Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Look Inside the Pre-Draft Interview (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36348)

SmootSmack 04-27-2010 01:41 PM

A Look Inside the Pre-Draft Interview

Interesting Read

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippintuesday042710]Ireland's, Dolphins' arrogance unacceptable - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

MTK 04-27-2010 01:54 PM

Re: A Look Inside the Pre-Draft Interview

I'm sure a lot of dumb questions are asked. Sure teams want to know about these guys inside and out, but still, you've gotta question the common sense of some of this.

tryfuhl 04-27-2010 02:14 PM

Good read, I know that teams have long-term investments but so does anyone else interviewing. I'd be able to keep my cool but it would make me very weary of joining such an organization.

MTK 04-27-2010 02:17 PM

I remember thinking that Ryan Clark's situation seemed odd. He seemed really intent on signing there and he would have been a good signing for them, then all of a sudden he was back in Pittsburgh.

SmootSmack 04-27-2010 05:08 PM

[url=http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/]Miami Dolphins In Depth[/url]

tryfuhl 04-27-2010 05:09 PM

That's good that he apologized.

Chico23231 04-27-2010 05:40 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;695756][url=http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/]Miami Dolphins In Depth[/url][/quote]

That guy is a piece of sh*t. period.

The sad thing is if Dez would have ripped this piece of sh*t to shreds, we be talking about how bad of a person Dez is. ass backwards

Lotus 04-27-2010 06:01 PM

Ireland was over the top. But other people might not have apologized whereas Ireland did.

SmootSmack 04-27-2010 06:03 PM

I doubt he would have apologized had this report not come out. He's probably saving face more than showing any genuine remorse

tootergray34 04-27-2010 06:11 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;695773]I doubt he would have apologized had this report not come out. He's probably saving face more than showing any genuine remorse[/quote]

couldn't agree more...
what does this have to do with him being productive on the football field regardless? What a joke...this guy should be booted from the league.

Monkeydad 04-27-2010 06:29 PM

I'm sure Michael Irvin also asked the same question when Dez interviewed with Dallas. Where's the hubbub about that?

Seriously...that question? Why? That's horrible. I'm definitely no Dez Bryant question, but that question is best left to the police to ask if there's some sort of situation...not a football team. Geesh.

The Goat 04-27-2010 08:37 PM

I mean the question is in bad taste but I wonder if it's purpose is to evaluate how the player responds as opposed to what his mother's history might have been. Bad form no doubt, but really I don't see any [I]there[/I] there.

And the Zack Thomas/Jason Taylor dribble is just boohoo nonsense IMO. The current regime has little connection to those players, and who knows what other factors were involved. The writer was really reaching w/ this story.

SmootSmack 04-27-2010 09:05 PM

There are other questions he could have asked if he wanted to test how he'd respond.

Rainy Parade 04-28-2010 09:24 AM

[quote=The Goat;695822]

And the Zack Thomas/Jason Taylor dribble is just boohoo nonsense IMO. The current regime has little connection to those players, and who knows what other factors were involved. [/quote]

sure, the current regime doesn't have the connection... and i realize that if guys are still in the league signing else where (like JT) then using the Dolphins facility might be odd, or a line that should be drawn..... but c'mon, do right by the fans for longtime guys who are so beloved to the fans in Miami. figure out a compromise or some way to honor them or wish them well.

and agree that if ireland was just trying to see how Dez repsonded to trashtalk or whatever, there were other ways to test him or provoke him in an interview setting without goin the 'your mom's a whore' route.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-28-2010 09:31 AM

“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,” says former NFL lineman Kyle Turley(notes). “I mean, where do these people come from? [B][I]That’s just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional.”[/I][/B]

This kind of made me laugh. Isn't it ironic? Dontcha' think?

JoeRedskin 04-28-2010 09:39 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;695829]There are other questions he could have asked if he wanted to test how he'd respond.[/quote]

Gotta say, if you had asked me that question in a job interview when I was in my early 20's, I may not have "reacted well under pressure" .

Rainy Parade 04-28-2010 09:44 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;695933]“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,” says former NFL lineman Kyle Turley(notes). “I mean, where do these people come from? [B][I]That’s just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional.”[/I][/B]

This kind of made me laugh. Isn't it ironic? Dontcha' think?[/quote]

ha, yea i thought the same thing when i read it yesterday. droppin F-bombs in a sentence about profossionalism and class. gotta love it.

Longtimefan 04-28-2010 10:57 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;695773]I doubt he would have apologized had this report not come out. He's probably saving face more than showing any genuine remorse[/quote]

I would have insisted on an apology on the spot, and would have done so in a way that would asure the questioner would in the future, refrain from such practices. There should never come a time or place during the course of an interview those type questions should be asked.

wilsowilso 04-28-2010 11:41 AM

I would really like to hear what Goodell thinks about this?

"Image is everything" for that guy.

Rainy Parade 04-28-2010 11:53 AM

[quote=wilsowilso;696006]I would really like to hear what Goodell thinks about this?

"Image is everything" for that guy.[/quote]

maybe Ireland was just looking for a discreet professional hookup instead of trolling the bars in georgia for drunk college chicks. i'm sure Goodell would applaud that.

skinsfan69 04-28-2010 02:41 PM

i can't belive someone would ask this type of question. this is really going over board. ireland ought to be ashamed of himself.

SmootSmack 04-30-2010 03:04 PM

Maybe we jumped to conclusions here?

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/04/30/dez.bryant.jeff.ireland/index.html?eref=sihp]Jeff Ireland's prostitute question to Dez Bryant not worth outrage - Jim Trotter - SI.com[/url]

BigHairedAristocrat 04-30-2010 03:23 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697139]Maybe we jumped to conclusions here?

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/04/30/dez.bryant.jeff.ireland/index.html?eref=sihp]Jeff Ireland's prostitute question to Dez Bryant not worth outrage - Jim Trotter - SI.com[/url][/quote]

I'll see your SI.com and raise you two florios and a vince shlomi video remix.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/source-close-to-bryant-says-dolphins-leak-is-bullsh-t/]Source close to Bryant says Dolphins' leak is "bullsh-t" | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/ed-werder-dez-bryant-denies-telling-dolphins-his-dad-was-a-pimp/]Ed Werder: Dez Bryant denies telling Dolphins his dad was a pimp | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

[url=http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2009/04/29]Slap Chop Remix is Today's BIG Thing - APR 29, 2009[/url]

The only way you can top that is with a Sasha Harris [URL="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0327092sham1.html"]tongue chomp[/URL] or perhaps an ade jimoh special.

mlmdub130 04-30-2010 03:34 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697139]Maybe we jumped to conclusions here?

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/04/30/dez.bryant.jeff.ireland/index.html?eref=sihp]Jeff Ireland's prostitute question to Dez Bryant not worth outrage - Jim Trotter - SI.com[/url][/quote]

heard them talking about it on the radio today, it sounds like no the was no reason to apologize if you ask me it really was the logical next question

[quote]"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

[/quote]

SmootSmack 04-30-2010 03:34 PM

The Slap Chop remix (posted on this board before, by the way) remains one of my fave all-time videos.

SmootSmack 04-30-2010 03:34 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;697155]heard them talking about it on the radio today, it sounds like no the was no reason to apologize if you ask me it really was the logical next question[/quote]

If that's what happened, which I think we'll never really know.

mlmdub130 04-30-2010 03:40 PM

^yea i just feel this story makes a bit more sense i just can't see him just flat out asking is your mother a prostitue, i'm surprised they don't keep recordings of these interviews. seems like something the gm and owner would review

BigHairedAristocrat 04-30-2010 04:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697156]The Slap Chop remix (posted on this board before, by the way) remains one of my fave all-time videos.[/quote]

ah, i just discoverred it the other day. pure amazingness. the "slap chop nuts" video is 10 times funnier but only about a minute long. if i could have found that one (don't have youtube at work), i would have posted that instead.

BigHairedAristocrat 04-30-2010 04:30 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697157]If that's what happened, which I think we'll never really know.[/quote]

in my opinion, there was no need for an apology. these guys are asking for teams to make an enormous financial investment in them - they should be able to ask whatever questions they want to evaluate the guys mental and emotional makeup. if the players don't want to have to answer those types of questions, they can get a regular job like the rest of us.

Warren85Ellard 04-30-2010 05:27 PM

Yeah, I would assume the same thing that Ireland did. Someone who works for a pimp :pimp: is usually a prostitute. I can't think of a more logical assumption. It's maybe more logical than assuming that when someone says they work in landscaping, they work outside...or when someone says that they're a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, they're an a**hole :).

SmootSmack 04-30-2010 05:32 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;697192]in my opinion, there was no need for an apology. these guys are asking for teams to make an enormous financial investment in them - they should be able to ask whatever questions they want to evaluate the guys mental and emotional makeup. if the players don't want to have to answer those types of questions, they can get a regular job like the rest of us.[/quote]

So for that reason, it's ok not to treat them as human beings? Let's suppose the question was laid out as originally told (that no mention of his dad's profession was mentioned). You think it's perfectly ok to ask someone if their mother was a prostitute simply because the player is asking the NFL to make a financial investment in him?

But why don't we actually find out about his mother?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/sports/ncaafootball/25okstate.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1[/url]

CRedskinsRule 04-30-2010 05:41 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697208]So for that reason, it's ok not to treat them as human beings? Let's suppose the question was laid out as originally told (that no mention of his dad's profession was mentioned). You think it's perfectly ok to ask someone if their mother was a prostitute simply because the player is asking the NFL to make a financial investment in him?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/sports/ncaafootball/25okstate.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1[/url][/quote]

That was an impressive story. Definitely rivals Oher's and in someways out does it. He made it on his own, no saving grace swooping in. Shame he went to the Cowboys' cuz now I have to hate him! (ok dislike him really really really strongly)

BigHairedAristocrat 05-03-2010 11:12 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;697208]So for that reason, it's ok not to treat them as human beings? Let's suppose the question was laid out as originally told (that no mention of his dad's profession was mentioned). You think it's perfectly ok to ask someone if their mother was a prostitute simply because the player is asking the NFL to make a financial investment in him?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/sports/ncaafootball/25okstate.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1[/url][/quote]

how is asking a question not being treated like a human being? lets be realistic - in all likelyhood, Jeff Ireland had done enough research to already know the answer to the question. What he was interested in was how Bryant responded to the question - would he keep his cool or would he go off?

look at the trouble-makers in the NFL in recent years. The vast majority - if not all of them - come from broken families. whether its fair or not to profile players that way, its a harsh reality. In addition, Dez Bryant is universally regarded as a guy with serious character concerns and has the potential to kill a franchise. for that reason, it was reported that a number of teams had taken him off their draft boards alltogether.

Further, if team doesnt ask a guy a question like that in an interview, its garaunteed that a defender might say something similar to him in a game to get in his head. its prudent for a team to see how he responds to the question, as opposed to seeing if he goes ballistic and stomps on a cornerbacks head during a game.

it seems the vast majority of college athletes grow up relatively poor. They grow up watching rap videos on MTV that glorify the thug lifestyle. some are involved in gangs. alot are involved with drugs. Many have never held a real job before in thier life. How are they going to respond when they go from that lifestlye to being multi-millionaires overnight? or when they leave familiar surroundings for big-city life in NFL cities?

Given that context, i think not only is it justified, but its the smart thing to do to ask players whatever questions they want to ask to gauge a prospects potential mental and emotional makeup. in my opinion, teams would be smart to hire psychiatrists to either help them come of with questions, or be the ones asking the questions.

MTK 05-03-2010 11:15 AM

They show videos on MTV?

SmootSmack 05-03-2010 11:26 AM

“The world will not stop and think- it never does, it is not its way; its way is to generalize from a single sample”

“We are more prone to generalize the bad than the good. We assume that the bad is more potent and contagious.”

“I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care.”

BigHairedAristocrat 05-03-2010 12:00 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;697599]“The world will not stop and think- it never does, it is not its way; its way is to generalize from a single sample”

[B]“We are more prone to generalize the bad than the good. We assume that the bad is more potent and contagious.”[/B]

“I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care.”[/quote]

While that all sounds nice and dandy, the quote has more fluff than truth in it. Its not an assumption. Bad [I]is [/I]more contagious than good. Thousands of years of human history have proven it. Its why wars have been fought since the the beginning of recorded history and continue to be fought today. That doesn't really apply to the topic we're discussing, though.

When people or companies are trying to decide whether or not they want to enter into a contract with someone, whether its for a job, a mortgage, or a marriage, they evaluate the person and their background, and they do so against a context. its part of a process to evaluate risk. do the potential benefits outweigh the risk of personal or financial disaster?

SmootSmack 05-03-2010 12:04 PM

We're not ever going to agree on this, so no need to continue to waste everyone else's time

MTK 05-03-2010 12:10 PM

Even before a team sits down with a player they have a book worth of info on the guy. I just don't see where this line of questioning is necessary or beneficial to either side.

BigHairedAristocrat 05-03-2010 12:19 PM

[quote=Mattyk;697638]Even before a team sits down with a player they have a book worth of info on the guy. I just don't see where this line of questioning is necessary or beneficial to either side.[/quote]

as i said in my post, ireland probably knew the answer to the question itself before asking it - what he was interested in was how bryant responded to the question. it was a psychological test, one not much different than those asked by every other team. except that a lot of people feel that mothers should be off-limits.

dblanch66 05-03-2010 12:54 PM

This all distracts away from the fact that he (Bryant) is kind of a douche. And even more relevant is the fact that he plays for Scarecrow and Dallas. I hope he fails. Dallas sucks.