Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35770)

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 03:19 PM

At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?

Interesting question here. With the Seahawks, Broncos, and likely Bills as well hedging their bets against having to take a quarterback to play right away, the market for quarterbacks appears a lot like it was in 2007. That's to say that the projections that the team picking first is going to take a quarterback seems more solid every day, but that a lot of teams picking in the top 10-15 already have opening day quarterbacks.

The question is this: how far up would you be willing to to get Jimmy Clausen as he falls? Keep in mind that the price of each pick is exponentially steeper. To trade up from the 36th pick to the 22nd pick to get their QB in 2007, the Browns gave up their first round pick the following year. In 2006, we went up about 9 picks in the second round to get Rocky McIntosh, and gave up our second rounder the following year.

We could probably get up to about where the Colts are (31st overall) with just our fourth round pick, but any higher than that, we're looking at trading away our first or second round picks in 2011.

This hypothetical assumes that we take an offensive tackle with the 4th overall pick. It's probably reasonable to assume that if Clausen is falling, we could have any other quarterback in the draft besides him (and obviously Bradford) in the second round. So, if you think Jimmy Clausen is worth more than just our second round pick, let's put a price on him.

Options are:

-I would not be willing to use the 37th overall pick on Jimmy Clausen
-I would be willing to spend the 37th overall pick on Clausen, but not trade up for him
-I would be willing to trade our fourth round pick to move up 2-6 spots and ensure that we get him, even if it looks like we can get him at 37.
-I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.
-If Jimmy Clausen is available after the 16th pick in the first round, we should trade our 2011 first rounder to ensure we get him.

Note: in all situations, you would be using the second round pick in part of the trade/selection process.

Chico23231 03-22-2010 03:26 PM

Re: At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?

I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.

good value here and he would be worth taking...i know he isnt part of the question, but Colt McCoy (think he would be there) at our current second round slot would be my preference taking OT King Kung with our first

Monkeydad 03-22-2010 03:32 PM

^ I agree with the second portion of your post.

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 03:33 PM

Obviously, I would take McCoy over Clausen, especially if I have the ability to save draft picks. But in a vacuum, this is still a question of getting value on a draft choice at quarterback, which is what makes the question so interesting to me.

DBUCHANON101 03-22-2010 03:37 PM

If he falls to 4th and the Skins pass and take a OT like they should i dont think he would make it out of the top 15 so i really cant see a way to land him without giving up next yrs first. So i am against this move. just my 2

tootergray34 03-22-2010 03:40 PM

idiots...Mccoy is going to be awful...why are people thinking we would take him? You have to look at the only 3 QB's that we are interested in seeing work out...bradford, clausen, and tebow. It's going to be one of those 3..and with bradford going first, we are taking clausen...best case scenario is trading our 2nd next year to get another first to get an OL...perhaps Iupiati, or B. Campbell, or A. Davis. BUT, we can't miss on Clausen, he is the best prospect at QB in a while, we will be set if we get him.

DBUCHANON101 03-22-2010 03:44 PM

IMO The only way they get Clausen is if they trade JC--Buffalo?--. I dont see it happening but stranger things have happened.

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 03:47 PM

If we did trade up to get Clausen, I'd imagine he would be the opening day starter. And that we'd probably acquire a mid-round pick for Campbell in an attempt to help mitigate the picks lost in a trade up.

All the more reason that I wouldn't throw too much pick compensation at a secondary issue such as who our QB is this year, but the draft is a dynamic thing, so the question is worth asking.

Ruhskins 03-22-2010 03:50 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;677247]If we did trade up to get Clausen, I'd imagine he would be the opening day starter. And that we'd probably acquire a mid-round pick for Campbell in an attempt to help mitigate the picks lost in a trade up.

All the more reason that I wouldn't throw too much pick compensation at a secondary issue such as who our QB is this year, but the draft is a dynamic thing, so the question is worth asking.[/quote]

Tripp (or anyone), would you give up our 2011 first rounder to acquire a second 2010 first round pick so we can pick up both a first-round QB and a first-round tackle? Like for instance if Bradford were to fall to us to #4 (I know very unlikely for him to fall).

celts32 03-22-2010 03:54 PM

If were trading I would prefer a trade up from #4 to #1 to get Bradford but I guess since were talking Clausen:

-I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.

However, if Shanny feels strongly enough about Clausen to trade up for him I think he should just take him at #4 and asure he gets him.

tryfuhl 03-22-2010 04:00 PM

[quote=tootergray34;677243]idiots...Mccoy is going to be awful...why are people thinking we would take him? You have to look at the only 3 QB's that we are interested in seeing work out...bradford, clausen, and tebow. It's going to be one of those 3..and with bradford going first, we are taking clausen...best case scenario is trading our 2nd next year to get another first to get an OL...perhaps Iupiati, or B. Campbell, or A. Davis. BUT, we can't miss on Clausen, he is the best prospect at QB in a while, we will be set if we get him.[/quote]

This is the stupidest thing that I've ever read.

celts32 03-22-2010 04:05 PM

[quote=tootergray34;677243]idiots...Mccoy is going to be awful...why are people thinking we would take him? You have to look at the only 3 QB's that we are interested in seeing work out...bradford, clausen, and tebow. It's going to be one of those 3..and with bradford going first, we are taking clausen...best case scenario is trading our 2nd next year to get another first to get an OL...perhaps Iupiati, or B. Campbell, or A. Davis. BUT, we can't miss on Clausen, he is the best prospect at QB in a while, we will be set if we get him.[/quote]

Idiots is a little rough chief. Those workouts mean nothing...Bradford and Clausen workouts are obvious ones since they have the #4 overall pick but they could purposely not schedule a meeting with the QB they like best outside the top guys just to hide their interest. Remember in Denver no one knew Shanny was targeting Cutler.

Dirtbag59 03-22-2010 04:07 PM

At this point the Skins front office is playing it very close to the vest. I have a hard time believing that the draft will be any different, leading me to believe that they'll either try to trade down or draft who they believe to be the best available tackle.

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 04:12 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;677248]Tripp (or anyone), would you give up our 2011 first rounder to acquire a second 2010 first round pick so we can pick up both a first-round QB and a first-round tackle? Like for instance if Bradford were to fall to us to #4 (I know very unlikely for him to fall).[/quote]For a bunch of reasons, just trading the 2011 first rounder would be insufficient to get back into the first round, it would have to be paired with the second rounder.

Given the quality of this draft and the uncertainty of future drafts, I would be willing to trade the 2011 first rounder to get a player that we are targeting in the second round who we feel can be an immediate impact player (someone who, obviously, we have a first round grade on). This pick would almost certainly come after our 37th overall second rounder, and thus, would seemingly not be necessary unless we use one of the first two picks on a QB.

12thMan 03-22-2010 04:17 PM

GTripp, I don't follow your logic of taking Colt McCoy over Jimmy Clausen. At least the part about saving picks. It makes no difference unless you flat out believe that McCoy is plainly a better quarterback than Clausen. And if you do, then you're certainly in the minority on this one, which is fine too. But saving picks for the sake of "saving picks", yet drafting an inferior quarterback accomplishes nothing. You draft a quarterback with the intention that he'll someday lead your franchise and lead it well.

Either Colt McCoy is better than Clausen and deserves to be drafted higher or he isn't. Adding picks to the equation does nothing for me when you're drafting a quarterback. It's a make or break position.

WaldSkins 03-22-2010 04:24 PM

[quote=celts32;677249][B]If were trading I would prefer a trade up from #4 to #1 to get Bradford but I guess since were talking Clausen:[/B]

However, if Shanny feels strongly enough about Clausen to trade up for him I think he should just take him at #4 and asure he gets him.[/quote]

I would much rather trade up for Bradford

TheMalcolmConnection 03-22-2010 04:24 PM

You think a team would trade a first this year for our second next year?

[IMG]http://threadbombing.com/data/media/31/f53sle.gif[/IMG]

sandtrapjack 03-22-2010 04:42 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;677239]Obviously, I would take McCoy over Clausen, especially if I have the ability to save draft picks. But in a vacuum, this is still a question of getting value on a draft choice at quarterback, which is what makes the question so interesting to me.[/quote]
I've seen a mock or 2 that have McCoy going to the Redskins in the second round.

All mocks I have seen have Clausen picked in round 1, not much lower that #9 (Buffalo).

McCoy would not be a bad fit at all under Shanahan, his style of passing would do well there.

tryfuhl 03-22-2010 04:55 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;677259]You think a team would trade a first this year for our second next year?

[/quote]

I think that he meant along with our 2nd this year

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 05:03 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;677261]I've seen a mock or 2 that have McCoy going to the Redskins in the second round.

All mocks I have seen have Clausen picked in round 1, not much lower that #9 (Buffalo).

McCoy would not be a bad fit at all under Shanahan, his style of passing would do well there.[/quote]My idea was that, in 2007, no one had Quinn falling past Miami. But once the Raiders opted not to take him at no. 1, the quality of the draft at other positions kept making him everyone's second option. And before you knew it, he was in the 20s.

The other comparison I have would be 2005, with Rodgers falling and Campbell rising, and they end up going with back to back picks (after, remember, the Raiders traded up to get Aaron Rodgers and then didn't take him).

over the mountain 03-22-2010 05:14 PM

Options are:

-I would not be willing to use the 37th overall pick on Jimmy Clausen
-I would be willing to spend the 37th overall pick on Clausen, but not trade up for him
-I would be willing to trade our fourth round pick to move up 2-6 spots and ensure that we get him, even if it looks like we can get him at 37.
-If Jimmy Clausen is available after the 16th pick in the first round, we should trade our 2011 first rounder to ensure we get him.

Note: in all situations, you would be using the second round pick in part of the trade/selection process.

-----------------------------------------------------

Honestly, this all depends on what our draft grade of him is. The higher I have him graded, the more willing id be to move into a position to draft him. If i had him as a top 5 pick, id just pick him with the 4th overall.

I guess (if i had to under the parameters you laid out) id:

1) of course draft him at 37
2) if i had him as a top 10 grade; id also be willing to part with the 37th and next years 2nd rounder.
3) if i was convinced he is going to be the best qb prospect in this years and next years draft; id trade the 37th and next years first to land him.

CultBrennan59 03-22-2010 05:47 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;677259]You think a team would trade a first this year for our second next year?

[IMG]http://threadbombing.com/data/media/31/f53sle.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Well actually the Panthers traded there first rounder for this year last year for San Francisco's second rounder last year.

Trample the Elderly 03-22-2010 05:53 PM

Hmm . . . "At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?"

When he bends over and kisses his own ass.

Player_HTTR 03-22-2010 06:05 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;677281]Hmm . . . "At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?"

When he bends over and kisses his own ass.[/quote]

With hard hat made of lit sparklers strapped to his head.

Lotus 03-22-2010 06:10 PM

I'm still not sure that Clausen gets past the Bills at pick #9. Whether that is an overdraft or not, that seems to me like reality.

warpaint 03-22-2010 06:13 PM

COLT MCCOYS STATS
Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2006 217 318 2570 68.2 8.08 72 29 7 14 161.82
2007 276 424 3303 65.1 7.79 62 22 18 24 139.16
2008 332 433 3859 76.7 8.91 91 34 8 24 173.75
2009 332 470 3521 70.6 7.49 88 27 12 30 147.41

JIMMY CLAUSEN
Stats Overview Passing
2007 138 245 1254 56.3 5.12 44 7 6 35 103.85
2008 268 440 3172 60.9 7.21 69 25 17 21 132.49
2009 289 425 3722 68.0 8.76 88 28 4 24 161.43

TIM TEBOWS
Stats Overview Passing
2006 22 33 358 66.7 10.85 55 5 1 0 201.73
2007 234 350 3286 66.9 9.39 66 32 6 13 172.47
2008 192 298 2746 64.4 9.22 70 30 4 15 172.37
2009 213 314 2895 67.8 9.22 80 21 5 29 164.17

I would go McCoy Tebow Clausen. I dont understand why you would take a proven loser over proven winners. But I dont know that much about him Just that he has questions about his real charactor.

I tried to get the stats straight so they wouldnt look so crowed but it didnt work.

Defensewins 03-22-2010 06:19 PM

With the relatively high amount of Superbowl winning QB's that that were not drafted high or were on their second or third team when they won it. Drafting a rookie QB high or expending future draft picks to get one does not seem smart. In the last 11 years [B]FIVE[/B] of the SB Winning QB's (Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Kurt Warner) all fit into this category.
That combined with large amount of bust QB's taken high in the draft year after year.
Plus throw in the high failure rate of weak teams that drafted QB's high before building their O-line (Lions, Bengals, Browns) doing it over and over again. I do not want my Redskins to included with those teams anymore.
It is already embarrassing enough seeing the Redskins are already included with them as the worst teams in the NFL this decade 2000-2009. During that time (2000-2009) we have already spent two first round picks on QB's Patrick Ramsey (2002) and Jason Campbell (2005). Not to mention the ton of WR's and skill position busts.
It is funny during the time Vinny was being shown the door there was a relative consensus that we needed to build our lines after years of ignoring them in favor of skill position players. I realize we live in an QB drive league since the rules were changed to increase passing. So that is why so many have their Panties in a bunch to get a QB right away. Resist the temptation.
We have a ton of holes to fill. We can get a proven NFL QB in future FA markets or a trade.
OK, I am off my soap box.

skinsfaninok 03-22-2010 06:22 PM

Well I don't think we will have to trade up to get Clausen, He'll be there at 4. I think we could actually move down a few spots and still get him. Bradford is number 1 on our board I presume but he's going to be The Top pick.

warpaint 03-22-2010 06:25 PM

Whats does Clausen bring to us that the other QB's dont? I just dont see it.

Bigreds77 03-22-2010 06:49 PM

If the Skins do get Clausen & he does not pan out who will be the first to want to run the front office out of town for not addressing the O Line.

geichidanman 03-22-2010 06:49 PM

I think clausen will not help the redskins. He's a bust in the making. We should see if we can get tebow in the 2nd round or lefevour later. Great upside on those two at a lower price. Both of those guys can beat you with their wheels and arms. We must get a top OLT with the 4th pick...period.

Redskin Jim 03-22-2010 06:54 PM

[quote=geichidanman;677306]I think [B]clausen will not help the redskins. [/B] [B]He's a bust in the making. [/B] We should see if we can get tebow in the 2nd round or[B] lefevour [/B]later. Great upside on those two at a [B]lower price[/B]. Both of those guys [B]can beat you with their wheels and arms[/B]. [B]We must get a top OLT [/B]with the 4th pick...period.[/quote]Thank you. Welcome to the Warpath.

Schneed10 03-22-2010 07:00 PM

I wouldn't trade up for Clausen at all, nothing about him excites me. If he falls to us in the 2nd round and we take him, I don't think I'd be thrilled but I wouldn't hate it.

But if we actually used two picks to get him via trade, I'd be pretty upset.

Dirtbag59 03-22-2010 07:04 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;677281]Hmm . . . "At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?"

When he bends over and kisses his own ass.[/quote]

I see, so flexibility is real important to you when looking for a QB.

SmootSmack 03-22-2010 07:09 PM

I'm not sure there's anyone in this draft I would trade up for (though I would consider selling my soul for CJ Spiller, just saying). I would rather trade down and accumulate more picks.

SmootSmack 03-22-2010 07:12 PM

Who are you calling idiots?

djnemo65 03-22-2010 07:24 PM

I've never gotten the hatred for McCoy. He's a four year starter with big game experience and several signature clutch performances. There are legitimate questions about his arm strength, but it's not as if the big three qb's in the league - Manning, Brees, and Brady - didn't face similar questions when drafted. Doesn't mean McCoy will be a good player, but for a second round pick I think whichever team takes him will be getting good value and a potentially very good player.

Clausen on the other hand just gives me the willies. He sends my douchebag meter to redalert.

BleedBurgundy 03-22-2010 07:27 PM

I am firmly in the Clausen's a huge bust waiting to happen group. Just a gut feeling, but something about that kid just screams douchebag to me. So to answer the question, i wouldn't trade up at all to pick him. I'll be pissed if we take him in the draft.

GTripp0012 03-22-2010 07:34 PM

[quote=Defensewins;677287]With the relatively high amount of Superbowl winning QB's that that were not drafted high or were on their second or third team when they won it. Drafting a rookie QB high or expending future draft picks to get one does not seem smart. In the last 11 years [B]FIVE[/B] of the SB Winning QB's (Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Kurt Warner) all fit into this category.
That combined with large amount of bust QB's taken high in the draft year after year.
Plus throw in the high failure rate of weak teams that drafted QB's high before building their O-line (Lions, Bengals, Browns) doing it over and over again. I do not want my Redskins to included with those teams anymore.
It is already embarrassing enough seeing the Redskins are already included with them as the worst teams in the NFL this decade 2000-2009. During that time (2000-2009) we have already spent two first round picks on QB's Patrick Ramsey (2002) and Jason Campbell (2005). Not to mention the ton of WR's and skill position busts.
It is funny during the time Vinny was being shown the door there was a relative consensus that we needed to build our lines after years of ignoring them in favor of skill position players. I realize we live in an QB drive league since the rules were changed to increase passing. So that is why so many have their Panties in a bunch to get a QB right away. Resist the temptation.
We have a ton of holes to fill. We can get a proven NFL QB in future FA markets or a trade.
OK, I am off my soap box.[/quote]Ultimately, I'm on the side of your soapbox rant. This question is more to address the question of "what is Jimmy Clausen's true value" than to cheer-lead his arrival.

SkinsfanNTX 03-22-2010 07:35 PM

No way do you trade up for Clausen.