Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35411)

rbanerjee23 02-27-2010 01:26 PM

Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen finally spoke with the media this afternoon and addressed many topics during a 12-minute press conference. The one constant that kept coming up with Clausen was his leadership ability and questions about his character.

“I’ve grown tremendously since I came to Notre Dame,” Clausen said. “I went to Notre Dame early as a senior [in high school]; I arrived there in January [of 2007] to get a head start in my college career. There were some ups-and-downs and a lot of lessons that I’ve learned there. I’ve overcome a lot of adversity at Notre Dame, but it was the greatest time of my life. I had some of the greatest experiences there, and just being away from my family in California has definitely changed me as a person.”

On Friday, Clausen measured in at the Combine at a surprising 6025 and 222 pounds and while he won’t workout at the Combine, he did announce on Saturday that he plans to do a full workout at his Pro Day on April 9th. [B]Clausen also announced that has met with just two teams thus far, the Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills. The Redskins (No. 4 overall) and Bills (No. 9 overall) are currently in the market for a quarterback. [/B]

skinsfaninok 02-27-2010 01:38 PM

Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Well apparently he's leaning to Seattle..

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/jimmy-clausen-loves-pete-carroll-to-death/]Jimmy Clausen loves Pete Carroll "to death" | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

Lotus 02-27-2010 01:40 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;666964]Well apparently he's leaning to Seattle..

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/jimmy-clausen-loves-pete-carroll-to-death/]Jimmy Clausen loves Pete Carroll "to death" | ProFootballTalk.com[/url][/quote]

I didn't take that to mean he was leaning towards Seattle. I took that to mean he was covering his bases and making sure to say nice things about anyone who might draft him.

tryfuhl 02-27-2010 01:46 PM

Yeah I didn't see that as a please draft me Seattle either.

skinsfaninok 02-27-2010 01:48 PM

I think Clausen will be there around 8 if we can't get Bradford at 4, maybe we do trade down to look at Clausen.

KI Skins Fan 02-27-2010 02:16 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;666968]I think Clausen will be there around 8 if we can't get Bradford at 4, maybe we do trade down to look at Clausen.[/quote]

Way too risky if we want Clausen. Better to take him a #4. What we need to worry about is Seattle or SF trading with either Detroit or Tampa to move ahead of us. They both need QB's and they both have two 1st Round picks (Seattle: 6th and 14th, SF: 13th and 17th).

Dirtbag59 02-27-2010 02:17 PM

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/jimmy-clausen-loves-pete-carroll-to-death/]Jimmy Clausen loves Pete Carroll "to death" | ProFootballTalk.com[/url][/quote]

Got to love those damn emotional liberal coaches. So easy to see what they're thinking.

Edit never mind: I thought Carroll was the one speaking of love.

WaldSkins 02-27-2010 03:14 PM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;666980]Way too risky if we want Clausen. Better to take him a #4. What we need to worry about is Seattle or SF trading with either [B]Detroit or Tampa[/B] to move ahead of us. They both need QB's and they both have two 1st Round picks (Seattle: 6th and 14th, SF: 13th and 17th).[/quote]

If someone traded up with Tampa or Detriot this would be our best hope of trading down because that would mean McCoy or Suh would still be available.

PHazard 02-27-2010 04:35 PM

lol, he's not a free agent. He can't "lean" anywhere. He gets drafted and has to deal with wherever he goes. Unless you're assuming he will pull an Eli coming up to the draft

Son Of Man 02-27-2010 05:10 PM

I would not be at all happy if we drafted Clausen. I don't like anything about him.

Mechanix544 02-27-2010 05:52 PM

I agree. I just do not know why, if we are so hell bent on getting a young QB THIS draft,(still thinking ALL OLine in the first 2 rounds this year, and Locker for next year) we wouldnt trade down a bit in the second round a pick up Pike for a bargain, enabling us to get Okung as a cornerstone for him next year after he develops behind JC for a year. But drafting Okung and then trading up 6 or seven spots from our 2nd round pick and grabbing Campbell, cementing one whole side of our OLine for years to come that still looks like the way to go from my point of view. Then you can still at least give JC his one additional chance, as everyone seems to want to give him a mulligan due to line issues for last season, and still have the option for Locker next offseason.

Mechanix544 02-27-2010 05:54 PM

BTW, anyone heard how small Clausens hands are????? measured at just over 9 inches, alot tinier than anyone else in his comparable situation. that is not a good thing.

skinsfaninok 02-27-2010 05:58 PM

Kiper compared Clausen to A. Rodgers. He said he has good footwork, Mobile and very accurate on the run.

Son Of Man 02-27-2010 06:00 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;667023]Kiper compared Clausen to A. Rodgers. He said he has good footwork, Mobile and very accurate on the run.[/quote]

Kiper loves everything in a golden dome.

Dirtbag59 02-27-2010 06:02 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;667022]BTW, anyone heard how small Clausens hands are????? measured at just over 9 inches, alot tinier than anyone else in his comparable situation. that is not a good thing.[/quote]

Ok, so we've confirmed that he isn't perfect. Now what does the film say about him? Thats what matters. Terrell Suggs had a horrible 40 time, hasn't stopped him from being a productive player. I'm pretty sure there are a thousand other examples but the combine is very overrated.

Thats the thing that scares me about Bruce Campbell. Guy impresses everyone in the drills and now suddenly everyone wants him. I mean I want him to but thats because of what I've seen of him on film. not the fact that he's over 300 pounds and below 10% or 12% body fat.

By the by:
[quote]No, they're not the same size. An NFL football is longer and skinnier than an NCAA (college) football.

NFL footballs are therefore easier to pass while NCAA footballs are easier to kick. Most QBs find the transition (in football size) from college to pro an easy one to make.[/quote]

If he can grip a college ball then gripping a pro ball will be no problem.

tryfuhl 02-27-2010 06:16 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;667021]I agree. I just do not know why, if we are so hell bent on getting a young QB THIS draft,(still thinking ALL OLine in the first 2 rounds this year, and Locker for next year) we wouldnt trade down a bit in the second round a pick up Pike for a bargain, enabling us to get Okung as a cornerstone for him next year after he develops behind JC for a year. But drafting Okung and then trading up 6 or seven spots from our 2nd round pick and grabbing Campbell, cementing one whole side of our OLine for years to come that still looks like the way to go from my point of view. Then you can still at least give JC his one additional chance, as everyone seems to want to give him a mulligan due to line issues for last season, and still have the option for Locker next offseason.[/quote]
What do you propose we give up to get a pick high enough to get Locker next year? Especially if you figure a good line will pull us to a .500ish team

tryfuhl 02-27-2010 06:17 PM

I hate the college balls.

murphy196 02-27-2010 06:45 PM

Yeah, I mean that has to be the dumbest post I've ever read on here.

murphy196 02-27-2010 06:47 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;667034]What do you propose we give up to get a pick high enough to get Locker next year? Especially if you figure a good line will pull us to a .500ish team[/quote]

Yeah, so by his reasoning, we will go get a good O-line and then we will finish with the worst record, so we could have the #1 pick in order to draft Locker.

wolfeskins 02-27-2010 07:04 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;667022][B]BTW, anyone heard how small Clausens hands are?????[/B] measured at just over 9 inches, alot tinier than anyone else in his comparable situation. that is not a good thing.[/quote]

who cares.

but on a side note, you made me think of that commercial where a guy has those little, tiny hands.

Dirtbag59 02-27-2010 07:31 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;667034]What do you propose we give up to get a pick high enough to get Locker next year? Especially if you figure a good line will pull us to a .500ish team[/quote]

Locker will be a catch 22. If he's good enough to be a franchise QB we'll probably be out of reasonable range to get him, if he falls to us next year then it will be like "why would we want you, no one else did." Locker scares me though, I keep on thinking of him as a white Michael Vick....without the dog fighting and other stuff.

[quote=murphy196;667048]Yeah, so by his reasoning, we will go get a good O-line and then we will finish with the worst record, so we could have the #1 pick in order to draft Locker.[/quote]

[YT]3DPKf7y1F-Q[/YT]

SmootSmack 02-27-2010 08:22 PM

You know who has huge hands?...JaMarcus Russell

tryfuhl 02-27-2010 09:19 PM

Yeah but I heard that his pinky is prone to hangnail.

SBXVII 02-27-2010 09:21 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;667022]BTW, anyone heard how small Clausens hands are????? measured at just over 9 inches, alot tinier than anyone else in his comparable situation. that is not a good thing.[/quote]

Has the small hands been a problem as of yet? Just don't take him to get a BK burger. ;)

SBXVII 02-27-2010 09:27 PM

[quote=murphy196;667047]Yeah, I mean that has to be the dumbest post I've ever read on here.[/quote]

I started 3 posts in reply to Mechanix post and had to scratch each one. They would have came off mean spirited. :)

Some one who still thinks JC can be a franchise QB. Hmmm. Someone who thinks we should spend all our draft picks on OL and look to pick up our franchise QB in later rounds. Hmmm.

Then he mentions Clausen has small hands. Aren't college balls bigger in circumference vs. NFL balls?

As I said before just don't take him to get one of those large burgers or it will make his hands look even smaller. ;)

Longtimefan 02-27-2010 09:35 PM

[quote=Son Of Man;667017]I would not be at all happy if we drafted Clausen. I don't like anything about him.[/quote]

A lot of people on the ND campus share your sentiments.

SBXVII 02-27-2010 09:35 PM

Here let me help you out....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM]YouTube - BK's Tiny Hands Commercial[/ame]

Dirtbag59 02-27-2010 10:24 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;667093]A lot of people on the ND campus share your sentiments.[/quote]

What? Where do you get that?

Daseal 02-27-2010 10:32 PM

Uh, tiny hands IS an issue. I would be spraying him with a hose as he threw to see how his grip is.

When it comes down to it, I don't think any of the QBs are worth taking at 4.

Ruhskins 02-27-2010 10:33 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;667035]I hate the college balls.[/quote]

That's what she said.

53Fan 02-27-2010 10:41 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;667097]What? Where do you get that?[/quote]

I don't think it's a secret a lot of ND fans weren't happy with him.

[url=http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/clausen_full.htm]Every Notre Dame Fan In Country A Suspect In Jimmy Clausen Punching[/url]

53Fan 02-27-2010 11:12 PM

I had read somewhere that Clausen wouldn't even be able to have a Pro Day because of his surgery but couldn't find where I read it. This kind of confirms it and says Sheftler and Clayton both believe the Rams will take Bradford #1. I knew Sheftler thought that but didn't know Clayton agreed with him.

[url=http://walterfootball.com/draftmailbag2010_combine.php]WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Draft Mailbag[/url]

CRedskinsRule 02-27-2010 11:16 PM

But my understanding is that both Sheftler and Clayton are basing it on the fact that you have to take a QB at that spot over a DT. But Spagnola said that they will take the best player, which would not be any of the qb's in this class

Dirtbag59 02-27-2010 11:18 PM

[quote=53Fan;667100]I don't think it's a secret a lot of ND fans weren't happy with him.

[url=http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/clausen_full.htm]Every Notre Dame Fan In Country A Suspect In Jimmy Clausen Punching[/url][/quote]

Thats a satirical piece based on an incident in which Clausen stood up to a guy who pushed his girlfriend. Someone who comes to the defense of people he cares about, I wouldn't call that a character flaw. I'm talking about quotes from Notre Dame students that have met him, talked with him.

I think that this post from Hogs Haven was a great piece and paints a very good picture of the type of player Jimmy Clausen is:
[url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/2/24/1324034/jimmy-clausen-pro-cons-from]Jimmy Clausen Pro/Cons from Southbend Campus; Great Athlete but Not a Leader - Hogs Haven[/url]

[quote][B]Pros:[/B]

First of all, he didn't bitch unless he noticed someone not hustling (something that he really didn't like), he was a team guy. People don't think he is out there for stats, he apparently loves football and has a huge desire to win.

[B]He is very passionate about the sport, he is dedicated to being the best he can be, he is a competitor and will do anything to win[/B], he hangs out with the football players, he is maturing very well. [/quote]

[quote][B]Cons:[/B]

Just about everyone pointed to the fact that he is not a natural leader. They refused to give particular examples but just about everyone respects him. One player said, "If the Redskins are looking for a great leader, someone to bring the locker room together, and ignite a new desire to win, look elsewhere. But his football ability is unquestionable."

Clausen has this larger than life mentality. Word is that he showed up to campus his freshman year wearing a crown, but that might be a little irrelevant because then he was just a 19 year old kid. He has a very pompous attitude and is no fun to talk to, but then again I am not on the football team. He was punched in the face outside a bar following the UCONN game which we lost. Some people there said that he instigated it, but I don't know for sure. People around campus don't like him. Girls think he is ugly, guys think he is a cocky prick.

He tries to be the team leader but lacks natural skills. He apparently puts forth the effort. The team appreciates this and trusts his abilities on the field. [One teammate] said going in [when he first joined the team], he thought Clausen was going to be a prick. It turns out that he does not fit the profile others believe him to have. He is a little immature and likes to have fun but never takes it too far. And again it was noted that he is maturing.[/quote]

For the most part the bolded section is all I need to know.

[quote]Mel Kiper: People keep questioning his size and I don't understand why. What's wrong with 6-2.5, 220. That's ideal size. In addition to that, his arm strength is above average. Some have said he's maxed out physically. I don't understand that. His arm strength will improve once he gets to the NFL. That's been proven. He's tough. He played with the flu and the toe injury. He played with a team that didn't have a great supporting cast. The defense was awful. He had four games where he won on the final drive.[/quote]

[quote=Daseal;667098]Uh, tiny hands IS an issue. I would be spraying him with a hose as he threw to see how his grip is.

When it comes down to it, I don't think any of the QBs are worth taking at 4.[/quote]

Come on, the guy played football in Indiana. There has to be at least a few games of him playing in bad weather.

SmootSmack 02-27-2010 11:20 PM

Well like I said the other day there are a few people here in addition to Schefter and Clayton (though technically Clayton isn't ever really here) who have been saying privately for a couple of weeks now that they think Bradford will go number one.

I've thought it'll be McCoy but they get paid to do this, I don't

GMScud 02-27-2010 11:42 PM

[SIZE=4]THE DOWNFALL OF NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL IN PICTURES:

Florida's Tim Tebow:
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/gmscud/image002.jpg[/IMG]

Southern Cal's Mark Sanchez:
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/gmscud/image1.jpg[/IMG]

Texas' Colt McCoy:
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/gmscud/image3.jpg[/IMG]

Georgia's Matt Stafford:
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/gmscud/image4.jpg[/IMG]

And finally, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen:
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/gmscud/image5.jpg[/IMG]
[/SIZE]

SmootSmack 02-27-2010 11:50 PM

Woah! L to R our future LT, our future QB, and our future RG

53Fan 02-27-2010 11:51 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;667106]Thats a satirical piece based on an incident in which Clausen stood up to a guy who pushed his girlfriend. Someone who comes to the defense of people he cares about, I wouldn't call that a character flaw. I'm talking about quotes from Notre Dame students that have met him, talked with him.

I think that this post from Hogs Haven was a great piece and paints a very good picture of the type of player Jimmy Clausen is:
[url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/2/24/1324034/jimmy-clausen-pro-cons-from]Jimmy Clausen Pro/Cons from Southbend Campus; Great Athlete but Not a Leader - Hogs Haven[/url

For the most part the bolded section is all I need to know.

Come on, the guy played football in Indiana. There has to be at least a few games of him playing in bad weather.[/quote]

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Longtimefans statement that not everyone at ND liked Clausen?

53Fan 02-27-2010 11:53 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;667115]Woah! L to R our future LT, our future QB, and our future RG[/quote]

:laughing2 That's terrible.... but funny as hell!!!

Nice work GMScud! Tebow's girl is STACKED! How's he stay a virgin?

GusFrerotte 02-28-2010 12:01 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;667025]Ok, so we've confirmed that he isn't perfect. Now what does the film say about him? Thats what matters. Terrell Suggs had a horrible 40 time, hasn't stopped him from being a productive player. I'm pretty sure there are a thousand other examples but the combine is very overrated.

Thats the thing that scares me about Bruce Campbell. Guy impresses everyone in the drills and now suddenly everyone wants him. I mean I want him to but thats because of what I've seen of him on film. not the fact that he's over 300 pounds and below 10% or 12% body fat.

By the by:

If he can grip a college ball then gripping a pro ball will be no problem.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Pro footballs aren't thinner than NFL balls!!! And small hands don't matter huh? Do you remember Danny "Woeful"? Guy had to wear gloves all the time. I don't see why the big hangup with Bradford/Clausen. A ton of good, solid QBs coming out this draft. We could draft a guy in say the 4th round and still get a great QB. There is around a dozen QBs available that have the potential to become solid pros. I rather build a great line and then draft a kid from a second tier school than waste a first round pick and not properly address the o line. Our first two picks should be o linemen. Samuels and Thomas need to retire.