Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Kyle Shanahan Emerges From His Father's Shadow (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/35857-kyle-shanahan-emerges-his-fathers-shadow.html)

SmootSmack 03-27-2010 09:52 PM

Kyle Shanahan Emerges From His Father's Shadow

This is still the off-season acquisition I am most excited about

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/27/AR2010032702288.html]washingtonpost.com[/url]

CRedskinsRule 03-27-2010 10:29 PM

Re: Kyle Shanahan Emerges From His Father's Shadow

Nice read. I am excited to see how our offense executes under KS.

Mc2guy 03-27-2010 10:54 PM

Well, his name opened the door of opportunity for him. He took the opportunity and ran with it. Seems like he's a go getter and a real talented coach. Let's hope he can make lemonade out of our offensive skill position players this year.

53Fan 03-27-2010 10:54 PM

Sounds like our offensive playcalling will be in very capable hands. He sure took the fast track up the ladder in Texas and it sounds like he earned every bit of it and did an outstanding job with whatever responsibility that was given to him. I'm glad he's here.

Hog1 03-27-2010 11:00 PM

I love the smell of the off-season in the morning..........smells like....VICTORY!
Cannot wait!

Dirtbag59 03-28-2010 12:26 AM

How long will we get to keep him? If this article is any indication he might get a head coaching offer before we know it. The fact that we all but guranteed the head coaching job to Williams before not giving it to him also doesn't seem to help. Then again Vinny was probably more at fault for that.

skinsfaninok 03-28-2010 02:21 AM

All I know is this guy made matt schaub really productive when he was healthy and his offenses were very fun to watch. Obviouslly we don't have Andre Johnson but I still think one of our recievers will srtongly emerge this season. I actually have alot of high expectations for Kelly in '10

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 02:23 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;679139]How long will we get to keep him? If this article is any indication he might get a head coaching offer before we know it. The fact that we all but guranteed the head coaching job to Williams before not giving it to him also doesn't seem to help. Then again Vinny was probably more at fault for that.[/quote]
hard to say, wouldn't be surprised if things go well and they basically give him the next HC clause

LandrySlice 03-28-2010 03:59 AM

If the offense performs, he will definetly be the next Head Coach.

Dirtbag59 03-28-2010 05:05 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;679171]hard to say, wouldn't be surprised if things go well and they basically give him the next HC clause[/quote]

I hope thats what happens. In the meantime our best chance might be a combination of wanting to work under his father and owners believing Kyle to be to young to be a head coach.

backrow 03-28-2010 07:46 AM

GWilliams had the next HC Clause, and where did that get him?

Beemnseven 03-28-2010 08:06 AM

[quote=53Fan;679123][B]Sounds like our offensive playcalling will be in very capable hands.[/B] He sure took the fast track up the ladder in Texas and it sounds like he earned every bit of it and did an outstanding job with whatever responsibility that was given to him. I'm glad he's here.[/quote]

This will be another test to the debate about playcalling -- seems like most people say it's overrated.

Let's be honest: Our offense sucks. And it has sucked for years, going back to the Joe Gibbs (part II) days. Most of the players that make up that sucky offense are still here.

Mike and Kyle have their work cut out for them.

NYCskinfan82 03-28-2010 08:29 AM

Looks like our OF is in good hands.

53Fan 03-28-2010 09:36 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;679185][B]This will be another test to the debate about playcalling -- seems like most people say it's overrated.[/B]

Let's be honest: Our offense sucks. And it has sucked for years, going back to the Joe Gibbs (part II) days. Most of the players that make up that sucky offense are still here.

Mike and Kyle have their work cut out for them.[/quote]

I doubt we'll see the "swinging-gate" anytime soon. We'll probably see more fades to tall receivers too.

Longtimefan 03-28-2010 10:14 AM

This entire coaching staff will demonstrate the wide disparity in coaching ability and philosophy in comparison to the last regime. It's going to be interesting to see the difference in the performance of the same players Zorn coached with mixed results.

MTK 03-28-2010 10:18 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;679139]How long will we get to keep him? If this article is any indication he might get a head coaching offer before we know it. The fact that we all but guranteed the head coaching job to Williams before not giving it to him also doesn't seem to help. Then again Vinny was probably more at fault for that.[/quote]

The big thing that could keep him here for a while is the chance to work with his Dad.

CRedskinsRule 03-28-2010 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]

This will be another test to the debate about playcalling -- seems like most people say it's overrated.

Mike and Kyle have their work cut out for them.[/QUOTE]
I know it was only a few games but I do recall this group of guys putting 30 points on an undefeated Saints team and a couple other 21+ point games. The cumulative effects of bad play calling, FO strife, and player discontent should not be overlooked. I am hoping to see this offense pick up from the Dal/Philly games of 08 and be a force in the league. '09 was a disaster on so many levels, but we have a solid core of talent, that will only get better with a strong FO.

GMScud 03-28-2010 11:24 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;679205]I know it was only a few games but I do recall this group of guys putting 30 points on an undefeated Saints team and a couple other 21+ point games. The cumulative effects of bad play calling, FO strife, and player discontent should not be overlooked. I am hoping to see this offense pick up from the Dal/Philly games of 08 and be a force in the league. '09 was a disaster on so many levels, but we have a solid core of talent, that will only get better with a strong FO.[/quote]

I wish I shared your optimism about the offense. The Shanahans are very good coaches, but our line is flat out awful, our RB situation is lacking, and our QB and WR situation is still pretty up in the air. Sure, IF Campbell/D.Thomas/M.Kelly all break out this year we could do some damage, I'm just not sold until I see it. I do not think we'll be any kind of "force" on offense. And if we're set on switching to a 3-4 (which I'm not sure we are, at least this season), we may take a step back on D as well.

Hate to come off as a Debbie Downer, but I don't think we're going to be any better than a .500 team in year one of this regime. That said, I do think we're moving in the right direction for sure.

Pocket$ $traight 03-28-2010 11:29 AM

I really liked the Post's article on Kyle. Ideally, he is our coach one day!

SkinsfanNTX 03-28-2010 12:26 PM

He will probably become the head coach in waiting to ensure stability once his dad gives up his clipboard and goes the front office route totally.

celts32 03-28-2010 12:36 PM

Did GW ever really have the coach in waiting title or did everyone just assume he had it? He was probably Gibbs choice and there were rumors about a payoff if he wasn't named head coach but it was certainly not an out in the open arrangement the way it was with Caldwell in Indy. Either way I would hope that our Snyderatto sins will not be held against us here.

SmootSmack 03-28-2010 12:51 PM

[quote=celts32;679218]Did GW ever really have the coach in waiting title or did everyone just assume he had it? He was probably Gibbs choice and there were rumors about a payoff if he wasn't named head coach but it was certainly not an out in the open arrangement the way it was with Caldwell in Indy. Either way I would hope that our Snyderatto sins will not be held against us here.[/quote]

Assumed. As for Kyle Shanahan, let's not jump the gun here. I'm really excited about what he can bring as an offensive coordinator. But realistically he's only had one year of true experience running an offense. I think he will continue to grow here, and I'm excited about him being our OC. But let's focus on Kyle as OC, and Mike as HC before we get too carried away.

That said, I'd be surprised if KS isn't the head coach somewhere by 2012

Dirtbag59 03-28-2010 12:51 PM

[quote=celts32;679218]Did GW ever really have the coach in waiting title or did everyone just assume he had it? He was probably Gibbs choice and there were rumors about a payoff if he wasn't named head coach but it was certainly not an out in the open arrangement the way it was with Caldwell in Indy. Either way I would hope that our Snyderatto sins will not be held against us here.[/quote]

I thought the same thing, but I guess in the end it was just strongly implied that he would get the job after Gibbs left, only to have to go through Vinny's circus. I think the only good thing that happened with the Vinny/Zorn combo is it showed Snyder once and for all that Vinny can't run an NFL franchise and at the same time the firing of Zorn was timed as such that we got a well rested Mike Shanahan and his genius of a son. A lot of things have gone right lately, maybe we get the same type of luck during the draft.

CRedskinsRule 03-28-2010 01:24 PM

[quote=GMScud;679207]I wish I shared your optimism about the offense. The Shanahans are very good coaches, but our line is flat out awful, our RB situation is lacking, and our QB and WR situation is still pretty up in the air. Sure, IF Campbell/D.Thomas/M.Kelly all break out this year we could do some damage, I'm just not sold until I see it. I do not think we'll be any kind of "force" on offense. And if we're set on switching to a 3-4 (which I'm not sure we are, at least this season), we may take a step back on D as well.

Hate to come off as a Debbie Downer, but I don't think we're going to be any better than a .500 team in year one of this regime. That said, I do think we're moving in the right direction for sure.[/quote]

Well, I am not calling for Championship or SB, yet;), but I also doubt you will see our offense look like a Div II college program either like it did in our first 7 games last year.

I am still out on what will happen with our D. I don't know Haslett, and I think we could easily have anywhere from the #3 to the #18th ranked D. I do believe though that there is no way our players were as inept as they looked last year.

I think everyone played down to their lowest possible level, and this year, especially on offense, we will be shocked by the production we see from this offense. Note that this assumes a draft and plan that creates an effective, if not star studded, OLine.

Even with improvements, we won't be so fortunate as to play 5 or 6 O'fer teams in a row this year, and we may be 7-9 to 9-7 depending on several factors. But we will see an effective team put on the field each and every game. That in and of itself makes me optimistic.

Lotus 03-28-2010 02:43 PM

Maybe the sun will put more color in Kyle's face now that he is no longer always in the shadow.

Dirtbag59 03-28-2010 02:47 PM

[quote=Lotus;679228]Maybe the sun will put more color in Kyle's face now that he is no longer always in the shadow.[/quote]

Deep.

skinsfan69 03-28-2010 02:51 PM

It doesn't really matter who is calling the plays cause we simply don't have the personel to be a top offense. I'm sure KS & MS are more capable people at running an offense than Zorn. With better coaching and having some guys play better, hopefully it will = more points being scored.

Lotus 03-28-2010 03:21 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;679229]Deep.[/quote]

Or a ridiculously dumb joke. One of the two.

GusFrerotte 03-28-2010 09:52 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;679185]This will be another test to the debate about playcalling -- seems like most people say it's overrated.

Mike and Kyle have their work cut out for them.[/quote]

I agree. We had Spurrier try his thing, Gibbs came back and did some good, and had the much vaunted Saunders come in with limited success to say the least. Zorn was a disaster! Folks in the forum(me included) have tended to always overrate the collective talent on this team for a long time and I think 2010 is no exception with what I have been reading thus far about hopes for next season. Our WR corp hopefully will improve just with an opened up offense, but I am not going to hold my breath. Thomas is still a big zero, and Kelly didn't show up on the map until the '09 campaign was already a waste. Mitchell at best will be someone like Darnien McCants for us. As for JC, I think he is a good QB, but he isn't going to get us a title, while nobody that isn't a Skins fan thinks too much about him. The fact of the matter is we draft lousy and gave up too many upper round picks as well in recent history. I am confident that Allen will right the ship, but it is going to take 2 seasons at the bare minimum.

GusFrerotte 03-28-2010 09:57 PM

[quote=GMScud;679207]I wish I shared your optimism about the offense. The Shanahans are very good coaches, but our line is flat out awful, our RB situation is lacking, and our QB and WR situation is still pretty up in the air. Sure, IF Campbell/D.Thomas/M.Kelly all break out this year we could do some damage, I'm just not sold until I see it. I do not think we'll be any kind of "force" on offense. And if we're set on switching to a 3-4 (which I'm not sure we are, at least this season), we may take a step back on D as well.

Hate to come off as a Debbie Downer, but I don't think we're going to be any better than a .500 team in year one of this regime. That said, I do think we're moving in the right direction for sure.[/quote]

Exactly, too many folks here are saying how frigging great our WR corp is going to be, which is contrast to the reality of the play we have seen thus far. Last year the preview mags all pegged Thomas as having a breakout year only to see him have a mediocre year for us. Kelly had flashes of greatness towards the end, but the season was already lost. Mitchell did great in the preseason, but what does that count for? Can they break out this season? Of course they can, and I hope they do, but so far the only one that has showed potential is really Kelly.

tryfuhl 03-28-2010 11:15 PM

[quote=backrow;679184]GWilliams had the next HC Clause, and where did that get him?[/quote]

that report was false.. at least in terms of the compensation part

skinsfan69 03-29-2010 10:30 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;679261]Exactly, too many folks here are saying how frigging great our WR corp is going to be, which is contrast to the reality of the play we have seen thus far. Last year the preview mags all pegged Thomas as having a breakout year only to see him have a mediocre year for us. Kelly had flashes of greatness towards the end, but the season was already lost. Mitchell did great in the preseason, but what does that count for? Can they break out this season? Of course they can, and I hope they do, [B]but so far the only one that has showed potential is really Kelly.[/quote][/B]

[B]Kelly has done nothing in two years. IMO he might not even make the team. I remember reading an artice a while back and it quoted an NFC East scout mentioning that Kelly simply can't seperate from DB's. We'll see if the new staff can put him in positions to catch more balls. [/B]

MTK 03-29-2010 10:33 AM

Thomas has clearly shown more than Kelly at this point, not sure how that's even debateable honestly.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-29-2010 10:52 AM

given the kindergarden offense that zorn ran and his hesitance to let our younger guys actually get on the field, i don't think its fair to judge any of the 2008 2nd rounders on what they've done so far. i'd go so far as to say that kelly, thomas, and davis performed as they did in 2009 in spite of zorn. we all thought Davis was a bust until Cooley got hurt and we actually got to see what he could do when given a chance. i'm honestly very optimistic about our receiving corps under a REAL head coach. at the very least, kelly will actually be put in games in our red zone offense.

last year, it infuriated me to no end to see moss and ARE as the only two WRs in the red zone most of the time. i even remember several occasions where cooley wasnt on the field. no excuse for any of that. zorn was in way over his head and our entire offense hurt because of it.

dblanch66 03-29-2010 10:59 AM

[quote=backrow;679184]GWilliams had the next HC Clause, and where did that get him?[/quote]

A championship in New Orleans.

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 11:23 AM

[quote=Mattyk;679348]Thomas has clearly shown more than Kelly at this point, not sure how that's even debateable honestly.[/quote]Based on 2009, Kelly has pretty much a clean sweep on the relative statistics. Any advantage for Thomas goes back to a disappointing 2008 where Kelly was just unable to get on the field, for whatever reason.

MTK 03-29-2010 11:26 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;679371]Based on 2009, Kelly has pretty much a clean sweep on the relative statistics. Any advantage for Thomas goes back to a disappointing 2008 where Kelly was just unable to get on the field, for whatever reason.[/quote]

The receiving stats are about even.

Thomas 25-325-3
Kelly 25-347-0

Thomas has the advantage to me simply because he also contributes on returns.

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 11:31 AM

[quote=Mattyk;679372]The receiving stats are about even.

Thomas 25-325-3
Kelly 25-347-0

Thomas has the advantage to me simply because he also contributes on returns.[/quote]Which is fair, I think.

I do think a large number of people are overestimating how much Devin is just going to get handed to him in this offense, and I think we've seen that, when his opportunities are limited, Devin tends to not be willing to execute the small things in order to make himself successful.

To me, Kelly's greatest failing is that he hasn't separated himself from Thomas in this regard. There really is no reason he shouldn't have gone for 600 yards last year. I don't necessarily think it's too late to make the adjustments, but I do think Shanahan will cut bait after the 2010 season if we get more of the same.

SmootSmack 03-29-2010 12:58 PM

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kyle-shanahan/other-voices-weigh-in-on-kyle.html#more]Redskins Insider - Other voices weigh in on Kyle Shanahan[/url]

Dirtbag59 03-29-2010 01:04 PM

Eh it's a moot point. Mitchell will pass both of them with ease. The question will then become can he step up as a quality receiver. Also do we have a spot open in our receiving corps, at least on paper? By my count I see with Moss, Thomas, Kelly,and Mitchell leaving room for one more guy.