Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Debating with the enemy (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Cop Punches Student (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37044)

CRedskinsRule 06-17-2010 03:04 PM

Re: Cop Punches Student

I have to say I am surprised by the overall support for the cop. When I was an MP if that situation had arisen, you get control, but also you get backup. Some comments imply backup may have been on the way, but during the video he never used his radio mike right by his shoulder. At one point he nearly pulled the one girls shirt off, and he was in the middle of what could have become a mob. As Saden said, you back off, give firm commands, with the taser at the ready, and work to diffuse the situation, not go whaling about. My guess is he didn't initially call for backup because he felt in control, and once it got mixed up he let his emotions control his actions. I can not in my mind justify his punch in any way. Once pushed and cleared he should have straightened up and gotten the taser ready. Also, this was NOT a barroom situation where everyone was kinda roudy and outta control, where punches might get thrown, this was a teenage girl jaywalking.

From the bit I've seen, I just can't accept that his punch was appropriate.

GMScud 06-17-2010 03:25 PM

What a fail by that cop. Punches one woman in the face, then after more than two minutes when the video ends he still has yet to restrain that woman who's significatly smaller than him. Wus.

SBXVII 06-17-2010 05:48 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;707118]I think the punch was a bit too much and I think if anything he should maybe receive some sort of reprimand in his file or some sort of minor fine, but you don't get in the way of an officer trying to do his job. Period.

I mean the second chick (the one in the pink shirt who pushed the officer away) to me is just flat out stupid. No friend is worth me getting either 1) arrested or 2) getting my lights punched out over. Eff that, sorry girlfriend, you get arrested and you're on your own.[/quote]

Interesting take. The problem with society is no one wants to respect or trust cops. I'll be the first to tell you there are bad cops. No different then in any other job. There is always one bad apple and unfortunately all the rest get the bad apple routine.

I'll say it again, we don't know why the officer was even there dealing with the juvenile. Maybe she had been fighting another girl and when the cop showed up she resisted arrest. Then the friend got involved. I can tell you this when an officer is dealing with an issue .... never put your hands on them. By court room standards .... it's assault on law enforcement. Even if it's just a push.

mlmpetert 06-17-2010 06:08 PM

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]This was flat out wrong and absolutely excessive. I used to be a huge Cops fan (the show) in my younger days. If you watch a rerun of the show back when the program began and compare it the most recent Saturday at 8pm version the attitudes and force employed by police have immensely changed. And its pretty disturbing. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Its had to completely blame the officers because it has to be the way they are trained. The tactics and styles have become much more aggressive. Im hoping that cameras in the hands of the people will start to change things and reduce the agressive styles taught in training. [/FONT][/COLOR]

SBXVII 06-17-2010 06:35 PM

Here is what I learned of the case. ...

The cop had stopped a man for jaywalking. Yes it's petty but while dealing with the man the 1st girl started running her mouth and became angry. At this point she is already obstructing justice because the officer is trying to deal with the jaywalker not her. When he tries to detain her or take her into custody the 2nd female steps up and tries to push the officer off her friend.

I'll be honest with you they both are lucky they weren't pepper sprayed or tazered. The punch was not a big deal considering officers are taught stunning techniques like stepping on toes, raking the shin, chop to the neck. In a nut shell officers are being taught Jujitsu. The officer could have done a lot worse and didn't. Maybe pepper spray might have been more appropriate but did he have time to use it before the other girl walked into the fight? He could have broken the contact and pulled his tazer and been in his legal right to have tazered both. Now what would have been worse the punch or the other two?

[url=http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=52937]Police Guild Defends Seattle Officer's Actions: Top News Stories at Officer.com[/url]

SBXVII 06-17-2010 06:51 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;707178][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]This was flat out wrong and absolutely excessive. I used to be a huge Cops fan (the show) in my younger days. If you watch a rerun of the show back when the program began and compare it the most recent Saturday at 8pm version the attitudes and force employed by police have immensely changed. And its pretty disturbing. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Its had to completely blame the officers because it has to be the way they are trained. The tactics and styles have become much more aggressive. Im hoping that cameras in the hands of the people will start to change things and reduce the agressive styles taught in training. [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

Let me just say as society gets more violent and especially with police, the police have to be taught ways to deal with and control the violence. As someone else said... I never would have even thought of putting my hands on a cop growing up. God forbid you even had any type of contact. Let the officer bring me home and I would have gotten whooped for the officer having to deal with me.

Everyone has this nice pretty bubble they live in where people are all not breaking the law and going about their business. In reality as you see 95% of all the good in people, the cops are only seeing 95% of the bad in people. Imagine everyday and having to be on guard with everyone you come in contact with. Expecting them to hurt you in some manner. Something simple as the cop talking to the jaywalker and possibly giving him a warning or a summons turned into a lady arguing with the cop an getting arrested and a 17 y/o putting her hands on the cop who is trying to do his job then punches her.

Maybe society should be asking why can't cops be allowed to do their jobs with out arguing or fighting the officer?

It could have been totally different. The officer talks with the man and everyone walks away. Instead the women starts arguing which is obstructing the officers duty with the man and then proceeds to possibly incite a riot, but definitely she was acting in a disorderly manner.

The Goat 06-17-2010 08:27 PM

[quote=GMScud;707140]What a fail by that cop. Punches one woman in the face, then after more than two minutes when the video ends he still has yet to restrain that woman who's significatly smaller than him. Wus.[/quote]

To me this is the bottom line. The cop is a pussy and a moron...double threat guy! He can't handle himself (physically, mentally or emotionally) and completely lost control of a situation that really shouldn't have gone anywhere. Forget about the guidelines, laws and regulations. If the precinct wants to have a cheese-ball like that on the force you can't have respect for the local law enforcement.

I find the broad-based support of the dude's actions disturbing and sad.

CRedskinsRule 06-17-2010 08:57 PM

[quote=The Goat;707199]To me this is the bottom line. The cop is a pussy and a moron...double threat guy! He can't handle himself (physically, mentally or emotionally) and completely lost control of a situation that really shouldn't have gone anywhere. Forget about the guidelines, laws and regulations. If the precinct wants to have a cheese-ball like that on the force you can't have respect for the local law enforcement.

I find the broad-based support of the dude's actions disturbing and sad.[/quote]
I agree with everything you just wrote.

Nomad 06-17-2010 10:46 PM

I'm a black man, and the cop was clearly right for punching her, she should of let him do his job, and then, if they thought it was some case (racist) then they could have taking legal actions later....... this no different than when that white cop punched that black teenage girl for biting him..... in this case, the cop could have pulled out his tazor and started tazing they ass........ but hey everyone go have a opinion thats mine.

tryfuhl 06-17-2010 11:17 PM

Had a great FB debate on this. I have no problem with what happened.

There is a longer/full vid from this and it shows more of what happened before the punch. I'm not sure he needed to do it but honestly he needed to create separation and it worked. In the long term that's less painful than mace or a taser. By taking her to the ground to restrain her he'd have left his weapons exposed and there were plenty of people around. He could've also been more prone to external attack.

That girl just didn't want to behave. You guys know that I'll say F Cops just about as quickly as anybody on here but he's fine here. Had that been a guy he would've gotten the baton justifiably.

The Goat 06-18-2010 12:07 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;707217]Had a great FB debate on this. I have no problem with what happened.

There is a longer/full vid from this and it shows more of what happened before the punch. I'm not sure he needed to do it but honestly he needed to create separation and it worked. In the long term that's less painful than mace or a taser. By taking her to the ground to restrain her he'd have left his weapons exposed and there were plenty of people around. He could've also been more prone to external attack.

That girl just didn't want to behave. You guys know that I'll say F Cops just about as quickly as anybody on here but he's fine here. [B]Had that been a guy he would've gotten the baton justifiably.[/B][/quote]

LOL had it been a guy the cop would've been whooped before he could say peep...

firstdown 06-18-2010 09:37 AM

[quote=The Goat;707199]To me this is the bottom line. The cop is a pussy and a moron...double threat guy! He can't handle himself (physically, mentally or emotionally) and completely lost control of a situation that really shouldn't have gone anywhere. Forget about the guidelines, laws and regulations. If the precinct wants to have a cheese-ball like that on the force you can't have respect for the local law enforcement.

I find the broad-based support of the dude's actions disturbing and sad.[/quote]

Why because he was attacked while doing his job and was defending himself? It seems like your making the excuse for the girl and what she did and thats why kids think they can get away with this shit.

KLHJ2 06-18-2010 09:52 AM

Your sympathy for those who would obstruct justice is disturbing and sad.

SolidSnake84 06-18-2010 10:14 AM

If i'm not mistaken isn't it a felony to even try and keep a cop from arresting somebody or otherwise doing his duty??

SmootSmack 06-18-2010 10:25 AM

They're probably could have been a better way for the cop to handle the situation than to throw a punch. But the thread title, to me at least, is a bit misleading. Cop Punches Student sounds like this girl was just minding her own business, sitting in the university library, studying for an exam when suddenly a cop rolls up and pounds her with an uppercut...which clearly wasn't the case