Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time to Build an Offensive Line (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35269)

Pocket$ $traight 02-25-2010 09:45 PM

Re: Time to Build an Offensive Line

[quote=Trample the Elderly;666389]I'm not buying into all of this, "we gotta get this guy or we've got to get this guy!" again this year. The only guy I can say we [U]have[/U] to get, is the best damn offensive lineman we can. There is no effing way you can give me the name of some hot shot safety, rb, or some douche QB!

The Skins have five positions of absolute need. RT, RG, C, LG, and LT.

I don't want to hear about, "oh, jeez Tramp, you don't do that in one off season, nobody does that!" In a sane world you'd be right. You see there's only one guy on the line that can play, and that's Dock. The Bills didn't release him because he was all that!

Let the current D, and the "so-called" pantheon of WRs we have live up to mediocre and we'll be alright. Without a line . . . .[/quote]

I agree. Dock needs to be our weak spot, not our strength. He was average (possibly slightly above average) when he left. I know that no one thought he deserved Hutchinson money.

I am for bringing Randy Thomas, Levi, and M.Williams back but only for minimums and as plan Bs who have a chance to win a starting spot.

Pocket$ $traight 02-25-2010 09:46 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;666397]Was Laron in the Pro Bowl? Did I miss that? We have others who could step into Landry's position far better than OT's we have now. Why would any other team trade a probowler for a underperforming player. I think GW would lobby for Landry, and we could get a solid OT in the process. I think this would make sense, but i would be fine keeping Landry as well.[/quote]

We have no other safety who is anywhere near as good as Landry. It isn't even close.

CRedskinsRule 02-25-2010 09:49 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;666404]We have no other safety who is anywhere near as good as Landry. It isn't even close.[/quote]

BUT, the D as a whole can make up for a slightly weaker safety position, then the O can with the OT's we currently have. One way, or more than one way, we need to bring in SOLID OL players, and I am pretty sure the Saints OL counts as that.

Pocket$ $traight 02-25-2010 09:55 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;666406]BUT, the D as a whole can make up for a slightly weaker safety position, then the O can with the OT's we currently have. One way, or more than one way, we need to bring in SOLID OL players, and I am pretty sure the Saints OL counts as that.[/quote]

Why don't we just draft a tackle with one of our first two picks, sign a tackle or two and keep Landry? Just because they were good with the Saints doesn't mean we can just plug them in here.

Ruhskins 02-25-2010 09:57 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;666410]Why don't we just draft a tackle with one of our first two picks, sign a tackle or two and keep Landry? Just because they were good with the Saints doesn't mean we can just plug them in here.[/quote]

This would make sense, but a lot of pundits and fans feel that the Redskins have to take a QB in the first round.

SmootSmack 02-25-2010 09:59 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;666412]This would make sense, but a lot of pundits and fans feel that the Redskins have to take a QB in the first round.[/quote]

Right, like he said "one of the first two picks" So...QB in the first, OT in the 2nd" :)

CRedskinsRule 02-25-2010 10:00 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;666410]Why don't we just draft a tackle with one of our first two picks, sign a tackle or two and keep Landry? Just because they were good with the Saints doesn't mean we can just plug them in here.[/quote]

I am ok with that too, didn't say I wasn't. The main thing is to look at all possibilities, and try to do the best thing for the Skins as a whole team. That means that no player short of Orakpo is completely off limits to trade possibilities. Most scenarios won't play out, but if it improves our OL it ought to be evaluated thoroughly.

Pocket$ $traight 02-25-2010 10:04 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;666417]I am ok with that too, didn't say I wasn't. The main thing is to look at all possibilities, and try to do the best thing for the Skins as a whole team. That means that no player short of Orakpo is completely off limits to trade possibilities. Most scenarios won't play out, but if it improves our OL it ought to be evaluated thoroughly.[/quote]

I agree with that. In that case, I would offer Davis or Cooley to them before Dirty 30.

CRedskinsRule 02-25-2010 10:09 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;666421]I agree with that. In that case, I would offer Davis or Cooley to them before Dirty 30.[/quote]

I think, in the case of Cooley, I would want more than just the OT, but maybe not, IF as you say Shanahan thinks the guy is the perfect fit. The thing is, GW would probably push and help get the trade through for Landry (and use him to his best potential, which would irk some of us to no end), but the Saints have Shockey, and they wouldn't look at Cooley/Davs as a need or worth the trade.

Ruhskins 02-25-2010 10:10 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;666424]I think, in the case of Cooley, I would want more than just the OT, but maybe not, IF as you say Shanahan thinks the guy is the perfect fit. The thing is, GW would probably push and help get the trade through for Landry (and use him to his best potential, which would irk some of us to no end), but the Saints have Shockey, and they wouldn't look at Cooley/Davs as a need or worth the trade.[/quote]

And I think Landry wouldn't mind leaving, whereas Cooley would. Not that this should be a deal-breaker, but typically teams have traded players that they were not too happy with (but are still talented).

CRedskinsRule 02-25-2010 10:12 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;666426]And I think Landry wouldn't mind leaving, whereas Cooley would. Not that this should be a deal-breaker, but typically teams have traded players that they were not too happy with (but are still talented).[/quote]

Landry would, I believe, be on the first train outta here if he could go work for GW again.

Mechanix544 02-25-2010 10:48 PM

agreed there.

Oh, and CRedskins, I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was just projecting thats what I hope will happen, like I know what is right for this tea better than allen and shanny. lol, and yes, I did want your response!!!

tryfuhl 02-25-2010 10:50 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;666428]Landry would, I believe, be on the first train outta here if he could go work for GW again.[/quote]
[url=http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/12/LaRon%20Landry.aspx]New Orleans Saints - LaRon Landry[/url]

[quote]
[B][I]Q: You played your first year under [URL="http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team/Coaches/People/Gregg%20Williams.aspx"]Gregg Williams[/URL]. What can you tell us you learned from him?[/I][/B]

[B]LaRon Landry:[/B] “He’s going to get everybody to play together and play to the best of their ability. He’s like a perfectionist and one thing he’s going to do is he’s going to blitz you. You don’t know where it’s coming from. That’s one thing I like about his defense.”

[B][I]Q: How much fun did you have playing for him?[/I][/B]

[B]LaRon Landry:[/B] “Most definitely. I loved it. He’s one of my favorite coaches.”
[I][B]

[/B][/I][B][I]Q: Being a local guy, do you feel good for the Saints?[/I][/B]

[B]LaRon Landry:[/B] “Yes, growing up in New Orleans, I’ve always been a Saints fan. Watching those guys win and dealing with what we’re going through right now and not having such a great season, combined with the hometown team winning. I’m happy to play those guys this week to play an 11-0 team and look for this week being their first loss.”[/quote]

Trample the Elderly 02-26-2010 12:02 AM

Man screw Landry in his ear. He isn't squat and everyone knows it. Come on really?! Landry is no different than the rest of the bag nasties on the D.

"Yeah, so and so is this. So and so is that." My logic says they're a 4-12 D. These guys are a bunch of bums, and they're going to be a bunch of effing bums until they start winning again! Because a winner is the opposite of a bum. That's my yard stick and these boys don't measure up.

Tell me Shanny wouldn't trade any of these guys, even Orakpo!? CP is some how a crown jewel to some fans, yet Shanny traded his ass.

One transaction epitomizes the difference between the incoming regime and the one that's still unemployed. Or has cousin Vinny found work yet? Some how I forgot to care.

Let me ask you guys a question. Does Landry, Hanesworth, or Orakpo play OT?

I can name other members of other team's O-line. Can other team's fans say the same for ours? No! Why? Any half-wit schmuck sucking his thumb knows that one.

The Goat 02-26-2010 12:46 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;666375]Sounds great, Vinny! I think that improving the current Super Bowl Champion and a conference opponent is a great idea. Let's throw in a 2nd and 6th too so they don't shop around...

This Laron Landry bashing is officially in the retarded stage.

Someone give me one team that he wouldn't start immediately on. In fact he would probably be the starting FS or SS on almost every team in the league.[/quote]

Really? Ok let's begin. First the list of teams Landry definitely wouldn't start at either safety spot:

Saints
Colts
Steelers
Ravens
Cards
Packers
Jets

Next there's a bunch of teams Laron would have to fight for a spot:

Pats
Chargers
Niners
Dolphins
Raiders

But I think the larger point is most franchises wouldn't allow a player to embarrass himself and the franchise the way Landry has. Hey, if you want a player who's notorious for cheap shots (especially on players going out of bounce), getting trucked by opposing RBs (like Jacobs) and avoiding contact like the plague (especially against hard hitting RBs like Michael Turner) then Landry makes a great starter. And that's only during live play! Just wait till the absurd antics start :)

Realistically I can't see many teams in the league having much interest in Landry. I doubt we'd get more than a 4th round pick for him.