Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   25 Dead, 4 Missing in West Virginia Mine Blast (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35982)

SmootSmack 04-06-2010 07:23 AM

25 Dead, 4 Missing in West Virginia Mine Blast

Tragic

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/06/west.virginia.mine.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1]25 killed in West Virginia mine blast - CNN.com[/url]

mredskins 04-06-2010 08:11 AM

Re: 25 Dead, 4 Missing in West Virginia Mine Blast

wow! that is a crazy job some of the miners make six figures believe it or not. I don't have the balls to do that every day.

Morgan Spurlock had a 30 day special as living as a miner was pretty interesting. With all the fisherman and ax man reality shows I am surprised no one has done one about coal miners.

RIP to all that were lost.

joethiesmanfan 04-06-2010 09:06 AM

R.i.p

firstdown 04-06-2010 09:59 AM

This from the article:
"One lady lost a son and two grandsons," Manchin told CNN. "They were all found together, and I had to tell her."

Wow that sucks.

tryfuhl 04-06-2010 04:05 PM

Damn.. they don't want to give up the industry out there because they don't know anything else, but it will be a good day when the coal mining industry isn't major

Trample the Elderly 04-06-2010 04:22 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;684414]Damn.. they don't want to give up the industry out there because they don't know anything else, but it will be a good day when the coal mining industry isn't major[/quote]

There is nothing else.

tryfuhl 04-06-2010 04:27 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;684426]There is nothing else.[/quote]
People learned how to migrate tens of thousands of years ago.

Trample the Elderly 04-06-2010 04:31 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;684429]People learned how to migrate tens of thousands of years ago.[/quote]

Don't say that. I don't want any mountain-folk here. That's the last thing I need. Hee Haw on my front lawn. It's bad enough already.

tryfuhl 04-06-2010 04:43 PM

Thankfully they've usually headed west, chasing the wildlife and whatnot. I hear Wyoming is nice this time of year.

Trample the Elderly 04-06-2010 06:25 PM

Out of respect for the dead, I'm going to refrain from making W.VA jokes. It's too bad that these guys died. They were just trying to earn a living the only way they could.

mooby 04-06-2010 10:35 PM

I'll agree with TTE here. Mining is like the only option for people out there and some families out there have generations involved in it. R.I.P. to all involved.

What's pretty upsetting is the fact that the mine in question has a long history of safety violations. I mean they are probably making billions of dollars and safety for people working miles underground isn't a priority? Stupid.

As for that line of thinking that people living out there could migrate, what a stupid idea that would be. That'd be like taking ghetto kids out to a farm and saying, "here's your new life. Enjoy it." There's a reason most people don't change their entire lifestyle on a whim, and I doubt even this tragedy will make the rest of the miners at that place start leaving in masses.

tryfuhl 04-06-2010 11:59 PM

Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where they are now. And it's because they sat there that they were able to do it.

Hell maybe there's not a lot of opportunity, but find what there is. Not a lot of hope for inner city kids to go to Harvard but some make it. Some just have simply no desire to do anything else. It always saddens me to see a child know that they will enter a menial labor job and have no problem with it unless their family owns the business. Not to say that everyone is above the work, but I've lived in areas like that and nobody really has any drive.

right21arm 04-11-2010 04:32 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;684429]People learned how to migrate tens of thousands of years ago.[/quote]

lol nice