Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/36809-philip-merling-dolphins-arrested-battery-against.html)

ethat001 05-28-2010 09:59 PM

Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman

I remember people were talking about drafting this guy in 2008 -- I'm glad we passed on him!

[QUOTE]
[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5230231]Phillip Merling of Miami Dolphins on field after assault arrest - ESPN[/url]

DAVIE, Fla. -- Defensive end Phillip Merling was in practice with the Miami Dolphins on Friday, less than 24 hours being freed from jail following a charge of aggravated battery against a pregnant woman.

Merling did not speak with reporters.

He's the fourth Dolphins player to be arrested this offseason, something coach Tony Sparano called "frustrating." Sparano also said the NFL is investigating the incident.

Merling was arrested in Weston, Fla. on Wednesday, then released from Broward County Jail on $15,000 bond and with orders that he stay away from the woman, who is his girlfriend.

Court records show the woman is 2 months pregnant with the couple's second child.
[/QUOTE]

warpaint 05-28-2010 10:09 PM

Re: Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman

This is up there with Big Ben. I hate people that put hands on women. He should be suspended without question.

tryfuhl 05-28-2010 10:19 PM

oh wow.. saw the arrest headline yesterday but didn't say pregnant woman so didn't bother reading

Dirtbag59 05-29-2010 04:30 AM

As much as I love Allen and Shannahan the fact remains that character concerns aren't high on their priority list. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run on him after he gets released. T.O. is the only problem child that Allen and Shanahan have even really considered staying away from.

tryfuhl 05-29-2010 07:41 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;704007]As much as I love Allen and Shannahan the fact remains that character concerns aren't high on their priority list. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run on him after he gets released. T.O. is the only problem child that Allen and Shanahan have even really considered staying away from.[/quote]
I wouldn't go that far

SmootSmack 05-29-2010 09:52 AM

Didn't realize it was a pregnant woman either, I actually thought he had gotten into an altercation at a club.

But again, is it proven he did this? If so, completely inexcusable. If he didn't...

And not to devert this to a TO thread. But TO isn't a "problem child" in this alleged way. TO doesn't get in trouble with the law

Longtimefan 05-29-2010 10:56 AM

Wasn't there talk about him being on the skins radar, just before he was drafted?

Guys continue making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

GMScud 05-29-2010 11:03 AM

Another quality individual from the U.

SmootSmack 05-29-2010 11:18 AM

[quote=GMScud;704016]Another quality individual from the U.[/quote]

Think you've got him confused with someone else, unless you're thinking Clemson U.

SmootSmack 06-01-2010 01:26 PM

Damn shame

[url=http://cbs4.com/local/miami.dolphins.phillip.2.1722020.html]Sheriff Questions Dolphin's Release From Jail - cbs4.com[/url]

mredskins 06-01-2010 01:32 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704012]Didn't realize it was a pregnant woman either, I actually thought he had gotten into an altercation at a club.

But again, is it proven he did this? If so, completely inexcusable. If he didn't...

[B]And not to devert this to a TO thread. But TO isn't a "problem child" in this alleged way. TO doesn't get in trouble with the law[/B][/quote]

Seriously people love to group TO in with criminals, he may be a pain the locker room but as far as I know he is far from being a wife beater or a crook of any kind.

tryfuhl 06-01-2010 01:53 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704210]Damn shame

[url=http://cbs4.com/local/miami.dolphins.phillip.2.1722020.html]Sheriff Questions Dolphin's Release From Jail - cbs4.com[/url][/quote]

wtg cops

SBXVII 06-01-2010 01:56 PM

[quote=mredskins;704211]Seriously people love to group TO in with criminals, he may be a pain the locker room but as far as I know he is far from being a wife beater or a crook of any kind.[/quote]

I think a lot is peoples personal feelings about certain crimes. I'd take a Vick over Merling any day but others wouldn't. Heck I'd take T.O. over this joker.

To me it boils down to the team needs, and the talent level of the problem player. If it was Galloway or Wade with T.O.'s issues I'd say no way cause their talent wouldn't out weight the price in the locker room. Some people have that mind set with T.O. even though his production last yr was still better then any of our WR's, and he played in a crappy offense also.

I'm beginning to see the NFL like the WWF (or whatever it is now)... fans have players they just don't like. Doesn't matter the talent, they just don't like them and don't want them on their team. They might take a 100 Merlings but with out a doubt don't take 1 T.O.

mredskins 06-01-2010 02:01 PM

[quote=SBXVII;704221]I think a lot is peoples personal feelings about certain crimes. I'd take a Vick over Merling any day but others wouldn't. Heck I'd take T.O. over this joker.

To me it boils down to the team needs, and the talent level of the problem player. If it was Galloway or Wade with T.O.'s issues I'd say no way cause their talent wouldn't out weight the price in the locker room. Some people have that mind set with T.O. even though his production last yr was still better then any of our WR's, and he played in a crappy offense also.

I'm beginning to see the NFL like the WWF (or whatever it is now)... fans have players they just don't like. Doesn't matter the talent, they just don't like them and don't want them on their team. They might take a 100 Merlings but with out a doubt don't take 1 T.O.[/quote]

I think you are missing the point it is not a question of liking him or not, the guy is not a criminal.