Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Divisional questions (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=363)

DA Hogs 03-10-2004 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=SittingBull]I think we have a way easier schedule then last year. Most of our tough ones are at home this year i.e Green Bay, Baltimore, Tampa Bay and Minnesota. We got Cincinatti at home which should be a stomp. We play Detroit (probably on Thanksgiving), Cleveland, Chicago and an unproven 49ers away. Dallas meanwhile has to play Green Bay, Minnesota and Baltimore all away lol. Philly seems to have a similar home schedule as the Skins except switch out Tampa for Carolina. St louis and pittsburgh seem to be their hardest away games other then the division games of course.[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't call cinci a stomp they have drasticly improved in every game last year they have a great chance in running that division this year if baltimore was a fluke last season

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-10-2004 10:28 PM

Every offseason I have talked about how the Eagles were not going to falter due to the loss of key players during free agency. This offseason [I]may[/I] be different.

For one, the Eagles were horrible in stopping the run last season (as has been noted in previous posts), and they did little to help themselves this offseason. They got rid of the one guy on defense who really helped them stop the run - Carlos Emmons (and Dhani Jones, though good, is not a premiere run-stuffer). Moroever, the Eagles have yet to fill the hole at MLB left by Trotter's defection to Washington.

I don't think the losses of Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent will be felt all that much (provided there aren't major injuries in the new Eagles secondary). The Eagles have some great young corners and their pass rush has improved dramatically (with the addition of Kearse).

The Eagles run D has gotten worse, it's pretty much a draw in the secondary, and the pass rush has improved. Overall, I'd say the Eagles D has improved (barring major injuries in the secondary or to Kearse).

On offense, the Eagles surprisingly didn't pursue TO with much vigor. I thought that the Eagles would definately get TO. Because the Eagles have managed the cap so well, they could have afforded to front-load the contracts for Kearse and TO (so as to not mortgage the future). Maybe they'll end up with TO (if the Ravens deal falls through), but that's far from certain. Then the Eagles let Darrell "drop-em" Jackson get re-signed by the Seahawks. So, I guess they are going to wait to draft a wideout next month. Though they'll probably get a high quality WR (because of the amazing WR depth in the class of 2004).

Even if they do get a good WR in the draft (i.e. Rashaun Woods), they're going to have to hope that McNabb and Westbrook have great seasons if they expect their offense to go anywhere. Thrash, Mitchell and Pinkston just aren't getting the job done, Staley is a Steeler, and the Eagles oline is about as overrated as they get (not that they are considered top-notch, but they are considered good, which is far from true).

I say the Eagles offense has weakened more than the Eagles defense has improved.

The Eagles go 10-6 and we go 9-7. I'm going to say that we split the series (the first time I've said we'd split with the Eagles since 2000).

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-10-2004 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven]I'm telling you right now -- [B]WATCH OUT FOR DALLAS ON DRAFT DAY.[/B]

It's been quiet in Dallas this offseason, [I]too quiet[/I]. Don't be surprised one bit if they work some sort of deal to leapfrog everybody and snatch up Kevin or Greg Jones, Kellen Winslow or ... Sean Taylor.

I haven't quite figured out the physics of such a deal, but with Jerry Jones, you just never know.

Keep your eyes peeled, fellas.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Boys will make a splash on draft day. They don't need Taylor with Williams and Woodson as their safeties. They could use a corner (but there is not a single corner worth trading up for). They desperately need a RB, but Greg Jones, Kevin Jones, or Steven Jackson will be available to them when they pick.

They could trade up to get Philip Rivers, but I doubt it. They have too many needs to trade up (they need every pick since they didn't address their needs during FA).

Redskins8588 03-10-2004 10:46 PM

I agree the schedule looks better this year than last. The only teams that IMO are gonna be tough are the teams that have a good running game. Also Philly, we always have a tough time with scrambling QB's

Beemnseven 03-10-2004 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I don't think the Boys will make a splash on draft day. They don't need Taylor with Williams and Woodson as their safeties. They could use a corner (but there is not a single corner worth trading up for). They desperately need a RB, but Greg Jones, Kevin Jones, or Steven Jackson will be available to them when they pick.

They could trade up to get Philip Rivers, but I doubt it. They have too many needs to trade up (they need every pick since they didn't address their needs during FA).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about the Williams/Woodson duo at safety for the Cowboys. Still, they might like Winslow.

Like I said though, it's just been too quiet in Cowboy country this year.

SittingBull 03-10-2004 10:56 PM

Cinci's offense was ticking pretty well towards the end of last season but word is they're gonna trade Dillon because he's unhappy there and their defense is too bad to be fixed up with the draft only in my opinion. And I dont think they've made any major moves so far. But it is too early to tell. Right now I still think it should be a stomp =]

SmootSmack 03-10-2004 10:59 PM

Well the Bengals did make one major move. They benched Kitna and are going with Carson Palmer at QB

Ghost 03-11-2004 02:40 AM

I fully expect Gibbs to turn the ship around and get us deep into the playoffs THIS season. Look at the players we have. We're deep at QB. A guy by the name of Clinton Portis will be running the ball for us. Deep at WR. Pro Bowlers on the OL. On paper this is one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. On defense, the main addition is Gregg Williams, who's an innovator with a history of building good defenses from scratch. Somehow we'll have a top ten defense. Our coach is Joe Gibbs, a sociological genius and motivator who brings intangibles that none of us really understand. His focus will be transforming these guys a real team that will fight hard for pride's sake every Sunday. Remember that? Again, on paper, I think this is the best team in the NFC East right now, prior to the draft. Yes we've had our hopes dashed before despite big offseasons, but this one feels different. I think 12-4 is realistic. Screw 8-8.

DA Hogs 03-11-2004 08:00 PM

dilon wasn't a major impact for cinci last season; rudi was the work horse on that team..thanks to a hugh improvment to the o line

JWsleep 03-11-2004 09:11 PM

If Bugel and Gibbs get the o-line playing at top speed, we will be a very good team. We will win games with ball control. That will keep our D rested and ready, and let the new Hogs wear the opponents.

Look, we've got a top notch o-line on paper. Spurrier (with that loser Helton) were at their WORST when it came to coaching an NFL line. That is Gibbs and Bugel's strength. ANd they have a WAY better RB to use. So I think we should be at 9-7/10-6 and a good wildcard spot.

Until someone beats philly, they are the favs to win the NFC again. But I hope Ramseyfan is right. THe boys will let down a bit because they wont win any lucky ones. And the gints are still in transition.

Philly 1, Skins 2

SittingBull 03-12-2004 12:07 AM

I think dallas would be the toughest for us to run against within the division. Big D line and quick agile linebackers seem to be tailored to stop Portis.