Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Holmes traded to jets. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36052)

Ruhskins 04-12-2010 09:26 AM

Re: Holmes traded to jets.

[quote=tryfuhl;686953]there are some talks that Leon Washington could be heading to the Steelers as well, but since he hasn't signed his tender yet they can't really do much with that[/quote]

Those were just rumors.

mlmpetert 04-12-2010 11:06 AM

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]A great move by the Jets, but is also a really good thing in my eyes for Santonio. Hopefully this will open his eyes big time. He will be a FA next year and with only 12 games to prove himself hes also going to have to make some off the field commitments too. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Also pft is reporting that the Stealers contacted “every team” out there. Obviously Shanahan has been willing to take some chances on potential “distractions” during his time in Denver, and now with Larry Johnson. To me, especially since the addition of McNabb, this is a vote of confidence to our current receiver corps and the soon to be rags to riches story of Marko Mitchell. [/FONT][/SIZE]

KLHJ2 04-12-2010 11:17 AM

[quote=The Goat;686909]Interesting move by the Jets. [B]I still think the Jets will take a WR relatively high in the draft because looking at that roster it's the one weak spot[/B].

Like someone else said I think the Jets are the primary SB contender from the AFC. That defense will be unbelievable we the return of injured guys and addition of Cromartie. The offense can only get better too.[/quote]

Really? Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Jericho Cotchery are a weak spot? I would hate to know what you think of an average WR corps.

MTK 04-12-2010 11:20 AM

[quote=Angry;686987]Really? Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Jericho Cotchery are a weak spot? I would hate to know what you think of an average WR corps.[/quote]

I think they now have a pretty solid WR corps. Weak spot? Damn our WRs must be downright pathetic.

Monkeydad 04-12-2010 11:22 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;686902]They really like Mike Wallace[/quote]

They better. Randel El won't be Holmes' replacement.

The NJ Jets are building up a great team around a bad QB, which could actually work.

RB, they're solid. LT may be a slight downgrade at this point from Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, but as a part-time back, he could do fine.

WR, they're solid with Braylon Edwards and Holmes.

O-line is the best in the NFL since The Hogs.

One of the better defenses in the league.

If Sanchez can turn his 20 INTs into even "just" 15, they could win it all. I never see Fez becoming a top NFL QB, but in a Trent Dilfer role, he could win.

jdlea 04-12-2010 11:23 AM

Interesting stuff from Mort, especially for those (like myself) who think it was a bad trade:

[quote="Chris Mortensen"]Eddie B (Steelers beat writer) reported this A.M. Holmes was about to be released. a 5 was best they could do[/quote]

This was a tweet, I removed the RT tags and such

SirClintonPortis 04-12-2010 11:49 AM

[quote=Mattyk;686991]I think they now have a pretty solid WR corps. Weak spot? Damn our WRs must be downright pathetic.[/quote]

I think that it's just their style of football that makes them look worse than they actually are.

Ruhskins 04-12-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=SirClintonPortis;687016]I think that it's just their style of football that makes them look worse than they actually are.[/quote]

Well if making the playoffs all the way into the AFC championship is looking bad, then you have ridiculous standards.

That being said, I think any offensive ineptitude shown by the NYJ last season probably just had to do by Sanchez' growing pains. Although, I think this upcoming season they should be fine and should be a contender unless Sanchez has a sophomore slump and/or LT and L. Washington breakdown.

irish 04-12-2010 12:04 PM

The Steelers must have really been sick of his act because they pretty much threw him out with Monday's trash. Once Holmes is exposed to everything NYC has to offer it wont be long before he's in trouble again.

KLHJ2 04-12-2010 12:21 PM

[quote=SirClintonPortis;687016]I think that it's just their style of football that makes them look worse than they actually are.[/quote]

What style makes who look worse? The Jets have some legitimate threats on the outside. If anything they were already dangerous, now they are down right scary. Their run/ pas options have increased significantly. I would hate to be the team that has to defend that running game with those threats lined up on the outside.

SirClintonPortis 04-12-2010 12:53 PM

[quote=Angry;687035]What style makes who look worse? The Jets have some legitimate threats on the outside. If anything they were already dangerous, now they are down right scary. Their run/ pas options have increased significantly. I would hate to be the team that has to defend that running game with those threats lined up on the outside.[/quote]No, what I tried to say is that that running 5000 times a game and playing tough defense on the majority in the games most people see the Jets play makes people [B]think[/B] their O to be more "bland" or "boring" than they actually are.

SFREDSKIN 04-12-2010 12:57 PM

They'll go after either Dez Bryant or Golden Tate in the draft, whoever is available when they pick at #17.

SirClintonPortis 04-12-2010 01:03 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;687022]Well if making the playoffs all the way into the AFC championship is looking bad, then you have ridiculous standards.

That being said, I think any offensive ineptitude shown by the NYJ last season probably just had to do by Sanchez' growing pains. Although, I think this upcoming season they should be fine and should be a contender unless Sanchez has a sophomore slump and/or LT and L. Washington breakdown.[/quote]
I'm talking about the aesthetic effects, not actual play effectiveness. There are no standards being propagated by me that run counter to conventional indicators of good O suchs as YPA for QBs, YPC for RBs, TD-INT ratio and the like.
Since you want to counter my point, and thus are arguing that the psychological effect of smashmouth running and tough defense all day is not going bore people to death and negatively affect their perception of a team's offense even if the O is actually not bad at all and instead wow them like the Saints' or Colts' explosive offenses, I would like to see at least some examples of that.

KLHJ2 04-12-2010 01:03 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;687044]They'll go after either Dez Bryant or Golden Tate in the draft, whoever is available when they pick at #17.[/quote]

Why not a younger running back or a playmaking safety?

SFREDSKIN 04-12-2010 01:05 PM

[quote=Angry;687048]Why not a younger running back or a playmaking safety?[/quote]

They've got Mendenhall and Palumalu and Ryan Clark, Wallace is good, Sweed hasn't done squat, Hines Ward and Randle El are old.