Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Bravo, Coach Gibbs (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/37137-bravo-coach-gibbs.html)

Schneed10 06-24-2010 01:17 PM

Bravo, Coach Gibbs

After hearing all the great stories of the Redskins Alumni returning to Ashburn last week, it was equally moving to hear Joe Gibbs was back at Redskins Park. It's for a reason you'd never guess though. Not for coaching, or consulting, or calling back-to-back timeouts, but to launch a new education program that is LONG OVERDUE in the NFL - educating NFL athletes the basics on investing, terminology, and common pitfalls. He explained his new venture on 106.7 THE FAN's Mike Wise show yesterday.

[url=http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/6/24/1533641/joe-gibbs-gives-wealth-of]Joe Gibbs Gives Wealth of Knowledge to Current Redskins Players - Hogs Haven[/url]

This is something that's needed throughout our nation's high schools as well.

Mattyk 06-24-2010 01:20 PM

Re: Bravo, Coach Gibbs

Yep, agreed. Education like this needs to be taught from a young age.

rbanerjee23 06-24-2010 01:22 PM

Dude...anything and everything Gibbs does is boss

SmootSmack 06-24-2010 01:33 PM

This is great. The NFL is doing some things to help in this matter. They have a partnership I believe with Wharton for people to take business classes (although admittedly that's more for the entrepreneurial players).

Also, one of James Thrash's primary roles with the organization is to help players handle their money.

Still, having a formal investing education is a sharp idea.

saden1 06-24-2010 01:52 PM

Kudos to Gibbs, I have long wanted to see someone do this sort of thing...these players really need education on personal finance/investment and I am so happy to see Gibbs is leading the charge.

Redskin Warrior 06-24-2010 01:55 PM

Is this league wide yet or just for our team?

CRedskinsRule 06-24-2010 02:05 PM

[SIZE="1"]is he talking to haynesworth?[/SIZE]

GMScud 06-24-2010 02:06 PM

Great stuff. This is especially important now considering the strong possibility of a work stoppage next season. I've heard NFLPA reps on their respective teams have been telling players to save save save.

RedskinsfaninBaltimore 06-24-2010 02:21 PM

Gibbs is a stand up, classy guy,

Daseal 06-24-2010 05:02 PM

Am I incorrect in my thinking that financial advice has always been readily available to players through the NFL? I thought that they kept people in the league office to go over investments with the players and they also take some time in the rookie symposium to talk about and offer advice.

Still, these guys can never get enough prodding to invest their money wisely.

GridIron26 06-24-2010 05:08 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;708726]This is great. The NFL is doing some things to help in this matter. They have a partnership I believe with Wharton for people to take business classes (although admittedly that's more for the entrepreneurial players).

Also, one of James Thrash's primary roles with the organization is to help players handle their money.

Still, having a formal investing education is a sharp idea.[/quote]

I was wondering to see if Thrash is still with Redskins organization, and I'm glad to hear that he still is..

InsaneBoost 06-24-2010 05:08 PM

Very good to hear, it's crazy how these players go out and buy million dollar homes in multiple places, when they never even go to them, let alone the ones with like five floors and the player is single.

They need to learn to save it for when they are out of the NFL. I don't mind them having a nice home or car, but in the end, you still have to pay money on them.

Good to see Gibbs doing this.

Longtimefan 06-24-2010 05:36 PM

Something very much needed, with no better person than Joe Gibbs involved in seeing it through.

firstdown 06-24-2010 05:39 PM

I wonder if he will teach them that its not wise to invest in every one of their cousin's business adventures.

skinsfan_nn 06-24-2010 05:55 PM

As usual, well done Coach Gibbs! First class and then some.