Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why Jason Campbell should stay in DC. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36008)

jdc65 04-07-2010 12:32 PM

Why Jason Campbell should stay in DC.

In my opinion, it is in Campbell's best long-term interest to stay with Washington. I cannot see any team giving him a starting job, unless only as a caretaker for a rookie draft-pick. Every team that needs a QB will address that this year in the draft, and that is who they will commit to.

Staying here as a back-up and learning the system and scheme that Shanahan runs will help him out more than getting 'lost' in a place like Oakland, Buffalo, or St.Louis. Shanahan will run a complex offensive scheme that will improve Jason's understanding of the game, reading defenses, and decision making ability.

Playing behind McNabb will teach Campbell valuable leadership skills and quarterback responsibilities that he won't likely get anywhere else. McNabb also misses games and JC will be a contributor in a successful offense.

The other players already like Campbell, but him staying will build a higher level of respect from them and the coaching staff.
This team is going to win, IMO, and being a contributing back-up on a winning team looks good on the resume, especially if a Hall-of-Fame coach gives you solid props.

Jason is still relatively young, and when McNabb retires in a few years, Campbell will be ready to assume the leadership role while he is healthy, and only 31-32 years of age. Otherwise JC could be lost as a permanent back-up on a different teams for the rest of his career.

I understand he wants starter's money, and if he can get it; he should.
However, I do not see any team giving him a starting QB contract or making any long commitment in him.
In my opinion, Campbell should stay here as a back-up, and make the best of the current situation. I believe it is the right thing to do for his career.

Beemnseven 04-07-2010 12:33 PM

Re: Why Jason Campbell should stay in DC.

It's not up to Jason to decide if he wants stay here.

celts32 04-07-2010 12:34 PM

Ships sunk rock.

Longtimefan 04-07-2010 12:40 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;685084]It's not up to Jason to decide if he wants stay here.[/quote]

I don't know what else is left to say about Jason.

johno 04-07-2010 12:40 PM

Are you kidding me? It's in Campbell's best interest to sit behind McNabb until he is in his early 30's?

It's not in Campbell's best interest to stay here. He wants to be a starter, and no longer wants to be in Washington. He is talented enough to start for someone else aka Oakland, Buffalo, or St. Louis. Additionally, Shanahan said that he would work with Campbell to find him a starting position else where.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-07-2010 12:43 PM

What is a Jason Campbell?

Pocket$ $traight 04-07-2010 12:44 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;685084]It's not up to Jason to decide if he wants stay here.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. I have to think that if a third is offered, see you later JC.

jdc65 04-07-2010 12:47 PM

From what I've read, Mike S. says he wants Campbell here, but will let him go look for a starter's job. The tender offer is still on the table. I don't think they will get more than a 4th round pick for Campbell, and I think Shanahan would rather have a solid back-up to McNabb than a 4th round pick.

Trample the Elderly 04-07-2010 12:48 PM

There's nothing here for him now. I wouldn't stay.

Beemnseven 04-07-2010 12:51 PM

[quote=jdc65;685101][B]From what I've read, Mike S. says he wants Campbell here,[/B] but will let him go look for a starter's job. The tender offer is still on the table. I don't think they will get more than a 4th round pick for Campbell, and I think Shanahan would rather have a solid back-up to McNabb than a 4th round pick.[/quote]

Is that true? Shanahan actually said that?

Seems like the writing is on the wall. McNabb is unquestioned starter, and they've already signed Grossman as the backup; so it looks like they don't want to have to teach JC the new playbook to compete for the #2 position with Rex.

If you can find a quote from Shanahan on this, I'd love to see it.

jdc65 04-07-2010 12:54 PM

[quote=johno;685094]Are you kidding me? It's in Campbell's best interest to sit behind McNabb until he is in his early 30's?

It's not in Campbell's best interest to stay here. He wants to be a starter, and no longer wants to be in Washington. He is talented enough to start for someone else aka Oakland, Buffalo, or St. Louis. Additionally, Shanahan said that he would work with Campbell to find him a starting position else where.[/quote]

If St.Louis and Buffalo draft Bradfrod and Claussen as expected, how long would Campbell start? 6 games, maybe 10? Then be a forever back-up.
Oakland is a mess, and going there is a disaster in the making. Their offense is worse than ours, and their coaching is abominable. They will also probably draft a QB early, and look to start him sooner rather than later.

DBUCHANON101 04-07-2010 01:04 PM

Shanny told him to seek a trade and stay away. pretty much cut and dry that he doesnt want him around. I believe that Shanny and Co must have seen something on tape to show them that JC isnt a guy that they can work with.

jdc65 04-07-2010 01:13 PM

I believe that Campbell told Shanahan that he wants to look on his own for an opportunity elsewhere, and he would rather stay away from voluntary workouts until he figures out his next move. Clearly Shanahan would trade him for a quality pick, but that seems unlikely to me. I don't consider a 4th a quality pick myself, but we'll see.
I think Campbell is the best back-up the team can get, and will keep him pending a 'good' offer.

SmootSmack 04-07-2010 01:18 PM

[quote=jdc65;685082]In my opinion, it is in Campbell's best long-term interest to stay with Washington. I cannot see any team giving him a starting job, unless only as a caretaker for a rookie draft-pick. Every team that needs a QB will address that this year in the draft, and that is who they will commit to.[/quote]

So let's say the Bills draft Dan Lefevour, for argumen't sake, and trade for Jason Campbell. Campbell starts one year in Buffalo puts up strong numbers, in 2011 Favre retires, Campbell's a free agent and Bam! he's starting on a playoff team in Minnesota. Better than toiling as a backup here I'd think

[quote]Staying here as a back-up and learning the system and scheme that Shanahan runs will help him out more than getting 'lost' in a place like Oakland, Buffalo, or St.Louis. Shanahan will run a complex offensive scheme that will improve Jason's understanding of the game, reading defenses, and decision making ability.[/quote]

He's well past the point of needing to sit on the bench to learn system and scheme. If he's not at this point, he doesn't belong in the league

[quote]Playing behind McNabb will teach Campbell valuable leadership skills and quarterback responsibilities that he won't likely get anywhere else. McNabb also misses games and JC will be a contributor in a successful offense.[/quote]

Starting somewhere would be more beneficial to developing leadership skills

[quote]The other players already like Campbell, but him staying will build a higher level of respect from them and the coaching staff.
This team is going to win, IMO, and being a contributing back-up on a winning team looks good on the resume, especially if a Hall-of-Fame coach gives you solid props.[/quote]

Players don't generally respect guys who would prefer to be a back-up than a starter

[quote]Jason is still relatively young, and when McNabb retires in a few years, Campbell will be ready to assume the leadership role while he is healthy, and only 31-32 years of age. Otherwise JC could be lost as a permanent back-up on a different teams for the rest of his career.

I understand he wants starter's money, and if he can get it; he should.
However, I do not see any team giving him a starting QB contract or making any long commitment in him.
In my opinion, Campbell should stay here as a back-up, and make the best of the current situation. I believe it is the right thing to do for his career.[/quote]

I can't see any reason for Campbell to want to stay here

tryfuhl 04-07-2010 01:24 PM

Shanahan said that he granted Jason/his agent permission to seek a starting job elsewhere. If after the draft he hadn't found it, then he'll be back here with us.

It makes sense for JC not to be there right now as it would be a huge distraction.