belt issue or something like that.....just dont ruin my dinner...grr

Schneed10 02-17-2010 11:01 AM

[quote=Mattyk;663841]In general I think people should mind their own business more often.[/quote]

Words to live by right there.

JoeRedskin 02-17-2010 11:03 AM

Here's a question: What do you do if you see a person disciplining a small child (say less than 4) in a grocery store by using excessive force - slapping, hitting or otherwise violent behavior?

Do you say something? Ignore it?

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 11:03 AM

well like what would you guys do if you would have been in my situation. Granted, that is the extreme and not the general thing you encounter, but still....someone had to do something there. I wasn't going to take my then-girlfriend and just leave....

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 11:06 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;663893]Here's a question: What do you do if you see a person disciplining a small child (say less than 4) in a grocery store by using excessive force - slapping, hitting or otherwise violent behavior?

Do you say something? Ignore it?[/quote]

I think thats a tough one. I dont know what i would do, but at the same time i wouldn't know the situation. I do know enough to know that "time outs" or a "talking to" has a 0% effect on children today. There has to be a safe, happy balance.

I would get my ass kicked as a kid...not abuse at all, but when i screwed up, i got what was coming to me. And that's why i'm still behaved and respectful today....never been in trouble with the law, etc....i think good discipline gets overlooked in today's world...

MTK 02-17-2010 11:10 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663900]I think thats a tough one. I dont know what i would do, but at the same time i wouldn't know the situation. I do know enough to know that "time outs" or a "talking to" has a 0% effect on children today. There has to be a safe, happy balance.

[B]I would get my ass kicked as a kid...not abuse at all, but when i screwed up, i got what was coming to me. And that's why i'm still behaved and respectful today....never been in trouble with the law, etc....i think good discipline gets overlooked in today's world[/B]...[/quote]

You're opening a whole different can of worms here. Discipline doesn't have to mean a beating or ass kicking. If you got your "ass kicked", sounds like abuse to me.

mredskins 02-17-2010 11:16 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663894]well like what would you guys do if you would have been in my situation. Granted, that is the extreme and not the general thing you encounter, but still....someone had to do something there. I wasn't going to take my then-girlfriend and just leave....[/quote]

I as a parent I would have ignored it and sucked it up, by the description of the mother sounds like you were in a cheap family restaurant not Ruth Chris Steak House.

On my flight back from the West Coast a young couple had a 10 or 12 month old on the plane and he was just plain miserable. I felt so sad becasue that easily could have been me with my son. I want to help them but not tell them what to do. Towards the end he was real bad just tired and hungry and sick of the plane I am sure. So I grabbed into my carry on and brought out a truck I bought for my son and open the tray and started to play with it. It caught his attention and the parents asked if he could play with it. It quieted him down for a good while.

Remember this when you hear a screaming baby at one time you were that screaming baby and that screaming baby also represents our future as race so give him/her the benefit of the doubt someday you may need them.

Now if I saw a baby in danger or being abused I would step no question.

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 11:18 AM

Sorry Matt,

i should clarify. Our father had a stern hand...maybe by today's rules, it would be classified as abuse. BUT, i can tell you, that is what kept me out of trouble, and i thank my dad for that.

I do not believe in the "hands off" parenting approach that so many people take these days. I think a spanking, or even worse, a whipping, may be deserved for some things...

I hope i didnt mislead anybody

724Skinsfan 02-17-2010 11:19 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663900]I think thats a tough one. I dont know what i would do, but at the same time i wouldn't know the situation. I[B] do know enough to know that "time outs" or a "talking to" has a 0% effect on children today.[/B] There has to be a safe, happy balance.

I would get my ass kicked as a kid...not abuse at all, but when i screwed up, i got what was coming to me. And that's why i'm still behaved and respectful today....never been in trouble with the law, etc....i think good discipline gets overlooked in today's world...[/quote]

I'd like to know where you got this information.

mredskins 02-17-2010 11:21 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663900]I think thats a tough one. I dont know what i would do, but at the same time i wouldn't know the situation. [B]I do know enough to know that "time outs" or a "talking to" has a 0% effect on children today.[/B] There has to be a safe, happy balance.

I would get my ass kicked as a kid...not abuse at all, but when i screwed up, i got what was coming to me. And that's why i'm still behaved and respectful today....never been in trouble with the law, etc....i think good discipline gets overlooked in today's world...[/quote]

Not true! I use both of those on my son and they work with great effect. Even at two he feels shame and a sense of doing wrong. To me hitting a child is the easy way to discipline.

I was never once hit by my parents and I like to think I turned out pretty damn good.

I also think if you do want to hit your child, in reason, that is your choice to raise your child. I personally don't think it is effective.

Schneed10 02-17-2010 11:21 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;663893]Here's a question: What do you do if you see a person disciplining a small child (say less than 4) in a grocery store by using excessive force - slapping, hitting or otherwise violent behavior?

Do you say something? Ignore it?[/quote]

Depends how bad it is. I don't like to spank my daughter (she's 3) but I have and will again I'm sure. Never in public, mind you, that takes some balls.

If I see a parent using an open hand to slap with the goal being to sting the child's skin, then I'm fine with that, that's just a parent disciplining and using the proper restraint to ensure the child doesn't get injured. The second I see a closed fist I'd have to say something or place a call to the police.

Also, one or two slaps is all a kid needs to get the message across. I'd get concerned if a parent was repeatedly slapping, even with an open hand. That's a sign the parent is doing it out of frustration.

And the parents' demeanor matters too. If they're cool and collected while delivering the spank, then I'm comfortable that it's under control. If they look like they're starting to enter a fit of rage or frustration, then that's bad news.

mredskins 02-17-2010 11:25 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663924]Sorry Matt,

i should clarify. Our father had a stern hand...maybe by today's rules, it would be classified as abuse. BUT, i can tell you, that is what kept me out of trouble, and i thank my dad for that.

I do not believe in the "hands off" parenting approach that so many people take these days. I think a spanking, or even worse, [B]a whipping[/B], may be deserved for some things...

I hope i didnt mislead anybody[/quote]

WTF???? Are you raising horses? I would not even whip a horse.

I think when you spank or whip a child you are releasing your angry for the situation more then you are actually disciplining the child.

How can using violence to disicpline a child be teaching them a good lesson.

[I]"If someone does wrong they should be hit." [/I] - child's mind

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 11:26 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan;663926]I'd like to know where you got this information.[/quote]

Well i'll be happy to tell you. There is a family who lives in our culdesac, two houses over.

They have 2 kids....a 9 year old, and a 5 year old. Just 2 months ago, the 9 year old went to school and told his classmate that he was going to shoot him with an AK 47. No lie. My wife knows the mother. She goes on and on about how when she was growing up, they would get in big trouble for that stuff.

But she laments further that her husband has recently "found god", and now is real hesitant to put a hand on him, because the preacher told him all this stuff and bla bla bla. (I'm thinking spare the rod, spoil the child).

Anyhow, they put him in "time out", where he still gets his XBOX, TV, etc etc...he's a problem in school and the neighborhood kids don't play with him because of how they are, so we hear all this stuff from neighbors.

Anyway, it sounds to me like time out isn't working. So if you're telling me a "hands-off" parenting approach works, i'll call you a liar.

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 11:28 AM

[quote=mredskins;663935]WTF???? Are you raising horses? I would not even whip a horse.

I think when you spank or whip a child you are releasing your angry for the situation more then you are actually disciplining the child.

[I]"If someone does wrong they should be hit." [/I] - child's mind[/quote]

Dont take what i said literally...i just mean a spanking in general. When i was little, my mother would whip me with a wooden spoon...a couple good whacks...

I think it should be saved as a last resort....after "talking" and time outs dont work anymore....i think its a "to each their own" situation with parenting. I've noticed that most parents tell me that they raise their children how they were raised (keep in mind these are normal people...not drunks or child abusers)

Schneed10 02-17-2010 11:33 AM

In reality, the manner of discipline (time outs vs spanks) is not going to have a huge influence on a child's development. Socioeconomic status, parental guidance and support, genetics, and the peer influences are much bigger factors. As long as the child isn't handled at either end of the discipline spectrum (beaten abusively or allowed to do whatever sans consequences), they'll pretty much turn out the way their situation dictates.

It's much more important as a parent to ensure they're hanging around the right kids than it is to fuss over whether to spank or whether to give timeouts.

mredskins 02-17-2010 11:37 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663937]Well i'll be happy to tell you. There is a family who lives in our culdesac, two houses over.

They have 2 kids....a 9 year old, and a 5 year old. Just 2 months ago, the 9 year old went to school and told his classmate that he was going to shoot him with an AK 47. No lie. My wife knows the mother. She goes on and on about how when she was growing up, they would get in big trouble for that stuff.

But she laments further that her husband has recently "found god", and now is real hesitant to put a hand on him, because the preacher told him all this stuff and bla bla bla. (I'm thinking spare the rod, spoil the child).

Anyhow, they put him in "time out", where he still gets his XBOX, TV, etc etc...he's a problem in school and the neighborhood kids don't play with him because of how they are, so we hear all this stuff from neighbors.

Anyway, it sounds to me like time out isn't working. So if you're telling me a "hands-off" parenting approach works, i'll call you a liar.[/quote]

Sounds like they are not doing it effectively. Again how does hitting a child that seems to have a presidency towards violence (wanting to bring a AK 47 to school) going to solve the problem.

I would say they need to start using effective time outs/ discipline, limit the amount and quality of TV and Xbox usage (learning the gun stuff somewhere) and seek some professional help becasue they have really gone down the wrong road with this child.

Not to be rude SolidSnake but if you don't currently have children most of us with children are not going to hold a lot of weight to your opinions. Basically yon need to join the club before you get an opinion, at least in my book.

MTK 02-17-2010 11:37 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663937]Well i'll be happy to tell you. There is a family who lives in our culdesac, two houses over.

Anyway, it sounds to me like time out isn't working. So if you're telling me a "hands-off" parenting approach works, i'll call you a liar.[/quote]

Sounds like bad parenting 101 and not just a discipline problem.

mredskins 02-17-2010 11:38 AM

[quote=Schneed10;663944]In reality, the manner of discipline (time outs vs spanks) is not going to have a huge influence on a child's development. Socioeconomic status, parental guidance and support, genetics, and the peer influences are much bigger factors. As long as the child isn't handled at either end of the discipline spectrum (beaten abusively or allowed to do whatever sans consequences), they'll pretty much turn out the way their situation dictates.

It's much more important as a parent to ensure they're hanging around the right kids than it is to fuss over whether to spank or whether to give timeouts.[/quote]

That is a good post, I agree.

Monkeydad 02-17-2010 11:40 AM

[quote=mredskins;663935]WTF???? Are you raising horses? I would not even whip a horse.

[I]"If someone does wrong they should be hit." [/I] - child's mind[/quote]

There is a huge difference between discipline and teaching consequences...and abusive hitting. Kids ARE smart enough to understand punishments and "I need to listen so I don't face the consequences" vs. "they just hit me for no reason or for everything so I might as well be bad because I'll be hit anyways". Children do understand more than we give them credit for.

KLHJ2 02-17-2010 11:44 AM

We have been over this spanking thing before on this site. I gladly and without hesitation spank my kids when the other methods have failed. Spanking never fails and brings them back in line when they are trying to test the boundaries.

724Skinsfan 02-17-2010 11:59 AM

^^^ The key part of that is "when the other methods have failed". My 4 year old has been spanked on the rare occasions that he simply can't get it together. Timeouts work with him much more often than not (93.787% to be exact), as well as taking toys away. My sister told me she tried using timeouts for her kids but it doesn't work. I asked where is their timeout location. She replies, "In their room."....oooooooookay.

Slingin Sammy 33 02-17-2010 12:15 PM

jamf, that chart was ridiculously funny, I can't stop laughing whenever I see it.

Monkeydad 02-17-2010 12:19 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;663956]^^^ The key part of that is "when the other methods have failed". My 4 year old has been spanked on the rare occasions that he simply can't get it together. Timeouts work with him much more often than not (93.787% to be exact), as well as taking toys away. My sister told me she tried using timeouts for her kids but it doesn't work. I asked where is their timeout location. She replies, "In their room."....oooooooookay.[/quote]

You have to make the timeout location uncomfortable, like restricting them to a single step on the stairs, under the deck or in the trunk of a car.

(not [I]entirely[/I] serious) :D

BleedBurgundy 02-17-2010 12:22 PM

[quote=Mattyk;663841]In general I think people should mind their own business more often.[/quote]

DING DING DING Best answer folks

SolidSnake84 02-17-2010 12:27 PM

[quote=mredskins;663946]
Not to be rude SolidSnake but if you don't currently have children most of us with children are not going to hold a lot of weight to your opinions. Basically yon need to join the club before you get an opinion, at least in my book.[/quote]

So based on what i've said, you just automatically assume that we dont have children. Nice.

The only thing that is obvious is that there are only a few people on here, that are willing to give a spanking a try if no other method works. The rest of you are trying the hands off approach and/or hoping for divine intervention. Nothing but respect to people who are making that work.

I'd love to see some of you when the going gets rough. How about this...instead of criticising my opinions that "dont have weight"...how about we post as parents what worked for us...The thread title could be changed too, but that's not my call.

Slingin Sammy 33 02-17-2010 12:30 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;663940]Dont take what i said literally...i just mean a spanking in general. When i was little, [B]my mother would whip me with a wooden spoon...a couple good whacks[/B]...

I think it should be saved as a last resort....after "talking" and time outs dont work anymore....i think its a "to each their own" situation with parenting. I've noticed that most parents tell me that they raise their children how they were raised (keep in mind these are normal people...not drunks or child abusers)[/quote]I got the old wooden spoon a few times too. LOL.

Never went the wooden spoon route with my son though. He got spankings once in a while. He's getting big now (16), but I'm pretty sure the old man could still lay a spanking on him if need be. :spank:

BleedBurgundy 02-17-2010 12:32 PM

I don't have kids. I was spanked as a kid. I still get a little "ass tingle" going when I think of doing something wrong. lol. I think the parent's demeanor plays a huge role. I remember as a child, if I was acting up, my dad would say "keep it up and you're getting it when we get home." Sure enough, upon arrival, it would be "touch the bottom of the stairs" and get a couple whacks with the belt. No bruising, bleeding, nothing excessive, just calm and measured discipline. Worked like a charm. And the belt was an object of intimidation, didn't actually hurt any worse than the hand. But the fact that he was "holding that evil belt" made it that much worse... I'm cracking up thinking about it. Best part with him was that once you crossed that line and he told you it was coming, you could bet your life on it, no matter how nice you tried to be on the way home...

Slingin Sammy 33 02-17-2010 12:42 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;663981]I don't have kids. I was spanked as a kid. I still get a little "ass tingle" going when I think of doing something wrong. lol. I think the parent's demeanor plays a huge role. I remember as a child, if I was acting up, my dad would say "keep it up and you're getting it when we get home." Sure enough, upon arrival, it would be "touch the bottom of the stairs" and get a couple whacks with the belt. No bruising, bleeding, nothing excessive, just calm and measured discipline. Worked like a charm. And the belt was an object of intimidation, didn't actually hurt any worse than the hand. But the fact that he was "holding that evil belt" made it that much worse... I'm cracking up thinking about it. Best part with him was that once you crossed that line and he told you it was coming, you could bet your life on it, no matter how nice you tried to be on the way home...[/quote]That's a really good point, my folks always gave me and my sister plenty of warning before we "got it". My wife and I did the same with our son.

tryfuhl 02-17-2010 01:00 PM

[quote=mredskins;663821]I am so tired of random people giving me parenting advice. Just because you have a small child with you doesn't give others a licenses to open their mouths about how to raise the child. God gave me this one to raise go raise yours or make one of your own, get off my back.

It is worst at work. Yesterday we had a business lunch and I offered to drive some folks. Of course Miss Laid Back Mommy of the year had to come along. She noticed my son's (2 years old) car seat is still facing backwards. Her exact words"OMG that poor child, you must turn that seat around don't be so up tight." I just rolled my eyes and choice to ignore her. It is actually the safest way for him to ride but would I have said that about her 2 years seat facing forward, nope, it is her choice.

Don't get me started on her talking about all the great stuff her son can do at 2, it is an endless stream of BS.[/quote]
People over-coddle their children so much it's ridiculous. They give in to every want and demand "I WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS! I WANT YOU TO BUY ME THIS! I DON'T WANT TO EAT THIS I WANT WHAT I WANT!" blah blah blah

I would've had my block knocked off as a kid had I done that stuff.