Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36132)

CRedskinsRule 04-16-2010 09:35 AM

Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

According to the last paragraph in [URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/defensive-lineman-kedric-golst.html"]this article[/URL]:
[QUOTE]Golston is expected to play nose tackle in the Redskins' 3-4 defense this season. He could become a full-time starter for the first time in his career.[/QUOTE]

Like with Portis, the team is not waiting on AH's status to move forward with their plans. It's been said in many ways, but the fact that we will move forward without "star" players definitely changes our franchise, and hopefully shows long term results on the field. I also hope DS continues learning, so that we have a top notch owner for the rest of his tenure.

Back to Golston. I remember one of the two Montgomery and Golston were looked at as a guy who outperformed his potential, and one who underperformed, can anyone remind me which was which?

thanks

SmootSmack 04-16-2010 09:41 AM

Re: Kedric Golston Signed, will play NT

Anthony Montgomery way underperforms his potential. He basically slipped in the draft because of his work ethic. He's compared actually most often to Haynesworth. World class talent with half ass commitment.

Golston meanwhile works his butt off, and both Shanahan and Haslett have said they have big plans for him this year and he'll get a lot of playing time in the middle. Of course, who knows how serious they're being.

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.

JoeRedskin 04-16-2010 10:00 AM

Golston is only 300lbs. I think most NT's are in the 320-340 range. I could be wrong on that. Other than being a little on the light side, it seems to me that Golston is the perfect NT. High motor, and can occupy a blocker if not defeat him. Question is, can he consistenly be handled by the center or will he require an occasional double team to move. Mind you, he doesnt have to beat the single blocker and penetrate, just make them use a 2nd blocker to move him out of the way.

Lotus 04-16-2010 10:02 AM

^ I think that Golston would be better as a 3-4 end rather than nose. I hope that things work out that way.

freddyg12 04-16-2010 10:08 AM

Golston has been great for us, a 6th round pick that has been solid & made some nice plays over the years. I would love to see AM stay here as well, but if they go 3-4 there's only so many of these DT guys that can fit in.

REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE 04-16-2010 10:14 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;689025]

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.[/quote]

Now that's a trade (assuming we dont give any draft pix away) that I can definitely support.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-16-2010 10:19 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;689025]Anthony Montgomery way underperforms his potential. He basically slipped in the draft because of his work ethic. He's compared actually most often to Haynesworth. World class talent with half ass commitment.

Golston meanwhile works his butt off, and both Shanahan and Haslett have said they have big plans for him this year and he'll get a lot of playing time in the middle. Of course, who knows how serious they're being.

Reportedly, the Skins want Carriker, Rams want Montgomery. But the rest of the trade hasn't been figured out. Once it does I think that deal will go down, probably next weekend.[/quote]

I imagine we'd have to give up a little more than just Montgomery to get Carriker.

My choice: Montgomery and Haynesworth for Carriker and the Rams 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. Although if they view Montgomery as a poor man's Haynesworth then they probably wouldnt have an interest in the real thing.

Either way, i'm very happy for Golston if he gets more playing time.

SmootSmack 04-16-2010 10:20 AM

By the way, just to be clear, what Golston signed was his tender offer.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-16-2010 10:27 AM

wonder why Reid thinks its a new contract?

SFREDSKIN 04-16-2010 10:43 AM

Good news! I love this guy, we should sign him to a long term contract. I wish Montgomery would have the motivation this guy displays.

SmootSmack 04-16-2010 10:47 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;689045]wonder why Reid thinks its a new contract?[/quote]

He did the same thing with Wilson I think. Technically it is new I guess, but I don't want people think he signed some long-term deal because best as I can tell that's not the case

BigHairedAristocrat 04-16-2010 10:50 AM

one thing i'm beginning to worry about is it doesnt seem like we're doing anything to extend any of our RFAs. This means that all these guys will be UFAs next year. It seems to me if the coaching staff really likes some of these guys, we should atleast try to lock them up for a 3 years so we dont lose half our roster after the season.

JoeRedskin 04-16-2010 10:58 AM

[quote=Lotus;689034]^ I think that Golston would be better as a 3-4 end rather than nose. I hope that things work out that way.[/quote]

Yeah. He and Daniels strike me as having the right build and attitude for 3-4 ends. Personally, I think AH can play anywhere on any line and be disruptive. Given my druthers, I had have a 3-4 line of Daniels, Kemo(will)eat-u, and AH, backed by Macintosh (behind Daniels), Blades, Fletcher & Orakpo (backing AH).

Jarmon, Alexander and Wilson rotate in as LB's & Golston and [Player to be determined later] comes in as DE and pass rushing NT.

CRedskinsRule 04-16-2010 11:05 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;689069]one thing i'm beginning to worry about is it doesnt seem like we're doing anything to extend any of our RFAs. This means that all these guys will be UFAs next year. It seems to me if the coaching staff really likes some of these guys, we should atleast try to lock them up for a 3 years so we dont lose half our roster after the season.[/quote]

Well that's not quite right, out of the guys we have kept:
3 signed 1 year contracts: Campbell,Will Montgomery(C) and Chris Wilson

1 signed a 2 year contract: Daniels

2 signed a 3 year contract: Casey Rabach, Lorenzo Alexander

1 signed a "multi-year" contract: Mike Williams

and 3, Heyer, Montgomery and Golston just signed their tenders.

So out of the 6 that are 1 year or tender signees how many do we really expect to be long term solutions? Maybe Golston and Wilson?

jdlea 04-16-2010 11:06 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;689033]Golston is only 300lbs. I think most NT's are in the 320-340 range. I could be wrong on that. Other than being a little on the light side, it seems to me that Golston is the perfect NT. High motor, and can occupy a blocker if not defeat him. Question is, can he consistenly be handled by the center or will he require an occasional double team to move. Mind you, he doesnt have to beat the single blocker and penetrate, just make them use a 2nd blocker to move him out of the way.[/quote]

Well, one of the best NT's in the game, Jay Ratliff, is only 303. He's showing that you can still play a successful 3-4 with a penetrating nose tackle.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-16-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;689077]Well that's not quite right, out of the guys we have kept:
3 signed 1 year contracts: Campbell,Will Montgomery(C) and Chris Wilson

1 signed a 2 year contract: Daniels

2 signed a 3 year contract: Casey Rabach, Lorenzo Alexander

1 signed a "multi-year" contract: Mike Williams

and 3, Heyer, Montgomery and Golston just signed their tenders.

So out of the 6 that are 1 year or tender signees how many do we really expect to be long term solutions? Maybe Golston and Wilson?[/quote]

thanks for the info - although i was under the impression that these multi-year contracts didnt come with enough garaunteed money attached to make them anything more than 1 year contracts with team options for the remaining years.

CRedskinsRule 04-16-2010 11:59 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;689109]thanks for the info - although i was under the impression that these multi-year contracts didnt come with enough garaunteed money attached to make them anything more than 1 year contracts with team options for the remaining years.[/quote]

That may be so, but they wouldn't be true free agents just available to be cut if the team wants to. I also didn't look at the other free agents we signed, so there may be more validity to what you said, if you include those contracts as well.

internetcareer 04-16-2010 07:47 PM

When Golston plays nose tackle in place of Kemo or Montgomery...

I'll believe it when I see it. Unless he can get to about 310-315. Or unless that is on passing downs. Now THAT could see.

But I see him as a defensive end.

12thMan 04-16-2010 08:16 PM

[quote=jdlea;689080]Well, one of the best NT's in the game, Jay Ratliff, is only 303. He's showing that you can still play a successful 3-4 with a penetrating nose tackle.[/quote]

You beat me to it. Actually, I think Ratliff is the best NT in the game right now.

30gut 04-16-2010 08:17 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;689020]According to the last paragraph in [URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/defensive-lineman-kedric-golst.html"]this article[/URL]:

Like with Portis, the team is not waiting on AH's status to move forward with their plans. It's been said in many ways, but the fact that we will move forward without "star" players definitely changes our franchise, and hopefully shows long term results on the field. I also hope DS continues learning, so that we have a top notch owner for the rest of his tenure.

Back to Golston. I remember one of the two Montgomery and Golston were looked at as a guy who outperformed his potential, and one who underperformed, can anyone remind me which was which?

thanks[/quote]

I wonder what makes them think he's expected to play NT when we have Kemo.

I could see Golston as a 1-gap penetrarting NT ala Ratliff but he's not Ratliff.

I think he would make a decent 3-4 DE/ 5-tech.

CultBrennan59 04-16-2010 09:32 PM

We have Kemo at NT..why do the redskins insist on getting guys that don't fit the NT mould...Haynesworth and Gholston for the real NT, Kemo??

skins89moss 04-16-2010 11:28 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;689291]We have Kemo at NT..why do the redskins insist on getting guys that don't fit the NT mould...Haynesworth and Gholston for the real NT, Kemo??[/quote]

Well Kemo is coming off a injury from last season. I think he missed most of last season. We need depth at the NT position so who knows who will be the starter this season.

ethat001 04-17-2010 12:08 PM

Kemo may not even be on the field by the preseason...

[QUOTE]Kemoeatu's Achilles' tendon is healed, but according to reports by Jason Reid of the Washington Post, Kemo's agent is stating that it is uncertain whether he will be in on-field condition by the preseason.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/377796-redskins-sign-bryant-haynesworth-staying-in-town]Redskins Sign Anthony Bryant: Albert Haynesworth Staying in Town? | Bleacher Report[/url][/QUOTE]

Defensewins 04-17-2010 02:45 PM

[quote=jdlea;689080]Well, one of the best NT's in the game, Jay Ratliff, is only 303. He's showing that you can still play a successful 3-4 with a penetrating nose tackle.[/quote]

I like Golson as a Redskin.
Yes Ratliff is listed at 303, but he is much stronger than Golston.
Ratliff can disrupt and can break through double teams. Golston not as much. It is doubtful Golston will wake up tomorrow and play like Ratliff. He would have shown the ability by now. Golston is a good DL.

jdc65 04-17-2010 05:33 PM

The team has 3 NTs already. 3-4 DE is a weakness now, and if Haynesworth is gone, then End is a major problem. Golston has to be an End, IMO.
Way too many 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs, and not enough 3-4 DEs and 3-4 ILBs.

JLee9718 04-17-2010 05:55 PM

Golston might not be a star, but he's a solid player on the defensive line. You never hear him complaining, like AH or CP.

Longtimefan 04-17-2010 06:12 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;689063]Good news! I love this guy, we should sign him to a long term contract. I wish Montgomery would have the motivation this guy displays.[/quote]

Watching Montgomery at the U. of M he consistently made plays, his game was always in the oppositions backfield. Hard to figure what happened to him after coming here other than perhaps his work ethic.