Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35453)

MTK 03-03-2010 10:54 AM

'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

horrible story

[url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzsYLPt1XJlcT1oFyA85gQ9turPgD9E6FRFO1]The Associated Press: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog[/url]

SolidSnake84 03-03-2010 11:28 AM

Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

That's too sad.

People have these dogs though, that are known killers, and it just blows me away.

And their dog had bitten someone else only 4 months earlier.....should have had it put down.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 11:30 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;668231]That's too sad.

People have these dogs though, that are known killers, and it just blows me away.

And their dog had bitten someone else only 4 months earlier.....[B]should have had it put down[/B].[/quote]

No way. It's not the dog's fault that it was raised improperly. At the very least, the owners' should have learned how to care for a powerful breed. If they felt they could not do that, they should have turned the dogs over to a Rottie rescue.

MTK 03-03-2010 11:37 AM

If I had kids, I just wouldn't risk having them around dogs like that.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 11:43 AM

[quote=Mattyk;668241]If I had kids, I just wouldn't risk having them around dogs like that.[/quote]

The dogs aren't the problem. ;)

Raise them (the dogs just as much as the kids) properly and don't allow your kids to be around them unsupervised (which was the case in this situation).

We have two Rottweilers and do not hesitate to allow my niece and nephews (oldest of the lot being 4) to be around them. It is a great social activity for the dogs and the kids. When the kids do something that they shouldn't I correct them, and when the dogs do something they shouldn't I correct them.

Daseal 03-03-2010 11:44 AM

This is tough news. But they should have gotten rid of a dog. I love dogs, and I won't say breed X or breed Y should never be kept as pets. However, when aggressive tendencies start, especially against family members -- you have to get rid of the dog right away. I've seen dogs "snap" before. I've seen sweet dogs for no real reason turn into snarling beasts all the time. Often, it's a breed like a rotty, pit, etc.

firstdown 03-03-2010 11:47 AM

[quote=cpayne5;668232]No way. It's not the dog's fault that it was raised improperly. At the very least, the owners' should have learned how to care for a powerful breed. If they felt they could not do that, they should have turned the dogs over to a Rottie rescue.[/quote]

So you know the history of THIS dog and how its been cared for over its life?

MTK 03-03-2010 11:50 AM

[quote=cpayne5;668249]The dogs aren't the problem. ;)

Raise them (the dogs just as much as the kids) properly and don't allow your kids to be around them unsupervised (which was the case in this situation).

We have two Rottweilers and do not hesitate to allow my niece and nephews (oldest of the lot being 4) to be around them. It is a great social activity for the dogs and the kids. When the kids do something that they shouldn't I correct them, and when the dogs do something they shouldn't I correct them.[/quote]

I know if the dog is raised correctly it shouldn't be an issue, still, I wouldn't risk it around a young child. That's just me. If there's even a .01% chance the dog could snap and hurt the child, I'm not risking it.

The main problem here definitely lies with the parents, no doubt.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 11:53 AM

[quote=Daseal;668251]This is tough news. But they should have gotten rid of a dog. I love dogs, and I won't say breed X or breed Y should never be kept as pets. However, when aggressive tendencies start, especially against family members -- you have to get rid of the dog right away. I've seen dogs "snap" before. I've seen sweet dogs for no real reason turn into snarling beasts all the time. Often, it's a breed like a rotty, pit, etc.[/quote]

It's obvious that these people had no clue about dog ownership, so yes they should have handed the dogs over to a rescue.

Dogs never snap. They give fair warning to when they're about to use force. As a responsible dog owner, it is up to you to recognize those warning and correct the dog well before the dog's behavior escalates.

There is always a reason. Dogs want to be happy, that is their nature.

Here's my pack...
[IMG]http://skinsfan.us/sf/files/pack.jpg[/IMG]

SolidSnake84 03-03-2010 11:53 AM

I agree with cpayne's argument. You can't blame the dog in some instances, but i dont think that is the point we are trying to make.

The point in this case is that this dog was already a problem, and had attacked before. Leaving a 4 year old around a known dangerous animal was not good either.

It's a sad death, and one that perhaps could have been avoided.

I know here in virginia, if a dog attacks a human to the point that the person is injured/requires treatment, then the dog is taken by the police. I am not 100% sure that they euthanize it right away, but i imagine they do.

I know this because my neighbor 2 houses down had one of his dogs attack a runner last summer. No charges were filed on him, but his dog was taken and put down by the animal control.

Daseal 03-03-2010 11:55 AM

Cpayne, by snap I don't mean nice one second, mean the next. It's a complete change of mental makeup. They don't necessarily become super aggressive that second, but you notice that their personality is different and in general much more aggressive.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen to people that know a lot about dogs, and care for/love their dogs. Just like people, sometimes something happens.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=Mattyk;668254]I know if the dog is raised correctly it shouldn't be an issue, still, I wouldn't risk it around a young child. That's just me. If there's even a .01% chance the dog could snap and hurt the child, I'm not risking it.

The main problem here definitely lies with the parents, no doubt.[/quote]

Raised and supervised properly, there is a 0% chance. If those two things don't exist, the chances, whatever they may be, are the same no matter the breed.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 11:58 AM

[quote=Daseal;668259]Cpayne, by snap I don't mean nice one second, mean the next. It's a complete change of mental makeup. They don't necessarily become super aggressive that second, but you notice that their personality is different and in general much more aggressive.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen to people that know a lot about dogs, and care for/love their dogs. Just like people, sometimes something happens.[/quote]

Well, then over time the owner has allowed the dog to change its behavior and get away with it. Most of the time they write it off as "that's just Scruffy being cute", or "Scruffy is getting cranky as she ages", etc. It's an excuse and most of the time it reinforces the behavior (treats, petting, etc). Proper discipline would nip it in the bud.

firstdown 03-03-2010 12:23 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668260]Raised and supervised properly, there is a 0% chance. If those two things don't exist, the chances, whatever they may be, are the same no matter the breed.[/quote]
Sorry your odds of 0% is not correct. The difference in atacks from dogs is that most people can fend off most other dogs but Pitts, Rotts, etc... by nature go for the kill. Why don't we ever hear of a Great Dane attacking and killing? I guess everyone who owns them are the good owners and keep their dogs under control.

smootistheman 03-03-2010 12:29 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668256]It's obvious that these people had no clue about dog ownership, so yes they should have handed the dogs over to a rescue.

Dogs never snap. They give fair warning to when they're about to use force. As a responsible dog owner, it is up to you to recognize those warning and correct the dog well before the dog's behavior escalates.

There is always a reason. Dogs want to be happy, that is their nature.

Here's my pack...
[IMG]http://skinsfan.us/sf/files/pack.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Beautiful Pack cpayne5...And I agree with you on this. Dogs like children are a product of their environment and those people had no business leaving that child with that dog. What sad,sad news and a senseless loss.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 12:38 PM

[quote=firstdown;668277]Sorry your odds of 0% is not correct. The difference in atacks from dogs is that most people can fend off most other dogs but Pitts, Rotts, etc... by nature go for the kill. Why don't we ever hear of a Great Dane attacking and killing? I guess everyone who owns them are the good owners and keep their dogs under control.[/quote]

It absolutely is 0%, given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.

firstdown 03-03-2010 12:47 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668284]It absolutely is 0%, given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.[/quote]

I'd guess its a smaller dog that bites more often but there is a big difference between a scratch and having your face ripped off and/or killed. Like I said its only a few of the bigger dogs that we hear about in the news all the time. I also don't believe that all dogs try to kill when they bite. Alot of dogs will bite once and then stop while a pitt becomes more agressive. I have seen that sweet pitt bull attack and its like they become another dog and total loss of control.

BringBackJoeT 03-03-2010 01:00 PM

What a tragic story. It's horrifying to imagine any human being dying this way.

I count myself among the others who are animal lovers, and I've always thought that Rotties are beautiful dogs. However, I agree with others who have said or implied that it is not shocking to learn of the breed involved in this case. The fact is that some breeds have, by nature (and/or through generations of breeding), edgier temperments than others. If an owner is to be faulted in a situation like this, I think it should be for not appreciating the higher level of maintenance that attaches to choosing a breed like a Rottweiler, and the [I]natural risk [/I]that will be present if that level of maintenance is not applied.

firstdown 03-03-2010 01:07 PM

[quote=BringBackJoeT;668298]What a tragic story. It's horrifying to imagine any human being dying this way.

I count myself among the others who are animal lovers, and I've always thought that Rotties are beautiful dogs. However, I agree with others who have said or implied that it is not shocking to learn of the breed involved in this case. The fact is that some breeds have, by nature (and/or through generations of breeding), edgier temperments than others. If an owner is to be faulted in a situation like this, I think it should be for not appreciating the higher level of maintenance that attaches to choosing a breed like a Rottweiler, and the [I]natural risk [/I]that will be present if that level of maintenance is not applied.[/quote]
See I don't even think Rots and Pits attack anymore then other dogs its just when they do attack its usually not good.

over the mountain 03-03-2010 01:13 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668284][B]It absolutely is 0%[/B], given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.[/quote]

i got dogs, have had all types of dogs my entire life. certain dogs have a "kill" ability in them. my oldest right now, tyson, is a great dog, listens very well, has never bitten someone but, out of 6 dogs ive personnally owned hes the 5th, ive never had a dog that once he snaps he snaps to kill.

hes been in a few dog fights and when he is in a fight, he fights to kill. he was tearing this one dog up, he was latched to this dogs neck and thrashing is back and forth. i tried pulling him off but his flexed muscle made him weigh a ton. i had to punch him as hard as i could in his rib to get him off. the puncture wounds were deep and he missed a main artery by a fraction of an inch which would have killed the dog.

is tyson a sweet dog? yes. was he raised properly? yes. in all my years of having dogs, have i ever had a dog that could kill? not until tyson.

most of it is breeding (his bloodline more than breed like a rot or pit) and training but imo some dogs have a natural killer instinct that once they start in a fight, they will not stop until they kill.

SolidSnake84 03-03-2010 01:37 PM

[quote=over the mountain;668301]i got dogs, have had all types of dogs my entire life. certain dogs have a "kill" ability in them. my oldest right now, tyson, is a great dog, listens very well, has never bitten someone but, out of 6 dogs ive personnally owned hes the 5th, ive never had a dog that once he snaps he snaps to kill.

hes been in a few dog fights and when he is in a fight, he fights to kill. he was tearing this one dog up, he was latched to this dogs neck and thrashing is back and forth. i tried pulling him off but his flexed muscle made him weigh a ton. i had to punch him as hard as i could in his rib to get him off. the puncture wounds were deep and he missed a main artery by a fraction of an inch which would have killed the dog.

is tyson a sweet dog? yes. was he raised properly? yes. in all my years of having dogs, have i ever had a dog that could kill? not until tyson.

most of it is breeding (his bloodline more than breed like a rot or pit) and training but imo some dogs have a natural killer instinct that once they start in a fight, they will not stop until they kill.[/quote]

When i was a kid growing up in Great Falls, there was a guy a few houses down that had a bull terrier. It was mean as hell. When i was about 10 or 12, it got one of the neighbor kids on the pants leg and it wouldnt let go.

The guy that owned the dog came running out to try and help, and i kid you not he punched it square in the top of the head, which only stunned it a little. we ran inside and closed the door and could hear the dog banging against the door outside. Scared me to death. I can still remember that.

Heck, nowadays they'd throw that guy in jail....

mredskins 03-03-2010 01:45 PM

I have had dogs my whole life. Currently I have a mutt and a boarder collie. Growing up we had Irish Setters, a Gordon Setter and Golden's. None of those dogs were aggressive or ever snapped. Part of it was their breed and part was how we raised them.

To say a poodle will snap as fast as a Rottie is silly the Rottie is the more aggressive dog. It is just a fact of life some dogs are more aggressive then others. For example there are many types of fish, who would you swim with a goldfish or a great white?

I think Rottie's are beautiful dogs and I have meet many that are very good but they do tend to act without warning. My buddy had a male Rottie he was very pleasant and got along with everyone. One day while watching a football game one of my friends sitting next to this Rottie whistled during the game with no warning the Rottie bite him on the head. It literally took ten minutes to coax the dog to release his jaws from the guys head. That dog gave no warning it was pissed and had never bitten in the past. There are just some breeds you can't trust completely.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 01:59 PM

[quote=firstdown;668291]I'd guess its a smaller dog that bites more often but there is a big difference between a scratch and having your face ripped off and/or killed. Like I said its only a few of the bigger dogs that we hear about in the news all the time. I also don't believe that all dogs try to kill when they bite. Alot of dogs will bite once and then stop while a pitt becomes more agressive. I have seen that sweet pitt bull attack and its like they become another dog and total loss of control.[/quote]

Labs. Why? Because of their popularity and the ignorance of the populace when it comes to raising a dog. The dumber the owner, the more dangerous the dog becomes. No matter the breed.

People buy these bully or powerful breeds with the idea that they are big, bad, and tough. The problem is then when these people encourage aggressive behavior. It's cute what a little Rott puppy snaps or growls at you when it's 10 lbs. Then, that 10 lb puppy grows up to be a 100 lb dog who has been taught to act aggressively. Very rarely does a dog just develop aggressive tendencies on its own.

From day 1 when I bring my Rotts home, I make sure that anyone who interacts with the dog does so appropriately. My sister in law had a boyfriend who found it funny to taunt my girl Rott into aggressive behavior (she was 8 weeks old at the time). I put him in his place real quick. Then I corrected the dog.

Show the dog how you want it to behave (this is a daily and never ending exercise!!!) and you won't have any problems. Keep your dog tied up with no mental or physical exercise, leave it unattended or with people who don't know how to act around dogs (small children are clueless) and yes, you can create a dangerous, aggressive dog. Do the opposite, and you'll have a great dog, no matter the breed.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 02:06 PM

[quote=mredskins;668319]I have had dogs my whole life. Currently I have a mutt and a boarder collie. Growing up we had Irish Setters, a Gordon Setter and Golden's. None of those dogs were aggressive or ever snapped. Part of it was their breed and part was how we raised them.

To say a poodle will snap as fast as a Rottie is silly the Rottie is the more aggressive dog. It is just a fact of life some dogs are more aggressive then others. For example there are many types of fish, who would you swim with a goldfish or a great white?

I think Rottie's are beautiful dogs and I have meet many that are very good but they do tend to act without warning. My buddy had a male Rottie he was very pleasant and got along with everyone. One day while watching a football game one of my friends sitting next to this Rottie whistled during the game with no warning the Rottie bite him on the head. It literally took ten minutes to coax the dog to release his jaws from the guys head. That dog gave no warning it was pissed and had never bitten in the past. There are just some breeds you can't trust completely.[/quote]

The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

The fish analogy is a bit off. Fish haven't been bred as pets and for human companionship. All domestic dog breeds have.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 02:08 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;668316]When i was a kid growing up in Great Falls, there was a guy a few houses down that had a bull terrier. It was mean as hell. When i was about 10 or 12, it got one of the neighbor kids on the pants leg and it wouldnt let go.

The guy that owned the dog came running out to try and help, and i kid you not he punched it square in the top of the head, which only stunned it a little. we ran inside and closed the door and could hear the dog banging against the door outside. Scared me to death. I can still remember that.

Heck, nowadays they'd throw that guy in jail....[/quote]

A sure fire way to get a dog to release is to spray it with water, if available. It shocks it into thinking that it's raining and releases so it can go find an umbrella.

Trample the Elderly 03-03-2010 02:14 PM

Too bad it wasn't those scum bros Vick that got mauled.

firstdown 03-03-2010 02:16 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668344]The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

The fish analogy is a bit off. Fish haven't been bred as pets and for human companionship. All domestic dog breeds have.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.[/quote]
Dude your totally wrong as I have seen dogs attack or snap out without any warning and I'm not talking Pits or Rots. Yes poodles may even be worse then alot of dogs but the damage they can do is nothing compared to pits and rots.

mredskins 03-03-2010 02:20 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668344]The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.[/quote]

Much like my buddy you have the Rottie owner complex that everyone thinks their Rottie is vicious and are scared of their Rottie, thus they feel they have to defend the breed at every turn. I love those dogs man! I love to have one but not with a two year old boy in my house.

And two things for the record the dog gave no warning I was watching him he was right in front of me and second if a dog is going to snap I will take a poodle bite over a Rottie bite every time.

I am not trying to fight with a fellow dog lover I am just telling you my life experiences with dogs and different breeds, if you believe different god bless you and have a great day.

GMScud 03-03-2010 02:30 PM

Cpanye- you're obviously a big dog lover/owner, so I get your viewpoint. My closest friend has a 14 month old toddler that he is raising around two very sweet male labs (one chocolate, one golden). Totally incident free, and the dogs are great around the baby.

I don't have a dog, but I love them nonetheless. Great, great animals. All that said, I would definitely not raise a child around dogs. Sure, the chance of a well behaved dog attacking a child is slim to none. But you just never know what the kid may do to the dog during a moment when you may not be looking. This kid Jerry that I grew up with in my neighborhood had a gigantic half-moon shaped scar on the side of his face courtesy of a dog. Horrific story really. When he was 4 or 5 years old, he was sitting on the carpet eating some peanuts. The family dog (German shepherd) was hanging out with him. I guess Jerry harmlessly tried to feed the dog one of the peanuts, and accidentally stuck in the dog's nose. Of course a dog's nose is so sensitive, and this dog perceived it as an attack and latched on to Jerry's face. His father and brother beat the dog off of him, but he's permanently disfigured and they had to get rid of the dog.

Those kind of unpredictable situations are why I would never raise small children around dogs. Ever.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 02:34 PM

Nope, got me pegged wrong. I don't think that everyone thinks my Rotts are vicious and scared of them. I would admit to plenty of complexes, but that isn't one of them. ;)

I wasn't there with you the day the dog bit your friend, so I won't comment on what I think happened, but I have my ideas. It serves no purpose to keep going back and forth.

I grew up with probably a dozen different dog breeds (all sporting and working dogs). My experience with all those breeds is a factor in my conclusions. You should get a Rottweiler. I was very apprehensive when I got my first one, too, but I've found that they truly are no different than the other dogs I have had. If you're a dog lover who truly knows how to properly care for a dog, you can't go wrong.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 02:42 PM

[quote=GMScud;668368]Cpanye- you're obviously a big dog lover/owner, so I get your viewpoint. My closest friend has a 14 month old toddler that he is raising around two very sweet male labs (one chocolate, one golden). Totally incident free, and the dogs are great around the baby.

I don't have a dog, but I love them nonetheless. Great, great animals. All that said, I would definitely not raise a child around dogs. Sure, the chance of a well behaved dog attacking a child is slim to none. But you just never know what the kid may do to the dog during a moment when you may not be looking. This kid Jerry that I grew up with in my neighborhood had a gigantic half-moon shaped scar on the side of his face courtesy of a dog. Horrific story really. When he was 4 or 5 years old, he was sitting on the carpet eating some peanuts. The family dog (German shepherd) was hanging out with him. I guess Jerry harmlessly tried to feed the dog one of the peanuts, and accidentally stuck in the dog's nose. Of course a dog's nose is so sensitive, and this dog perceived it as an attack and latched on to Jerry's face. His father and brother beat the dog off of him, but he's permanently disfigured and they had to get rid of the dog.

Those kind of unpredictable situations are why I would never raise small children around dogs. Ever.[/quote]

You sound like you'd be a very responsible dog owner. You are saying a lot of the same things that I have further up. ^

You absolutely cannot leave a young kid like that alone with a dog. Kids just do not know how to act around dogs and can get themselves into trouble very quickly.

I couldn't imagine raising a kid without a dog or two around the house. It is a great social activity for both dog and child. I'm 27 and kids aren't really in the plans for me and my wife right now, but I definitely want my kid to grow up with a Rottie. Hopefully with the two that I have right now.

mredskins 03-03-2010 02:46 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668372]Nope, got me pegged wrong. I don't think that everyone thinks my Rotts are vicious and scared of them. I would admit to plenty of complexes, but that isn't one of them. ;)

I wasn't there with you the day the dog bit your friend, so I won't comment on what I think happened, but I have my ideas. It serves no purpose to keep going back and forth.

I grew up with probably a dozen different dog breeds (all sporting and working dogs). My experience with all those breeds is a factor in my conclusions. [B]You should get a Rottweiler[/B]. I was very apprehensive when I got my first one, too, but I've found that they truly are no different than the other dogs I have had. If you're a dog lover who truly knows how to properly care for a dog, you can't go wrong.[/quote]

Someday, I have wait for my current two to drop first, three would be too many!

Also, never ever get a Boarder Collie they are so damn smart they are impossible to "trick". Like if I have repair guy coming over I will tell the mutt look a bunny and he will run outside in to the gated back yard, works ever time! The BC will not fall for it,she gives you a look like there is no damn bunny out there it is winter jack ass, I am staying inside so I can sniff the repair guys balls!

Schneed10 03-03-2010 03:07 PM

See, the point is who the hell wants to live a life where a kid has to be supervised around the dog at all times? So I can't leave the room to get a beer, to go downstairs and put in a load of laundry, to hop in the shower real quick?

Dogs might have a 0% chance of attacking if trained properly, but training goes out the window if a kid cracks him in the nose with a sippy cup or pulls his tail.

The difference between a rottweiler or pitt bull and say a miniature schnauzer, is that the schnauzer will not kill a child when it attacks. And please, don't bother lecturing me and saying something like "well kids shouldn't be pulling dogs' tails". Well no shit, but they're kids, they do shit you don't want them to do and no parent can stop it 100% of the time.

And that's why the chance of attack is [B]never[/B] 0% when you combine children and dogs.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 03:15 PM

[quote=Schneed10;668396]See, the point is who the hell wants to live a life where a kid has to be supervised around the dog at all times? So I can't leave the room to get a beer, to go downstairs and put in a load of laundry, to hop in the shower real quick?

Dogs might have a 0% chance of attacking if trained properly, but training goes out the window if a kid cracks him in the nose with a sippy cup or pulls his tail.

The difference between a rottweiler or pitt bull and say a miniature schnauzer, is that the schnauzer will not kill a child when it attacks. And please, don't bother lecturing me and saying something like "well kids shouldn't be pulling dogs' tails". Well no shit, but they're kids, they do shit you don't want them to do and no parent can stop it 100% of the time.

And that's why the chance of attack is [B]never[/B] 0% when you combine children and dogs.[/quote]

I never said that, Schneed. What I said is still accurate.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 03:18 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;668258]I agree with cpayne's argument. You can't blame the dog in some instances, but i dont think that is the point we are trying to make.

The point in this case is that this dog was already a problem, and had attacked before. Leaving a 4 year old around a known dangerous animal was not good either.

It's a sad death, and one that perhaps could have been avoided.

I know here in virginia, if a dog attacks a human to the point that the person is injured/requires treatment, then the dog is taken by the police. I am not 100% sure that they euthanize it right away, but i imagine they do.

I know this because my neighbor 2 houses down had one of his dogs attack a runner last summer. No charges were filed on him, but his dog was taken and put down by the animal control.[/quote]

I missed this post somehow. There is actually a dangerous dog listing very similar to the sex offenders list. LE takes the dog after an attack, but generally they get returned to the owner if the owner agrees to stipulations, one being the bad doggy registration list.

firstdown 03-03-2010 03:47 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668402]I missed this post somehow. There is actually a dangerous dog listing very similar to the sex offenders list. LE takes the dog after an attack, but generally they get returned to the owner if the owner agrees to stipulations, one being the bad doggy registration list.[/quote]
In Virginia if I'm correct its either the dog is found not be a threat or its put down and the owner has no say in the matter.

FRPLG 03-03-2010 03:56 PM

[quote=cpayne5;668260]Raised and supervised properly, there is a 0% chance. If those two things don't exist, the chances, whatever they may be, are the same no matter the breed.[/quote]

You're contradicting yourself. You said you have to correct them. If there was 0% chance then you would never have to correct them. I don't think anyone is saying these dogs, raised properly, aren't pet worthy. I think everyone is saying giving the risk factors, previous behavior and tendencies, then the dog should not have been in the house. It is the owner's fault for sure but it's hard to make an argument that this breed of dog isn't inherently more dangerous than say a lab. If only just a little.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 03:57 PM

[quote=firstdown;668427]In Virginia if I'm correct its either the dog is found not be a threat or its put down and the owner has no say in the matter.[/quote]

Here's the dangerous dog registry...
[url=http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/dogs.shtml]VDACS - Regulatory Services - Animal Health and Welfare - Dangerous Dog Registry[/url]

The owner does have a say in the matter if the court does not rule that the dog must be euthanized. If the owner doesn't want the dog, it will probably be euthanized regardless. If the owner wants the dog, stipulations are placed, presumably.

SolidSnake84 03-03-2010 04:03 PM

Hey guys, i looked at that dangerous dog listing, and not to sound morbid, it is good for a laugh.

Loudon County, VA has more dangerous dogs than any city on the selectable list.

No kidding, there was a dog named "Poochie", who broke through a neighbor's privacy fence and killed the neighbor's cat...

Other reports of numerous mail carriers being bitten, and sadly, a few people attacked that led to their death.

Check out the list....it's very informative.

cpayne5 03-03-2010 04:05 PM

[quote=FRPLG;668435]You're contradicting yourself. You said you have to correct them. If there was 0% chance then you would never have to correct them. I don't think anyone is saying these dogs, raised properly, aren't pet worthy. I think everyone is saying giving the risk factors, previous behavior and tendencies, then the dog should not have been in the house. It is the owner's fault for sure but it's hard to make an argument that this breed of dog isn't inherently more dangerous than say a lab. If only just a little.[/quote]

No, I'm not. You stop behavior before it escalates to the point where someone can get hurt. Like I said, dogs have warning signs. When you first notice a warning sign, you can redirect its attention to let it know that that's not how you want it to act. Being a dog, it will listen to you, if you're firm. If you do nothing, the behavior will build to the point where either it fights or flees.

A dog doesn't have to bite someone in order to be taught that biting is not correct behavior.