Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Flag Football (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=39030)

44ever 10-07-2010 07:40 PM

Flag Football

Anyone here play or coach 7 on 7 flag football? Im coaching a team this year, its my first time and could use some help putting together some Defense. Thanks.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-07-2010 07:52 PM

Re: Flag Football

I play and basically on defense it's easier than you'd think. We've only lost one this year and it's really about match-ups on the D. Basically NO ONE runs in our league, so maybe our's is different, but just have your best athlete at safety and then match up each person based on speed and size for each receiver.

724Skinsfan 10-07-2010 08:33 PM

We had great success using our fastest guy (yours truly) as a pass rusher.

MTK 10-07-2010 09:42 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;744454]We had great success using our fastest guy (yours truly) as a pass rusher.[/quote]

Exactly what we did in college. We did some zone blitzing with our corners and we would rack up sacks like crazy. 1993 Champs, oh yeah.

Went back to back but came up short in the Super Bowl in '94. :(

ArtMonkDrillz 10-07-2010 10:31 PM

[quote=Mattyk;744467]Exactly what we did in college. We did some zone blitzing with our corners and we would rack up sacks like crazy. 1993 Champs, oh yeah.

Went back to back but came up short in the Super Bowl in '94. :([/quote]Geez, I was 11 when you were winning championships in college.

FRPLG 10-07-2010 11:19 PM

The name of the game is speed. Get your fastest players near the ball carrier however you can.

One good thing to do is use people in pass rushing situations to get straight up field and flush a QB one way. It cuts the field in half and makes down field coverage much easier. But the key is that someone has to get to the QB quickly. And practice flag pulling like its going out of business.

44ever 10-08-2010 08:07 AM

Thanks for the replies brothers. Our biggest challenge is we are the smallest youngest team in the league. After reading your posts, I will try and develop more plays going after the QB. Thank you very much for the feedback.

FRPLG 10-08-2010 08:35 AM

Size means close to nothing in flag football.

Put your best athlete at safety and have him basically Sean Taylor back there. Take the next fastest kid and put him on the left side of the line and have him flush the QB to his right (assuming he is a right handed QB). Drop two kids into zonish coverage on that same side and force the QB to make a play running against his natural motion to nobody open.

Lotus 10-08-2010 09:08 AM

Asante Samuel plays flag football on Sundays. Ask him.

MTK 10-08-2010 09:35 AM

[quote=FRPLG;744504]The name of the game is speed. Get your fastest players near the ball carrier however you can.

One good thing to do is use people in pass rushing situations to get straight up field and flush a QB one way. It cuts the field in half and makes down field coverage much easier. But the key is that someone has to get to the QB quickly. And practice flag pulling like its going out of business.[/quote]

Yup, try to overload one side with a blitz and spy the QB with someone playing off the line on the opposite side of the blitz if you can.

GTripp0012 10-08-2010 01:43 PM

I'm playing a two-deep look with two rushers and three guys underneath right now. It works really well, but the big thing is that the rushers are allowed to go right at the snap. Most quarterbacks can't do much with two people bearing down on them.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-08-2010 02:03 PM

[quote=44ever;744537]Thanks for the replies brothers. Our biggest challenge is we are the smallest youngest team in the league. After reading your posts, I will try and develop more plays going after the QB. Thank you very much for the feedback.[/quote]

Can you give us a quick run-down of your rules?

KLHJ2 10-08-2010 02:10 PM

Give me your email and I will scan you my playbook. I have to dig it up first though.

44ever 10-08-2010 05:43 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;744659]Can you give us a quick run-down of your rules?[/quote]

You can see our league at FCAASPORTS.COM We are the Southwest Conference. Our name is New Testament Christian. Everything including the rules are there.

We are in last with 0 wins. But we are getting better each week. All my kids are in middle school with only 2 in high school, and only 2 have ever played in a league. Most teams have at least 50% high School players and 3-5 years exp. So its been a battle to compete.

I have managed to put together a pretty good offense so we have been scoring but will take any advice I can get.