Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please Define A "True Number One" Receiver (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35742)

53Fan 03-23-2010 11:44 AM

Re: Please Define A "True Number One" Receiver

[quote=tryfuhl;677505]Yeah that comment from Edwin made me cringe.[/quote]

Yeah, that really doesn't sound like a very structured workout program. Listening to DT talk about Shanny telling him to make sure he learns the playbook because they're going to be moving him around has got me pretty excited about seeing what this offense can be under this coaching staff.

SmootSmack 03-23-2010 11:47 AM

Seems like Shanahan's attitude, unlike Zorn's, is you're all professional football players so I'm going to throw the kitchen sink of plays at you and expect you to learn them. I'm not going to slowly ease you into learning the playbook.

We'll see how that plays out

tryfuhl 03-23-2010 11:57 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;677512]Seems like Shanahan's attitude, unlike Zorn's, is you're all professional football players so I'm going to throw the kitchen sink of plays at you and expect you to learn them. I'm not going to slowly ease you into learning the playbook.

We'll see how that plays out[/quote]

Zorn didn't even have a bathroom sink to throw, much less kitchen. I guess you can argue he tried to work with what he could but ehh

MTK 03-23-2010 12:00 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;677512]Seems like Shanahan's attitude, unlike Zorn's, is you're all professional football players so I'm going to throw the kitchen sink of plays at you and expect you to learn them. I'm not going to slowly ease you into learning the playbook.

We'll see how that plays out[/quote]

I think that's what you have to do. This is pro football, toss the whole damn playbook at them and let them sink or swim.

saden1 03-23-2010 02:10 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;677521]Zorn didn't even have a bathroom sink to throw, much less kitchen. I guess you can argue he tried to work with what he could but ehh[/quote]

The dude didn't even practice situational plays. I wish I had the opportunity to throw an actual kitchen sink at him.

saden1 03-23-2010 02:12 PM

[quote=Mattyk;677525]I think that's what you have to do. This is pro football, toss the whole damn playbook at them and let them sink or swim.[/quote]

They have 5 months before the season starts...first month you take it easy and teach the basics, everything is game after that.

MTK 03-23-2010 02:16 PM

[quote=saden1;677603][B]The dude didn't even practice situational plays[/B]. I wish I had the opportunity to throw an actual kitchen sink at him.[/quote]

That's really insane to me. I was under the impression situational football was something every team coached. 2 min drills, 4 min drills, etc. Guess that's why we never saw any sense of urgency in games during these types of situations.

Maybe Zorn was going to roll that out in year 3? :doh:

saden1 03-23-2010 02:18 PM

As for the original question, a #1 WR is someone that doesn't drop balls when his wide open. Some one you can count on to get you that first down on a third down pass. Someone that can get open at will. Someone that you have to double team if you're a defense. Someone who loves to play in the NFL. Someone that doesn't cower when he sees the safety coming to lay wood on him. Someone that goes and gets the ball not waits for it. Someone that doesn't take plays off and goes 100% even when the ball isn't going to be thrown his way. Someone that makes his QB better. Someone like Larry Fitzgerald, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and Wes Welker.

halodoc 03-23-2010 02:41 PM

A true #1 WR is a guy that only Champ Bailey , Darrel Revis , or Nnamdi Asomugha can cover.

tryfuhl 03-23-2010 03:13 PM

[quote=halodoc;677623]A true #1 WR is a guy that only Champ Bailey , Darrel Revis , or Nnamdi Asomugha can cover.[/quote]

Interesting.

saden1 03-23-2010 03:24 PM

I have never seen a CB as good as [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Sunday-Spotlight-Help-I-m-lost-on-Revis-Islan?urn=nfl,211489"]Darrelle Revis[/URL], not Champ not Deion IMO. Revis is on another level.

The Goat 03-23-2010 08:59 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;677499]Devin: "Coach [Shanahan] was like, 'You guys really ran this!?!?' I mean...our formations were so predictable...the way we lined up. They knew what we were running every time."

[url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/3/22/1384615/devin-thomas-sheds-some-light-on]Devin Thomas Sheds Some Light on New Mike Shanahan Scheme - Hogs Haven[/url][/quote]

Good read. Devin better be a monster when he sees the field this year, and he should see the field a lot.