Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Skins sign Buchanon 1yr deal (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35865)

NoviSkins 03-29-2010 01:51 PM

Skins sign Buchanon 1yr deal

[URL="http://www.twitlonger.com/show/lsobi"]Twitlonger: RT @Rich_Campbell: RT @Adam_Schefter: CB Phil Buchanon signed a one-year deal with the Redskins for[/URL]

Pretty cheap, maybe he can play free safety and let Landry go back to Strong Safety where he belongs.

Dirtbag59 03-29-2010 01:52 PM

re: Skins sign Buchanon 1yr deal

Lol, BuShannon as my friend used to say. Either way I'll be the first to say that this move makes us a championship contender.

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 01:55 PM

I like it. He's the best player of all of our pickups so far, and gives us some flexibility in our secondary.

I imagine he will come off the bench for us, but I'd be comfortable with him starting. I gave him the same player 'grade' (82) that I gave Hall in free agency last year, and they are similar players. Buchanon is significantly older though.

MTK 03-29-2010 01:56 PM

Good move for depth, I'd take him over Smoot that's for sure

BigHairedAristocrat 03-29-2010 01:57 PM

he's only 30 though, wich is still pretty young. i don't know how i'd feel about moving him to free safety, though. i certainly feel like we have very good depth at CB now and i wouldnt be surprised if carlos rogers is part of some sort of draft day trade.

Chico23231 03-29-2010 01:57 PM

Good move, was kinda hoping to see more of Barnes in the nickle. But this is a nice upgrade over Smoot fo sho.

johno 03-29-2010 01:57 PM

as others have said, does anyone know if he can play FS? i would assume we brought him on for his return skills and to add some depth at CB if nothing else.

SmootSmack 03-29-2010 02:03 PM

Solid pickup. Tryon and Barnes will have to show their worth this summer (I'm not even counting Byron Westbrook because that guy seems to make the team regardless every year).

Tryon and Barnes (along with guys like Rinehart, Mitchell) have to realize that they are projects from the last regime and Shanahan and Allen have no loyalty to them

BigHairedAristocrat 03-29-2010 02:04 PM

if anyone moves to free safety, i'd think it should be rogers, but thats just my opinion.

the thing I don't like about this move (assuming Rogers stays), is that it pushes Tryon and Barnes further down on the depth chart. Tryon had essentially passed Smoot on the depth chart by the end of last year and i thought he was doing a pretty good job. On the plus side, Shanahan beleives in competition and signing buchanan opens up some nice battles. everyone will have to work harder to secure their spot.

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 02:04 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;679460]Solid pickup. Tryon and Barnes will have to show their worth this summer (I'm not even counting Byron Westbrook because that guy seems to make the team regardless every year).[/quote]He could lose his roster spot this year to Brian Westbrook. You never know.

Dirtbag59 03-29-2010 02:08 PM

[quote=Mattyk;679450]Good move for depth, I'd take him over Smoot that's for sure[/quote]

So would Joesph of the infamous Chris Cooley Blog Fanmail Letter:
[quote]Smoot is straight up the worst CB in the league. The only thing he could cover is a d*** with them big a** l**s[/quote]
By the way what the heck is the L word at the end that was censored? Lass?

[url=http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2009/09/fan-mail.html#comments]The Official Blog of Chris Cooley: "Fan" Mail[/url].

Pocket$ $traight 03-29-2010 02:13 PM

I like it too. He has started in the league. My understanding is that he is a good locker room presence.

If he is an improvement over Smoot than we have made our team better.

Also, he can return punts and he is low/no risk.

I view him as a "glue" guy. You have to have these guys on your roster if you are going to be a good team.

Win win all around.

Longtimefan 03-29-2010 02:14 PM

I like the signing, a solid veteran with toughness and the ability to tackle. The kind of player we can definitely use in the secondary....and yes! an improvement over Smoot.

saden1 03-29-2010 02:15 PM

I'm fine with it. Not sure why Smoot is getting all sorts of hate. He played better than that bum named Carlos.

over the mountain 03-29-2010 02:20 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;679466]So would Joesph of the infamous Chris Cooley Blog Fanmail Letter:

By the way what the heck is the L word at the end that was censored? Lass?

[URL="http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2009/09/fan-mail.html#comments"]The Official Blog of Chris Cooley: "Fan" Mail[/URL].[/quote]

lips as in DSL.

NYCskinfan82 03-29-2010 02:21 PM

[quote=dirtbag359;679466]so would joesph of the infamous chris cooley blog fanmail letter:

[b]by the way what the heck is the l word at the end that was censored? Lass?[/b]
[url=http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2009/09/fan-mail.html#comments]the official blog of chris cooley: "fan" mail[/url].[/quote]

lips

SmootSmack 03-29-2010 02:25 PM

[YT]mrm35OVfM8I[/YT]

Schneed10 03-29-2010 02:26 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;679481][YT]mrm35OVfM8I[/YT][/quote]

So he still can run. It takes speed to catch up to AP.

johno 03-29-2010 02:30 PM

he can be our pr/kr, is a year younger, just as talented, and half the price of smoot. its nice to see some adults running this organization again.

SFREDSKIN 03-29-2010 02:39 PM

[quote=johno;679487]he can be our pr/kr, is a year younger, just as talented, and half the price of smoot. its nice to see some adults running this organization again.[/quote]

My guess is he was signed primarily to be our KR/PR instead of his coverage skills.

geichidanman 03-29-2010 02:45 PM

I'll bet they try to trade Rogers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick......

BigHairedAristocrat 03-29-2010 02:47 PM

i doubt buchanan would have signed just to be a kr/pr... unless no one else wanted him in any capacity.

diehardskin2982 03-29-2010 02:53 PM

He is the 4th redskin from the 2001 Miami Hurricane team. Moss, Portis, Taylor (RIP), and now Buchananan. where is SkinsCanesfan when you need him? I met him a few years ago and have to say he is a real good guy and will provide a positive influence on the lockeroom.

Pocket$ $traight 03-29-2010 02:56 PM

[quote=saden1;679471]I'm fine with it. Not sure why Smoot is getting all sorts of hate. He played better than that bum named Carlos.[/quote]

I love Smoot but when has he outplayed Carlos?

Chico23231 03-29-2010 03:01 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;679500]I love Smoot but when has he outplayed Carlos?[/quote]

LOL, not close

skinsfan69 03-29-2010 03:10 PM

Didn't Allen draft this guy when he was at Oakland? He sure missed on this pick cause PB really never panned out as a corner. Is this really an upgrade over Smoot? Probably not. I'd like to see Tryon and Barnes push the starters.

CRedskinsRule 03-29-2010 03:11 PM

This guy gives us ---->

Competition!

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 03:14 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;679508]Didn't Allen draft this guy when he was at Oakland? He sure missed on this pick cause PB really never panned out as a corner. Is this really an upgrade over Smoot? Probably not. I'd like to see Tryon and Barnes push the starters.[/quote]How would he not be an upgrade over Smoot? He might have missed on the pick (or more accurately, Buchanon didn't develop until his third team -- after being signed by Allen in Tampa), but he's got value and Smoot does not.

Agreed that Barnes and Tryon need to play like future starters in 2010, regardless of Buchanon's role.

REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE 03-29-2010 03:17 PM

[quote=saden1;679471]I'm fine with it. Not sure why Smoot is getting all sorts of hate. He played better than that bum named Carlos.[/quote]

Ummmm, actually he didnt play better then Carlos. Carlos is a beast, he just cant catch an INT to save his like.

Ruhskins 03-29-2010 03:21 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;679508]Didn't Allen draft this guy when he was at Oakland? He sure missed on this pick cause PB really never panned out as a corner. Is this really an upgrade over Smoot? Probably not. I'd like to see Tryon and Barnes push the starters.[/quote]

He had 11 INTs and 4 TDs in the 3 years he was in Oakland.

Paintrain 03-29-2010 03:51 PM

[quote=REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE;679515]Ummmm, actually he didnt play better then Carlos. Carlos is a beast, he just cant catch an INT to save his like.[/quote]

A beast who was benched twice in the past 2 seasons. Yeah, he's a beast.

On PB, I like the pickup.. At worst, he's a depth guy who can make some plays when given the opportunity. Also, he'll be in the mix at PR and represents an upgrade from ARE and anyone else we have on the roster.

CRedskinsRule 03-29-2010 04:07 PM

Re: Skins sign Buchanon 1yr deal

[quote=Paintrain;679536]A beast who was benched twice in the past 2 seasons. Yeah, he's a beast.

On PB, I like the pickup.. At worst, he's a depth guy who can make some plays when given the opportunity. Also, he'll be in the mix at PR and represents an upgrade from ARE and anyone else we have on the roster.[/quote]

I think it's been fairly well established that the benching was less a result of ability and more a coaching decision. Chances are his stone hands had something to do with it, but GB was not keeping him in, unless he had no other choice.

tryfuhl 03-29-2010 04:42 PM

great depth/competition signing

diehard 03-29-2010 05:49 PM

A stopgap move. I like the idea of perhaps trying him out at FS. The team has many capable SS. Is there any interest trading for Doughty, Horton, or Landry? I don't think drafting a FS is an option.

diehard 03-29-2010 06:41 PM

I still think Tryon and Barnes can contribute. Westbrook's value hinged on special teams only.

tryfuhl 03-29-2010 06:59 PM

[quote=Paintrain;679536]A beast who was benched twice in the past 2 seasons. Yeah, he's a beast.

On PB, I like the pickup.. At worst, he's a depth guy who can make some plays when given the opportunity. Also, he'll be in the mix at PR and represents an upgrade from ARE and anyone else we have on the roster.[/quote]

funny how he was the only guy getting benched for blowing coverage

jamf 03-29-2010 07:21 PM

Gives us more speed and a guy who can cover in the slot.
Good move for us.

Dirtbag59 03-29-2010 07:23 PM

I'll be the first to say it, Camp Fodder.

Paintrain 03-29-2010 07:34 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;679545]I think it's been fairly well established that the benching was less a result of ability and more a coaching decision. Chances are his stone hands had something to do with it, but GB was not keeping him in, unless he had no other choice.[/quote]

Lack of playmaking+getting beat like a 3rd grader on playground double moves+piss poor attitude=him getting benched. To say it was all Blache is ridiculous.

GTripp0012 03-29-2010 07:44 PM

[quote=Paintrain;679659]Lack of playmaking+getting beat like a 3rd grader on playground double moves+piss poor attitude=him getting benched. To say it was all Blache is ridiculous.[/quote]Ridiculously accurate. To say it was all Blache, that is.