Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like A Man (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35850)

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 09:17 PM

The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like A Man

[quote]1. Thou Shalt Learn to Enjoy Whisk(e)y

2. There is No Such Thing as a “Chocolate Martini”

3. Thou Shalt Not Drink a Frozen Drink

4. Thou Shalt Not Consume Drinks With Idiotic Gimmicky Names Meant to Cover Up How Girly They Are

5. Thou Shalt Learn to Appreciate All Forms of Beer

6. No Worthwhile Woman Will Ever Be Impressed With How Much You Can Drink

7. It’s More Than Okay to Drink Wine

8. It’s Worth it to Learn the Rules and Traditions of the Drinking World Before You Go Out Into the Wild (and Make an Ass Out of Yourself)

9. The Way You Treat Bartenders and Waitstaff Says More About You Than You Know

10. Any Free Drink is a Good Drink
[/quote]
Each point expounded after the jump

[url=http://www.getfrank.co.nz/the-10-commandments-for-drinking-like-a-man/]The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like a Man[/url]

Dirtbag59 03-26-2010 09:30 PM

Re: The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like A Man

What if someone were to offer a Frozen Chocolate Martini for free?

Schneed10 03-26-2010 09:33 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;678977]What if someone were to offer a Frozen Chocolate Martini for free?[/quote]

What if someone were to offer you a leopard print speedo for free?

ArtMonkDrillz 03-26-2010 09:52 PM

I like these rules, but honestly when I'm at the beach or a Mexican restaurant I tend to drink frozen margaritas like it's my job.

BleedBurgundy 03-26-2010 09:57 PM

[quote=Schneed10;678979]What if someone were to offer you a leopard print speedo for free?[/quote]

Strap that bitch on.

tryfuhl 03-26-2010 11:23 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;678977]What if someone were to offer a Frozen Chocolate Martini for free?[/quote]

gotta read the explanation behind number 10 bro

saden1 03-27-2010 03:11 AM

My boy the other night completed drinking all 160 beers at The Tap House...he gets $200, 2 free t-shirts, a plaque and his name on the bar. He's the second guy to accomplish that feat and fastest (8 months vs 2 years for the other guy). Give it up for Adam.

As for the list, I don't like it...where is "thou shall not spill your beer?" Also, real men dont drink wine.

724Skinsfan 03-27-2010 07:52 AM

Where the "It's never cool to tap the top of another man's beer bottle with your own because you think it's funny to watch it foam up"?

I got to take a big FAIL on #1. Jim Beam betrayed me back in '97. I'm with saden on drinking wine. If you tack on "if your teeth are on fire" to the end then it's okay.

SmootSmack 03-27-2010 10:23 AM

Real men drink whatever they damn well please...no wine, really? I mean who doesn't like a nice glass of wine for dinner?

saden1 03-27-2010 10:37 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;679047]Real men drink whatever they damn well please...no wine, really? I mean who doesn't like a nice glass of wine for dinner?[/quote]

I'm sorry, you don't add bit about wine drinking to a list about beer...unless you're talking about Bloodwine. I mean you bash fruity drinks and you give wine a pass?

You can drink wine, the shame of it must be hidden however.

GMScud 03-27-2010 11:07 AM

[quote=saden1;679032]My boy the other night completed drinking all 160 beers at The Tap House...he gets $200, 2 free t-shirts, a plaque and his name on the bar. He's the second guy to accomplish that feat and fastest (8 months vs 2 years for the other guy). Give it up for Adam.

As for the list, I don't like it...where is "thou shall not spill your beer?" Also, real men dont drink wine.[/quote]

Real men don't drink wine? Oh so false.

Props to your friend on 160 beers. Well done.

celts32 03-27-2010 11:10 AM

I disagree strongly with #3...I am not saying I go out to dinner or to a bar and order a frozen drink but when you are at the beach or by the pool on vacation there is nothing at all wrong with a nice frozen drink. Frozen Margharita especially.

WaldSkins 03-27-2010 11:16 AM

[quote=celts32;679056]I disagree strongly with #3...I am not saying I go out to dinner or to a bar and order a frozen drink but when you are at the beach or by the pool on vacation there is nothing at all wrong with a nice frozen drink. Frozen Margharita especially.[/quote]

I agree, who doesn't like a frozen drink at the beach.

MTK 03-27-2010 11:18 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;679047]Real men drink whatever they damn well please...no wine, really? I mean who doesn't like a nice glass of wine for dinner?[/quote]

See #7 in regard to wine...

It's more than okay

Schneed10 03-27-2010 11:23 AM

Wine is queer. Men drink beer.

MTK 03-27-2010 11:50 AM

Wine has it's place. I used to be a big hater but totally got into wine this winter.

firstdown 03-27-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=Schneed10;678979]What if someone were to offer you a leopard print speedo for free?[/quote]
Whats wrong with a leopard print speedo?

firstdown 03-27-2010 11:59 AM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;678987]I like these rules, but honestly when I'm at the beach or a Mexican restaurant I tend to drink frozen margaritas like it's my job.[/quote]

I have a battery powered (the kind for screw guns) blender and girls love to have frozen drinks made right on the beach. I'll have to say it would have been a great birthday gift when I was single and was an OK wedding gift.

TheMalcolmConnection 03-27-2010 12:37 PM

[quote=Mattyk;679066]Wine has it's place. I used to be a big hater but totally got into wine this winter.[/quote]

I'll drink it only because the wife thinks it's "fancy". I drink it because it gets me tore up. I have yet to be able to find one that I'm like, "Wow! Amazing taste." I either like it or I don't.

And AMD, I'm the same. When I'm on vacation in a tropical location, it's Mai Tais all day long (with a 151 float).

firstdown 03-27-2010 01:07 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;679073]I'll drink it only because the wife thinks it's "fancy". I drink it because it gets me tore up. I have yet to be able to find one that I'm like, "Wow! Amazing taste." I either like it or I don't.

And AMD, I'm the same. When I'm on vacation in a tropical location, it's Mai Tais all day long (with a 151 float).[/quote]

They have to have the umbrella and fruit hanging off the glass.LOL

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 01:01 AM

[quote=saden1;679032]My boy the other night completed drinking all 160 beers at The Tap House...he gets $200, 2 free t-shirts, a plaque and his name on the bar. He's the second guy to accomplish that feat and fastest (8 months vs 2 years for the other guy). Give it up for Adam.

As for the list, I don't like it...where is "thou shall not spill your beer?" Also, real men dont drink wine.[/quote]

a real man can at the least feign sophistication

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 01:03 AM

[quote=Schneed10;679061]Wine is queer. Men drink beer.[/quote]
wine is typically higher alch and less enhanced

don't get me wrong.. I love a good beer, but a good wine is amazing

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 01:04 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;679073]I'll drink it only because the wife thinks it's "fancy". I drink it because it gets me tore up. I have yet to be able to find one that I'm like, "Wow! Amazing taste." I either like it or I don't.

And AMD, I'm the same. When I'm on vacation in a tropical location, it's Mai Tais all day long (with a 151 float).[/quote]
I definitely need a full bodied wine. Love the peppery and spicy ones like malbec.

GMScud 03-28-2010 01:27 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;679148]I definitely need a full bodied wine. Love the peppery and spicy ones like malbec.[/quote]

Malbec is really popular right now. Argentina has so many good ones currently.

If you like full bodied red with pepper/spice characteristics, try a red zinfandel sometime. I paired Plungerhead Zin tonight with some lamb loin. Effin delicious.

Also, give some grenache a look. Evodia, Tres Picos, and Yangarra all have some wines you'd probably love.

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 01:35 AM

[quote=GMScud;679158]Malbec is really popular right now. Argentina has so many good ones currently.

If you like full bodied red with pepper/spice characteristics, try a red zinfandel sometime. I paired Plungerhead Zin tonight with some lamb loin. Effin delicious.

Also, give some grenache a look. Evodia, Tres Picos, and Yangarra all have some wines you'd probably love.[/quote]

definitely.. a local wine shop recommended it to me a handful of years ago when I told them that most reds to me are too weak.. apparently a lot of chilean vineyards are trying it out too, but I'm yet to try one

I def like red zin and grenache, good to see grenache getting more of its own wines and less blending, like malbec.. though I have enjoyed a grenache-syrah blend that I sadly do not recall who produced it

I'll check out the ones that you mentioned.. I haven't had red zin in awhile but I definitely like the style, I don't branch off and try a lot of new wines like I do other beverages.. I think that the last time that I had red zin was when a girl that I was dating brought some back from her uncle's winery.. Galleron

[URL="http://www.galleronwine.com/index.html"]Galleron Signature Wines - 707.265.6552[/URL]

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 01:41 AM

oh.. what malbecs do you like if you recall off of the top of your head?

my go to is usually Dona Paula since the shop didn't carry many.. great wine for the price

724Skinsfan 03-28-2010 08:16 AM

^^ Has this site been redirected to ...um...somewhere else? Do I need to run a virus scan or something?

firstdown 03-28-2010 08:38 AM

What makes it so hard to drink 160 different beers? I would think that a person could do that in a month if they really wanted to break the record. Doing it in 8 months is only 20 beers a month and that sounds pretty easy so I'm sure there must be more to the story like each beer is a mini keg.

Schneed10 03-28-2010 08:48 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;679147]wine is typically higher alch and less enhanced

don't get me wrong.. I love a good beer, but a good wine is amazing[/quote]

Yeah but it's also made from fruit. I stand by my previous statement. Wine is queer.

MTK 03-28-2010 08:55 AM

Hops are female flower clusters... totally manly

TheMalcolmConnection 03-28-2010 10:37 AM

A hoppy beer is my favorite alcoholic drink by far. Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

saden1 03-28-2010 05:07 PM

[quote=firstdown;679190]What makes it so hard to drink 160 different beers? I would think that a person could do that in a month if they really wanted to break the record. Doing it in 8 months is only 20 beers a month and that sounds pretty easy so I'm sure there must be more to the story like each beer is a mini keg.[/quote]

Some of the beers get pushed out now and then to make room for seasonal beer which don't count. Also, some of these beers taste like ass. If you're gonna drink you probably want to pace yourself as to how many ass tasting beers you want in your mouth a night.

GMScud 03-28-2010 07:02 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;679160]oh.. what malbecs do you like if you recall off of the top of your head?

my go to is usually Dona Paula since the shop didn't carry many.. great wine for the price[/quote]

I've never had Dona Paula. There is a very good, very reasonably priced Malbec I really like called Sur. I forget what the vintage is though.

Decero Amano is a malbec-petit verdot belnd, and it's one of the best red wines of any varietal that I've ever had. Absolutely delicious. It's about $40ish a bottle.

wolfeskins 03-28-2010 07:16 PM

this thread is starting to sound pretty gay with all this wine talk.

GMScud 03-28-2010 09:58 PM

[quote=wolfeskins;679255]this thread is starting to sound pretty gay with all this wine talk.[/quote]

Commandment #7- It's more than okay to drink wine.

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 11:18 PM

[quote=Schneed10;679192]Yeah but it's also made from fruit. I stand by my previous statement. Wine is queer.[/quote]

yeah that's way less manly than hops right? oh and needing that sweet malt?

not a brandy/cognac drinker eh?

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 11:19 PM

[quote=GMScud;679262]Commandment #7- It's more than okay to drink wine.[/quote]

forgive wolfeskin for he has sinned!

djnemo65 03-29-2010 12:46 AM

As a drinking snob I concur with this list, with a few qualifications.

1. All whiskey is not equal. Real men have a whiskey palate sophisticated enough to distinguish between a single malt and Dewar's.
2. Real men must appreciate all non-mass-produced beer. Drinking Bud Light is neither sophisticated nor manly. I guess it's ok at a baseball game, but it shouldn't be in your fridge.
3. Real drinkers have figured out that most wine connoisseurs are full of shit ([url=http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2008/4/15/why-more-expensive-wine-tastes-better]Why More Expensive Wine Tastes Better - Alpha Consumer (usnews.com)[/url]). Yet we are thrilled when we meet one of the few who is not.
4. Dry gin martini is the coolest drink ever. If you don't like it you are a sucker. Also, martini does not refer to the shape of a glass, so don't serve some goofy cocktail in a martini looking glass and slap tini on the end of the name and think you are fooling anyone. A martini is what it is, like oxygen or a reuben. Gin, a little vermouth, and a garnish. That's it. HL Mencken once called the martini the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet so make sure to keep it traditional.
5. Neat cognac is great.
6. Scotch is the greatest human invention, but you should be able to roll with straight bourbon too when the situation calls for it.

tryfuhl 03-29-2010 01:02 AM

good amendments

wolfeskins 03-29-2010 08:08 AM

[quote=GMScud;679262]Commandment #7- It's more than okay to drink wine.[/quote]

if wine is ok, then nothing can be excluded because nothing says "i'm gay" more than a glass of wine. you might as well have a fridge full of zimas or wine coolers.

men drink whiskey or beer, women drink wine.:food-smil notice the two MALE smilies are toasting beer mugs, not wine glasses.:)