Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Earthquake in Montgomery, Co., Maryland (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/37325-earthquake-in-montgomery-co-maryland.html)

SmootSmack 07-16-2010 07:20 AM

Earthquake in Montgomery, Co., Maryland

Did any of you down there feel it?

[url=http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=104223&catid=158]Earthquake Centered In Maryland; Felt In DC, Virginia | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |[/url]

RobH4413 07-16-2010 07:41 AM

Re: Earthquake in Montgomery, Co., Maryland

ha, woke up not too long ago thinking a bomb went off some where... it was about 4 seconds of rumbling... brushed it off thinking it was construction somewhere...

didn't feel it as much as i heard it. weird.

KLHJ2 07-16-2010 07:46 AM

I thought that they had dropped a piece of the Montgomery County ICC on a dumptruck when I heard it this morning. I didn't realize that it was an earthquake until the radio told me so.

CRedskinsRule 07-16-2010 08:41 AM

DCsportsradio

Earthquake in DC only means that Haynesworth has arrived in town....will report for camp! 16 minutes ago via Facebook

Hog1 07-16-2010 09:38 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;712699]DCsportsradio

[B]Earthquake in DC only means that Haynesworth has arrived in town[/B]....will report for camp! 16 minutes ago via Facebook[/quote]

And apparently he DID NOT lose 32 pounds.......

Mattyk 07-16-2010 09:48 AM

Earthquake in DC only means that Haynesworth has arrived in town....will report for camp! 16 minutes ago via Facebook[/quote]

I'm guessing this, in various forms, will be the social networking joke of the day.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-16-2010 09:54 AM

My sister lives pretty close to Gaithersburg and apparently it scared the hell out of her. She's already convinced her house is haunted, so being woken up to EVERYTHING shaking didn't really help.

Hog1 07-16-2010 10:00 AM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;712723]My sister lives pretty close to Gaithersburg and apparently it scared the hell out of her. She's already convinced her house is haunted, so being woken up to EVERYTHING shaking didn't really help.[/quote]

Maybe it.......WAS NOT an earthquake....but a Poltergeist???
Sam........Dean?

tryfuhl 07-16-2010 10:46 AM

Earthquake in DC only means that Haynesworth has arrived in town....will report for camp! 16 minutes ago via Facebook[/quote]

hahaha

12thMan 07-16-2010 11:48 AM

Slept right through it...lots of people felt it in DC and MD though.

over the mountain 07-16-2010 11:50 AM

nope i didnt feel anything in balt city. living in so cal for a bunch of years i have felt some pretty serious quakes. its a cool experience for sure, you feel humbled by the power of the earth.

while it isnt something you can plan for, it is def one of those cool things in life you can check of your life list.

12thMan 07-16-2010 11:57 AM

Funny story.

When I lived in L.A. for a few years I was coming home from church one Sunday and had to stop by apartment to take a quick piss. So I ran in, hit the bathroom and started taking care of my business. About 1/2 second in the walls started shaking and shifting around me, the floored buckled beneath my feet and piss went flying everywhere! I didn't know any better because it was my first quake. Went outside and the neighbors confirmed that we just had a mild tremor. Talk about being pissed off.

CooleyAsCanBe 07-16-2010 03:02 PM

I live in Fairfax and felt it pretty strongly for 5-6 seconds. I've been through a few bigger earthquakes, but this was the strongest I've felt in this area. Last one I felt in Virginia was in Charlottesville in 2003 right as I sat down to take my first exam in law school. I should have heeded that omen and dropped out. Now I'm stuck being a lawyer.

InsaneBoost 07-16-2010 03:14 PM

I felt it at 5am, looked like 5:10 for me, but can't remember was half asleep. I immediately thought D.C was being attacked considering I live right down the road.

Then of course I fall right back to sleep, wake up a couple minutes later thinking it was my phone going off (vibrate mode). Then realized it wasn't.

BDBohnzie 07-19-2010 11:54 AM

It woke me up in Frederick, which is 15-20 miles from the epicenter. First thing that popped in my mind was our water heater exploded, thought for a second and said it was too "quiet" to be in the house. Then figured a power transformer nearby exploded and when back to sleep. Woke up to the news that it was a 3.6 quake. Didn't realize there was a fault line in that part of the region (I know there is one over near Columbia)...