Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post's Wise Suspended for Hoax Tweet (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=38209)

jbcjr14 08-31-2010 04:52 PM

Post's Wise Suspended for Hoax Tweet

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ombudsman-blog/2010/08/post_columnist_mike_wise_suspe.html"]Wow, what an idiot.[/URL]

Maybe should move this to the Parking Lot...although Wise does do some Redskins reporting/stories.

diehardskin2982 08-31-2010 05:03 PM

Re: Post's Wise Suspended for Hoax Tweet

It's totally his fault and the radio gig has made him feel he has the right to pull such a dumb move.

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 05:05 PM

While integrity is important common sense should prevail. He wasn't fired and didn't deserve to be. All will be well.

MTK 08-31-2010 05:06 PM

He seems too smart to be pulling dumb stuff like this

firstdown 08-31-2010 05:07 PM

People get suspended over an F*&*ing tweet. They are gay to start with now its double down gay. This comes from a guy who has never sent or received a text. That is also gay to me.

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 05:11 PM

[quote=firstdown;726196]People get suspended over an F*&*ing tweet. They are gay to start with now its double down gay. This comes from a guy who has never sent or received a text. That is also gay to me.[/quote]

you've never even RECEIVED a text? do you have that feature turn off?

BleedBurgundy 08-31-2010 05:33 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;726202]you've never even RECEIVED a text? do you have that feature turn off?[/quote]

Nah, this is FD's phone:

[IMG]http://www.seefirstblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/old-cellphone.jpg[/IMG]

MTK 08-31-2010 05:42 PM

[quote=firstdown;726196][B]People get suspended over an F*&*ing tweet.[/B] They are gay to start with now its double down gay. This comes from a guy who has never sent or received a text. That is also gay to me.[/quote]

Welcome to 2010 Gramps.

Swarley 08-31-2010 05:44 PM

He would have made a valid point if he wasnt a journalist himself... Instead it's just a stupid move on his point.

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 05:55 PM

As a member of the media (though no longer in the area of reporting news), I think what Wise did was juvenile, petty, and out of line (and not all that surprising from what I've heard of Wise).

People expect news and information instantly these days (and there's basically nothing more instant than Twitter). It's a challenge for members of the media to satisfy the increasingly instant needs of the public for information, and sometimes in a rush to get information out the information may end up being incomplete or even inaccurate. But that can even happen when a reporter is working several months on a story. Mistakes do happen.

Still, I know for a fact that every credible media source understands the impact of platforms like Twitter and is careful to make sure they are comfortable with the validity of the information they post, as they are representing not only themselves but also their employer. If information ends up being inaccurate or wrong, that can happen and, as in the case of Tim Cowlishaw and his mistaken Darrelle Revis tweet last week, the reporter will usually own up to it.

Even when I post something here, I always make sure I'm confident enough in the info I have to post it. I've been wrong plenty of times but it's not from making up info.

Wise has, in my opinion, tossed aside nearly all credibility he ever had by doing this.

InsaneBoost 08-31-2010 06:00 PM

I dislike most of the WP so I'll just smile and continue my life :)

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-31-2010 06:21 PM

Not a very smart move for a journalist, and completely wrong and unethical. Twitter (though I do ot following anyones accounts) is a completely universal way to get out information. Although not to defend him, I have seen a few tweets be reported then later retracted for being wrong information or just trying to be first in the world of instant media.

Swarley 08-31-2010 06:26 PM

[quote=firstdown;726196]People get suspended over an F*&*ing tweet. They are gay to start with now its double down gay. This comes from a guy who has never sent or received a text. That is also gay to me.[/quote]

LOL talk about grumpy

text messaging is liberating the less I can hear annoying peoples voices the better. Texting allows me to do that since sometimes you just have to communicate with such people.

not to mention sending texts to a lady friend while doing something else (i.e. reading this site) is much easier than listening reacting and responding to her every word.

DCtoAZ 08-31-2010 06:54 PM

that guy is so annoying .. he thinks he so cool ... everyone on Washington Post Live is pretty much "strugggeeelin" (Joe Namath Version)

GhettoDogAllStars 08-31-2010 08:20 PM

How ironic he was trying to, "comment on the lowered standards of accuracy for information shared on social media," and his employer would not stand for such low standards of accuracy, so they suspended him.