Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Give Colt Brennan a shot with the 1st team offense in 2010 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35412)

Pocket$ $traight 02-28-2010 10:29 AM

Re: Give Colt Brennan a shot with the 1st team offense in 2010

[quote=Longtimefan;667182]All we're talking about here is that he will be given the opportunity to compete with front line payers in the preseason to see if he can make a positive impression. Regardless of your impression of the guy, you haven't seen anymore of him than the rest of us, and what I've seen thus far is not enough to form an unbiased opinion as to what he's going to eventually be. I want to see more of Colt Brennan in a truly competitive environment with the opportunity to sink or swim.[/quote]

If Brennan has the ability to be a productive quarterback, I feel much more confident with Shanahan doing the evaluation instead of Captain Slip and Slide.

SmootSmack 02-28-2010 10:32 AM

All indications are Colt Brennan is a changed man from when he first joined the team. How that translates to the field we'll see. But as long as he's on the team I'll be rooting for him to play well. He definitely has shown flashes of being a solid QB, but those flashes are not as frequent as one would like.

Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford

Pocket$ $traight 02-28-2010 10:41 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;667186]All indications are Colt Brennan is a changed man from when he first joined the team. How that translates to the field we'll see. But as long as he's on the team I'll be rooting for him to play well. He definitely has shown flashes of being a solid QB, but those flashes are not as frequent as one would like.

Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford[/quote]

I think the main question with Bradford is his shoulder. You cannot argue his success in college and you hear over and over again that his accuracy is phenomenal, which seems to be the most important quality for Shanny's (if not all) QBs.

Bradford may be a moot point if St. Louis snatches him up.

Son Of Man 02-28-2010 10:45 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;667186]All indications are Colt Brennan is a changed man from when he first joined the team. How that translates to the field we'll see. But as long as he's on the team I'll be rooting for him to play well. He definitely has shown flashes of being a solid QB, but those flashes are not as frequent as one would like.

Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet [B]somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford[/B][/quote]

I think his expected draft status has alot to do with that....he may go 1st overall anyways.

Longtimefan 02-28-2010 11:10 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;667185]If Brennan has the ability to be a productive quarterback, I feel much more confident with Shanahan doing the evaluation instead of Captain Slip and Slide.[/quote]

I definitely agree with that. I'll trust whatever opinion Shanahan has of him. If after given ample opportunity and he concludes he's not worthy then I'll gladly accept that.

Longtimefan 02-28-2010 11:15 AM

Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford[/quote]

Maybe it's because Brennan is already on the team, and didn't cost us a first round draft pick, more notably the #4 pick which has to be considered one of the building blocks of the team for years to come.

redskinjim 02-28-2010 11:18 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;667031]Well it's been stated that QB will be a competition, so if he's here, I don't see why he wouldn't get a shot.[/quote]

the coaches will probably give him every opportunity as the starting qb

53Fan 02-28-2010 11:27 AM

[B]Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford[/B][/quote]

I have no problem with Sam Bradford or how he got his numbers. I think he's a damn fine QB and would be excited to have him join our team. I just want to see Colt given a chance because I'm really curious about what he can do. He is somewhat charismatic and that could carry over in a good way. He seems fearless and confident and if he has learned not to be careless he could be very productive. Plus.... we've already got him. We don't have to spend our first pick to get him and we can can use that pick to finally address the o-line and get someone the caliber of Russell Okung. I would really like to see the guys we choose at skill positions developed and given a chance instead of constantly trying to upgrade with another draft pick at the expensive of drafting our biggest weakness. We don't seem to mind using #1's for safetys and such but we don't seem to want to "waste" a #1 on a LT when we can get someone who's an upgrade later on. It doesn't take much to upgrade the line we have. Maybe if we went after the best o-linemen we could get we could actually hit our mark of having a good solid o-line.

Longtimefan 02-28-2010 12:00 PM

[quote=53Fan;667214]I have no problem with Sam Bradford or how he got his numbers. I think he's a damn fine QB and would be excited to have him join our team. I just want to see Colt given a chance because I'm really curious about what he can do. He is somewhat charismatic and that could carry over in a good way. He seems fearless and confident and if he has learned not to be careless he could be very productive. Plus.... we've already got him. We don't have to spend our first pick to get him and we can can use that pick to finally address the o-line and get someone the caliber of Russell Okung. I would really like to see the guys we choose at skill positions developed and given a chance instead of constantly trying to upgrade with another draft pick at the expensive of drafting our biggest weakness. We don't seem to mind using #1's for safetys and such but we don't seem to want to "waste" a #1 on a LT when we can get someone who's an upgrade later on. It doesn't take much to upgrade the line we have. Maybe if we went after the best o-linemen we could get we could actually hit our mark of having a good solid o-line.[/quote]

That's a good post 53. We need a Russell Okung MORE than we need a Bradford or Clausen. We're in desperate need of a Chris Samuels clone unless there are those who think Levi Jones is the answer. I don't ever want to witness again what we saw from what was supposed to be an offensive line in 2009.

Paintrain 02-28-2010 01:26 PM

I'll be quite surprised if Brennan gets anything beyond reps with the backups in the preseason. Especially if we draft a QB in the top 2 rounds, there's no reason to waste the time with him getting quality starter-level reps. J. Reid did an Insider post on Brennan the other day in which he said that he was very close to being released last pre-season.

As much as some people would like to think so, it's quite rare, if not impossible that a 6th round pick with questionable arm strength and mechanics, 3 years removed from consistent playing time and coming off of 2 hip surgeries could conceivably challenge for a starting QB role.

Sorry to throw mud on the thread but I can't see it.

Dirtbag59 02-28-2010 01:43 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;667218]That's a good post 53. We need a Russell Okung MORE than we need a Bradford or Clausen. We're in desperate need of a Chris Samuels clone unless there are those who think Levi Jones is the answer. I don't ever want to witness again what we saw from what was supposed to be an offensive line in 2009.[/quote]

Actually at this point I'd say that at this point we need Bradford more then Okung and Okung more then Clausen. Or to put it simply:

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Clausen

mlmpetert 02-28-2010 02:31 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;667218]That's a good post 53. We need a Russell Okung MORE than we need a Bradford or Clausen. We're in desperate need of a Chris Samuels clone unless there are those who think Levi Jones is the answer. [B]I don't ever want to witness again what we saw from what was supposed to be an offensive line in 2009.[/B][/quote]

Or 2008

wolfeskins 02-28-2010 02:54 PM

does shanny normally carry two or three qbs because that could play a huge part in whether colt brennan stays or goes

GTripp0012 02-28-2010 05:46 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;667052]If Collins didnt play those 5 games after JC hurt his knee, would the consensus be that Todd is better then Colt? I guess its easy to say Todd is better then Colt because of the success he had during his 5 starts with us, but Colt still hasnt had a chance to prove himself. So yeah Todd is better, but only because we seen something from him, not because Colt had a real chance and blew it[/quote]Good point and well stated. The Collins-Colt debate doesn't have a real well-founded solution.

It's probably not really even worth considering, I guess, if only because if Colt earns his spot on the team next year, Collins can't do anything at age 39 to keep his roster spot. He's pretty much subjected to keep his spot only if there isn't a better option.

GTripp0012 02-28-2010 05:51 PM

Still, it's kind of funny how one the one hand it's Colt's numbers are impressive no matter what type of offense he played in. Yet somehow that argument doesn't translate to Sam Bradford[/quote]I don't know if there was really an argument being made back in 2008 that Colt Brennan should be considered a top ten draft pick. Certainly, if that had logical basis, someone would have bought low in the third or fourth round.

I don't think the argument is about the impressiveness of Brennan's performance in 2006 and 2007 vs. the impressiveness of Bradford in 2007 and 2008. They both had a pair of unbelievable college seasons, some of the best in history. I think the argument is more, with regards to being the starting quarterback of the Redskins post-Campbell, exactly what have you done for me lately?

In both cases, not much.