Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Bruce Allen's Over the Hill Gang (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/37229-bruce-allens-over-the-hill-gang.html)

Dirtbag59 07-05-2010 03:23 PM

Bruce Allen's Over the Hill Gang

[url=http://www.csnwashington.com/07/04/10/The-Redskins-Are-Still-Over-the-Hill/landing_v3.html?blockID=265844&feedID=6458]The Redskins Are Still Over the Hill[/url]

[QUOTE]The players on the Redskins’ 53-man roster entering the 2009 season averaged 28.02 years of age. That was about 10 days older than the average member of the second-oldest team in the league, the New Orleans Saints. This demonstrates that age isn’t necessarily a barrier to success, something we’ll look into later in this article.

Although Allen and Shanahan paid lip service to getting younger, the reality is that the Redskins are likely to remain among the league’s oldest teams. Going by the projected 2010 53-man roster prepared by CSNwashington’s Ryan O’Halloran, the Redskins will average 28.5 years of age when the season opener is played on Sept. 12, about six months older than last year’s edition.[/QUOTE]

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-05-2010 03:35 PM

Re: Bruce Allen's Over the Hill Gang

Good Read.

Leader In Sports 07-05-2010 03:42 PM

[size="7"][b]the future is now!!![/b][/size]:)

Hog1 07-05-2010 03:47 PM

Hopefully they can reproduce the success of the OTH gang of the past?

Longtimefan 07-05-2010 03:54 PM

This really shouldn't come as a surprise. His philosophy is not much different than that of his father. That was the first thing that came to my mind when he was hired as GM.

Lotus 07-05-2010 04:40 PM

If this proves to be true, this is not a reason for either surprise or worry. However, given that the age estimate is based on O'Halloran's questionable roster projection, things may not shake out this way.

dmek25 07-05-2010 04:45 PM

it worked once before, so......

DCtoAZ 07-05-2010 04:53 PM

Let's hope for a OTH 2.0

skinster 07-05-2010 04:56 PM

I know the averages disagree with me, but I don't feel like we are not trying to get younger (with the exception of the McNabb deal). I feel like most of the older players we have signed are just temporary patches to fill some holes we had (i.e all our running backs). We have not given any of the old guys long term deals, so I am not worried.

Dirtbag59 07-05-2010 05:11 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;710669]This really shouldn't come as a surprise. His philosophy is not much different than that of his father. That was the first thing that came to my mind when he was hired as GM.[/quote]

I think this is the first time Bruce Allen is really getting a chance to call the shots in terms of shaping the roster. I know that Shanahan has a big part in this and Allen isn't a traditional scout, but I feel like it's probably been pretty easy for Allen to sell Shanahan on making these trades for veterans for the sake of winning sooner rather then later. Plus it's not like they haven't gotten value for their trades.

Here's to hoping that the Redskins become the Celtics of the NFL.

Hog1 07-05-2010 05:55 PM

Well.....we are not mortgaging the future for today. We are employing stop gap measures until our draft can supplement more fully in the team building process. So far we have paid bargain basement prices, for quality players, molding what may prove to be a formidable lineup.....Great moves
And who would not like to win now and later if it can be done?

Dirtbag59 07-05-2010 06:20 PM

[quote=Hog1;710685]Well.....we are not mortgaging the future for today. We are employing stop gap measures until our draft can supplement more fully in the team building process. So far we have paid bargain basement prices, for quality players, molding what may prove to be a formidable lineup.....Great moves
And who would not like to win now and later if it can be done?[/quote]

In looking at the Chiefs stats from 2001-2005 I predict we have 4 or 5 years to reload in terms of talent. However I think people keep on forgetting that theres another side of the ball and our defensive guys aren't going to hold up forever.

Zerohero 07-05-2010 07:19 PM

[quote=Hog1;710667]Hopefully they can reproduce the success of the OTH gang of the past?[/quote]

I was thinking that, I'll take success from old guys any day.

Longtimefan 07-05-2010 08:35 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;710678]I think this is the first time Bruce Allen is really getting a chance to call the shots in terms of shaping the roster. I know that Shanahan has a big part in this and Allen isn't a traditional scout, but I feel like it's probably been pretty easy for Allen to sell Shanahan on making these trades for veterans for the sake of winning sooner rather then later. Plus it's not like they haven't gotten value for their trades.

Here's to hoping that the Redskins become the Celtics of the NFL.[/quote]

If there's a silver lining to the age of this roster in comparison to George Allen's "over the hill gang", it's that we do have youth at some positions where before, just about everybody on those teams were over thirty.

Granted, the youth has to produce, otherwise when our aging players play out in a couple of years we have nothing to replenish the roster. Without a doubt this team is being constructed to win now, just like our 70's teams, but that's what I expected with Bruce Allen and Shanahan being a former super bowl winning coach. It's easy to see how the inclination is to win, and to win now.

SmootSmack 07-05-2010 10:16 PM

[quote=Hog1;710685]Well.....we are not mortgaging the future for today. We are employing stop gap measures until our draft can supplement more fully in the team building process. So far we have paid bargain basement prices, for quality players, molding what may prove to be a formidable lineup.....Great moves
And who would not like to win now and later if it can be done?[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better myself