Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Haynesworth Missing From Redskins Offseason Workouts (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35766)

skinsfaninok 03-21-2010 10:58 AM

Haynesworth Missing From Redskins Offseason Workouts

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/report-haynesworth-showed-up-then-ditched-first-week-of-offseason-workouts/]Report: Haynesworth showed up, then ditched first week of offseason workouts | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

mlmdub130 03-21-2010 10:58 AM

Report: Haynesworth showed up, then ditched first week of offseason workouts

it's on pft and csnwashington, the joy ride had to end sometime now the drama returns. hopefully it is just a bump in the road and shanny can convince him to give the 3-4 a shot.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/report-haynesworth-showed-up-then-ditched-first-week-of-offseason-workouts/]Report: Haynesworth showed up, then ditched first week of offseason workouts | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

[url=http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/landing_redskins/?blockID=201348&feedID=2993]Haynesworth Missing From Redskins Offseason Workouts[/url]

47FAN 03-21-2010 11:14 AM

re: Haynesworth Missing From Redskins Offseason Workouts

VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS.......not to worried about it........

Chico23231 03-21-2010 11:17 AM

Had a strange feeling he didnt want to be a part of the 3-4 alignment...this must be intrepreted as acting out against it. Not too cool IMO when your making that much money. I thought Blache was the issue, now that excuse has run dry...I'll wait and see, but if he is a continueing issue, WITH THIS MUCH MONEY AT STAKE we need to explore maybe other avenues...

MTK 03-21-2010 11:21 AM

uh oh let's assume the worst in 1... 2... 3

skinster 03-21-2010 11:23 AM

[quote=mattyk;676974]uh oh let's assume the worst in 1... 2... 3[/quote]

albert dies from lack of offseason workouts!

schndr_tdd 03-21-2010 11:24 AM

Trade him,eat a few million, get rid of the cancer before it spreads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47FAN 03-21-2010 11:32 AM

we know he was there at the start unless mikes 100% didnt include albert

diehardskin2982 03-21-2010 11:33 AM

All we know is he apparently left after the first day. We don't know if he had an exscused absence. We will see how it plays out.

over the mountain 03-21-2010 11:50 AM

i didnt expect AH to show up for all the voluntary workouts, being a team leader or really committing himself 100% despite his "i want to be one of the greats" talk at his press conf after we signed him.

that contract of his cuts both ways. the skins have flexibility in a few years to get out of it relatively easily but that was made possible by the skins giving him that 22.1 million dollar signing bonus due in 2010.

while im going to take this for what it is, i cant help but wonder what he is going to do (or not do) after that 22 million check clears. honestly, what makes most financial sense for him is to collect the 22 million then demand a trade or release so that he can sign a new contract. i do think AH has zero loyalties to us.

in 2011 or 2012, when that 22 mil is spent, is he going to be happy making 5 mil a year for the next 3-4 years?

so far he is exactly what we were told he would be, for better and worse.

takethecake 03-21-2010 11:57 AM

I really don't think we should be trading big al... I actually can't believe that possibility was even mentioned in that article.

diehardskin2982 03-21-2010 12:18 PM

^only way I'd even consider trading Haynesworth is if Suh falls to us, and even then I wouldn't do it.

GMScud 03-21-2010 12:47 PM

I hope no one is surprised. This guys has always been a bad apple. He's not a leader, never has been. When a coach like Shanahan is openly asking for good attendance and our highest paid player blows him off... well, it reaffirms what we've always known about him.

Lotus 03-21-2010 12:57 PM

This is not good news. It also is not the end of the world. Let's see what happens on autumn Sundays.

dmek25 03-21-2010 01:07 PM

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...ut-regime.html"]http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...ut-regime.html[/URL]
does it matter where he works out?

dmek25 03-21-2010 01:08 PM

Haynesworth's workout regime
On Saturday, Kelli Johnson, one of my favorite people at Comcast Sports Net, Tweeted that Albert Haynesworth reported for last week's orientation at Redskins Park but missed the workouts of the offseason conditioning program.

Kelli is among the best reporters in the market, and her information, once again, is dead-on accurate. Haynesworth did not participate in the opening week of conditioning and film study at the complex.

But here's the thing: He never intended to and the Redskins were made aware of his plans, people familiar with the situation said. There was a lot of Internet speculation that Haynesworth would skip all of last week's events at the complex because he's supposedly upset about having to play nose tackle more frequently than he would prefer in the Redskins' new base 3-4 defense.

Haynesworth, however, has not commented publicly on his situation since the end of last season. Before the workouts began, I wrote Haynesworth planned to be present on the first day, and he showed up to listen to Coach Mike Shanahan address the entire team for the first time.

Haynesworth also participated in other first-day activities. But Haynesworth, who is determined to have a big year in 2010, comitted to an individual workout regime with a trainer before the Redskins' plans were set, according to the people with knowledge of the situation.

Haynesworth is following an intense offseason workout program under the guidance of the same trainer who helped him reach all-pro status during the 2007-08 seasons. Shanahan made it clear he wanted his "team leaders" to report to Ashburn for the conditioning program, and Haynesworth, who has talked with the team about his offseason schedule, believed it was important to be there on the first day. And Haynesworth is "gonna be around" the complex as the workouts progress, one of the sources said.

As I reported last week, Haynesworth and the Redskins in January discussed Haynesworth's new role during a meeting at the complex, and there have been follow-up conversations, team sources said. Would Shanahan prefer to have Haynesworth in Ashburn year-round for the positive statement that would make? Probably.

But Shanahan, I think, realizes that Haynesworth could be the key to his plan to shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4. Haynesworth showed respect to Shanahan by attending on the first day for something that is voluntary under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

Despite Shanahan's tough talk about players needing to show their commitment to the program if they want to be on the team, the reality is that didn't apply to Haynesworth. The Redskins will cut him a check for a guaranteed $21 million option bonus in April, and Haynesworth's 2010 and 2011 base salaries are guaranteed, too.

With the money Haynesworth is guaranteed, there's no way the Redskins would cut him for not reporting. Moreover, regardless if some in the main building believe
Haynesworth has a bad attitude (and trust us, some do), the coaching staff knows they need the guy because he's one of few elite players on the roster.

Haynesworth met Shanahan halfway in appearing on the first day of the program. Perhaps Shanahan made a positive gesture in accepting Haynesworth won't be around all the time. That certainly not a perfect union -- but it's a start.
heres the article. the link isnt working

rbanerjee23 03-21-2010 01:22 PM

haha he's a douchebag is it a big surprise he is going to b**** about it the first time he runs into something he doesn't like....I am really interested in seeing how Shanny deals with it

GMScud 03-21-2010 01:27 PM

Great comment from a poster on the original CSN article:
[I]
"Albert, by virtue of his salary, exceptional talent, and his loathsome lack of conditioning last year is going to be the poster child for then new Redskin attitude. If he shows up for camp in Shamu Shape again--Shanny will be Kickin his FannY!!!!"[/I]

I lol'd.

MTK 03-21-2010 01:44 PM

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/haynesworths-workout-regime.html]Redskins Insider - Haynesworth's workout regime[/url]

Longtimefan 03-21-2010 01:48 PM

[quote=Lotus;676990]This is not good news. It also is not the end of the world. Let's see what happens on autumn Sundays.[/quote]

I haven't heard any specific details as to why he left, neither do I want to jump to any conclusions without knowing all the facts.

Dirtbag59 03-21-2010 01:59 PM

[quote=schndr_tdd;676976]Trade him,eat a few million, get rid of the cancer before it spreads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Repo men are coming.

GMScud 03-21-2010 02:00 PM

[quote=Mattyk;676997][URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/haynesworths-workout-regime.html"]Redskins Insider - Haynesworth's workout regime[/URL][/quote]

That's a nice article and all, but didn't we hear the same thing in years past about Portis staying in Miami and "working out" at the U, only to see him show up doughy and out of shape? Where was Haynesworth's offseason commitment last year after all his big talk when we signed him? Now all of a sudden he's committed to having a big year? Puuuuh-lease.

The bottom part of this Jason Reid article really tells the tale:

[I]Despite Shanahan's tough talk about players needing to show their commitment to the program if they want to be on the team, the reality is that didn't apply to Haynesworth. The Redskins will cut him a check for a guaranteed $21 million option bonus in April, and Haynesworth's 2010 and 2011 base salaries are guaranteed, too.[/I]
[I]With the money Haynesworth is guaranteed, there's no way the Redskins would cut him for not reporting. Moreover, regardless if some in the main building believe Haynesworth has a bad attitude (and trust us, some do), the coaching staff knows they need the guy because he's one of few elite players on the roster.[/I]

So basically both parties know damn well he's not going anywhere for financial reasons. His agent probably told him to show up day 1 for PR purposes, then go do whatever the hell you want. Why anyone is giving this guy the benefit of the doubt is beyond me. From the standpoint of a Redskins fan I sure hope he's working hard on his own, but after last season I'll believe it when I see it.

I just don't like the dude.

GusFrerotte 03-21-2010 02:28 PM

[quote=over the mountain;676979]i didnt expect AH to show up for all the voluntary workouts, being a team leader or really committing himself 100% despite his "i want to be one of the greats" talk at his press conf after we signed him.

that contract of his cuts both ways. the skins have flexibility in a few years to get out of it relatively easily but that was made possible by the skins giving him that 22.1 million dollar signing bonus due in 2010.

while im going to take this for what it is, i cant help but wonder what he is going to do (or not do) after that 22 million check clears. honestly, what makes most financial sense for him is to collect the 22 million then demand a trade or release so that he can sign a new contract. i do think AH has zero loyalties to us
in 2011 or 2012, when that 22 mil is spent, is he going to be happy making 5 mil a year for the next 3-4 years?

so far he is exactly what we were told he would be, for better and worse.[/quote]

This will be the icing on the cake for the Danny to stop the ridiculous spending for free agents, especially fat bastards like AH.

Dirtbag59 03-21-2010 02:36 PM

So what happened? Did he hire a different trainer for the 2009 season or did he just spend all of his time downing beers before games and buying yachts?

cpayne5 03-21-2010 03:32 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;677003]So what happened? Did he hire a different trainer for the 2009 season or did he just spend all of his time downing beers before games and buying yachts?[/quote]

I thought he came to Ashburn for workouts last year, no? Pretty sure.

Anyway, he's going back to the trainer he used in the 2007 and 2008 offseasons. He was an All-Pro and Pro Bowler for both of those seasons. I have a hard time crucifying the guy for this move.

One thing I don't get is where all the talk about him being unhappy about becoming a nose tackle is coming from. From the start, AH has said that his greatest asset to the team is his ability to eat blockers to make his teammates better. Sounds like a NT to me.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-21-2010 03:35 PM

I also hate that everyone calls him Fat Al. Ridiculous. He definitely does some knucklehead things but the Redskins obviously had a better defense with him there.

GMScud 03-21-2010 04:00 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;677007]I also hate that everyone calls him Fat Al. Ridiculous. He definitely does some knucklehead things but the Redskins obviously had a better defense with him there.[/quote]

Well, he's fat and his name is Albert....

The Goat 03-21-2010 04:15 PM

[quote=GMScud;677008]Well, he's fat and his name is Albert....[/quote]

Simple yet hilarious.

This off-season workout stuff shouldn't be rocket science. I understand a player like Haynesworth wanting his own elite trainer to put together the best regimen, but why can't that be done at Redskins Park? All these stories pretend like working out on the campus and having a specific regimen w/ your trainer are mutually exclusive...they're not. It should all be about team right now so Albert should be there regardless of what kind of workout he does.

PHazard 03-21-2010 04:15 PM

[quote=gmscud;677008]well, he's fat and his name is albert....[/quote]

lmfao!

DCtoAZ 03-21-2010 04:20 PM

who cares about this story .. LAME ... he'll be fine and he's certainly not going anywhere

Lotus 03-21-2010 04:23 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;677007]I also hate that everyone calls him Fat Al. Ridiculous. He definitely does some knucklehead things but the Redskins obviously had a better defense with him there.[/quote]

I have called him Phat Al yet I meant no offense. He makes our short yardage D positively ferocious, among other things. He has my admiration when he is on the field.

Defensewins 03-21-2010 04:27 PM

He is an adult, it is the off season and this is a [B][U]voluntary[/U][/B] work event.
When he fails to show up to a mandatory event then then start whining.

cpayne5 03-21-2010 04:32 PM

[quote=The Goat;677011]Simple yet hilarious.

This off-season workout stuff shouldn't be rocket science. I understand a player like Haynesworth wanting his own elite trainer to put together the best regimen, but why can't that be done at Redskins Park? All these stories pretend like working out on the campus and having a specific regimen w/ your trainer are mutually exclusive...they're not. It should all be about team right now so Albert should be there regardless of what kind of workout he does.[/quote]

I don't know that this is necessarily the case. I doubt that his trainer is exclusively his (the guy has other clients). He would need to uproot, from wherever he currently is, and move to the NOVA area in order to continue his sessions with 92.

Pocket$ $traight 03-21-2010 04:34 PM

Those who say he should be cut because of this are detached from reality. Seriously, smarten' up.

Shanahan asked for team leaders to be there, who said Al is a team leader? Just because you are the highest paid doesn't mean you are a leader (see CP).

It is also jumping to conclusions to say he is unhappy. If he was unhappy, he wouldn't have shown up the first day.

People need to calm down. When you pay someone 41 million guaranteed, you have set yourself up for this type of thing.

I am happy to see that he is preparing himself for another All Pro season.

The Goat 03-21-2010 04:37 PM

[quote=cpayne5;677017]I don't know that this is necessarily the case. I doubt that his trainer is exclusively his (the guy has other clients). He would need to uproot, from wherever he currently is, and move to the NOVA area in order to continue his sessions with 92.[/quote]

That's interesting and certainly possible. I wonder if the trainer comes to Al or vice-versa as you say?

Ruhskins 03-21-2010 05:11 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;677018]Those who say he should be cut because of this are detached from reality. Seriously, smarten' up.

Shanahan asked for team leaders to be there, who said Al is a team leader? Just because you are the highest paid doesn't mean you are a leader (see CP).

It is also jumping to conclusions to say he is unhappy. If he was unhappy, he wouldn't have shown up the first day.

People need to calm down. When you pay someone 41 million guaranteed, you have set yourself up for this type of thing.

[B]I am happy to see that he is preparing himself for another All Pro season[/B].[/quote]

Agreed. I can't believe Redskins fans would get caught up in PFT's TMZ-like reporting crap.

Swarley 03-21-2010 05:37 PM

What I find really interesting is how Jason Reid's spin on this is miles away from what we would have read if JLC was still the "Redskins Insider"

NYCskinfan82 03-21-2010 07:17 PM

I'm not happy but it is voluntary, & if he's working with his own PT then so be as long as he produces on the field then i guess it is what it is.

CultBrennan59 03-21-2010 08:09 PM

I disagree with people that say that these are voluntary because its no biggie. If Portis and Landry showed up, then you should, because those are some of the biggest slackers on the skins, and it shows that they're starting to buying shanahans philosophy. Albert not being here shows that he could care less, and now he's the only one who decides that he's too good or too in shape(LOL) to be here. I say that just because of this his chances of him not playing for us next year just went up a little.

Pocket$ $traight 03-21-2010 08:17 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;677063]I disagree with people that say that these are voluntary because its no biggie. If Portis and Landry showed up, then you should, because those are some of the biggest slackers on the skins, and it shows that they're starting to buying shanahans philosophy. Albert not being here shows that he could care less, and now he's the only one who decides that he's too good or too in shape(LOL) to be here. I say that just because of this his chances of him not playing for us next year just went up a little.[/quote]

Portis is fighting for a roster spot.

Again, more hatred towards Landry.... Did I miss the report that Landry skips practice all the time? Maybe I am wrong, I just don't remember hearing that Landry is "one of the biggest slackers".