Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   F...Toyota (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=38573)

cpayne5 09-16-2010 03:44 PM

Re: F...Toyota

[quote=mredskins;734368]If you search the Toyota threads they are out there and no it is not a widespread issue.

The thing is Toyota and Toyota brag and brag how the cars are built so well...etc etc and in all reality the newer ones are not as reliable as the old ones.

I am just fustrated today beacasue A) my car broke way before it should have and b) i am eating a ton of crow at home becasue no one in my family really likes the car but I convinced them to get on the reliability factor, which is now just a huge egg on my face.[/quote]

I completely understand. It's never fun to stare a multi-thousand $$$ repair bill in the face.

cpayne5 09-16-2010 03:48 PM

Does your 4R have 57k miles or 62k miles? Was it not the diff like you said in your T4R.org posts???

BTW, there are better forums for 4Rs out there. They're nothing but a bunch of grocery getters on that site. Check out Yota-Tech or Toyota120 if you want to talk to people who know what they're talking about.

mredskins 09-16-2010 03:56 PM

[quote=cpayne5;734371]Does your 4R have 57k miles or 62k miles? Was it not the diff like you said in your T4R.org posts???

BTW, there are better forums for 4Rs out there. They're nothing but a bunch of grocery getters on that site. Check out Yota-Tech or Toyota120 if you want to talk to people who know what they're talking about.[/quote]

Actually I am at 57k which was a relief, so hopefully they cover it (still waiting), my wife's RDX is at 62k. They are saying the transmission is wearing out the rear diff. The problem is the tranny the rear diff is the symptom.

I am a grocery getter!!!!! I fit in perfect.

cpayne5 09-16-2010 04:00 PM

[quote=mredskins;734374][B]Actually I am at 57k which was a relief, so hopefully they cover it (still waiting), my wife's RDX is at 62k. They are saying the transmission is wearing out the rear diff. The problem is the tranny the rear diff is the symptom. [/B]

I am a grocery getter!!!!! I fit in perfect.[/quote]

I'd love to hear their explanation on that. It doesn't make any sense.

lol @ the second part

cpayne5 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

Also, the only way they won't cover it if they find signs of abuse. If you've taken care of your vehicle, there's nothing to worry about.

mredskins 09-16-2010 04:20 PM

[quote=cpayne5;734375]I'd love to hear their explanation on that. It doesn't make any sense.

lol @ the second part[/quote]

Who knows it baffled me a bit and I said it to my mechanic guy (been going to him for like 10 years) he said maybe they are trying to grab more warranty dollars, who the f knows I like to avoid the dealer at all cost.

I just got off with the phone again with them and they have to keep it longer to figure it out, know they are thinking wheel bearings. Who the F knows???

I will have a clear answer by noon tomorrow according to my service adviser. Which tells me he is putting another Tech on it that understands it better.

In the end I am in a bad place.

Dirtbag59 09-16-2010 04:44 PM

[quote=cpayne5;734367]mredskins -

Can you describe how the vehicle is acting, exactly? Did the dealer say that the transmission is "blown"?[/quote]

Actually the dealer is a Cowoby fan and upon inspection of the car, he proceeded to tell mredskins that the cars transmission was 'blowed out.'

MTK 09-16-2010 04:56 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;734385]Actually the dealer is a Cowoby fan and upon inspection of the car, he proceeded to tell mredskins that the cars transmission was 'blowed out.'[/quote]

that literally made me laugh

Monkeydad 09-16-2010 05:18 PM

[quote=mredskins;734379]Who knows it baffled me a bit and I said it to my mechanic guy (been going to him for like 10 years) he said maybe they are trying to grab more warranty dollars, who the f knows I like to avoid the dealer at all cost.

I just got off with the phone again with them and they have to keep it longer to figure it out, know they are thinking wheel bearings. Who the F knows???

I will have a clear answer by noon tomorrow according to my service adviser. Which tells me he is putting another Tech on it that understands it better.

In the end I am in a bad place.[/quote]

How does anyone, especially a mechanic, confuse wheel bearings with a tranny?

cpayne5 09-16-2010 05:57 PM

[quote=Buster;734389]How does anyone, especially a mechanic, confuse wheel bearings with a tranny?[/quote]

Well, I imagine mredskins was quoting the service advisor, who generally aren't the most technically literate folks in the world. That's why they're service advisors.

cpayne5 09-16-2010 06:04 PM

Wheel bearings actually makes sense, given what you said over at T4R.org

It's less of a problem, but a problem that may not be covered under warranty, unfortunately. It may end up costing you more than if you actually had a bad tranny.

mredskins 09-16-2010 06:42 PM

[quote=cpayne5;734396]Well, I imagine mredskins was quoting the service advisor, who generally aren't the most technically literate folks in the world. That's why they're service advisors.[/quote]

Exactly right he is "guessing " what the issue maybe and just going off sound; wheel bearing could be it.

My mechanic says he sure it is either the axle bearings (different from the wheel bearings) or the differential either way you have to tear down the hub to get to either.

Well anyways I won't know until tomorrow because Toyota needs another mechanics opinion to determine the problem.

I had to stop posting on Toyota forum about my issue they were all getting mad at me because I was saying a Toyota failed. I felt like a chore boy who said the priest molested him and now the congregation is mad at him.

Monkeydad 09-16-2010 06:52 PM

SO wait, is your vehicle drivable?

If the tranny nuked itself, you'd know for sure.

mredskins 09-16-2010 07:00 PM

it is drivable but very loud Toyota has it over night. When my Grand Cherokee's tranny went it was instant it started slipping and making noise. to be honest it is looking more and more not like the tranny.

I am hoping differential at this point because that is under warranty.

What really sucks is i have the cash to fix but we have really been pinch pennies in my household the past 2 years so we can move so dropping a couple grand on a car that was suppose to last 200k miles is very disheartening.

cpayne5 09-16-2010 08:46 PM

[quote=mredskins;734413]Exactly right he is "guessing " what the issue maybe and just going off sound; wheel bearing could be it.

My mechanic says he sure it is either the axle bearings (different from the wheel bearings) or the differential either way you have to tear down the hub to get to either.

Well anyways I won't know until tomorrow because Toyota needs another mechanics opinion to determine the problem.
[B]
I had to stop posting on Toyota forum about my issue they were all getting mad at me because I was saying a Toyota failed. I felt like a chore boy who said the priest molested him and now the congregation is mad at him.[/B][/quote]

Hmmm, I don't know where you get that. I thought they were actually being a lot nicer to you than they have to others in the past. [url=http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/71997-buying-advice-07-a.html]Buying Advice '07 - Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum[/url]

Anyway, if it's axle bearings you're looking at about $200 per side plus labor. That's not too bad. If they're nice they'll try to get Toyota to pay for it. They're more likely to pay for axle bearings than wheel bearings.

I'd be surprised if it your diff. It sounds like a bearing to me. Unless your diff is dry, I doubt that it would go bad so soon, under your driving habits.