Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NBA Screwed?: James Leaning Towards Heat (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37247)

SmootSmack 07-08-2010 10:04 AM

Re: NBA Screwed?: James Leaning Towards Heat

[quote=Schneed10;711176]Re: the bolded portion, that's exactly my beef. It's not the structure of the NBA or the way the business model is set up that causes the problem, it's just a sport that revolves around star players. Coaches come second to star players. One star player makes a gigantic impact. In that way, it's much less of a team sport, and hence a lot less appealing to me.

As for James' image, Cleveland will never forgive him. The rest of the country won't care, and as soon as James wins that first title in Miami, he won't even care about Cleveland anymore. He'll feel the love and adulation from Miami fans, and that will help him move on from the bad breakup with Cleveland.

But I'm just turned off by the ego involved here. He's purposely keeping his lips sealed as to where he's going (or at least telling Broussard not to reveal the information and thus managing the message), so that he can go on TV for an all-about-me hour dedicated to revealing where he'll go. He's got a marketing team to push his "brand".

Can he do that? Hell yeah, it's his way of making a buttload of money, and I can't fault that but so much. But the ego of it is overwhelming.

I just prefer the NFL, where superstars make an impact, but still recognize that as great as they are, they aren't bigger than the team.[/quote]

I hear what you're saying. Good post

mredskins 07-08-2010 10:28 AM

[quote=Mattyk;711169]^^ Exactly. We're talking about star impact. Toss 2 great NBA players on a team and even with an average cast around them chances are they can still carry that team pretty far.

Toss 2 great NFL players on a team with an average cast, and they're going probably nowhere.[/quote]

Ok I see your guys point.

mredskins 07-08-2010 10:30 AM

[quote=Schneed10;711176]Re: the bolded portion, that's exactly my beef. It's not the structure of the NBA or the way the business model is set up that causes the problem, it's just a sport that revolves around star players. Coaches come second to star players. One star player makes a gigantic impact. In that way, it's much less of a team sport, and hence a lot less appealing to me.

As for James' image, Cleveland will never forgive him. The rest of the country won't care, and as soon as James wins that first title in Miami, he won't even care about Cleveland anymore. He'll feel the love and adulation from Miami fans, and that will help him move on from the bad breakup with Cleveland.

But I'm just turned off by the ego involved here. He's purposely keeping his lips sealed as to where he's going (or at least telling Broussard not to reveal the information and thus managing the message), so that he can go on TV for an all-about-me hour dedicated to revealing where he'll go. He's got a marketing team to push his "brand".

Can he do that? Hell yeah, it's his way of making a buttload of money, and I can't fault that but so much. But the ego of it is overwhelming.

I just prefer the NFL, where superstars make an impact, but still recognize that as great as they are, they aren't bigger than the team.[/quote]

I totally agree about the hour special. Please no one watch it, it is a stupid hype machine.

MTK 07-08-2010 10:32 AM

From a casual observer of the NBA, I'm buying into the hype. I'm interested to see where he goes and I think the excitement surrounding the start of the season will be huge. Will I tune in to this special tonight? Probably not, but I'll be checking ESPN.com frequently to see what his decision is.

CRedskinsRule 07-08-2010 10:35 AM

I am sure the twitterverse will blow up around 9:50 tonight.

SmootSmack 07-08-2010 10:47 AM

[quote=mredskins;711189]I totally agree about the hour special. Please no one watch it, it is a stupid hype machine.[/quote]

I've been working like crazy on this special for the last couple of days...please everyone watch it :)

hooskins 07-08-2010 10:47 AM

Agreed with Schneed. I have my opinions about the way the game is called too, which I hate.

Key example, were the Patriots that won a bunch of Super Bowls with sub-par and aging rosters

mredskins 07-08-2010 11:10 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;711201]I've been working like crazy on this special for the last couple of days...please everyone watch it :)[/quote]

Oh sorry, not that anyone was listening to me.

skinsfan69 07-08-2010 11:48 AM

can someone explain why this is getting so much pub? it's being broadcast on espn for a freakin hour??? are you kidding me? what a joke! you could not pay me to watch this garbage. espn ought to be ashamed of themselves for buying into the hype of this attention whore, ego maniac. kobe destroys this guy by miles. i'd rather watch the womens us open at oakmont, or watch the hard knocks re runs on NFL Network.

MTK 07-08-2010 11:54 AM

Speaking of Hard Knocks I can't wait til the new season. It's such a great show. I've been watching the re-runs too.

dmek25 07-08-2010 11:58 AM

SS its been said he will make his decision in the first 10 minutes of the show. what are you guys going to fill the rest of the time with? i love me some Lebron, but im getting to the point where enough is enough

hooskins 07-08-2010 12:02 PM

skinsfan69, there is a market though that is why it is on.

ESPN didn't get to where it is currently at by airing TV which was not highly rated, got attention, etc. Although you and I probably share that opinion, I think many don't. I think younger generation especially. Not ESPN's fault, rather what society is interested in.

MTK 07-08-2010 12:05 PM

It's big news, hell even the guys on NFL radio are talking about Lebron. I'm getting tired of it too but it will die down by the end of the week.

SmootSmack 07-08-2010 12:59 PM

[quote=dmek25;711231]SS its been said he will make his decision in the first 10 minutes of the show. what are you guys going to fill the rest of the time with? i love me some Lebron, but im getting to the point where enough is enough[/quote]

Analysis, live interview with LeBron. This will rate higher than any taped programming we would have had there.

mredskins 07-08-2010 01:13 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;711258]Analysis, live interview with LeBron. This will rate higher than any taped programming we would have had there.[/quote]

One trickle of entertainment I have found in all of this is how ESPN is hyping it and SI is bashing it.

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/07/08/lebron.free.agency/index.html?eref=sihp]LeBron James' TV spectacle fitting end to wild*free-agent process - Jack McCallum - SI.com[/url]