Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Terrafugia’s ‘flying car’ gets fed OK (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/37202-terrafugia-s-flying-car-gets-fed.html)

Mattyk 07-01-2010 08:49 AM

Terrafugia’s ‘flying car’ gets fed OK

[url=http://www.bostonherald.com/business/automotive/view.bg?articleid=1265050&srvc=rss]Terrafugia’s ‘flying car’ gets fed OK - BostonHerald.com[/url]

Ready to be your own pilot?

KLHJ2 07-01-2010 09:16 AM

Re: Terrafugia’s ‘flying car’ gets fed OK

Some people can't even afford 200,000 for a home. I would love to have one, but not for that price.

If I had one I would love to see Schneed try and box me in then. JK.

My wife works at the FAA and I wonder what type of infastructor or "Air corridors" and altitudes would be dedicated to these vehicles in flight.

Schneed10 07-01-2010 09:50 AM

[quote=Angry;710088]Some people can't even afford 200,000 for a home. I would love to have one, but not for that price.

My wife works at the FAA and I wonder what type of infastructor or "Air corridors" and altitudes would be dedicated to these vehicles in flight.[/quote]

I'd find a way to take care of speeders...

[IMG]http://ttglibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/airwolf01.jpg[/IMG]

Mattyk 07-01-2010 10:47 AM

With all the wackos on the roads, not sure I want to take to the air with them too. I know, we're a long way off from this being a normal mode of transport but still, the thought of this kinda scares me.

Monkeydad 07-01-2010 12:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk;710113]With all the wackos on the roads, not sure I want to take to the air with them too. I know, we're a long way off from this being a normal mode of transport but still, the thought of this kinda scares me.[/quote]

Yeah, female "flyers" will be landing on the roofs of our homes instead of crashing into them. :frusty:

tryfuhl 07-01-2010 01:02 PM

[IMG]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01668/terrafugia1_1668799c.jpg[/IMG]

GhettoDogAllStars 07-01-2010 01:55 PM

Rappers everywhere rejoice!

JoeRedskin 07-01-2010 03:27 PM

[quote=Angry;710088]Some people can't even afford 200,000 for a home. I would love to have one, but not for that price.

My wife works at the FAA and I wonder what type of infastructor or "Air corridors" and altitudes would be dedicated to these vehicles in flight.[/quote]

Well, you need a sport pilot's license to fly one and they have to take off from airfields so I would imagine it would be classifed as a sport plane and be susceptable to the same regulations as that class.

I wonder, do they have standard flight equipment on the dash? Radio, altimeter, etc.?

It still has to fly airfield to airfield and I would imagine filing a flight plan would be necessary. Not like you could just drive down the street, put the wings down and take off behind your house.

Basically, a slow, short range plane that you don't have to leave at the airfield.

Trample the Elderly 07-01-2010 03:48 PM

Does it run on wind or solar power?

Monksdown 07-01-2010 04:22 PM

[quote=Schneed10;710092]I'd find a way to take care of speeders...

[IMG]http://ttglibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/airwolf01.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Wait, is this an AirWolf reference? haha, good one.

CRedskinsRule 07-01-2010 04:29 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;710214]Well, you need a sport pilot's license to fly one and they have to take off from airfields so I would imagine it would be classifed as a sport plane and be susceptable to the same regulations as that class.

I wonder, do they have standard flight equipment on the dash? Radio, altimeter, etc.?

It still has to fly airfield to airfield and I would imagine filing a flight plan would be necessary. Not like you could just drive down the street, put the wings down and take off behind your house.

Basically, a slow, short range plane that you don't have to leave at the airfield.[/quote]

For the true flying enthusiast, this would be an amazing thing. Basically rather than paying hanger costs/storage costs etc. They could drive from home to their favorite airport, lower the wings, and then fly whereever.

Also they did get some lee way from the FAA on their regulations:
[quote]The Federal Aviation Administration granted the Woburn company an exemption from rules that will allow a maximum takeoff weight of 1,430 pounds for its Transition Roadable Aircraft - 110 pounds above the limit for the FAA’s light sport aircraft category.[/quote]

Finally, I think the FAA is moving to more localized radars on the planes instead of ground based, and so a time could come where flight plans could be marginal. Besides everyone who has one of these will probably have an iPhone, and so there definitely would be an App for that!:)

Monksdown 07-01-2010 04:35 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;710237]For the true flying enthusiast, this would be an amazing thing. Basically rather than paying hanger costs/storage costs etc. They could drive from home to their favorite airport, lower the wings, and then fly whereever.

Also they did get some lee way from the FAA on their regulations:

Finally, I think the FAA is moving to more localized radars on the planes instead of ground based, and so a time could come where flight plans could be marginal. Besides everyone who has one of these will probably have an iPhone, and so there definitely would be an App for that!:)[/quote]

That's the FAA. Will the various Department of Motor Vehicles let it on the roads?

CRedskinsRule 07-01-2010 04:39 PM

[quote=Monksdown;710242]That's the FAA. Will the various Department of Motor Vehicles let it on the roads?[/quote]

Well the reason it was overweight was to include the airbags and other safety devices required by state and federal law for a vehicle on a standard road. I don't see why it wouldn't as long as it meets the requirements.

Monksdown 07-01-2010 04:51 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;710245]Well the reason it was overweight was to include the airbags and other safety devices required by state and federal law for a vehicle on a standard road. I don't see why it wouldn't as long as it meets the requirements.[/quote]

I'm sure they've done their due diligence. I would hate to be in a car next to it when i burst of wind or worse, another car crashing into it, turned one of those upturned wings over on me. It looks like it sits too close to the ground too.

Player_HTTR 07-01-2010 05:05 PM

Cops/MLB Rain Delays will rock if all of a sudden the guy in the get away car just takes flight.

Those spike strips can't slow me down coppers!