Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Farewell to Lisa Hillary (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=38208)

stevep 05-06-2013 08:51 AM

Re: Farewell to Lisa Hillary

[quote=FRPLG;1006857]And you decided to come to an active football forum to respond to a 2 1/2 year old thread with 8 posts to defend thy lady's honor?[/quote]

Just happened to see it dude...and yes, I actually am pretty cool with her...

stevep 05-06-2013 08:55 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1006889]Well...hope she's happy in that hellhole she's working in. Was it worth it, Lisa?

Dude...lol...nobody likes a hater..hating's for losers. Philly is actually a cool city... like it waay more than DC at times. Now, I am in agreement with this other Lisa Hillary...NICE!!! Go Caps!!

Monkeydad 05-06-2013 10:12 AM

I live in PA so I can speak about Philly honestly. I have been in Philly several times, I live about an hour and a half from it.

Philly is a hellhole. They have some great history but the current state of the city is...hellhole. I'd take DC over Philly any day.

DynamiteRave 05-06-2013 12:38 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1007901]I live in PA so I can speak about Philly honestly. I have been in Philly several times, I live about an hour and a half from it.

Philly is a hellhole. They have some great history but the current state of the city is...hellhole. I'd take DC over Philly any day.[/quote]

I used to date someone in Philly so I was there pretty often and the city itself is just terrifying. DC looks like Beverly Hills in comparison.

Philly and inner city Baltimore are pretty comparable in regards to the state of the city.

I do like the Philly street art though. Some of it is pretty breathtaking.

NC_Skins 05-08-2013 09:35 AM

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YHHDclOq2ZY/UIGXmIe0XoI/AAAAAAAADy0/6OznW553cZU/s640/pauad-meme-generator-excuse-me-wtf-is-this-shit-3ae845_u18chan.jpg[/IMG]

Monkeydad 05-08-2013 11:08 AM

The offseason.

stevep 05-13-2013 08:16 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1007901]I live in PA so I can speak about Philly honestly. I have been in Philly several times, I live about an hour and a half from it.

Philly is a hellhole. They have some great history but the current state of the city is...hellhole. I'd take DC over Philly any day.[/quote]

Wow...I wouldnt! LOL...this sounds like East Coast hate. Im from Southern Cali and lived in both Philly and the DC area. Philly is a beautiful city with the parks, the museums, the Ben Franklin Parkway, Kelly Drive. The architecture is awesome and to compare a dynamic city to basically an overgrown hood like Baltimore is crazy! LOL...ppl in LA hate on San Fran because most ppl love San Fran and talk crap about LA at times about it but SF is a beautiful city. DC has spots that are downright trashy looking. Its not near the size of Philly or as much to do. Dont hate on a city just because u feel inferior...not a good look

stevep 05-13-2013 08:21 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1007935]I used to date someone in Philly so I was there pretty often and the city itself is just terrifying. DC looks like Beverly Hills in comparison.

Philly and inner city Baltimore are pretty comparable in regards to the state of the city.

I do like the Philly street art though. Some of it is pretty breathtaking.[/quote]

Thats stupid to say, ma'am. DC has basically nothing! Its not even really a "city", itts more of a collection of a few sections, most u wouldnt want to visit. LOL...like I said im from Cali and used to live in DC. Just recently moved to Philly area and I love it!! Such an awesome city with beautiful sections and plenty to do. People are great too...sure u have bad sections everywhere but there are incredibly picturesque areas in Philly. I guess reason so many ppl visit...especially all the festivals. Dont hate

JoeRedskin 05-13-2013 08:56 AM

DC has "nothing"????

Washington Monument, Smithsonian and its associated museums, the Capital, the White House, the Vietnam Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, majestic architecture at every turn, the National Mall, Georgetown, etc.

Never lived in Philly, grew up in the DC burbs, lived in Baltimore for the last 25 years. So, all I can say is Baltimore has several nice neighborhoods and the Inner Harbor but is essentially, as was said, "an overgrown 'hood." My experience with Philly is limited to one or two trips, its reputation and meeting some residents. I will say you are the first person who has spoken so glowingly of it. Both my own experience and those current or former residents I have spoken to have a reaction closer to DRave's.

MTK 05-13-2013 09:00 AM

Philly over DC??

:doh:

ArtMonkDrillz 05-13-2013 10:03 AM

If Philly was so great Will's mom would have never made him go live with his aunty and uncle in a town called Bel Air

JoeRedskin 05-13-2013 10:10 AM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;1008863]If Philly was so great Will's mom would have never made him go live with his aunty and uncle in a town called Bel Air[/quote]

... and there you have it. Definitive, irrefutable prove of the point.

Chico23231 05-13-2013 10:19 AM

DC is a way underrated city imo...the suburbs just effin suck.

Ive been to Philly several times mostly for concerts and a lil sightseeing and came away thinking Philly was much better than I anticipated. People were great and I thought the city was unique. South Philly is an effing sh*thole, like much worse than the bad areas of Baltimore. Ive been to Baltimore and spent some decent time there. Baltimore has like a 10 block radius which is cool, the rest is the hoodest of hood. So in wrap up

DC > Philly > Baltimore > Offseason

JoeRedskin 05-13-2013 02:26 PM

big LOL at ">Offseason"

Big ups on that.

Also, anyone notice that the real black out of "off-season" seems to start earlier under the CBA. It used to be that there was a legitimate trickle of football info up to and shortly after the 1st of June and then a dearth until training camp? Now, at least to me, it seems like their really hasn't been any news since the draft. It used to be that May had [I]somethng[/I]. Now, it seems I need to curl up in the fetal position four weeks earlier!

Schneed10 05-13-2013 02:45 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1008868]DC is a way underrated city imo...the suburbs just effin suck.

Ive been to Philly several times mostly for concerts and a lil sightseeing and came away thinking Philly was much better than I anticipated. People were great and I thought the city was unique. South Philly is an effing sh*thole, like much worse than the bad areas of Baltimore. Ive been to Baltimore and spent some decent time there. Baltimore has like a 10 block radius which is cool, the rest is the hoodest of hood. So in wrap up

DC > Philly > Baltimore > Offseason[/quote]

Philadelphia is among the leaders nationwide in murders and violent crime, and the fans of the sports teams have a knucklehead reputation, those two things combined with anecdotal accounts from people who've visited the city a handful of times give the city a bad rap.

And then there's your description here, which is also true. Philly is a city of neighborhoods just like any other city. If you go to the historic district then you're in an extremely nice section - great history and very high end residential living right nearby in Olde City and Rittenhouse Square. It also has an up and coming restaurant scene - tons of celebrity chefs starting restaurants. It also has one of the best micro-brew scenes in the country with Victory Brewing, Yards, Dogfishhead and Flying Fish all with a brew-pub presence in the city.

But if you head into South Philadelphia it looks like what you saw on Rocky and the people are assholes. If you head to North or West Philadelphia you get into some gang-infested areas that are flat out dangerous. But keep going to the Northeast and it's working class, down to the Chestnut Hill neighborhood which looks a lot like Richmond's West End (high end suburbia within city limits).

You can get whatever experience you want. If you're a rube coming into the city, know where you should be and know where you shouldn't. If you came away thinking Philly is a shithole, it's because your dumbass didn't do your research well enough to keep yourself safe. Same story in DC, Baltimore, anywhere.