Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our Schedule...Did you know? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=38108)

aceinthehouse 08-26-2010 11:17 AM

Our Schedule...Did you know?

Although we have tough opponents this season drawing the AFC South and NFC North,it couldn't be setup any better for a Playoff run imo...

Here are some things i want to point out to everyone, regarding the 2010 schedule
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1)Nice to get an opening home game as we usually do well at this point,regardless of how the season turns out. It's also nice to get Dallas early and possibly put a quick W in the Division and Conference box hopefully.(It's been ugly playing @Giants in back-to-back seasons)

#2)Did you know we do not play an NFC East team in any consecutive week throughout the whole season? (or back-to-back weeks) This is something we usually see at least once when looking at the schedule.

#3)Our toughest Non Divisional games are Minnesota,Indianapolis and Green Bay in most peoples eyes...ALL of these games are at home.

#4)There are 3 separate areas in the schedule,where we play on the road in back-to-back weeks during that period. 2/3 have us paired with the 2 weakest teams from last season in Lions and the Rams. The other is against last seasons 7-9 jags. (@Rams/@Eagles...@Bears/@Lions....@Cowboys/@Jags)

#5)Of the 16 game schedule,did you know we only have 4 games on turf? We have the Lions,Rams...then Cowboys and Giants on the road. This is big imo considering the amount of injuries suffered from the turf surface. Link of surfaces: [URL="http://ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums#List"]ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums#List[/URL]

Anything else you want to add,that might be a surprise or something some of us haven't noticed off hand about the schedule?

ace

irish 08-26-2010 12:32 PM

Re: Our Schedule...Did you know?

[quote=aceinthehouse;724157]Although we have tough opponents this season drawing the AFC South and NFC North,it couldn't be setup any better for a Playoff run imo...

Here are some things i want to point out to everyone, regarding the 2010 schedule
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1)Nice to get an opening home game as we usually do well at this point,regardless of how the season turns out. It's also nice to get Dallas early and possibly put a quick W in the Division and Conference box hopefully.(It's been ugly playing @Giants in back-to-back seasons)

#2)Did you know we do not play an NFC East team in any consecutive week throughout the whole season? (or back-to-back weeks) This is something we usually see at least once when looking at the schedule.

#3)Our toughest Non Divisional games are Minnesota,Indianapolis and Green Bay in most peoples eyes...ALL of these games are at home.

#4)There are 3 separate areas in the schedule,where we play on the road in back-to-back weeks during that period. 2/3 have us paired with the 2 weakest teams from last season in Lions and the Rams. The other is against last seasons 7-9 jags. (@Rams/@Eagles...@Bears/@Lions....@Cowboys/@Jags)

#5)Of the 16 game schedule,did you know we only have 4 games on turf? We have the Lions,Rams...then Cowboys and Giants on the road. This is big imo considering the amount of injuries suffered from the turf surface. Link of surfaces: [URL="http://ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums#List"]ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums#List[/URL]

Anything else you want to add,that might be a surprise or something some of us haven't noticed off hand about the schedule?

ace[/quote]

This team isnt going to the playoffs. They are 9-7 at best.

johno 08-26-2010 12:36 PM

I am not sure we are a playoff team this year, but some really good observations here.

BleedBurgundy 08-26-2010 12:42 PM

[quote=irish;724205]This team isnt going to the playoffs. They are 9-7 at best.[/quote]

Are those cornflakes? Have some urine...

SmootSmack 08-26-2010 12:43 PM

I think we'll be somewhere between irish's 9-7 (at best) and ace's 14-2. More like 10-6/11-5

MTK 08-26-2010 12:47 PM

I can see this team winning anywhere from 7 to 11 games.

So basically I don't really know what to expect exactly, but what I do know is last year ain't happening again.

NoviSkins 08-26-2010 12:49 PM

Good Observations, I think we'll get win between 9-11 games. I think the biggest x factor is the O-Line health. Great optimism before the season even starts Irish (at best).

Stacks42 08-26-2010 01:12 PM

I think we will win somewhere between 0 an 16 games, and I am willing to put some serious money down on it!

irish 08-26-2010 01:12 PM

According to Boswell in today's Post, in the past 20 years, 18 teams have gone 4-12 and switched coaches. Their avg record is 7-9 so yes, I am being optimistic.

TheMalcolmConnection 08-26-2010 01:24 PM

Basically one thing I can guarantee is that based on having a competent coach, that swings the games we would have lost last year by at least 1-2. Having a REAL QB is also going to add another 1-2, so I'm thinking in the 8-10 win range.

CRedskinsRule 08-26-2010 01:30 PM

[quote=irish;724221]According to Boswell in today's Post, in the past 20 years, 18 teams have gone 4-12 and switched coaches. Their avg record is 7-9 so yes, I am being optimistic.[/quote]

fair enough, but I think our talent was better than the 4-12 record indicated, and our coaching was seriously lacking. I think if you were to factor out teams where talent was the obvious issue - thus forcing a full scale rebuilding year, and also the cases where the coaches brought in were young or less than experienced, the avg might rise a bit. Yes I am suggesting skewing the stats so that it is more favorable, but also I think more realistic.

Out of those 18 teams, how many changed to a proven coach?
How many switched FO models so dramatically, from true dysfunction to highly regarded?

I think a lot of 4-12 teams bring in new coaches and still chug along under the old m.o.

I'm not saying we are SB bound (yet) but I think we have a lot of reasons to expect a 9-11 win season, even against the averages.

CRedskinsRule 08-26-2010 01:36 PM

[quote=Stacks42;724220]I think we will win somewhere between 0 an 16 games, and I am willing to put some serious money down on it![/quote]

so 19 wins and you lose a ton. no offense but I am hoping you go broke :D

saden1 08-26-2010 01:48 PM

It's hard to find a few positives in an otherwise tough schedule. Yes, it is nice to have mid-season bye week and home games against tough opponents but at the end of the days the Skins have to produce on the field. Hopefully they will.

BigHairedAristocrat 08-26-2010 01:48 PM

Shanahan's records in denver his last three years were 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8.

I think its somewhat unreasonable to expect him to take over a 4-12 team, turnover the coaching staff 90%, rehaul the entire offensive line, bring in a new quarterback, completely change pretty much everything about the defense from basic scheme to overall philosophy... yet have a record markedly better than when he had an established system with established coaches and a roster completely of his chosing.

I highly doubt that a Shanahan-coached team will ever be too far above (or below) .500. If he ever has an 11-5 or better season in DC, it will be in 3-4 years. To make matters worse for 2010, we've got one of the toughest schedules in the league (atleast based on our opponents 2009 rankings).

Anythings possible - look at what the Jets did last year (albeit with a ridiculously easy schedule). Every year one or two teams catch the league off guard. I'm expecting a 7-9 season and hoping for 9-7: anything better than that is simply unrealistic.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-26-2010 02:02 PM

I am going out on a limb and say we go 11-5 (5-1) in the division including a W over Minnesota. Carolina whipped up on them last year when they were playing well. Sidney Rice wont be 100%. Brett Favre wont have the same year he had last year and Percy Harvin might get a migraine during the game.

CRedskinsRule 08-26-2010 02:49 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;724236]Shanahan's records in denver his last three years were 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8.

I think its somewhat unreasonable to expect him to take over a 4-12 team, turnover the coaching staff 90%, rehaul the entire offensive line, bring in a new quarterback, completely change pretty much everything about the defense from basic scheme to overall philosophy... yet have a record markedly better than when he had an established system with established coaches and a roster completely of his chosing.

I highly doubt that a Shanahan-coached team will ever be too far above (or below) .500. If he ever has an 11-5 or better season in DC, it will be in 3-4 years. To make matters worse for 2010, we've got one of the toughest schedules in the league (atleast based on our opponents 2009 rankings).

Anythings possible - look at what the Jets did last year (albeit with a ridiculously easy schedule). Every year one or two teams catch the league off guard. I'm expecting a 7-9 season and hoping for 9-7: anything better than that is simply unrealistic.[/quote]

Shanahan was also trying to wear too many hats in Denver, and had basically burnt out. I think he comes back and these first few years has several reasons to "prove" something. I think our low end has to be 8-8, splitting the division, winning games we should win ie Rams, Lions, Jags, Bucs and pulling an "upset" or two, ie Minnesota. That doesn't include beating teams like Chicago, Tennessee, or Houston where they may be very good or flops.

Since we have the benefit this year of a last place schedule I would not be surprised to see us be that team that bounces way high this year, then next year settles back even though we may be more talented next year than this.

skinsfaninok 08-26-2010 03:04 PM

Id be happy with 10-6. And a wildcard

FRPLG 08-26-2010 03:04 PM

I think we could win anywhere from 6-11 games. I do think even if we win 6 games we'll win the 6 games we're supposed to win. No more up and down. We'll be a solid team this year and if we can stay healthy I see no reason we can't win our division. We're not out of line talent-wise from the rest of the division.

Slingin Sammy 33 08-26-2010 03:40 PM

Hate to agree with irish and spill the Kool-Aid, but our schedule based on last years records is the 8th hardest. The silver lining is that Dall-ass is 3rd, the Giants are 7th and the Iggles 9th.

[URL="http://www.capperspicks.com/blog/nfl/2010-strength-of-schedule-50519/"]2010 NFL Strength Of Schedule - (SOS), nfl schedules, fantasy football[/URL]

It's real early, but here's what I see:

Cowboys - W
Texans - W
@ Rams - W
@ Eagles - L
Packers - L
Colts - L
@ Bears - W
@ Lions - W
Eagles - W
@ Titans - L
Vikings - L
@ Giants - L
Buccaneers - W
@ Cowboys - L
@ Jaguars - W
Giants - W

freddyg12 08-26-2010 04:11 PM

[quote=irish;724221]According to Boswell in today's Post, in the past 20 years, 18 teams have gone 4-12 and switched coaches. Their avg record is 7-9 so yes, I am being optimistic.[/quote]

True. Boswell's argument was interesting in that I think it could be turned on its head just the same. Over the past 5-6 years or so each year at least 1 team makes a drastic worst-first turnaround. Of course most of the bad teams don't because they are that bad to begin with. But there is always a team or two poised to make a big leap in wins.

Coaching or a key personel move are often at the core of those turnarounds. I'm not sold that this team is ready for that big a year, so I'll agree that 9-7 is optimistic. I would be really shocked if this team can't win 6 games. Sadly even that is an improvement.

GTripp0012 08-26-2010 04:44 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;724239]I am going out on a limb and say we go 11-5 (5-1) in the division including a W over Minnesota. Carolina whipped up on them last year when they were playing well. Sidney Rice wont be 100%. Brett Favre wont have the same year he had last year and Percy Harvin might get a migraine during the game.[/quote]If we go 5-1 in division, I think 11-5 would almost be a disappointment. Our non-division opponents include: Detroit, St. Louis, Tampa, Houston w/o Cushing, and Chicago. If we went 3-2 against that group, it would be a major disappointment.

We have a very hard schedule, but it's almost entirely due to the NFC East being so strong this year. They are the teams that know our strengths and weaknesses the best, and I don't think it's a coincidence that we went winless against them this past year. I think even a 3-3 record (which we had accomplished in both 2007 and 2008) should be good enough to make some noise this year. 5-1 should win us the division, and comfortably.

GTripp0012 08-26-2010 04:47 PM

If we beat Dallas in Week 1 though, I feel very good about the chances of 3+ division wins. (Being 1/3 of the way there doesn't hurt).

Like last year's 4th place schedule, all we need to do is break even with everyone else in the division, and we're leavin'. A lot of my prediction for 11 wins in 2009 was based off an assumption that we were good enough to win 3 or 4 NFC East games. You all saw how that turned out.

aceinthehouse 08-26-2010 04:53 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;724300]If we go 5-1 in division, I think 11-5 would almost be a disappointment. Our non-division opponents include: Detroit, St. Louis, Tampa, Houston w/o Cushing, and Chicago. If we went 3-2 against that group, it would be a major disappointment.

We have a very hard schedule, but it's almost entirely due to the NFC East being so strong this year. They are the teams that know our strengths and weaknesses the best, and I don't think it's a coincidence that we went winless against them this year. I think even a 3-3 record (which we had accomplished in both 2007 and 2008) should be good enough to make some noise this year. 5-1 should win us the division, and comfortably.[/quote]

If we can go 5-1 in the Division GT..then my 14-2 prediction won't be too far off.

Kinda funny,but in my 14-2 prediction? Our 2 losses are the Bears and Titans on the road...(Both winnable games)

The question imo is...simply?
Can we beat the Vikings,Packers and Colts in our house?
Most will say...we just ain't good enough. (and they could be right)
Having a franchise QB can literally change a franchise though.(let alone a HOF type coach)

If we can win even 2 of those 3...This team can beat anybody imo...

If we can,this team can beat anybody and win the SB.
It's that simple imo...

Dirtbag59 08-26-2010 04:53 PM

I'd be happy with 5-13. maybe one day we'll go 10-8 but for now we have to pace ourselves.

Chief X_Phackter 08-26-2010 04:56 PM

[quote=NoviSkins;724217]Good Observations, I think we'll get win between 9-11 games. I think the biggest x factor is the O-Line health. Great optimism before the season even starts Irish (at best).[/quote]

You mean x_phackter?

I predict 10 and the playoffs... injuries or not. We are the most optimistic fan base in the world...

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-26-2010 04:59 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;724300]If we go 5-1 in division, I think 11-5 would almost be a disappointment. Our non-division opponents include: Detroit, St. Louis, Tampa, Houston w/o Cushing, and Chicago. If we went 3-2 against that group, it would be a major disappointment.

We have a very hard schedule, but it's almost entirely due to the NFC East being so strong this year. They are the teams that know our strengths and weaknesses the best, and I don't think it's a coincidence that we went winless against them this past year. I think even a 3-3 record (which we had accomplished in both 2007 and 2008) should be good enough to make some noise this year. 5-1 should win us the division, and comfortably.[/quote]

I agree with you, but you know its the Redskins, we always find a way.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-26-2010 05:00 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;724306]I'd be happy with 5-13. maybe one day we'll go 10-8 but for now we have to pace ourselves.[/quote]

Nice one Dirtbag

CRedskinsRule 08-26-2010 05:02 PM

We don't beat Indy in the start of the season, I don't care where it's played. Just ain't happening. I'll be syked for the re-match tho'

Dirtbag59 08-26-2010 05:03 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;724310]Nice one Dirtbag[/quote]

Thanks, I was scared that one was going to go unnoticed. Kind of like Marko Mitchell's amazing ability.

aceinthehouse 08-26-2010 05:12 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;724312]We don't beat Indy in the start of the season, I don't care where it's played. Just ain't happening. I'll be syked for the re-match tho'[/quote]

You could be right...

I guess I'm probably one of the few Redskin fans that thinks this team "COULD" be great in such a short transition in 1 year.

I'll know by game 1...
I have us dropping 40 pt's on the cowboys in a win...shhhhh (you didn't hear that) lol

CRedskinsRule 08-26-2010 05:15 PM

[quote=aceinthehouse;724319]You could be right...

I guess I'm probably one of the few Redskin fans that thinks this team "COULD" be great in such a short transition in 1 year.

I'll know by game 1...
I have us dropping 40 pt's on the cowboys in a win...shhhhh (you didn't hear that) lol[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I can see greatness ahead. I just think Indy early in the season is an extremely difficult outing.

jgalecpa 08-26-2010 05:19 PM

I think McNabb should be good for three extra wins, but not if he's hurt.

realistically, 7-9; 8-8 or 9-7 is the most to expect.

aceinthehouse 08-26-2010 05:26 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;724320]Don't get me wrong, I can see greatness ahead. I just think Indy early in the season is an extremely difficult outing.[/quote]

Oh yea..I agree.

Manning is the General of Generals out there...I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB command the field like him.

I'm hoping we can beat them at home,but I would never bet on that one...Manning is just that good.

aceinthehouse 08-26-2010 05:35 PM

[quote=jgalecpa;724321]I think McNabb should be good for three extra wins, but not if he's hurt.

realistically, 7-9; 8-8 or 9-7 is the most to expect.[/quote]

Our QB play has been so pathetic the last decade imo...jgalecpa
I'm not sure if Grossman would be good for 3 more wins,from what we've had. (I'm kidding..but not by much)

One of the reasons I'm looking for Rex behind the 1st team Offense against the jets.

people hate on Rex Grossman for a lot of things. mainly his INT's.

But I'll tell you guys one thing...He doesn't play scared...He may screw up..but the boy will sling that ball down the field while throwing caution to the wind. (We just need to protect him some)

Turnovers are a bad thing and I know that. But give me a QB that PLAYS to win the ball game over a QB who plays to prevent being yanked from the game anytime.

I won't even say his name..you know who I'm talking about.

I'm actually kinda excited to see Rex with the 1st team.
Won't that be funny as hell,if we start kicking the crap out of the jets with our backup QB...?

I bet the Jets give Revis his Contract at halftime,if this happens...lololololol

Monkeydad 08-26-2010 05:42 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;724276]Hate to agree with irish and spill the Kool-Aid, but our schedule based on last years records is the 8th hardest. The silver lining is that Dall-ass is 3rd, the Giants are 7th and the Iggles 9th.

[URL="http://www.capperspicks.com/blog/nfl/2010-strength-of-schedule-50519/"]2010 NFL Strength Of Schedule - (SOS), nfl schedules, fantasy football[/URL]

It's real early, but here's what I see:

Cowboys - W
Texans - W
@ Rams - W
@ Eagles - L
Packers - L
Colts - L
@ Bears - W
@ Lions - W
Eagles - W
@ Titans - L
Vikings - L
@ Giants - L
Buccaneers - W
@ Cowboys - L
@ Jaguars - W
Giants - W[/quote]

What, you have Donovan laying an egg in Philly? No way.

davy 08-26-2010 06:46 PM

What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?!

Lotus 08-26-2010 06:55 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;724320]Don't get me wrong, I can see greatness ahead. I just think Indy early in the season is an extremely difficult outing.[/quote]

Psst...Manning is a hack, the Colts are a bunch of losers who never win anything.

Skins 85, Colts 3. You heard it here first.

tryfuhl 08-26-2010 06:57 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;724236]Shanahan's records in denver his last three years were 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8.

Anythings possible - look at what the Jets did last year (albeit with a ridiculously easy schedule). Every year one or two teams catch the league off guard. I'm expecting a 7-9 season and hoping for 9-7: anything better than that is simply unrealistic.[/quote]

So a few around .500 seasons means that he can't turn that around and do well again? Paging Bill Cowher..

GusFrerotte 08-26-2010 07:17 PM

[quote=aceinthehouse;724157]Although we have tough opponents this season drawing the AFC South and NFC North,it couldn't be setup any better for a Playoff run imo...

ace[/quote]

Sorry bud, this is a tough schedule. The Lions look improved believe it or not, and we didn't play the Rams too well last season also if you remember. I know it is a different coach, system, etc, but my point being you can't take anything for granted in our schedue. Indy and Green Bay are possible if probable losses. Minnesota could be a win for us. Chicago and Detroit are toss ups. Same with the Jags. Intradivisionally we suck since Norv. On top of that we still have work to be done with our own team. A playoff run can very well be in the cards, but I don't consider our schedule to be really all that soft.

Gmanc711 08-26-2010 09:36 PM

The one thing I'll say, is our schedule is great compared to the rest of the NFC East. Now, we finished 4th last year, so that helps... but looking at our non-divisional opponents we have:

@ STL
@ DET
@ TEN
@ JAX
@ CHI
H HOU
H TB
H MIN
H GB
H INDY

Out of that list, you'd have to think the top teams are Indy, GB, Minnesota and Houston/Tennessee.

The fact that all those games outside of Tennessee are home games, gives me hope that we might be able to steal a few games against some good teams... if we can beat some of the teams we "should" beat (granted we were 4-12 so until I see us play, maybe that "should" is "nobody" ... but regardless, our schedule is real favorable compared to the rest of the division.