Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Fantasy Football (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Devin Thomas - The next big thing in Fantasy Receiving???? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37405)

Mechanix544 07-23-2010 02:48 PM

Devin Thomas - The next big thing in Fantasy Receiving????

Multiple sources I have been running across have Devin Thomas as the latest and greatest "Sleeper" WR for the 2010 - 11 fantasy season. As draft days all across the nation are nearing, should we Redskin fans be prepared for a huge breakout season from our underacheiving (thusfar) 2nd round pick???

[url=http://fantasyfootball.suite101.com/article.cfm/fantasy-football-2010-sleepers]Fantasy Football 2010: Sleepers[/url]

[url=http://www.kffl.com/article.php/123726/391]Fantasy football sleepers: Wide receivers :: KFFL.com - Article -[/url]

[url=http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/football/story/010810-harmon-2010-sleepers]Harmon: 2010 sleeper candidates - News - FOX Sports on MSN[/url]

Chico23231 07-23-2010 02:58 PM

Re: Devin Thomas - The next big thing in Fantasy Receiving????

Hopefully he is a breakout canidate period. Fantasy or not...we just need a viable threat again at the WR position.

tryfuhl 07-23-2010 03:02 PM

I was hoping to see Davis on the TE list

and @chico, couldn't agree more

NYCskinfan82 07-23-2010 03:04 PM

[quote=Chico23231;713868][B]Hopefully he is a breakout canidate period. Fantasy or not...we just need a viable threat again at the WR position.[/B][/quote]

Agree 110%.

InsaneBoost 07-23-2010 03:17 PM

I don't expect many people to take him in my league just because they pay attention to the record more than the players.

Definitely going to grab him.

MTK 07-23-2010 03:22 PM

Well if he's breaking out fantasy wise, he's breaking out for real, and vice versa.

itvnetop 07-23-2010 04:21 PM

With all of the bellyaching I've heard the past few seasons regarding our three second round picks two years ago, I think we'll be able to salvage (at least two of) them yet!

mlmpetert 07-23-2010 04:37 PM

[quote=Chico23231;713868]Hopefully he is a breakout canidate period. Fantasy or not...we just need a viable threat again at the WR position.[/quote]

#plus1

Defensewins 07-23-2010 04:39 PM

I hope Devin Thomas breaks out.
For Fantasy Football, it depends on how many participants are in your league and if there is slim pickings on you last or second to last pick. I am not planning on picking him. He has to consistently show me something in preseason against starting caliber DB's.
If he goes off on scrubs, it will mean nothing.

Longtimefan 07-23-2010 04:43 PM

[quote=Chico23231;713868]Hopefully he is a breakout canidate period. Fantasy or not...we just need a viable threat again at the WR position.[/quote]

One where in Thomas' case, the real and the imagined come to grips.

GTripp0012 07-23-2010 05:21 PM

I like Malcolm Kelly for *this* season, but ultimately, when Cooley is going to move around the scheme like a traditional WR1, AND he has TE eligibility, he's got to be the guy for Redskins fantasy purposes. Moss is going to suck up all the "deep" opportunities, leaving Fred Davis and Cooley with the rest.

Gmanc711 07-23-2010 05:24 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;713871]I was hoping to see Davis on the TE list

and @chico, couldn't agree more[/quote]

I honestly am not going to target Davis or Cooley in any drafts... because I think they're both that good that they're gonna steal alot of catches/TD's from each other... so from a fantasy standpoint, I don't knwo that either of them are a great option.

itvnetop 07-23-2010 05:42 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;713913]I honestly am not going to target Davis or Cooley in any drafts... because I think they're both that good that they're gonna steal alot of catches/TD's from each other... so from a fantasy standpoint, I don't knwo that either of them are a great option.[/quote]

On the flip side, I'd grab Zach Miller late- JC loves his TEs.

SirClintonPortis 07-23-2010 06:40 PM

I'll stay away from him...and then he'll probably burn me like Miles Austin did to me last season(I actually autopicked him in one league, and then proceed to cut him :().

InsaneBoost 07-23-2010 08:57 PM

[quote=Defensewins;713905]I hope Devin Thomas breaks out.
For Fantasy Football, it depends on how many participants are in your league and if there is slim pickings on you last or second to last pick. I am not planning on picking him. He has to consistently show me something in preseason against starting caliber DB's.
If he goes off on scrubs, it will mean nothing.[/quote]

Very true. I play in the free leagues so I don't mind just picking people for the hell of it. I remember everyone last year laughed at me for taking Cedric Benson, by like week 8 everyone was making trades to me for him.

I just have a really good feeling about Thomas this year, simply because I don't think we used him correctly last year, well, I think we know we didn't - and now with Shanahan I think he's going to be used properly.

skins89moss 07-24-2010 12:07 AM

Why is the idiot who wrote the article thinks Santana is going to miss a few games because of his affiliation with the Dr. who was providing PED's to NFL players.

SmootSmack 07-24-2010 08:34 AM

[quote=skins89moss;713934]Why is the idiot who wrote the article thinks Santana is going to miss a few games because of his affiliation with the Dr. who was providing PED's to NFL players.[/quote]

Was that a sentence, a question...?

Skinny Tee 07-24-2010 10:08 AM

I personally wouldn't take Thomas. Although Id like to see him breakout this season I don't think it will be probable. Id risk passing him up even if he does explode because with him it just isn't likely.

Hope Thomas proves me wrong though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lotus 07-24-2010 11:51 AM

Last year at this time Sidney Rice was a nobody.

Maybe what Favre is to Rice, so McNabb will be to DT. Fingers crossed.

redskinjim 07-24-2010 11:53 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;713912]I like Malcolm Kelly for *this* season, but ultimately, when Cooley is going to move around the scheme like a traditional WR1, AND he has TE eligibility, he's got to be the guy for Redskins fantasy purposes. Moss is going to suck up all the "deep" opportunities, leaving Fred Davis and Cooley with the rest.[/quote]

this is thomas breakout season if kelly does well thats great but he has cashed his paycheck and little else

RememberRFK 07-24-2010 12:28 PM

I would've liked to see a positive progression from Thomas. When an opposing defense puts a linebacker or their weakest link on him, just doesn't say too much to me. Sorry.

SouperMeister 07-24-2010 01:39 PM

I wouldn't read too much into that. Every year, fantasy prognosticators look for WRs entering their third seasons who have yet to make an impact, and deem one or two for a breakout season. I hope that it happens for Thomas (and Kelly), but take cookie-cutter fantasy prognostication with a grain of salt.

GTripp0012 07-24-2010 04:15 PM

[quote=redskinjim;713966]this is thomas breakout season if kelly does well thats great but he has cashed his paycheck and little else[/quote]Not going to be enough touches for a 3rd WR to break out in an offense that features two TEs.

GusFrerotte 07-25-2010 08:32 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;713863]Multiple sources I have been running across have Devin Thomas as the latest and greatest "Sleeper" WR for the 2010 - 11 fantasy season. As draft days all across the nation are nearing, should we Redskin fans be prepared for a huge breakout season from our underacheiving (thusfar) 2nd round pick???

[URL="http://fantasyfootball.suite101.com/article.cfm/fantasy-football-2010-sleepers"]Fantasy Football 2010: Sleepers[/URL]

[URL="http://www.kffl.com/article.php/123726/391"]Fantasy football sleepers: Wide receivers :: KFFL.com - Article -[/URL]

[URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/football/story/010810-harmon-2010-sleepers"]Harmon: 2010 sleeper candidates - News - FOX Sports on MSN[/URL][/quote]

I wouldn't draft him for fantasy at all, but he is a wait and see guy to pick up on waivers by say week 4. The reason I say that is every preseason rag like Athlon's, [EMAIL="S@S"]S@S[/EMAIL], etc said the same things about Devin last season. I know we have McNabb now, but I still would be wary about drafting Thomas or picking him up later on waivers til he has proven himself to be worthy of being even a fantasy backup.

GusFrerotte 07-25-2010 08:38 PM

If you want to be a homer or take a big risk, yeah get DT or even MK. I did that in '99 with getting Westbrook and Connell and it paid off, but that was when we had Johnson still being able to sling the pigskin, a decent O line, and a bruising back in Davis with a rather nice offensive scheme( I took all 4 guys). Could this be like '99? It could be, but I am not going to bet my fantasy season on it.

The Goat 07-26-2010 12:21 AM

[quote=Lotus;713965]Last year at this time Sidney Rice was a nobody.

Maybe what Favre is to Rice, so McNabb will be to DT. Fingers crossed.[/quote]

Word...

johno 07-26-2010 06:57 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;714068][B]I wouldn't draft him for fantasy at all, but he is a wait and see guy to pick up on waivers [/B]by say week 4. [/quote]

this is what i came here to say. i will hopefull have d.thomas on my team, but i wont waste a draft pick on him.

i wont be reaching for cooley either, there too many TEs that score about the same wach week these days. Most TEs will get you about the same bang for your buck, excluding the 2-3 elite ones of course.

theJBexperience 07-26-2010 08:39 AM

The third year is usually the breakout year for WRs in fantasy football, so hopefully, it comes to fruition. I do remember seeing DT on sleeper lists this time last year as well. Glad, I avoided him. It really all depends on how deep your league is though to draft him.

Also, this year I think many Skins will drop and be good value picks: McNabb, Portis, Moss, & Cooley.

MTK 07-26-2010 08:43 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;714069]If you want to be a homer or take a big risk, yeah get DT or even MK. I did that in '99 with getting Westbrook and Connell and it paid off, but that was when we had Johnson still being able to sling the pigskin, a decent O line, and a bruising back in Davis with a rather nice offensive scheme( I took all 4 guys). Could this be like '99? It could be, but I am not going to bet my fantasy season on it.[/quote]

I did the same thing in '99, took late round flyers on Johnson, Westbrook, and Davis. I easily cruised through that league. I also took a chance on a rookie RB that year that paid off big, Edgerrin James.

Mechanix544 07-26-2010 02:46 PM

[quote=Mattyk;714118]I did the same thing in '99, took late round flyers on Johnson, Westbrook, and Davis. I easily cruised through that league. I also took a chance on a rookie RB that year that paid off big, Edgerrin James.[/quote]

Yeah, Edge had a huge rookie season.

johnrigginsrevived 07-26-2010 04:19 PM

McNabb has made Reggie Brown and Freddie Mitchell appear to be respectable, so I don't doubt he can make Devin Thomas into a better receiver than he's been.

McNabb is much better than Jason Campbell, so strides will be made.

That also should mean the inconsistent S Moss has a solid season, though, too.

But my favorite guy to watch this year (besides a revitalized C Portis) is Chris Cooley. He was having a solid 2009 til he busted up his foot, and we all should know all too well how much McNabb LOVES his tight ends.

GusFrerotte 07-26-2010 09:23 PM

[quote=Mattyk;714118]I did the same thing in '99, took late round flyers on Johnson, Westbrook, and Davis. I easily cruised through that league. I also took a chance on a rookie RB that year that paid off big, Edgerrin James.[/quote]

Damn, you had James also? You definitely cruised that year Matty. I will acquire DT or MK, but only after weeks 4 to 5 just to see if they have indeed improved and have picked up on Kyle's system, which to me is more akin to Norv's than Coach Gibbs'. Could be rather a fun team to watch if we do get some positive answers from our young Wr corp!!!!!!!

skinsfan69 07-27-2010 06:46 AM

so tired of talking about thomas....and kelly for that matter. i would not touch this guy until the later rounds.

rbanerjee23 07-27-2010 12:21 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;714308]Damn, you had James also? You definitely cruised that year Matty. I will acquire DT or MK, but only after weeks 4 to 5 just to see if they have indeed improved and have picked up on Kyle's system, which to me is more akin to Norv's than Coach Gibbs'. Could be rather a fun team to watch if we do get some positive answers from our young Wr corp!!!!!!![/quote]

Both are definitely wait-and-see guys...they could be massive busts or they could be waiver wire gold.

GusFrerotte 07-27-2010 06:32 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;714357]so tired of talking about thomas....and kelly for that matter. i would not touch this guy until the later rounds.[/quote]

69, I wouldn't even draft them at all. At best they are maybe mid season waiver wire pickups. Week 4 at the very earliest, and that is if they really do break out, which is a 50/50 proposition.

Monkeydad 07-28-2010 11:02 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;714068]I wouldn't draft him for fantasy at all, but he is a wait and see guy to pick up on waivers by say week 4. The reason I say that is every preseason rag like Athlon's, S@S, etc said the same things about Devin last season. I know we have McNabb now, but I still would be wary about drafting Thomas or picking him up later on waivers til he has proven himself to be worthy of being even a fantasy backup.[/quote]

He's not going to be there with the articles being written about him, he'll be a popular last-round gamble.

Monkeydad 09-09-2010 04:11 PM

Well, not in Week 1 anyways. :D

GusFrerotte 09-09-2010 07:56 PM

I am in 3 leagues including my own and nobody drafted him. Most of the folks in my league ofcourse are Skins fans and they aren't going to bite on him yet. I assume if he goes gangbusters vs Dallas he will be hot on the waivers list, but not until then.

drew54 09-09-2010 08:12 PM

What about double A?

GusFrerotte 09-09-2010 08:22 PM

I will pick up AA if he shows any life tonight. I need a reliable backup WR in two of my leagues.