Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Santana Moss Excited About Kyle and Mike (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35830)

SmootSmack 03-25-2010 05:13 PM

Santana Moss Excited About Kyle and Mike

[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2010/03/25/santana-moss-is-just-thrilled-about-his-new-coach/]Santana Moss Is 'Just Thrilled' About His New Coaches[/url]

GMScud 03-25-2010 05:28 PM

Re: Santana Moss Excited About Kyle and Mike

The more interviews I'm reading/hearing with players since Shanahan came in- a lot of the comments... man you can really tell just how deeply in over his head Zorn was.

I listened to interviews with Kedric Golston and Lorenzo Alexander yesterday on The John Thompson show, and they both at times prefaced statements with "no disrespect to Coach Zorn, BUT..."

I mean listen to what Santana said- it's a new thing to be held accountable for being late! Sheesh.

Anyway, it looks like we're in very good hands with Shanahan. That certainly seems to be a central theme.

SmootSmack 03-25-2010 05:38 PM

I think the bigger problem was really Cerrato, putting aside all the personnel issues, Cerrato just wasn't suited to be the main guy leading the organization. Just all the internal daily management of the staff was a mess the past two years. Seems to be more structure now and that trickles down to the players on the field...but still, it's only March

tryfuhl 03-25-2010 05:38 PM

[quote=GMScud;678572]The more interviews I'm reading/hearing with players since Shanahan came in- a lot of the comments... man you can really tell just how deeply in over his head Zorn was.

I listened to interviews with Kedric Golston and Lorenzo Alexander yesterday on The John Thompson show, and they both at times prefaced statements with "no disrespect to Coach Zorn, BUT..."

I mean listen to what Santana said- it's a new thing to be held accountable for being late! Sheesh.

Anyway, it looks like we're in very good hands with Shanahan. That certainly seems to be a central theme.[/quote]

No doubt, seems to be a lot of love for Ray Wright too. Orakpo said some good things about the program and how it was basically a free-for-all last year like Edwin Williams mentioned. Cool that he offered to work Phillip Daniels' powerlifting into his routine too.

GMScud 03-25-2010 05:41 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;678575]I think the bigger problem was really Cerrato, putting aside all the personnel issues, Cerrato just wasn't suited to be the main guy leading the organization. Just all the internal daily management of the staff was a mess the past two years. Seems to be more structure now and that trickles down to the players on the field...but still, it's only March[/quote]

I agree that Cerrato was the biggest of all problems. The consensus seems to be that sweeping administrative change was necessary as soon as Allen stepped in.

tryfuhl 03-25-2010 05:44 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;678575]I think the bigger problem was really Cerrato, putting aside all the personnel issues, Cerrato just wasn't suited to be the main guy leading the organization. Just all the internal daily management of the staff was a mess the past two years. Seems to be more structure now and that trickles down to the players on the field...but still, it's only March[/quote]

No doubt, the accountability aspect is important. It was cool to hear that you have to be on time for your training sessions and whatnot and can't just jump in whenever.

McD5 03-25-2010 06:00 PM

A professional organization. What a nice change.

53Fan 03-25-2010 06:00 PM

"When you have someone that's here but he can't say this-or-that and do this-and-that. You get what we had." Vinny was definitely a big part of the problem. Working under Vinny was no piece of cake.

mlmdub130 03-25-2010 06:54 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;678575]I think the bigger problem was really Cerrato, putting aside all the personnel issues, Cerrato just wasn't suited to be the main guy leading the organization. Just all the internal daily management of the staff was a mess the past two years. Seems to be more structure now and that trickles down to the players on the field...[B]but still, it's only March[/B][/quote]

should be your new sig

MTK 03-25-2010 07:01 PM

Hard to find anyone that's not happy with the changes so far. And really how could they not be thrilled to have a professional regime in place from the top down.

rbanerjee23 03-25-2010 07:43 PM

Wow as a Zorn supporter I am really disheartened to hear about the way he handled the team...it explains a lot in terms of the lack of discipline and players not doing the little things like Moss pointed out.

CultBrennan59 03-25-2010 07:51 PM

I feel like Zorn was being laid back to earn the respect of players..Obviously that back fired on him. And yes Cerrato was problem A Zorn was problem B

JoeRedskin 03-25-2010 07:59 PM

From the Article: "Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sit here and just say the last group that was here was just ..... I enjoyed Coach Zorn. I enjoyed his staff. I feel like we learned a lot from them. [B]I just feel like right now some of the things that have been done here now are coming from our coach himself.[/B]"

Zorn had his issues undoubtedly, but it is clear that he was being undercut at every turn. Cerrato was an incompetent cancer who made impossible for the organization to succeed.

What is obvious is that the players knew Zorn was [I]not[/I] the final word about [I]anything[/I].

Equally obvious is that the players know that Shanahan [I]is[/I] in charge.

NYCskinfan82 03-25-2010 08:03 PM

Good to hear stuff like this, it's March but still nice.

Longtimefan 03-25-2010 08:26 PM

It's always good when you hear good vibes coming from the park. I don't want to rush my life away, but I really look forward to to the season and to watch all the happy talk turn into stellar play on the field.

Dirtbag59 03-25-2010 08:29 PM

[quote=GMScud;678572]The more interviews I'm reading/hearing with players since Shanahan came in- a lot of the comments... man you can really tell just how deeply in over his head Zorn was.

Anyway, it looks like we're in very good hands with Shanahan. That certainly seems to be a central theme.[/quote]

Actually I don't think we're giving Shanahan enough credit. Sure Zorn was in over his head but at the same time there are only a handful of coaches on par with Shanahan. Combine that with the fact that we've had a grossly mismanaged franchise for the better part of the last 10 years (only had great coaching for 4 years paired with crappy personnel moves) and you see why the players are so impressed with everything.

Dirtbag59 03-25-2010 08:53 PM

Thought this was interesting. Mike Wilbon shortly after Shanahan was hired:
[quote]Shanahan could be exactly what the doctor ordered to heal the Redskins. It's certainly in him. But I've got to see it first. I need to see the Redskins stop grossly overpaying players. I've got to see them become a stable organization. I've got to see them stop squandering draft picks in stupid trades. I've got to see them trust the players they already have, like Ryan Clark, and stop coveting ones they don't need, like Adam Archuleta. I've got to see owner's pets, such as [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/05/AR2010010503744.html"]Clinton Portis, stop undermining real professionals[/URL], such as Jason Campbell. (Again, if I was advising Campbell, I'd tell him to sign somewhere else, anywhere else, to get away from the continuing dysfunction of Redskins Park.) [/quote]-I need to see the Redskins stop grossly overpaying players.
[B]Check[/B]

- I've got to see them become a stable organization.[B]
In Progress[/B]

-I've got to see them stop squandering draft picks in stupid trades.
[B]TBD but likely[/B]

- I've got to see them trust the players they already have, like Ryan Clark, and stop coveting ones they don't need, like Adam Archuleta.
[I]Does keeping CP count? Anyway maybe looking at guys like Alexander, Jarmon and Wilson to start opposite Orakpo counts. [/I]
[B]Check[/B]

- I've got to see owner's pets, such as [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/05/AR2010010503744.html"]Clinton Portis, stop undermining real professionals[/URL], such as Jason Campbell.
[B]Huge Check
[/B]
Excited yet Michael?

SmootSmack 03-25-2010 09:47 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;678589]should be your new sig[/quote]

I'd have to change it next week though

Pocket$ $traight 03-25-2010 09:49 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;678598]Wow as a Zorn supporter I am really disheartened to hear about the way he handled the team...it explains a lot in terms of the lack of discipline and players not doing the little things like Moss pointed out.[/quote]

A Zorn supporter? You are a rare breed!

tryfuhl 03-25-2010 09:58 PM

Zorn would be a great uncle, or neighbor, or mountain biking partner. I support him in his character. I would not hire the man to run my team though.

Dirtbag59 03-25-2010 10:03 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;678622]I'd have to change it next week though[/quote]

Please you've had that sig for as long as I can remember. It's the caption above your avatar that get's changed on a regular basis. Anyway I'll believe it when I see it.

[url=http://kdka.com/sports/chester.simmons.obit.2.1590611.html]Pioneering Sports Broadcasting Pioneer Chester R. Simmons Dies At 81 - kdka.com[/url]

backrow 03-25-2010 10:04 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;678622]I'd have to change it next week though[/quote]

How will you incorporate "It's still only March!" into your new moniker?

Will you poll the forum for a new name?

Or will you bring TAFKAS out of semi-retirement?

Hog1 03-25-2010 10:10 PM

The more I read....I don't want to even take a breath...it might Jinx it all.........

skinsfan69 03-25-2010 10:54 PM

Well at least we have professionals running the show cause that's what this franchise deserves. I think Snyder saw the fans were really starting to turn on him and he did the right thing in getting rid of Vinny. But I'm taking a wait and see approach. Shanahan is a top game day coach but he made some terrible personel moves while in Denver. On top of that he changed defensive coordinators like he changed his underwear.... and end the end those moves got him fired.

Audi 03-25-2010 11:33 PM

What about when Gibbs and Saunders were running the show? How does it compare to now?

Pocket$ $traight 03-26-2010 12:23 AM

[quote=Audi;678649]What about when Gibbs and Saunders were running the show? How does it compare to now?[/quote]

Hopefully the coach won't overrule the OC with 40 and 50 gut left every other play...

The Goat 03-26-2010 12:50 AM

There is a lot of encouragement in what Moss and others have said. I wonder if Shanny has "improved" since his time w/ Denver. I wonder if time away from the game, but like he said watching it all the time, gave him new ideas for playcalling, scheme and the rest. I wonder all this because my expectation is it takes a few years for the FO to make the roster a great one. Until then I suspect the one thing that could make us significantly better sooner is coaching. Haslett sort of worries me. Mike and Kyle excite me. On offense all we need are a couple of great tackles, some new RB blood and a great season by one of the QBs ALREADY on the roster to see huge improvement.

...oh yeah it will be great to ENJOY watching the B & G play again! While we're not gonna be champions anytime soon I anticipate better FOOTBALL.

rbanerjee23 03-26-2010 01:04 AM

^^ Exactly, right now, I would be perfectly happy with not being super frustrated when I see us shooting ourselves in the foot. Even if we are significantly improved to the point where I can see us being a tough out for any team, I will think that we have made progress.

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 01:05 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;678653]Hopefully the coach won't overrule the OC with 40 and 50 gut left every other play...[/quote]

no jumbo set no care

Pocket$ $traight 03-26-2010 01:11 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;678667]no jumbo set no care[/quote]

I will admit that I liked the jumbo set. I just didn't like it on 1st and goal from the 7...

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 01:12 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;678672]I will admit that I liked the jumbo set. I just didn't like it on 1st and goal from the 7...[/quote]

how can you go wrong when you run it on consecutive plays then get 3 points?

Pocket$ $traight 03-26-2010 01:12 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;678667]no jumbo set no care[/quote]

Any chance we use Big Al as the fullback in the jumbo set this year?! ha ha

(Like Arizona used Dockett)

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 01:16 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;678674]Any chance we use Big Al as the fullback in the jumbo set this year?! ha ha

(Like Arizona used Dockett)[/quote]
william perry style

NYCskinfan82 03-26-2010 07:03 AM

[QUOTE=The Goat;678657]There is a lot of encouragement in what Moss and others have said. I wonder if Shanny has "improved" since his time w/ Denver. I wonder if time away from the game, but like he said watching it all the time, gave him new ideas for playcalling, scheme and the rest. I wonder all this because my expectation is it takes a few years for the FO to make the roster a great one. [B]Until then I suspect the one thing that could make us significantly better sooner is coaching.[/B] [B]Haslett sort of worries me. Mike and Kyle excite me. On offense all we need are a couple of great tackles[/B], some new RB blood and a great season by [B]one of the QBs ALREADY on the roster to see huge improvement. [/B]

...oh yeah it will be great to ENJOY watching the B & G play again! While [B]we're not gonna be champions anytime soon I anticipate better FOOTBALL.[/[/B]QUOTE]

Agree with the everything you said but just thought certain things needed to be [B]BOLDED[/B] We need LB help to, can't wait for the draft.

HTTR.

joethiesmanfan 03-26-2010 07:20 AM

I told yall, I told yall. It was all Zorn. How can our roster look so bad. We had dead weight, but come on. The entire roster being dead weight? That was mostly coaching, I would say 99.9%. I told ya so.

CRedskinsRule 03-26-2010 07:39 AM

[quote=joethiesmanfan;678692]I told yall, I told yall. It was all Zorn. How can our roster look so bad. We had dead weight, but come on. The entire roster being dead weight? That was mostly coaching, I would say 99.9%. I told ya so.[/quote]

When you cut 10 players at the start of FA, that is more than just a little dead weight. Not really sure of your exact point, or who you told, because almost everyone had come to the conclusion that Zorn was overmatched, and that the FO-VC particularly - had not put the pieces in place for this team to be successful. Hard to agree though, when you say it was ALL Zorn, the failure was thorough and deeply rooted throughout the organization, FO/HC/players all share the fault for what was an unacceptable season/decade for Skins fans everywhere.

Now on to the future:
Really an encouraging article about the new atmosphere. But players comments are always encouraging at this time of year, so let's remember to take a deep breath and allow that we still have a long road ahead. I am looking forward to seeing what this offensive staff can put together, and seeing IF our receivers can step up to the challenge regardless of who is behind center.

joethiesmanfan 03-26-2010 07:52 AM

Since i was 100% right. You can pull out the quotes if you want to. I would like ot empasize reevaluation. Shanny and son can't go by nothing Zorn has to say. Zorn is not a great guy. He is gutless and shameless, greedy, lying ,Vinny puppet, that should have fell on his sword and let JC call freaking audibles.

CRedskinsRule 03-26-2010 07:58 AM

[quote=joethiesmanfan;678696]Since i was 100% right. You can pull out the quotes if you want to. I would like ot empasize reevaluation. Shanny and son can't go by nothing Zorn has to say. Zorn is not a great guy. He is gutless and shameless, greedy, lying ,Vinny puppet, that should have fell on his sword and let JC call freaking audibles.[/quote]

Moving forward, I think Shanahan is smart enough to realize Zorn's ability as a qb coach, and get insight on JC, but the rest of your quote seems about 100% wrong. I don't see how you could characterize Zorn as any of those things. He was the HC of the Skins and did it to the best of his ability. Sadly, his ability simply wasn't up to the task. I don't think any HC except the one Atlanta coach a few years ago, is gonna just take a hike in the middle of the season. And in terms of audibles, again that was Zorn being stubborn, and not very game aware, I don't see how that makes him greedy, a liar, gutless or shameless. I think you could argue his actions proved just the opposite.

SmootSmack 03-26-2010 08:04 AM

Well, just remember where we were less than two years ago

"I'm having the most fun I've ever had," said Cooley to Campbell on the sidelines the other day - even though he had only 1 catch in the Cowboys game thus far. At halftime, Zorn told the team, "We still have a lot more to show and I got a lot more plays to call."

As Portis says, "People are excited... and he's (Zorn) giving us opportunities to make plays."

"I just love the way he's calling the plays" Campbell said as he described how Zorn was using lots of different players early in the game.

[url=http://www.espn980.com/enzosblog/]ESPN 980 - Home of the Redskins[/url]

joethiesmanfan 03-26-2010 08:30 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;678697]Moving forward, I think Shanahan is smart enough to realize Zorn's ability as a qb coach, and get insight on JC, but the rest of your quote seems about 100% wrong. I don't see how you could characterize Zorn as any of those things. He was the HC of the Skins and did it to the best of his ability. Sadly, his ability simply wasn't up to the task. I don't think any HC except the one Atlanta coach a few years ago, is gonna just take a hike in the middle of the season. And in terms of audibles, again that was Zorn being stubborn, and not very game aware, I don't see how that makes him greedy, a liar, gutless or shameless. I think you could argue his actions proved just the opposite.[/quote]

You are ruffling my feathers! Zorn lied, he said he could win with JC and then he commenced to marginalizing JC. Zorn coached using the connect the dot method. Portis is right he figured himself a "genius". The west coast offense is nothing new. Zorn stayed for the money even though it was obvious he had his authority taken away. I blame Zorn as much as Vinny, where are your principles? Zorn's character = Wimpy from Popeye. Shameless, standing on the sideline doing the freaking robot out of all dances. Pretending to be a head coach.