Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Different Season, Same Trap (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36024)

GusFrerotte 04-08-2010 06:29 PM

Re: Different Season, Same Trap

[quote=Mattyk;685970]I think there's two good reasons for some optimism:

Shanahan and now McNabb

Plus, after last season it can't get any worse. Can it?[/quote]

We willl do way better than 4-12, but the other guys are right, other than McNabb and our two FA running backs, we still are essentially the same team.Since we lost our #2 pick to get McNabb, we might only be able to scrounge up one starter for our O line this year. Any linemen in rounds 4-7 if you play the odds, are going to be just roster fodder or practice squad material if they show some promise.

Lotus 04-08-2010 06:30 PM

[quote=internetcareer;685983]well for the most part we know exactly who will play on the offensive line.
Left guard is Derrick Dockery. Center is Casey Rabach. Right guard is EITHER Hicks or Big Mike. Right tackle is Heyer because Shanny keeps talking like he ishigh on him. And HOPEFULLY...Okung will be the left tackle. That is the only position which is clearly up in the air but we will know that in less than 2 weeks.[/quote]

Let's look again:

LT: ??? at least until April 22 - there is no guarantee right now that Shanny will draft Okung
LG: Dock
C: Rabach
RG: you actually indicate that this is in doubt. Could be Hicks, Williams, Rino, or a FA or rookie to be named later
RT: Heyer is hardly a shoo-in. Could be a FA or rookie to be named later.

The offensive line of 2009 brought down the whole team. The offensive line of 2010 is 60% uncertain right now. QED it is too early to be making predictions.

SmootSmack 04-08-2010 06:39 PM

Tough to say how we'll do because key roles on the roster are not set yet. I do imagine that this team will put more effort than we saw in games like Detroit and KC last year.

I'm still not sure how McNabb is "past his prime" Is it because of his age? Because when I look at his numbers the past couple of years I don't see a guy past his prime

CRedskinsRule 04-08-2010 06:41 PM

Wow, I am still not sold on the Skins transformation, but if it could be any more poorly described, I am not sure how.
[quote=sandtrapjack;685974]I love optimism as much as the next guy. But from the outside looking in, besides the coach and GM this team still has essentially the same face.
[/quote]
Let's see we cut 10 "good team players" before free agency. Not a cost saving move or cap saving move, purely a football ability and team direction move. Not really the same face at all
[quote]Got McNabb, sure. But is not this team reputed to be one that tends to sign big names that are past thier prime? How is this any different?
[/quote]You won't get me making a huge defense for McNabb, at the same time a 34yo QB who was in the PB very recently, and has led his team to the playoffs and was released because of his team's decision and was not a FA looking for a big payday.
[quote]
And such lofty predictions even BEFORE the draft, before mini camps, before the roster is solidified. Way too much can happen between now and September.[/quote]
Wow, I bet I go to any fan board and they are talking about how their team will be competitive. This is a shocking situation.
[quote]
And do you really think enough is being done to improve by 6 or 7 wins? Last time that happened was 1999 when the Rams went 13-3 after a 3-13 season in 1998.[/quote]
2002-2003 Dallas 5-11 to 10-6
1989-1990 Dallas 1-15 to 7-9
2007-2008 Miami 1-15 to 11-5 (nice you forgot that one)
1998-1999 Rams 3-13 to 13-3

So it has happened on occasion.

Really, your comments were that of a Dallas fan with no clue. You usually are better than that.

MTK 04-08-2010 06:44 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;685992]We willl do way better than 4-12, but the other guys are right, other than McNabb and our two FA running backs, we still are essentially the same team.Since we lost our #2 pick to get McNabb, we might only be able to scrounge up one starter for our O line this year. Any linemen in rounds 4-7 if you play the odds, are going to be just roster fodder or practice squad material if they show some promise.[/quote]

Several key guys from previous years are gone:

Rock Cartwright
Ladell Betts
Fred Smoot
Cornelius Griffin
Randy Thomas
Antwaan Randel El

I think it's safe to say this won't be the same team in 2010. It will definitely have a new attitude courtesy of Mike Shanahan.

SirClintonPortis 04-08-2010 06:47 PM

The thing about the recent mistakes of the past were that the acquisitions involved players that were not scheme-fits(Jason Taylor), not that good to begin with(Brandon Lloyd, ARE), or we SIMPLY DID NOT USE THEM(T.J Duckett). McNabb is EVERYTHING that they are not. Also, the FA acquisitions like LJ, Parker, Hicks, etc all have VERY CHEAP contracts.

mlmdub130 04-08-2010 06:50 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;685997]Tough to say how we'll do because key roles on the roster are not set yet. I do imagine that this team will put more effort than we saw in games like Detroit and KC last year.

[B]I'm still not sure how McNabb is "past his prime" Is it because of his age? Because when I look at his numbers the past couple of years I don't see a guy past his prime[/B][/quote]

seriously and how is he so over priced, the way i see it we got a 6 time pro bowl qb for 11 mil i don't think that is over priced, he is one of the top ten qb's in the league and he is now a redskin i just don't see how you can consider this a bad move.

i will not however drink the koolaide and say we are gonne win 12 games this year, i just don't see that happening but i do see an improvement if we had mcnabb and shanny last year we could have won 10 or 11 games, this season we have a lot harder schedule though

saden1 04-08-2010 07:05 PM

[quote=Mattyk;686003]Several key guys from previous years are gone:

Rock Cartwright
Ladell Betts
Fred Smoot
Cornelius Griffin
Randy Thomas
Antwaan Randel El

I think it's safe to say this won't be the same team in 2010. It will definitely have a new attitude courtesy of Mike Shanahan.[/quote]

Hmmm, not sure if any of these guys would qualify as "key guys." The only one that comes close is perhaps Cartwright as a primary kick returner. How sad.

SmootSmack 04-08-2010 07:07 PM

[quote=saden1;686015]Hmmm, not sure if any of these guys would qualify as "key guys." The only one that comes close is perhaps Cartwright as a primary kick returner. How sad.[/quote]

I think they were definitely "key guys"

ARE was our #2 WR for several years, RT our starting right guard, Betts our #2 back...

They played major roles on the team

SirClintonPortis 04-08-2010 07:13 PM

Griff was also the main DT before Al came along and Thomas was the starter at RG. Hardly insignificant.

Longtimefan 04-08-2010 08:03 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;685997]Tough to say how we'll do because key roles on the roster are not set yet. I do imagine that this team will put more effort than we saw in games like Detroit and KC last year.

I'm still not sure how McNabb is "past his prime" Is it because of his age? Because when I look at his numbers the past couple of years I don't see a guy past his prime[/quote]

I have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Shields at Wills Eye Hospital in Philly next thursday morning at 9:00 AM. I can't wait for the opportunity to discuss the McNabb trade with a few of my die-hard Philly fan friends. My Nephew works at the Pharmacy directly across the street from the hospital, and swears McNabb was the best thing that ever happened in Philly including all their sports franchises.

right21arm 04-08-2010 08:22 PM

16-0 as long as we have grossman!

DBUCHANON101 04-08-2010 08:23 PM

[quote=right21arm;686025]16-0 as long as we have grossman![/quote]

Hey!! Puff puff PASS!

right21arm 04-08-2010 08:27 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;685974]I love optimism as much as the next guy. But from the outside looking in, besides the coach and GM this team still has essentially the same face.

Got McNabb, sure. But is not this team reputed to be one that tends to sign big names that are past thier prime? How is this any different?

And such lofty predictions even BEFORE the draft, before mini camps, before the roster is solidified. Way too much can happen between now and September.

And do you really think enough is being done to improve by 6 or 7 wins? Last time that happened was 1999 when the Rams went 13-3 after a 3-13 season in 1998.[/quote]

hey, cowboys fan, you said it yourself. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEBN. so now i'm going to beat you up. skins 16-0.

CapitalPunishment 04-08-2010 08:31 PM

I think it's easy to assume that all the hidden offensive talent will emerge as a result of getting DM. I see our offensive line being worse than it was last year. Even if we draft heavy O-line in the draft I don't see many outplaying our old and departed vets from last year. I don't see the zone blocking scheme being something that is picked up in one offseason...especially with the talent we have. If we lose big Al and have a hard time adjusting to the 3-4 our D could easily slip out of the top 10 this year. Ridiculous home schedule, decent away...I can't see more than 7 wins this year.