Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=39313)

MTK 10-19-2010 11:53 AM

Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/lame-monday-night-game-beats-classic-alcs-game-in-ratings/]Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

Damn, just goes to show how powerful the NFL is

skinsfaninok 10-19-2010 12:13 PM

Re: Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

Lol might as well merge the threads matty

skinsfan69 10-19-2010 12:31 PM

That game was a complete dog. Jacksonville has to be the worst 3-3 team I've ever seen. Only reason I watched it cause I had coin on it. Jags might as well move to LA. But even if I didn't bet on it there is no way I was watching baseball. :sleep:

BringBackJoeT 10-19-2010 12:57 PM

I'm not sure this really says too much. As sports and television goes, Monday Night Football is an institution, and an early to mid-season match-up is always going to do well, regardless of the featured teams or what other sports event it may be up against. Some people on the board may be old enough to remember that viewership was still very good for the Redskins-Giants MNF game that was up against Game 7 of the 1986 Mets-Red Sox series, a series that ranks as one of the more notable ones in MLB history.

I'm actually surprised that MLB would host one of their playoff games on Monday night.

Monkeydad 10-19-2010 01:20 PM

[quote=Mattyk;749968][URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/lame-monday-night-game-beats-classic-alcs-game-in-ratings/"]Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings | ProFootballTalk.com[/URL]

Damn, just goes to show how powerful the NFL is[/quote]

This is precisely why they need to do everything they can to avoid a lockout. Right now, they're unstoppable.

But, as with other sports' strikes and stoppages...they lost fans. Some forgot their outrage and came back but I still know a guy who refuses to watch a baseball game after the 1994-95 and he's stuck to it.

The NFL will not fail, but it would at least set back the great thing they have going where everyone is making a ton of money. It's a lose-lose for all sides, except maybe the TV networks that have contracts where they'll get paid anyways.

aceinthehouse 10-19-2010 02:35 PM

Well,lets see...What do I watch?

Do I watch the game that has no Parity,no Salary cap and plays a 162 games in a season...Best out of 7 games during the Playoffs and generally has the same teams in the playoffs with the exception of the Texas Rangers? Has a 7th inning stretch? Very unphysical and violentless game with the exception to a "Hit Batsman" or the occasional brawl that follows? And a score that happens every hour?

Or do I watch a game that has equal Parity,a Salary cap,everyone hitting each other like car accidents and not only possibly lots of points,but different variations of points that can be scored such as a FG,TD,Safety and 2-pt conversions? And each game that means everything to a team, as if they were on life support? As well as a non-controlled team possession as it can swing either way on who has the ball to score as well as being able to score on both the Offensive and Defensive side of the Ball....rather than the continuous, repetitive always the same 3-Strikes your out method?

Gosh...tough call...

mredskins 10-19-2010 02:46 PM

So who is second to the NFL right now? I guess the NBA.

tdSKINS1 10-19-2010 02:50 PM

[quote=mredskins;750032]So who is second to the NFL right now? I guess the NBA.[/quote]

I would say it is NCAA Football no doubt about it. There is nothing like a full slate of great college football except a Skins game.

skinsfaninok 10-19-2010 02:56 PM

Baseball is a joke and has been for 10 years or so. And I love the NBA but every season you can name the best teams in the league. Lakers, Celts, Heat (especially now). We all know it's LA vs Mia in the finals. Look out for my THUNDER though, Durant will be a strong MVP candidate. College football is good but still not close to the NFL, and I live in the town of the number 1 team in the country.

aceinthehouse 10-19-2010 03:01 PM

2nd to the NFL....

Is NCAA Basketball and probably for some of the same reasons...

March Madness Tourny and single elimination
usually most teams play anywhere from 27-33 games depending on those classic tourny's during the season. (Like the Pizza Hut classic or whatever early in the year)

The point is people...I and many otehrs don't want to see 2 teams face each other for a 5 or 7 game series...we just don't.

We also as fans don't want to have to watch 82 games or 162 games a season..we just won't.

As true fans,we want to watch EVERY GAME or try hard too....

People take off work to watch the Superbowl...or the AFC or NFC Championship game..

I've taken off for a wild card round...WHY? Cause if I miss it...it's over
There's no game 2 or game 3...

And what sports have multi game Playoff series as well as very long seasons...?
well,lets see..

NBA
MLB
NHL

NFL football and NCAA basketball are the 2 hottest Sports in the United States...

Geeee.I wonder why?

GusFrerotte 10-19-2010 09:27 PM

Baseball can be exciting if there is a lot of hits/runs, but for the most part you will get a 2-1 or 3-2 game that just drags on.

GusFrerotte 10-19-2010 09:29 PM

Plus Ace has it down pat. Football is speed, and controlled violence all rolled up into one. Baseball suited the nation better when it was a simple republic.

SirClintonPortis 10-19-2010 09:30 PM

Football works well with TV. Baseball does not.

Duffman003 10-19-2010 09:47 PM

Football has a lot of the same teams in the playoffs every year, too. Generally, the Pats, Colts, Steelers, Eagles and Green Bay go to the playoffs.
The Pats and Steelers have combined to win 6 of the past 9 Superbowls. People don't really hate that the same teams go to the playoffs every year, they just don't like baseball.

skinsfaninok 10-19-2010 09:55 PM

Steroids have really killed baseball, fans don't like cheaters and that's the rep baseball has now.. I mean who's The next Great player that will get caught or admit?

The NFL is King and will be for a long time. College football is good except when you have Oklahoma playing North Texas or Florida vs Panhandle State.. I don't ever miss a thunder game but thts because they are right here on TV every night. The NBA reg season is almost as boring as baseballs reg season IMO.