Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   DT Daryl Gardener becomes a FA (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/379-dt-daryl-gardener-becomes-a-fa.html)

Defensewins 03-11-2004 11:10 AM

DT Daryl Gardener becomes a FA

Washington Post says:
"Defensive tackle Daryl Gardener settled his dispute with the Denver Broncos yesterday,and secured an agreement that he will become a free agent. Under the terms of the settlement, the Broncos agreed to release Gardener in June and to allow Gardener and his representative to begin exploring deals with other teams immediately, NFL sources said last night.
Gardener's top choices likely will include the Washington Redskins, with whom he spent the 2002 season, and the Cincinnati Bengals. "

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47845-2004Mar10.html[/url]

Skins should sign him! He would immeadiately become the best DT on the team. I don't think Brandon Noble will be fully healed from such a bad knee injury. It takes a full year to recover from just an ACL injury. Brandon tore his ACL, MCL and dislocated his knee cap (which in all likelyhood tore his patella tendon). He is not going to be the same player this coming season. It will take more time. We should still keep Brandon Noble on the roster though.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-11-2004 11:23 AM

I agree, but do we have the $$ to sign him? He is going to want a big pay day I'm sure.

I know there will be abundance of posts saying that he has character issues and will be disruptive in the locker room, etc... But I think he played great for us and would be the final building block on our D-Line. Now we can focus on Taylor or KWII...

Here's a question to you smart folks: Don't we have a cap hit on the books right now from when we released him? What happens to that hit if we resign him?? Does it go away? Or can it be merged with his new contract??

I'd be very interested to find out....

cpayne5 03-11-2004 11:26 AM

I have concerns about his back problems as well.

Mattyk 03-11-2004 11:32 AM

I think after his adventures in Denver he won't have much leverage in seeking a big money deal, he'll likely have to settle for a cheap one year deal.

I'd give him a look for a cheap, incentive filled deal.

Mattyk 03-11-2004 11:33 AM

I think concerns about his back pale in comparison to his off the field troubles and his behavior problems.

Mattyk 03-11-2004 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]I agree, but do we have the $$ to sign him? He is going to want a big pay day I'm sure.

I know there will be abundance of posts saying that he has character issues and will be disruptive in the locker room, etc... But I think he played great for us and would be the final building block on our D-Line. Now we can focus on Taylor or KWII...

Here's a question to you smart folks: Don't we have a cap hit on the books right now from when we released him? What happens to that hit if we resign him?? Does it go away? Or can it be merged with his new contract??

I'd be very interested to find out....[/QUOTE]

I don't think we took any cap hit for him, if I remember correctly he signed a one year deal with us and we simply chose to not re-sign him.

Defensewins 03-11-2004 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]Here's a question to you smart folks: Don't we have a cap hit on the books right now from when we released him? What happens to that hit if we resign him?? Does it go away? Or can it be merged with his new contract??

I'd be very interested to find out....[/QUOTE]

He only signed a one year contract with us two years ago. So there was no dead money cost to our cap in regards to D. Gardner.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-11-2004 11:39 AM

OK - Thanks guys.

I think that him, Noble, and Griffin would be a nice interior rotation!

I definitely like him better than "Worn" Sapp!!

Defensewins 03-11-2004 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]I have concerns about his back problems as well.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have to be a full time starter. With the other talented DT on the roster, Gardener could play on key plays like third and longs or third and short, like Jumpy Geathers did. This guy is great at smashing the pocket. Something we haven't had since he left.

skins009 03-11-2004 11:48 AM

If I could get Gardner for a real cheap deal i would sign him. But I think he's gonna go to the bongals.

AnonEmouse 03-11-2004 11:54 AM

It depends on whether he wants to play for Lewis or Williams. I agree that if he wants to be here and is talking a soft contract, then bring him in.

Mattyk 03-11-2004 12:04 PM

I remember reading a while back that the Skins FO said they would not be interested in pursuing Gardener if he became available, so we'll see.

I say he'll end up in Cincy. Gardener is a headache that Gibbs doesn't need.

JWsleep 03-11-2004 12:54 PM

If we don't trade down (and I doubt we will), then we will try to fill in the gaps on the d-line with undrafted rooks, cap casualties and problem guys like Gardner. All this will happen after the June 1st cut date. We'll also clear cap space for that (Moore, Trung, Trotter?), and to sign our 1st rounder.

Gardner is good, and he behaved last time he was here. Maybe DC calms him down? He's certainly gonna be on a relatively short list, but his character may send him to Cincy. Who else is there on the potential cap causalty list?

backrow 03-11-2004 01:31 PM

Matty!

Matty! My understanding is we tried to make an offer to Gardner after 2002, but he wanted to shop around and market his skills.

Now the question arrises about whether to take him back. I say yes! Definitely.

Is he a character guy? I say there is no one out there with more character except Ray Lewis and the banned drug offenders! LOL!

Is it a questionable character or good character? Now we narrow it down a little. He was good while here. The FO should know. They wined him and dined him the first go around.

Did he suddenly turn bad? Well, I submit that he shook hands with Coach Shanahan 3 times during the exit interview! That's not bad! Go for it cousinvinnie! Send the plane(s)! (We did use two during FA according to today's Post, I was right!)

How old is Gardner, anyway?

cpayne5 03-11-2004 01:49 PM

His back acts up after very little playing time sometime. Is a non-everydown player worth the amount of money that he'll be asking for?