Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Updated: Redskins Make Major Roster Cuts (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35479)

MTK 03-04-2010 10:45 AM

Updated: Redskins Make Major Roster Cuts

With an uncapped season in 2010, the Redskins are expected to cut many high-profile players with big contracts because, well, there are no cap ramifications. We decided to take a look at the most likely candidates to be released later today before the Redskins, minutes after midnight tonight, begin what many league observers believe will be an aggressive push in free agency under Coach Mike Shanahan.

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/free-agency/redskins-are-likely-to-make-to.html]Redskins Insider - Redskins are likely to make to make high-profile roster cuts[/url]

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 10:59 AM

re: Updated: Redskins Make Major Roster Cuts

Very interesting. I hate to see some of these guys go (maybe one or two is willing to come back at the vet minimum?) but the bottom line is that none of them won anything here and we have esteemed professionals running the show now.

Chico23231 03-04-2010 11:02 AM

I hope we smart enough to get of some of these bad contracts. I would disagree with Carter though, the guy has played well with the contract he has. Id like to see Portis name on that list as well.

skinsfan242 03-04-2010 11:06 AM

I hope we keep Carter and Griffin. The rest who cares.

artmonkforhallofamein07 03-04-2010 11:10 AM

Carter should be kept as he may have some value. The rest can go. I would like to see CP gone as well but it appears that he is staying.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 11:12 AM

[quote=Chico23231;668776]I hope we smart enough to get of some of these bad contracts. I would disagree with Carter though, the guy has played well with the contract he has. Id like to see Portis name on that list as well.[/quote]

Portis doesn't really apply because he gets 7 plus million regardless.

I like Carter too but frankly he has been pretty inconsistent playing the position he desired the last few years. I have a gut feeling that he may not fit in with their vision and he does have a pretty big deal.

The skins get some dead cap space by cutting them but this year that means nothing.

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/the-full-carter-and-randle-el.html]Redskins Insider - The Full Carter And Randle El Contracts[/url]

diehardskin2982 03-04-2010 11:16 AM

Carter can be traded in a package deal.

franklinhimself 03-04-2010 11:18 AM

Are Griffin and Carter not trade worthy? We wouldn't be able to trade those to for a Brandon Marshall or Julius Peppers, but why not try to trade them before cutting them?

No one's going to trade for a $3.9mill Fred Smoot contract, but Carter and Griffin's contracts look reasonable enough.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 11:22 AM

[quote=franklinhimself;668788]Are Griffin and Carter not trade worthy? We wouldn't be able to trade those to for a Brandon Marshall or Julius Peppers, but why not try to trade them before cutting them?

No one's going to trade for a $3.9mill Fred Smoot contract, but Carter and Griffin's contracts look reasonable enough.[/quote]

Carter gets a 7 million dollar roster bonus in August. A lot of teams may be more uncomfortable with that than we are.

Plus, couldn't you argue that a lot of guys would be double digit sack guys with Phat Al and Orakpo on the same line?

The criticism that I have heard on Carter is that basically he is a one move guy and a liability against the run. I like him but it seems that he just isn't worth was his deal pays him.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 11:23 AM

[quote=diehardskin2982;668786]Carter can be traded in a package deal.[/quote]

Why would anyone trade for him? They know we are thinking about cutting him.

Longtimefan 03-04-2010 11:27 AM

I agree with everyone on the list except Carter, he does have value but I don't know to what extent if the base defense is going to be 3-4. He may not be considered stout enough to play DE and may lack the skill set to play linebacker where he's experimented before. Where do you play him and on what downs, excepting the 4-3 or hybrid alignment?

diehardskin2982 03-04-2010 11:27 AM

The Washington Post thinks we may cut Carter.There has been no report from out of Redskins Park claiming we will be cutting him.

over the mountain 03-04-2010 11:35 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;668790]
The criticism that I have heard on Carter is that basically he is a one move guy and a liability against the run. I like him but it seems that he just isn't worth was his deal pays him.[/quote]

in watching carter play it seems all he did was try the speed move to the outside and around the tackle. that was certainly the case 2-3 years ago. this past year i cant say i saw him do this same move everytime like years past.

i didnt go to any games this year so i cant say for sure, but years past at games his one move was obvious.

this year looked like a different carter. i dont really know what to think of him now.

rock - man id hate to see him go just for special teams coverage. with the loss of kharey campbell and thrash, rock was making a ton of tackles on special teams.

any chance khary might be available for SP?

SirClintonPortis 03-04-2010 11:36 AM

I think Carter will stay because Haslett doesn't know who's going to be the two rushing OLBs that will make it work. Orakpo will likely work out, but whoever is opposite him is not yet determine because could be questionable.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 11:36 AM

[quote=diehardskin2982;668795]The Washington Post thinks we may cut Carter.There has been no report from out of Redskins Park claiming we will be cutting him.[/quote]

It would be foolish for them to release any reports on anything right now. I am assuming that Reid has a source or two that he is basing his article on.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-04-2010 11:38 AM

Why does Reid think these guys could be cut TODAY? whats the benefit of cutting them before the new league year begins?

SFREDSKIN 03-04-2010 11:42 AM

Fred Smoot is about to start his new bowling career at Midnight tonight.

Son Of Man 03-04-2010 11:48 AM

[quote=SirClintonPortis;668805]I think Carter will stay because Haslett doesn't know who's going to be the two rushing OLBs that will make it work. Orakpo will likely work out, but whoever is opposite him is not yet determine because could be questionable.[/quote]

I vote for Chris Wilson! That dude could be a solid playmaker in a 3-4 OLB role...he is a classic tweener.

Player_HTTR 03-04-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=Son Of Man;668814]I vote for Chris Wilson! That dude could be a solid playmaker in a 3-4 OLB role...he is a classic tweener.[/quote]

I really like Chris Wilson and think he would do well in a 3-4. He could be really good if coached up right. I think the potential is there but Blache's scheme hurt him more than helped him last year.

53Fan 03-04-2010 11:56 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;668811]Fred Smoot is about to start his new bowling career at Midnight tonight.[/quote]

:laughing2 He would actually be good for the sport.

Longtimefan 03-04-2010 11:57 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;668811]Fred Smoot is about to start his new bowling career at Midnight tonight.[/quote]

That's funny!!

Ruhskins 03-04-2010 11:58 AM

If Griffin could be a potential NT, shouldn't we keep him?

53Fan 03-04-2010 12:00 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;668826]If Griffin could be a potential NT, shouldn't we keep him?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.

freddyg12 03-04-2010 12:00 PM

Andre Carter has really played well here. His first year was rough, but even in it he made improvement. His play v. the run really improved. PLus, he's a solid team guy & he's always healthy. Same for Griff, though he's hurt a lot.

As always w/Jason Reid's insider blog I feel like his strategy is to throw out possibilities to the fans & get them thinking about things. He doesn't get as much "insider" opinion from anonymous sources, like JLC, but I think the Skins really put a stop to that (firing E. Byner perhaps?). In this post he doesn't actually give any source to say that the skins will cut any of these guys, he's just pointing out the big contracts that are vulnerable to cuts. He's right & w/B. Allen's history, we've got to expect some old fan faves to be axed. Sad, but true. I would like to see some guys offered reduced salaries, but that rarely works as a way to keep a player.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-04-2010 12:10 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;668826]If Griffin could be a potential NT, shouldn't we keep him?[/quote]

There's no need to. Reid's got it in his head that Hayneworth will be our starting NT. He's never cited a source with the team that expects Haynesworth to be NT. First he suggested it as a possibility and now he's repeated it so many times he beleives it himself. I think he's just [I]hoping[/I] it will happen, since Haynesworth doesn't want to play NT and it would create drama for him to report on and further disparage the skins. They haven't made any stupid decisions lately, and you know he's itching to criticize them for something.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 12:13 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;668837]There's no need to. Reid's got it in his head that Hayneworth will be our starting NT. He's never cited a source with the team that expects Haynesworth to be NT. First he suggested it as a possibility and now he's repeated it so many times he beleives it himself. I think he's just [I]hoping[/I] it will happen, since Haynesworth doesn't want to play NT and it would create drama for him to report on and further disparage the skins. They haven't made any stupid decisions lately, and you know he's itching to criticize them for something.[/quote]

Haynesworth is making 32 million in 14 months and physically is the best candidate for NT. Shouldn't he be willing to paint "no tailgaiting" signs if that is what they ask him to do?

MTK 03-04-2010 12:14 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;668837]There's no need to. Reid's got it in his head that Hayneworth will be our starting NT. He's never cited a source with the team that expects Haynesworth to be NT. First he suggested it as a possibility and now he's repeated it so many times he beleives it himself. I think he's just [I]hoping[/I] it will happen, since Haynesworth doesn't want to play NT and it would create drama for him to report on and further disparage the skins. They haven't made any stupid decisions lately, and you know he's itching to criticize them for something.[/quote]

On the flip side we've yet to see a source say that AH won't be playing NT, or that he doesn't want to.

I don't think he's hoping anything, he's just putting 1 + 1 together. Is it really a stretch to think AH will be playing the nose at least part of the time?

BigHairedAristocrat 03-04-2010 12:23 PM

well it hasn't even been confirmed that we're definitely switching to a 3-4... the most we've gotten is that we're switching to a 3-4 with a 4-man front which doesnt' really tell me anything. Haynesworth could very well play NT, but, from everything we know of his character, he wouldn't be happy there. From our perspective, we would be fools to force him into the role as our full-time NT. Reids making assumptions and treating them as fact, and thats the main thing I take issue with. I certainly don't see any reason we should be getting rid of Griff, especially considering how cheap he is.

If I had to predict, i'd say we played more 4-3 this year than anything else and that we'll switch to 3-4 when Haynesworth steps off the field to take his breathers.

MTK 03-04-2010 12:30 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;668847]well it hasn't even been confirmed that we're definitely switching to a 3-4... the most we've gotten is that we're switching to a 3-4 with a 4-man front which doesnt' really tell me anything. Haynesworth could very well play NT, but, from everything we know of his character, he wouldn't be happy there. From our perspective, we would be fools to force him into the role as our full-time NT. Reids making assumptions and treating them as fact, and thats the main thing I take issue with. I certainly don't see any reason we should be getting rid of Griff, especially considering how cheap he is.

If I had to predict, i'd say we played more 4-3 this year than anything else and that we'll switch to 3-4 when Haynesworth steps off the field to take his breathers.[/quote]

No, the move to the 3-4 hasn't been confirmed but all signs seem to be pointing in that direction.

I just don't see why we should assume AH would refuse to play the nose. Has he ever said anything in regard to not wanting to play NT in a 3-4?

You're getting on Reid for making assumptions, yet you're doing the same thing. His assumptions at least are based on a little more inside info than ours.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-04-2010 01:08 PM

i'm making assumptions and not presenting it as anything other than speculation. Reid is making assumptions and stating them as fact. haynesworth is very vocal about his opinions, so i'm sure once he officially knows how he'll be used, we'll hear his opinion.

MTK 03-04-2010 01:10 PM

[QUOTE="BigHairedAristocrat"]i'm making assumptions and not presenting it as anything other than speculation. Reid is making assumptions and stating them as fact. haynesworth is very vocal about his opinions, so i'm sure once he officially knows how he'll be used, we'll hear his opinion.[/QUOTE]

Your assumptions come off a little more strongly than speculation, just sayin'

CultBrennan59 03-04-2010 01:11 PM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;668779]Carter should be kept as he may have some value. The rest can go. I would like to see CP gone as well but it appears that he is staying.[/quote]

agreed I think we could get a 4th or a 5th at the least for him. The rest can be banished from this team.

Defensewins 03-04-2010 02:41 PM

It is not good the WP article used the base salary number rather than the more important Cap number. Reason being there is a huge discrepancy between some of the players cap and base number. More importantly the cap is coming back in 2011 and now is the time to purge some these ridiculously over priced players. For example:

1) [B]Andre Carter[/B]'s 2010 base is listed at only $1.3M but he will take up $5.2M in the cap. At least according to our cap sheet. He ain't worth that.

2) [B]Clinton Portis[/B] $10M+ for the next four years. Not durable enough for a $10m back.

3) Randy Thoms $5.4M...Bye Bye!

4) London Fletcher $7.1M the next two years. Love the guy...but.

5) Freddy Smoot $5.4M in 2010 and $6.9M! in 2011. Bye bye.

6) Todd Collins $3.5M Has to go.

The only twp people I would want to see come back is Griffen and Smoot.
Smoot is not worth $5.4M for 2010. So he would have to be be cut and hopefully agree to come back at $1M and play nickle back safety only. His days as a man cover corner are nearly gone. He can get away with it for a play or two but he can not start an entire game and be great at corner.
Griffen at $2M is a bargain considering when he is healthy the guy is still a handful for most OL.
Carter is a good player but he has not blossomed or lived up to the $5.2M cap space he will take up next year.

MTK 03-04-2010 02:58 PM

You want to cut Fletcher??

GTripp0012 03-04-2010 03:00 PM

Think he was just pointing out that at $7.1 million, he's not a good value next year. If he thinks he should be cut, I would disagree.

Lotus 03-04-2010 03:00 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;668847]well it hasn't even been confirmed that we're definitely switching to a 3-4... the most we've gotten is that we're switching to a 3-4 with a 4-man front which doesnt' really tell me anything. Haynesworth could very well play NT, but, from everything we know of his character, he wouldn't be happy there. From our perspective, we would be fools to force him into the role as our full-time NT. Reids making assumptions and treating them as fact, and thats the main thing I take issue with. I certainly don't see any reason we should be getting rid of Griff, especially considering how cheap he is.

[B]If I had to predict, i'd say we played more 4-3 this year than anything else and that we'll switch to 3-4 when Haynesworth steps off the field to take his breathers.[/B][/quote]

After hearing Shanny gush about the 3-4 during his combine interview, my assumption is that we will be going whole-hog 3-4 sooner rather than later.

Pocket$ $traight 03-04-2010 03:03 PM

[quote=Mattyk;668948]You want to cut Fletcher??[/quote]

Cutting Fletcher and wanting to keep Smoot and Griffin doesn't make sense to me.

Fletcher may not be at his peak but he is still pretty close and (knock on wood) he is an alien when it comes to staying healthy.

SirClintonPortis 03-04-2010 03:06 PM

If I had to predict, i'd say we played more 4-3 this year than anything else and that we'll switch to 3-4 when Haynesworth steps off the field to take his breathers.[/quote]
4-man fronts are not uncommon even for 3-4 teams. Just check some Ware highlights and you'll see him frequently with the his hand in the dirt.

Defensewins 03-04-2010 03:17 PM

[quote=Mattyk;668948]You want to cut Fletcher??[/quote]

Of course not. He is the heart of this team. But he does have a big cap number.
My point is now is the time to dump some of these painfully back loaded deals, like Portis or Randy Thomas.
My list was just pointing to players with big cap numbers as compared to their relatively modest base salary.
In reference to Smoot and Griffen being the only two I would keep, that is drawn from the much smaller[B] WP list in the article[/B]. Not form my list. I want Fletch to retire with us. He reminds me of a much better and more athletic Neil Olkewitz (sp?). Someone that will go through a brick wall to win a game. He is a keeper. The problem that Fletch my encounter in the next few years is I am not sure how he will do as an inside 3-4 LB? I love the guy as a Redskin. But [B]IF[/B] we switch to 3-4 def full time and Fletch can not keep up his high level, $7.1M is a big number for a possible square peg in a round hole. Just something to think about.

Sorry I was not clear.

Ruhskins 03-04-2010 04:07 PM

Looks like the Redskins have begun with their cuts....

[QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/RickMaese"]RickMaese [/URL]

Redskins cuts are beginning: RB Rock Cartwright will be released, according to league source[/QUOTE]