Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   John Lynch to be released (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=380)

joecrisp 03-11-2004 12:53 PM

John Lynch to be released

ESPNNews just said the Bucs are expected to release safety John Lynch. Your thoughts?

redwagonskins 03-11-2004 01:02 PM

for the right money, he'd be a great pick-up. he still has the skills and he's got character, something our team has been lacking. he's be a great mentor to a rookie safety from miami!

skins009 03-11-2004 01:09 PM

Its to bad he's not gonna want to play for free, because we don't have anymore money.

MTK 03-11-2004 01:27 PM

I'd rather stick with our current safeties and possibly add Taylor to the mix.

I like the MO of obtaining younger talent.

SkinsRock 03-11-2004 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=skins009]Its to bad he's not gonna want to play for free, because we don't have anymore money.[/QUOTE]

Releasing Trung, Moore, and Chamberlain will bring us 3 million further under the cap.

He's a good veteran player, so I could see the Gibbs going after him. If they do, it's probably either Winslow or a trade down in the draft...

SmootSmack 03-11-2004 01:40 PM

I agree with Matty on this one...by the way, what's the latest with Stubblefield and Russell going to the Bucs? They already have Del Cowsette, are they just trying to load up on Redskins DTs? Not the soundest strategy

Ghost 03-11-2004 03:04 PM

Why would they release Lynch? Isn't he still fairly young? Seems strange that they'd let a guy like him go without compensation. If his cap number is too big, why not restructure?

Duffman003 03-11-2004 03:06 PM

lynch is 30 something hes not young (for the NFL).

skins009 03-11-2004 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock]Releasing Trung, Moore, and Chamberlain will bring us 3 million further under the cap.

He's a good veteran player, so I could see the Gibbs going after him. If they do, it's probably either Winslow or a trade down in the draft...[/QUOTE]

That is true, but if we are already almost max.ed out in terms of cap just imagine in few years when everybody's salary increases. Were gonna be like the Ravens a few years ago, having to release half our team. To me there's no more money to be signing people. Plus we still have to sign our 1st round pick, and you know he's gonna hold out, thinking he can pry out a lot of money from the undiciplined negociating of dan synder. I sure would do that.

Bozzy 03-11-2004 03:49 PM

I think John Lynch would be an excellent pickup.

diehardskin2982 03-11-2004 04:11 PM

Personally I would love to get both lynch and Sapp for the right price. If you think about it, that is 2 of the 3 people who rebuilt that defense down there in tampa. They would definately help the skins. Lynch could be shifted to Strong Safety, we either let go of Ohalette or sign him DIRT CHEAP. We draft Taylor to start at FS that would be some major debt in the secondary. With Griffin and sapp causeing havoc in the middle Daniels comming off one end, also either lavar or washington blitzing from the other side would be a major headache for any offensive coordinator.

I know most of you say that it would never happen but how many of you would have guessed that Champ would be gone, Portis would be here along with brunnel ?!! ;)

Personally I just dont't feel confortable with giving the starting DT job to Noble who is comming off of a normally career ending injury. And we need to do something with the eagles getting Kearse and cowboys hot after Wiley a d-line that can cause havok is a must on a championship team :)

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-11-2004 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=diehardskin2982]Personally I would love to get both lynch and Sapp for the right price. [/QUOTE]

Well the evil cowboys got to Sapp first. Who's your second choice??

jsarno 03-11-2004 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I'd rather stick with our current safeties and possibly add Taylor to the mix.

I like the MO of obtaining younger talent.[/QUOTE]

This is my thoughts exactly.

sportscurmudgeon 03-11-2004 04:20 PM

John Lynch can play safety in the NFL at the highest level of the game. He's shown that; it's not a projection or an estimate; it's a fact.

The Redskins need to upgrade their talent at safety. Anyone who thinks that Bowen and Iffy can play at anything more than 75% of the effectiveness of John Lynch needs some serious therapy. I'm not questioning the hustle and the effort and the good intentions of the safeties on the team last year. I'm saying that if they gave anything near their maximum effort, then they are placeholders at the position and the the answer to the problems.

If Lynch can fit in under the Skins' cap for the next two years, they should sign him immediately - - if not sooner.

diehardskin2982 03-11-2004 04:30 PM

The sapp thing may be just a rumor but if so someone with a big body maybe bring back stubblefield.

jsarno 03-11-2004 04:30 PM

well, in a perfect world we could sign anyone we wanted like the Yankees, but this isn't the awful MLB, it's the NFL and we have a cap to worry about.
Ohalete and Bowen are a good safty combo, possibly the best we have had in years. They are the best ever, but for the money they are good. They are both cap friendly and we need that.

SmootSmack 03-11-2004 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]John Lynch can play safety in the NFL at the highest level of the game. He's shown that; it's not a projection or an estimate; it's a fact.

The Redskins need to upgrade their talent at safety. Anyone who thinks that Bowen and Iffy can play at anything more than 75% of the effectiveness of John Lynch needs some serious therapy. I'm not questioning the hustle and the effort and the good intentions of the safeties on the team last year. I'm saying that if they gave anything near their maximum effort, then they are placeholders at the position and the the answer to the problems.

If Lynch can fit in under the Skins' cap for the next two years, they should sign him immediately - - if not sooner.[/QUOTE]

Curmudgeon, would you drop Iffy and Bowen and go with Taylor and Lynch at safety? By the way, I was reading your rant today and I'm wondering...which NWBL team are you thinking of buying

johnnyredskin63 03-11-2004 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=diehardskin2982] bring back stubblefield.[/QUOTE]

the universe echoes with the voices of billions of redskins fans all over screaming a resounding HELL NO to that prospect.............
i'm open to lynch though,one hell of a player. :D
[IMG]http://www.thehogs.net/forum/images/avatars/gallery/admin/speek1.jpg[/IMG]

sportscurmudgeon 03-11-2004 10:11 PM

smootsmack:

1. I would buy a franchise in the NWBL if it cost me $19.95. Anything more than that and I think it is a bad deal! I'm afraid that I might have to kidnap people and drag them at gunpoint to the arena to watch the games. :D

2. I would take Lynch and Taylor over Ohalete and Bowen in a flash!

3. I'd take Lynch and either Ohalete or Bowen over Ohalete and Bowen in a flash!

4. I'd take Lynch and any other safety in the NFL who started at least 10 games last year over Ohalete and Bowen with no hesitation.

Let me be unambiguously clear here. John Lynch is significantly better than either of the jamokes that played safety for the Skins last year. That is not intended to demean their effort or their dedication; it simply recognizes the flat- out fact that Ohalete and Bowen are average performers at their position and Lynch is a top-shelf performer.

The only 2 "problems" with John Lynch are:

1. He is 30 years old and at some point will start to slow down. Safeties generally do not excel at their job into their late 30s. He probably has 3 good years left in him - maybe 5 if he is extremely fortunate to avoid injuries.

2. He has played well enough that he is probably expecting a nice pay-day. That is why I said before that the salary cap guru for the Skins would have to assure the coaching staff that Lynch's deal can fit into the salary picture for at least this year and next year.

Beemnseven 03-11-2004 10:29 PM

Sports, you and I are about the only two people on this board who are willing to tell it like it is regarding Bowen and Ohalete -- you're just nicer about it. I prefer call them Bozo and Dum-Dum.

Somebody earlier said that they were the possibly the 'best we've had in years'. Clearly, that person has been eating those mushrooms you mentioned in another thread and should be sent to the chalkboard immediately.

Bozo and Dum-Dum were consistently beaten, turned around, burned, slapped, caught way out of position, or made bonehead penalties to give their opponents an automatic first down.

Hell, I think even the lowly Matt Stevens was better than they were.

Lynch and Sean Taylor would make our secondary, and our defense as a whole instantly better. I hope Vinny and Danny are on the case, workin' the numbers!

Scott 03-11-2004 10:40 PM

I agree that Lynch would be an upgrade, but 1. He will be too expensive, he has not shown a year of diminished skill and therefore will be demanding "in my prime" money" and #2 He is 32 years old, reminds me too much of another DB that we signed and ended up being washed up when he showed up...give ya a hint he fields punts with his facemask

MTK 03-11-2004 10:50 PM

Sounds like he could be headed to the Jets anyway, he's really tight with Herm Edwards

Ghost 03-11-2004 11:00 PM

I'd rather have Taylor for roughly the same amount of money.

skinsfanthru&thru 03-12-2004 12:58 AM

if the pay is right I'd love for him to sign on. which safety spot is his strongest? think of how much better he could make taylor if we draft him. heck he could possibly even tutor Bowens and Ohalete enough to make them atleast representable safeties. but I also think his signing would be awesome in that we shored up our safety spot with a big upgrade and allow us to draft winslow or trade down knowing our safety isn't the weakest link on the defense anymore.

cpayne5 03-12-2004 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=Ghost]I'd rather have Taylor for roughly the same amount of money.[/QUOTE]
True. The guy has been compared to RWilliams - except that Taylor is said to be quicker and possess better cover skills.

AnonEmouse 03-12-2004 08:29 AM

Lynch has said it wasn't about the money. He loves the game so much etc. Maybe he won't be too expensive? I for one would love to have him and Taylor back there. With the 5th rd pick back, do we draft Taylor and a CB and concentrate on shoreing up the DL through FA and undrafted?

sportscurmudgeon 03-12-2004 11:18 AM

According to the Orlando Sentinel (Chris Harry is an excellent NFL beat reporter), the Bucs will retain Lynch's rights and hope to trade him. The team gave Lynch's agent permission to shop Lynch around the league and to try to make a deal for him. The Orlando Sentinel says that the Bucs are looking to get a sixth round pick next year for Lynch.

Lynch already offered to take a large salary cut (he was going to make $4.1M next year in Tampa) to stay with the Bucs but the team decided to go with Jermaine Phillips instead.

Next year's sixth round pick is not much of a price for guy who has a couple of good years left in him. And if he was willing to take a large cut from $4.1M to play next year, that sounds pretty reasonable to me...

skinsfanthru&thru 03-12-2004 12:08 PM

if that's all it takes and he's willing to renegotiate his contract then there is no question u try and make this deal. a 6th rounder for one of the best players at his position? no-brainer imo.

offiss 03-12-2004 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]According to the Orlando Sentinel (Chris Harry is an excellent NFL beat reporter), the Bucs will retain Lynch's rights and hope to trade him. The team gave Lynch's agent permission to shop Lynch around the league and to try to make a deal for him. The Orlando Sentinel says that the Bucs are looking to get a sixth round pick next year for Lynch.

Lynch already offered to take a large salary cut (he was going to make $4.1M next year in Tampa) to stay with the Bucs but the team decided to go with Jermaine Phillips instead.

Next year's sixth round pick is not much of a price for guy who has a couple of good years left in him. And if he was willing to take a large cut from $4.1M to play next year, that sounds pretty reasonable to me...[/QUOTE]

They will release him they have no leverage, I don't know why they are even bothering to hang on, they won't pay him on his original contract and they won't pay him even if he takes a significant pay cut, everyone know's it, so why would he exept a trade when he can be an unrestricted free agent and go any where he want's? sound's like this new GM the buc's have isn't to bright, or he think's everyone else is stupid.

sportscurmudgeon 03-12-2004 04:42 PM

The reasons the Bucs are letting him shop for a deal are several-fold.

1. They don't owe him a dime until he is due to get a roster bonus in mid-May. They will put him on the waiver wire instead of paying him, but until then, they can try for a low round draft pick next year.

2. Other teams that need/want Lynch are motivated to pay a 6th round pick next year and negotiate a new deal with Lynch's agent so that they do not get caught up in any kind of bidding war to sign him as a free agent. For the price of a 6th rounder next year, you are sure to get a solid player at a price that you and he negotiate.

3. John Lynch is providing a home for Herm Edwards' son in Florida as the kid finished high school there. Edwards wanted him to finish school there and left him in Lynch's care when Herm went off to NY. So if you are a team other than the Jets and you want Lynch, it behooves you to make a deal now with the Bucs. I think there is some "bonding" between Lynch and Edwards here...

Be careful about calling the new GM in Tampa an idiot. He is the son of George Allen who has some "Redskins credentials". Lots of folks here might not think that Redskins heroes produce idiotic offspring. ;)

sportscurmudgeon 03-13-2004 09:39 PM

Here is another reason to think Lynch will be going to the Jets. I did not know this until about an hour ago.

John Lynch is the Godfather for Herm Edwards' son - the one who was living with Lynch and his family in Tampa after Herm went to NY.

If the Jets make an offer that is even competitive with any other team, I suspect that Lynch is headed for NYC.

johnnyredskin63 03-15-2004 05:14 AM

i knew that,i saw a strory about it last year on hbo sports.i think he'll go to the jets or colts.he's still close to tony dungy also.i think the bucs were idiots to let him go.
who is gonna lead the defense down there now?

MTK 03-15-2004 09:24 AM

Derrick Brooks?

skinsfanthru&thru 03-15-2004 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Derrick Brooks?[/QUOTE]

isn't brooks 30 something or did he just turn 30?

MTK 03-15-2004 11:16 AM

Regardless of age he's still one of the top LB's in the league, and one of the top defenders period.

johnnyredskin63 03-15-2004 05:39 PM

i do'nt care if it's vince lombardi,john lynch is irreplaceable in the tampa bay defense.
i wish him nothing but the best,just not against the redskins.

Riggo44 03-15-2004 05:41 PM

He is to OLD!!