Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Lorenzo Alexander impressing again (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/36818-lorenzo-alexander-impressing-again.html)

SFREDSKIN 05-29-2010 05:33 PM

Lorenzo Alexander impressing again

I have to say, this guy is my favorite current Redskin player. Correction, I love this guy!!

[B]Lorenzo Alexander is at it again.[/B]

Alexander impressed the previous two coaching staffs with his versatility on offense, defense and special teams, and Coach Mike Shanahan's crew is raving about the former lineman's work at linebacker. Alexander is making a smooth transition from a three-technique interior lineman, the position he primarily played in his first three seasons with the Redskins, to an outside linebacker in Washington's new 3-4 base front, coaches say.

Alexander also has played defensive end, as well as tight end and guard on offense, in addition to his contributions on special teams. But it seems he could be an integral part of the linebacker rotation this season. Through the first two minicamps and two sessions of organized team activities, Alexander has excelled in every facet of his new role.

"He's been awesome. The guy's awesome. The guy's unbelievable," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said Wednesday at Redskins Park. "He's a better athlete than I would have ever guessed. If you'd told me last year he played three technique, I would have never guessed it.
"If you said he played linebacker, I would have said he played linebacker. He's 275 pounds. He's ideal size for the position. He's got good rush ability. He's unbelievably smart. He's tough as nails. I love the guy."

Alexander's ability to grasp things quickly has helped him earn an important role despite the fact that he was not drafted out of the University of California. "The transition he's made has probably taken us by surprise more than anything," Haslett said.

"He can play any position he really wants," he said.

rbanerjee23 05-29-2010 08:52 PM

Re: Lorenzo Alexander impressing again

Awesome...the kind of news I want to hear out of camp, not stories about HGH and impregnating strippers

Dirtbag59 05-29-2010 09:42 PM

Hopefully he can be our Shaun Phillips

elamin24 05-29-2010 09:46 PM

always loved that dudee. Wasnt he scarface????

SirClintonPortis 05-29-2010 10:15 PM

Ultimate one-man toolbox.

GMScud 05-30-2010 12:05 AM

[quote=SirClintonPortis;704063]Ultimate one-man toolbox.[/quote]

No doubt. This is great news. Always liked Lorenzo. Blue collar bring your lunch pail kinda guy. Shit, while we're at it we might as well give him goal line carries as a RB. He's who Coach Gibbs would call a "true Redskin."

tryfuhl 05-30-2010 12:18 AM

wasn't this the same quotes? either way, good looking

hopefully he can specialize where they put him

Scud, I hear you, but how about rolling him out as a TE? fake block.. goal line

SirClintonPortis 05-30-2010 02:00 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;704071]wasn't this the same quotes? either way, good looking

hopefully he can specialize where they put him

Scud, I hear you, but how about rolling him out as a TE? fake block.. goal line[/quote]

I remember he was targeted by JC once. Play didn't work out though and he looked a tad clumsy(well, duh). I think Cooley was the first read on that play though.

SmootSmack 05-30-2010 08:54 AM

He's really been a pleasant surprise. I thought he'd struggle to adjust. Of course, he hasn't had to face game-time competition yet.

I'm curious to know who was it that suggested he should play LB.

Longtimefan 05-30-2010 03:24 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704076]He's really been a pleasant surprise. I thought he'd struggle to adjust. Of course, he hasn't had to face game-time competition yet.

I'm curious to know who was it that suggested he should play LB.[/quote]

He played very well on s/t, his athleticism and ability to make plays in space made him a logical candidate to experiment with. Maybe he's not looked at as a l/b save for the switch to 3-4

GusFrerotte 05-30-2010 05:33 PM

Damn, sounds like he is a keeper, even if it is to fulfill the role of emergency man if we get totally banged up at some point in the season.

GTripp0012 05-31-2010 03:00 AM

Always the player who stands out on game tape on a unit that doesn't always sport the most athletic guys. I don't know if he'll ever have the chance to settle in at just one position, but who really does these days?

I think he could play 40-60 at ROLB w/Carter. I think he has 8.0-9.0 sack potential with regular playing time.

skinsfan69 05-31-2010 02:59 PM

All this mini camp OTA stuff sounds great but it really doesn't matter til the pads come on. But Alexander is the type of guy you need on your team. I remember Gibbs loved the guy and it's no surprise that he has stuck around this long.