Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Smart Drugs (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35849)

mlmpetert 03-26-2010 07:50 PM

Smart Drugs

So i was watching a Alzheimer's commercial yesterday and i started thinking i bet if i take some Aricept i will be a lot smarter. So i searched it and found some stuff making it sound like it does make your normal guy smarter.

I remember reading about corporate ladder drugs a while back. People in top notch white collar jobs taking drugs that help your cognitive abilities so you can further advance. I remember kids in school always trying to score some adderall or ritalin before a big test or finals. Im thinking that behavior has to carry over into the real world too.

So I got a pretty bad case of add, and used to take adderall and dexedrine when i was younger, but i hate the way stimulants make you feel. I would always end up selling or giving them away just because i couldnt stand taking them. I dont even really like caffeine unless its on the weekend or something.

When i completely refused to take stimulants they gave me strattera. It isnt instantaneous like a stimulant but if after a couple months it really helped me become focused. I dont think it made me any smarter but i could definitely get more accomplished while i was on it, and i wasnt all over the place like i normally would be. I havent taken it in a while though, but ive been thinking about "juicing" my mind back up at some point. I definitely dont accomplish things like i used to at work.

In a hour or so of internet searching the big mainly non-stimulant ones seem to be Straterra, Aricept, and Provigil. Provigil is FDA approved for narcolepsy, but it it suspected that 90% of prescriptions out there are off label uses. A lot of people are doing things to get that extra edge or to keep up with the younger guys once they get older. I bet there are doctors out there that specialize in this type of thing.

So if you could make yourself smarter or allow yourself to accomplish more just by taking some pills that dont other wise affect the way you feel, would you?

Schneed10 03-26-2010 08:21 PM

Re: Smart Drugs

Nope.

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 08:37 PM

I've always liked the 'racetam family of nootropics as well as ALCAR (acetyl-n-carnitine) and choline

Mike who used to run 1fast400/bulknutrition before he sold it sells a lot of stuff in powder form so that it's cheaper

[url]http://www.smartpowders.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=135[/url]

mlmpetert 03-26-2010 08:46 PM

^ what do you or have you taken in the racetam family? Are most available without prescription?

mlmpetert 03-26-2010 08:51 PM

[quote=Schneed10;678948]Nope.[/quote]

If you were in a competitive environment would that affect your decision at all? What if you were older and being challenged by younger, smarter, more efficient, and cheaper coworkers? Would you be cool to reap the benefits of someone else doing smart drugs or do you prefer everyone to be all natural?

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 08:51 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;678956]^ what do you or have you taken in the racetam family? Are most available without prescription?[/quote]

piracetam and aniracetam, haven't tried oxiracetam or pramiracetam but I'd like to give the pram a try

no prescription needed

Schneed10 03-26-2010 09:28 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;678957]If you were in a competitive environment would that affect your decision at all? What if you were older and being challenged by younger, smarter, more efficient, and cheaper coworkers? Would you be cool to reap the benefits of someone else doing smart drugs or do you prefer everyone to be all natural?[/quote]

It'd be very hard for someone to take a drug and end up smarter than me. Just sayin.

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 11:24 PM

[quote=Schneed10;678976]It'd be very hard for someone to take a drug and end up smarter than me. Just sayin.[/quote]

now if only they made a humble pill lol

mlmpetert 04-24-2010 10:13 PM

60 Minutes is doing a piece on "smart drugs" tomorrow so i thought id try to bring this thread back to life. Unfortunately it sounds like theyre just gonna talk about adhd stimulants and how college kids like to take them.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/22/60minutes/main6422159.shtml]Popping Pills A Popular Way To Boost Brain Power - 60 Minutes - CBS News[/url]

I started taking Vinpocentine which is supposed to be good for your memory. It also happens to be used by bodybuilders because it dilates blood vessels due to the relaxation of your blood vessels walls. This increases blood flow and i guess oxygen delivery to muscles. So im doing p90x and said well this cant hurt. It also happens to reduce blood pressure slightly. So i have a mild case of hypertension ive been fighting and see that as another plus. All that said i dont know if ive noticed any difference in anything in about the 2 weeks ive been taking it, but considering all the potential things it does i think ill continue to take it for a while. Maybe ill up the dose.

I have had to go a lot of doctors over the last couple months and i asked one of them to prescribe me Aricept. They looked at me like i was crazy and ended up giving me ritalin. Its hard to fake you have alzhimers as a mid 20 year old. Im not sure if i said this in my first post but i HATE stimulants.

drew54 04-24-2010 11:36 PM

wtf people

tryfuhl 04-25-2010 01:01 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;694489]60 Minutes is doing a piece on "smart drugs" tomorrow so i thought id try to bring this thread back to life. Unfortunately it sounds like theyre just gonna talk about adhd stimulants and how college kids like to take them.

[URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/22/60minutes/main6422159.shtml"]Popping Pills A Popular Way To Boost Brain Power - 60 Minutes - CBS News[/URL]

I started taking Vinpocentine which is supposed to be good for your memory. It also happens to be used by bodybuilders because it dilates blood vessels due to the relaxation of your blood vessels walls. This increases blood flow and i guess oxygen delivery to muscles. So im doing p90x and said well this cant hurt. It also happens to reduce blood pressure slightly. So i have a mild case of hypertension ive been fighting and see that as another plus. All that said i dont know if ive noticed any difference in anything in about the 2 weeks ive been taking it, but considering all the potential things it does i think ill continue to take it for a while. Maybe ill up the dose.

I have had to go a lot of doctors over the last couple months and i asked one of them to prescribe me Aricept. They looked at me like i was crazy and ended up giving me ritalin. Its hard to fake you have alzhimers as a mid 20 year old. Im not sure if i said this in my first post but i HATE stimulants.[/quote]

I took vinpocetine for a few weeks, can't say that I really noticed anything, though not everything you'll feel physically/mentally.

MTK 04-26-2010 08:11 AM

smart drugs... the ultimate oxymoron?

tryfuhl 04-26-2010 08:16 AM

not when you use the technical definition of what a drug is.. but as far as using a connotative definition, sure

saden1 04-26-2010 10:20 AM

You sure you didn't watch the 60 Minutes episode from yesterday? They had [URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6430949n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel"]a segment[/URL] on this very subject.

tryfuhl 04-26-2010 11:42 PM

[quote=saden1;694944]You sure you didn't watch the 60 Minutes episode from yesterday? They had [URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6430949n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel"]a segment[/URL] on this very subject.[/quote]
psst.. post 9, but this thread was started long before then

saden1 04-27-2010 09:30 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;695347]psst.. post 9, but this thread was started long before then[/quote]

LOL...my bad.

Monkeydad 04-27-2010 10:40 AM

Adderall was some nasty stuff...that's why it was banned.

Hope you have no long-term heart/liver effects...or a deadly stroke like some have from it.

saden1 04-27-2010 11:05 AM

^^^
Who is you?

Trample the Elderly 04-27-2010 11:40 AM

No thank you. Drugs ruin people's lives, legal and illegal. I'm happy with the way I am.