Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Abby Sunderland Feared Lost AT Sea (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/36959-abby-sunderland-feared-lost-at-sea.html)

firstdown 06-10-2010 03:00 PM

Abby Sunderland Feared Lost AT Sea

LOS ANGELES Rescuers searched Thursday for a 16-year-old Southern California girl who was attempting a solo sail around the world.

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/10/abby-sunderland-lost-16-y_n_607691.html]Abby Sunderland Feared Lost At Sea[/url]

I have been following this 16 yr old girl trying to sail around the world solo. She ran into some bad weather and now here Epirb (E mergency P osition I ndicating R adio B eacon) has gone off and they have lost
communications with her. She had two Epirbs and they both went off and one would have been attached to her life raft which may indicate that the boat has flipped or sank.

Her jorney was controversal because alot of people said she was too young for her parents to allow her to attempt sailing around the world. I hope they find her safe but its not looking too good.

dmek25 06-10-2010 03:28 PM

Re: Abby Sunderland Feared Lost AT Sea

why would you let your kid do this?

mredskins 06-10-2010 03:59 PM

I thought she already completed her trip? I guess not.

I guess I was thinking of this girl:

[I]On May 15, Australian 16-year-old Jessica Watson claimed the record after completing a 23,000-mile circumnavigation in 210 days.[/I]

firstdown 06-10-2010 04:27 PM

Abby set sail at the time she did because she wanted to beat Jessica Watson for the youngest to sail around the world. The problem was it put here where she is at a bad time when the winter storms are kicking and people warned them of this. They still set sail and now she is in the trouble many people worried about.

GhettoDogAllStars 06-10-2010 04:44 PM

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
--Theodore Roosevelt

firstdown 06-10-2010 04:58 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;705791]Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
--Theodore Roosevelt[/quote]

I agree with that but at what age is that OK for the parents to let the child do such a thing. She could not even break the record because early in her trip she had problems with her boat and needed assistance loosing her chance to break the record.

mlmdub130 06-10-2010 05:17 PM

awful story and i hope she is ok

side note i have to ask if fd gave in to the naysayers and started using spell check, or if you are just on a hot streak

SmootSmack 06-10-2010 05:22 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;705802]awful story and i hope she is ok

side note i have to ask if fd gave in to the naysayers and started using spell check, or if you are just on a hot streak[/quote]

hot streak like "jorney" and "controversal"?

Hope they find her safe and sound

mlmdub130 06-10-2010 05:24 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;705804]hot streak like "jorney" and "controversal"?

Hope they find her safe and sound[/quote]

dam u n ur gramer

Trample the Elderly 06-10-2010 05:46 PM

Look on the bright side! Her parents can now enter her into this year's Darwin awards.

Gmanc711 06-10-2010 06:21 PM

I hope they find her safe.... but seriously? Who the hell would let their kid do this? Who would even do it themselves?

Schneed10 06-10-2010 06:48 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;705791]Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

I'd rather be a failure and living than brave and dead.

- Intelligent Life Form

DynamiteRave 06-10-2010 06:59 PM

Gonna have to agree with Schneed here. If failing means possibly risking my life then F that.

InsaneBoost 06-10-2010 07:04 PM

Really don't understand why you would let a 16 year old do this, just doesn't seem smart at all.

SmootSmack 06-10-2010 09:26 PM

I think the fact that her brother sailed solo around the world at age 17 is probably what helped convince her parents that this would be fine.