Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins 2010 Draft Class with Analysis (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36292)

mlmdub130 04-24-2010 07:29 PM

Re: Redskins 2010 Draft Class with Analysis

great break down db, you have been all over the draft

Dirtbag59 04-24-2010 07:43 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;694434]great break down db, you have been all over the draft[/quote]

What can I say, I love the draft. This is like Christmas for me. I think that this is the first time I've been able to spend the whole draft on thewarpath since I couldn't make it home to Atlanta and fortunately a lot of you guys helped fill the void.

Of course this is the best draft that's come along in a while mainly because we didn't have to worry about seeing this afterwards:
[YT]NN6-HtAVW4Y[/YT]

drew54 04-24-2010 07:50 PM

This draft helped me to realize not to make judgments until you have seen the whole body of work.

At the time of the Morris pick, I was pretty down that a WR and OL were being addressed. Now seeing the complete body of work, I would grade this a B. I feel there is only one true starter as of right now(Williams), but there is potential for 3 more guys to start later this year or by 2011(Riley, Morris, & Capers).

Austin is basically the same size as Dexter Jackson. I think 175 is a tad under weight, but Steve Smith is only 185 and two inches shorter. I am sure he will fill out some, and could hopefully add a spark to the return game. Cook is a big dude, and has played all over the line. Versatile olinemen is a lesson learned the hard way last year, and even though we have new coaches, they got the memo. If not, they were only 7th rounders.

drew54 04-24-2010 08:00 PM

I know 19 reps could be called weak up top, but these guys have some thick legs.

PHazard 04-24-2010 08:09 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;694428]We didn't retain Todd Yoder leaving a need for a blocking TE. This guy is not only athletic but he loves to block, and from the looks of his highlight film he's good at it. On top of that he will not just play TE but also FB and Special Teams. He should actually be pretty effective blocking on kick offs. Also considering the fact that we ended up with two lineman afterwards that I was interested in I have no problem with this pick. In fact I like it.

The thing I didn't like about it though was the fact that they drafted a similar player last year in Eddie Williams (TE/FB Idaho) in that they found a small school TE that they intended to convert to Fullback, but the main difference between the two is that Morris is much more physical.

On a side note I'm starting to think that this year the team won't have any 2010 UDFA's on the final roster.[/quote]

I thought we had addressed the Blocking TE when we signed Sean Ryan after his tenure with the Chiefs so this pick didnt make sense at first. But movign him to FB i can def see a place for him. he's got great hands, he's tough to bring down and most of all he's an AGGRESSIVE blocker. You want those players that are hungry and that kid looks hungry! Mike Sellers wont last forever. Maybe Morris can fill in like a peyton hillis type of shanahans past.

I was suprised we didnt see us pick a RB. And now with S. Johnson goin to the Titans and Blount goin to the 49ers im kinda worried that shanahan IS ok goin into the season with portis, johnson, and parker. But the day is not over yet.

SFREDSKIN 04-24-2010 08:37 PM

What I liked most about this years draft, is that the FO addressed the OL which was way overdue. Also, I like the restrain on trading players like McIntosh, Carter, Haynesworth, Rogers, etc. We wouldn't have gotten fair value and they knew it, kudos for doing all the right things!! No RB were drafted and I'm sure they feel that we have some serious depth and they must feel Alridge can contribute.

SkinzWin 04-24-2010 08:39 PM

Dennis Morris is nasty. I do not think it would be a stretch to say we will probably have one of, if not the, best TE groups in the league next year.

GusFrerotte 04-24-2010 08:44 PM

Allen salvaged the draft in the last day for sure. At least we addressed needs and seemed to shore up our O line nicely. Wish Austin was a bigger guy though.

SkinsfanNTX 04-25-2010 12:15 AM

Thanks DirtBag good work on the writeups...I'm passing no judgement on this draft because I will trust the work of Shanahan/Allen that they took the players that will most help the team be successful...Williams/Capers will likely be our LT/RT this year.

tryfuhl 04-25-2010 12:40 AM

[quote=Chico23231;694387]The Dennis Morris youtube clip is in my favorites now. That guy is fuckin nasty. Awesome.[/quote]
man that catch over/behind the defender was sick

solid blocking too, at least at that level

dirtythirty 04-25-2010 01:00 AM

Dennis Morris does look like a beast in his video. I just hope he can do it at the next level.

tryfuhl 04-25-2010 01:40 AM

that catch was over [URL="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/kyle-wilson?id=79527"]Kyle Wilson[/URL], by the way

Pocket$ $traight 04-25-2010 02:10 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;694438]What can I say, I love the draft. This is like Christmas for me. I think that this is the first time I've been able to spend the whole draft on thewarpath since I couldn't make it home to Atlanta and fortunately a lot of you guys helped fill the void.

Of course this is the best draft that's come along in a while mainly because we didn't have to worry about seeing this afterwards:
[YT]NN6-HtAVW4Y[/YT][/quote]

Jeez... Seeing that just emphasizes that we never had a chance with him here.

Dirtbag59 04-25-2010 02:22 AM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;694573]Jeez... Seeing that just emphasizes that we never had a chance with him here.[/quote]

I feel bad for the Jag and Bills fans. They have to go out of their way to defend their front office decision makers and convince themselves that they know what they're doing. And while it is most likely that GM's forget more in a day then a fan learns in a lifetime the fact remains that they don't always make good decisions and sometimes thats obvious even to the fans.

No one wants to invest a bunch of time following their team in the offseason and feel like the their GM doesn't know what he's doing but unfortunately sometimes you don't get much of a choice.

Pocket$ $traight 04-25-2010 02:33 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;694576]I feel bad for the Jag and Bills fans. They have to go out of their way to defend their front office decision makers and convince themselves that they know what they're doing. And while it is most likely that GM's forget more in a day then a fan learns in a lifetime the fact remains that they don't always make good decisions and sometimes thats obvious even to the fans.

No one wants to invest a bunch of time following their team in the offseason and feel like the their GM doesn't know what he's doing but unfortunately sometimes you don't get much of a choice.[/quote]

Vinny just never focused on the right things. I am not as down on him as some, I would actually argue that his draft record wasn't that bad. However, the radio show, the moronic comments, the goofy laugh, the trbl picks thrown away on castaways...when you add it all up, he just isn't the guy who you want making critical decisions.