Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trent Williams has signed and is practicing today (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37533)

CRedskinsRule 07-30-2010 01:50 PM

Re: Trent Williams has signed and is practicing today

[quote=los panda;715748]i like it. but with no cap this year, was there no way to put the entire bonus into this years book? i don't understand why they would prorate the nearly $37M bonus if they could get it all into this uncapped year. anyone have any idea?[/quote]

lets see 21Mill in april = no show mandatory camp. Let's just let him work and get paid, no need to give a 22 year old 37Mill his first day at work. The salary cap will work itself out...

rbanerjee23 07-30-2010 02:08 PM

[quote=JWsleep;715889]Great news. I like this quote from the kid as well:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"I know I'm here to do a certain job, and that's to protect the blind side," Williams said. "If I go out there thinking about the bucks and not doing my job, I won't be here long. I just kind of put it behind me. I'm going to try to save and play my butt off."[/COLOR]

And
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
The other offensive linemen gave Williams grief for missing the first day of camp and forcing them to take more repetitions. He understood hazing was coming, and said he will "carry the pads all day long." And with his signing bonus, Williams joked he needs to talk to his financial advisers about finding the money to pay for teammates' meals throughout the season. All he said he needs is a house and a car to drive to work. He was informed that fellow lineman and Oklahoma product Jamaal Brown wants a car from Williams.

Responded Williams: "He can keep wishing on that one."[/COLOR]

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/trent-williams-happy-with-deal.html#more]Redskins Insider - Trent Williams happy with deal, gets right to work[/url][/quote]

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this mentality. Let's hope that he really has a good head on his shoulders, stays humble and hungry, and becomes the perennial all-pro we are all hoping it is. God knows, Washington is due its blind-side wall.

NYCskinfan82 07-30-2010 02:29 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;715902]lets see 21Mill in april = no show mandatory camp. Let's just let him work and get paid, no need to give a 22 year old 37Mill his first day at work. The salary cap will work itself out...[/quote]

Absolutely right the FO learnt alot from the AH contract.

Trample the Elderly 07-30-2010 02:44 PM

[quote=JWsleep;715889]Great news. I like this quote from the kid as well:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"I know I'm here to do a certain job, and that's to protect the blind side," Williams said. "If I go out there thinking about the bucks and not doing my job, I won't be here long. I just kind of put it behind me. I'm going to try to save and play my butt off."[/COLOR]

And
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
The other offensive linemen gave Williams grief for missing the first day of camp and forcing them to take more repetitions. He understood hazing was coming, and said he will "carry the pads all day long." And with his signing bonus, Williams joked he needs to talk to his financial advisers about finding the money to pay for teammates' meals throughout the season. All he said he needs is a house and a car to drive to work. He was informed that fellow lineman and Oklahoma product Jamaal Brown wants a car from Williams.

Responded Williams: "He can keep wishing on that one."[/COLOR]

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/trent-williams-happy-with-deal.html#more]Redskins Insider - Trent Williams happy with deal, gets right to work[/url][/quote]

This is the kind of player I want on the team. Can we draft another one, please?

CRedskinsRule 07-30-2010 03:29 PM

[QUOTE]No. 1 pick Trent Williams signed his contract early Friday morning and joined the team for practice as the starting left tackle. His immediate plans thereafter: "A nap." Williams spent a sleepless night Thursday just outside the environs of Redskins Park as he waited for his agents to finalize his deal with the team. He even thought about watching Thursday's opening session. "I was nipping at the bit to drive by and see what was going on," he said. Instead, he hunkered down in his hotel room with instructions to stay close to his phone. And that's what he did, unable to sleep. The call came at 4:30 a.m. and then it was way too late for shut-eye. "They wanted me here at 6 a.m.," he said. "No point in teasing myself with one hour of sleep." Former left tackle Chris Samuels, now a coaching intern, said Williams "did really well his first day and he's going to get better." Linebacker Brian Orakpo, who played against Williams when Orakpo was at Texas and Williams was at Oklahoma, likes his former rival. "He loves to work to get better," he said. "He's a phenomenal tackle. I have been going against him nearly every day and he keeps getting better. He has such explosive feet and power." Williams enjoys getting tested by Orakpo, who had 11 sacks as a rookie. "When he left Texas, I knew he was going to be a force to be reckoned with," Williams said. "I didn't expect to see him every day."[/QUOTE] from the redskins "redskins rule" blog (and yeah it ticked me off when they took that name, I oughta get some royalties or somethin, of course i'd have to pay matty, and probably wouldn't see a dime. I wonder if Ben Dogra would help me out!)

over the mountain 07-30-2010 03:39 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;715704]first play in practice was Portis to the left behind Trent[/quote]

you are freakin on point today with the updates. i appreciate.

i really like what weve been hearing about trent. he had a rep of not being lazy but not being the most motivated and devoted player. seems hes been at every meeting, workout etc working hard.

sounds like the kid has eye-opening amazing feet. this draft pick seems like a great fit.

Kindoy 07-30-2010 06:57 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;715704]first play in practice was Portis to the left behind Trent[/quote]

best blocking back in the league IMO.

NYCskinfan82 07-30-2010 07:49 PM

[quote=Kindoy;715983]best blocking back in the league IMO.[/quote]

Please stop stateing the obvious LOL, agree 110% he loves to play.

Kindoy 07-30-2010 11:30 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;715992]Please stop stateing the obvious LOL, agree 110% he loves to play.[/quote]

its something many people over look when they analyze a back though... i just love watching him pick up the blitz and lay a good one on those backers, even though all that hitting gets him into trouble (like after INT's)

tryfuhl 07-30-2010 11:36 PM

[quote=over the mountain;715944]you are freakin on point today with the updates. i appreciate.

i really like what weve been hearing about trent. he had a rep of not being lazy but not being the most motivated and devoted player. seems hes been at every meeting, workout etc working hard.

sounds like the kid has eye-opening amazing feet. this draft pick seems like a great fit.[/quote]

thanks bro, I'm honestly addicted to info like this

killed me we were so busy at work today and I couldn't share/tweet, etc

It's really pulling me back to my desire to be a journalist..

GusFrerotte 07-30-2010 11:58 PM

A moderate contract from what we gave AH, but pretty hefty just the same. This guy will be our new Chris Samuels though.

rbanerjee23 07-31-2010 12:38 AM

And he is in the perfect situation to be successful -- he has an all-pro, all-class guy in Chris Samuels who can not only teach him about playing the LT position in the NFL and the NFC East as well but also what it means to be a professional and a Redskin.

He has another high draft pick who came in from a successful Big 12 school (Orakpo) who can challenge him everyday in practice.

And, perhaps most importantly, he has a tough, successful coach who has a history of creating great offensive lines in Mike Shanahan.

Given these factors, he's been put in a really conducive situation to become a rock on our left side for the next 7-10 years.

los panda 07-31-2010 08:22 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;715902]lets see 21Mill in april = no show mandatory camp. Let's just let him work and get paid, no need to give a 22 year old 37Mill his first day at work. The salary cap will work itself out...[/quote]no need to get all the [B]guaranteed[/B] money out of the way in an uncapped year so his cap hit would be roughly $6M less each following year? it just doesn't make sense to me - he's going to get his money either way.

btw, this is just me assuming that it was possible to get all his guaranteed money onto this years book. i have no idea if that was possible. can anyone comfirm?

Longtimefan 07-31-2010 08:49 AM

Trent has left the impression of a very personable and humble young man, easy to like, with both a love and respect for the game that should take him far.

I hope he remains committed and injury free, with a long career as a Redskin that will rival that of his predecessor. Glad the deal got done quickly and he didn't have to miss significant time. Hope to see him in B&G for years to come. httr

T.O.Killa 07-31-2010 10:06 AM

I think Trent looks very fat.