Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   what are your ocd tendencies? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37278)

MTK 07-13-2010 10:35 AM

Re: what are your ocd tendencies?

[quote=BDBohnzie;712085]Matty - I have one of these in the car: [URL="http://calcarduster.com/dashduster.asp"]California Car Duster Company - The Original California Dash Duster[/URL]. They are awesome, and the dirtier they are, the better they work.

I've got a few minor tendencies. Left sock and shoe on before my right. Keys always in left pocket, wallet and phone in right pocket. After my shower, it's q-tip to ears, comb hair, deodorant in that order. The cash in my wallet always has to be facing the same way, smallest bill on outside to largest bill in the middle.[/quote]

nice, I'll have to pick one of those up. The swiffers kinda suck after using them a few times.

Trample the Elderly 07-13-2010 10:59 AM

What is OCD?

KLHJ2 07-13-2010 11:00 AM

All of the above.

I cannot relax unless my entire domicile is perfect. My kids have a toy room in the basement and it has to be spotless all of the time. Needless to say it sucks to be one of my children and want to play with your toys. Their window of opportunity is small.

warpaint 07-13-2010 11:29 AM

Milk is mine. It has to be the last thing I pick out from the grocery store then I go straight to check out (seperate bag of course). Then its the first thing that gets put in the fridge. Now if someone leaves the milk out of the fridge longer than 2 minutes and it gets a little warm I will mark it with a pen and wont drink out of it or I will pour down the drain.

GhettoDogAllStars 07-13-2010 11:35 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;712062]I have none. Nada. Zilch.

Dirty dishes? eh, I'll get them tomorrow (probably). Bed unmade? no problem, I'll just mess it up later. Forgot to take a shower? Well, I'm not going out today anyway. Files disorderly? It's okay, I know which pile is which (basically).

Drives my wife insane. Me? I chose to live stress free. :)[/quote]

This is me, with one exception: spoons in the dishwasher must be oriented in a position so that they do not stack against each other, otherwise they will not get clean. I guess some people would call that OCD, but I just call it Logic.

Trample the Elderly 07-13-2010 11:39 AM

WTF?

Is this what y'all are talking about?

[url=http://www.bing.com/health/article/medlineplus-1000239918/ObsessiveCompulsive-Disorder?q=compulsive+personality+disorder]compulsive personality disorder - Bing Health[/url]

Is everyone crazy these days or is it just me?

MTK 07-13-2010 11:49 AM

We're not talking about full blown OCD here, more like the little annoying, anal retentive habits/routines we all have.

GhettoDogAllStars 07-13-2010 11:49 AM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;712114]WTF?

[url=http://www.bing.com/health/article/medlineplus-1000239918/ObsessiveCompulsive-Disorder?q=compulsive+personality+disorder]compulsive personality disorder - Bing Health[/url]

Is everyone crazy these days or is it just me?[/quote]

No, it's just you. You are the only crazy one. ;)

KLHJ2 07-13-2010 11:51 AM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;712114]WTF?

[URL="http://www.bing.com/health/article/medlineplus-1000239918/ObsessiveCompulsive-Disorder?q=compulsive+personality+disorder"]compulsive personality disorder - Bing Health[/URL]

Is everyone crazy these days or is it just me?[/quote]

Yes this is what we are talking about however, it is not fair to categorize our tendencies as OCD. I believe that it is a bit of an exaggeration. Fear and anxiety drive OCD. What we have are pet peeves. While I do feel a little anxiety and am unable to relax if things are out of place, I can let it slide given certain situations sometimes. A person with OCD can never let it slide for fear of something or some consequence whether it be real or imaginary.

Trample the Elderly 07-13-2010 12:07 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;712117]No, it's just you. You are the only crazy one. ;)[/quote]

Projection.

GMScud 07-13-2010 12:19 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;712034][B]lol your touch seems to be a firm grasp
[/B]
I guess that I'm a sucker for the sink as well.. if I see something in it I'll take care of it.. but it's nothing for me to have like 6 diff cups that I use for water on my nightstand either

I never lay out my clothes even when I know what exactly I'm going to wear.. with my organization I know where it is and don't want to lay it out anywhere

the obvious exception being if it's dress clothing in which I obviously leave out or treat beforehand

the written planner is something that I don't let go of either.. it may not be done meticulously or even on time but I make it accessible and my employees are accountable for what's in it

as far as a personal planner, don't have one[/quote]

Haha. Well, I'm not as bad as it seems. Really it comes down to two questions for me before I go to sleep: Is my home clean, and am I prepared for tomorrow?

If the answer to both isn't yes, I do stuff before I go to bed.

SmootSmack 07-13-2010 12:25 PM

[quote=Angry;712118]Yes this is what we are talking about however, it is not fair to categorize our tendencies as OCD. I believe that it is a bit of an exaggeration. Fear and anxiety drive OCD. What we have are pet peeves. While I do feel a little anxiety and am unable to relax if things are out of place, I can let it slide given certain situations sometimes. A person with OCD can never let it slide for fear of something or some consequence whether it be real or imaginary.[/quote]

I can't let my airplane tray and dresser drawers tendencies slide really. It's a real struggle for me. And when I'm listening to the radio in the car, I need the volume to be set at an even number. If my wife is adjusting the volume I'll either then adjust it to an even number or look away so I don't know if she set it to an odd number.

KLHJ2 07-13-2010 12:35 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;712135]I can't let my airplane tray and dresser drawers tendencies slide really. It's a real struggle for me. And when I'm listening to the radio in the car, I need the volume to be set at an even number. If my wife is adjusting the volume I'll either then adjust it to an even number or look away so I don't know if she set it to an odd number.[/quote]

For the most part there are only 2 things that will convince me to let things slide.
1. If my wife says "just go in the other room and it will get taken care of". I do have to check it latter to make sure that it was done right.

2. If my wife wants me to come upstairs and take care of her.

When the latter occurs I end up comming back downstairs to finish the job. Hey, I know how to prioritize.

GMScud 07-13-2010 12:37 PM

[quote=Schneed10;712065]For the most part this is me. My desk is currently a wreck (like always) but I know where everything is. Organized chaos.

Exceptions for me:

- The steak thing mentioned above.

- Keeping the same spot in the living room after the Skins win, changing it after they lose. Washing my Portis jersey after they lose, not washing it after they win.

- My finances. I track and categorize my spending and reconcile any unclassified amounts on a monthly basis.[/quote]

That's funny, when this thread popped up last night, I would have thought you would be one of most OCD people on here.

A buddy of mine with kids told me that my cleanliness issues will die really fast once my wife and I have some little ones.

Oh yeah, I forgot the bed. First thing I do when I get up is make the bed. An unmade bed can make an otherwise clean bedroom look a total mess.

Trample the Elderly 07-13-2010 12:54 PM

I can't stand filth, especially a refrigerator with old food in it. I don't clean everyday but I do have a field day every week, or every other week if I'm feeling lazy. Everything has a specific place where it belongs, from my amps to my books. My life and surroundings are pretty orderly.