Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Your Opinion on Facebook (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=39353)

CRedskinsRule 10-21-2010 04:13 PM

Re: Your Opinion on Facebook

Don't use FB, but agree with Dirtbag. Almost all my sports updates come either from Twitter (with the right people like Schefter, Rich Campbell and Grant Paulsen) or the Warpath.

MTK 10-21-2010 04:14 PM

I got burned out on Twitter and don't check it nearly as often as I used to. It's great for staying updated in regard to NFL/Redskins news, but once you follow a bunch of different people the news starts to get redundant once everyone catches on to a story or starts re-tweeting stuff.

MTK 10-21-2010 04:15 PM

[quote=Schneed10;750543]Facebook is great. If you want to be a serious nerd and tell everyone what you're doing every minute of the day, you can. And for all your friends who don't want to hear about it, they can hide you from their feed.

If you want to play these social games you can, and if you'd rather not know they exist, you can block them and all the status updates that come with it. Join all the groups you want, or just use it to keep up with friends.

[B]I think there's a reason the site has grown to have so many users, you can get whatever experience you want from it.[/B] Though I do find the privacy issues very aggravating.[/quote]

Good point.

skinsguy 10-21-2010 04:16 PM

I used to HATE Facebook. I actually enjoyed Myspace more because I could customize my page (I had a great Redskins Myspace page!) But, people jumped ship and there was no point in hanging around on Myspace anymore. I should go ahead and just delete Myspace I suppose.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-21-2010 04:16 PM

I won't lie. I love Facebook for my ego and to stalk my friends.

olive523 10-21-2010 04:58 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;750551]I won't lie. I love Facebook for my ego and to stalk my friends.[/quote]

Malcolm- I just read this and wanted to hit the " like" button!

12thMan 10-21-2010 05:27 PM

I was one of those that stuck my nose up at facebook for the longest, until I joined like a year ago. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy it for a variety of reasons, but mainly to stay in touch with friends and colleagues around the country, as well as locally.

In terms of privacy, well, you can control a great deal of that by setting your account in a way that limits access to people you don't want to have it. I try not post too many photos of me drinking or with different female friends (Sorry Buster, I really do like the ladies). It doesn't look good for someone, like me, who has presidential aspirations to always be hammered on facebook.

But seriously, it's here to stay in my opinion. I think for people that are overly concerned about privacy issues shouldn't feel threatned by it. As stated here, it's user friendly and you invite or uninvite as many people as you'd like.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-21-2010 05:35 PM

[quote=12thMan;750566]I was one of those that stuck my nose up at facebook for the longest, until I joined like a year ago. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy it for a variety of reasons, but mainly to stay in touch with friends and colleagues around the country, as well as locally.

In terms of privacy, well, you can control a great deal of that by setting your account in a way that limits access to people you don't want to have it. I try not post too many photos of me drinking or with different female friends (Sorry Buster, I really do like the ladies). It doesn't look good for someone, like me, who has presidential aspirations to always be hammered on facebook.

But seriously, it's here to stay in my opinion. I think for people that are overly concerned about privacy issues shouldn't feel threatned by it. As stated here, it's user friendly and you invite or uninvite as many people as you'd like.[/quote]

Absolutely. I think when they make changes that affects your privacy without you really knowing THAT'S a problem. I have a "Work Friends" group that has only the people I work with (excluding the ones I party with) so that, as you said, people don't see the numerous pictures of me super wasted...

EARTHQUAKE2689 10-21-2010 05:39 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;750544]I'd recommend giving twitter another shot. It's an amazing tool on gamedays. Writers and insiders can get information out quicker when they don't have to write a full story. For example if you want to find out if Haynesworth is playing all you have to do is search for Haynesworth and find a credible source like Rich Campbell. Injury updates during games also get posted faster to twitter. I use to be annoyed by it to, but after using it found out that it's a great tool for sport fans.[/quote]

That part of twitter is fine. It's the average joes who ask everyone to follow them that irks me.

RobH4413 10-21-2010 07:02 PM

It's good to keep in touch with friends/family.

Also, if you get really drunk you can throw a "Sometimes I like to pee with no hands" FB status up. Something good for your mom to comment on the next morning.

SmootSmack 10-29-2010 10:26 AM

This is so effed up

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20021079-504083.html]FarmVille Playing Mom Admits She Killed Infant Who Interrupted Facebook Game - Crimesider - CBS News[/url]

mooby 10-29-2010 10:50 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;753394]This is so effed up

[URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20021079-504083.html"]FarmVille Playing Mom Admits She Killed Infant Who Interrupted Facebook Game - Crimesider - CBS News[/URL][/quote]

Boy I could tell just from that headline that it had to be a really young mother. What a stupid f'n person.

As for Facebook, I definitely left the Myspace bandwagon once it started getting too cluttered up. I'm on FB every day, mostly just to keep up/talk with friends. I don't do the games because that's just not my thing, and I kinda wish I could turn app. requests off because it gets tiring continously declining invitations to be someone's Farmville neighbor on FB.

It's like Schneed pointed out, you can do so many things on it. For me it's just about talking to friends and family, and seriously those of you that think it's a high school thing are just wrong. I've added both of my parents on there, in addition to all my cousins and aunts that I don't get to see very often. It's embarressing when I see my mom on there talking to my little bro and she writes Love You, /bro's name/ at the end of every message like it's an email but hey, that's life.

And it definitely makes me hesitant to post certain things on there. One time I saw my little bro post that cheerleader routine song from Not Another Teen Movie, the one where they're like, we're black, we know it, we shake our big booties and show it, and my mom posted a comment asking him why he was acting black :doh:, and it was then I realized there's just some things I can't put on there anymore. I try to avoid the partying/goodtimes pics so my fam doesn't see them, but also because I don't want potential employers seeing them and thinking I'm some sort of young jackass. It helps that I quit drinking, but I still go to parties and I don't need everybody knowing that on FB anyways.

FB's customization is great too. If you want to keep your profile private, or even just certain parts of your profile private, you can customize everything. You can hide people from your status updates, which is very important, because I'm constantly adding people/etc. and then when they clutter up my feed with constant updates, aka goodnight, good morning, I'm eating breakfast, I'm going to school, I'm in school, college is boring, I'm stressing over a paper that's due, oh no I ran out of cereal, just got back from the store (I bought more cereal!), etc., well that's just generally annoying.

That's part of the reason I don't really do Twitter. I have a Twitter account, and I've added people's feeds on there, but the only people I add on there are celebrities that are cool/not stuck up, athletes, and news guys like Shefter. I still don't check it everyday, and I wouldn't add any of my friends on there, because I can just go to FB if I need to talk to them.

SmootSmack 10-29-2010 10:57 AM

Yeah my cousin, teenage girl, was posting her thoughts on FB. And you know, like I said, teenage girl. So it was all this emotional crap like "I can't believe he broke my heart like that" "I hate my life" I had to sit her down and tell she shouldn't be posting shit like that for all the world to see and for relatives to be worried.

MTK 10-29-2010 11:02 AM

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39855836/ns/technology_and_science-security/]'Firesheep' on Firefox could be used for b-a-a-d - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com[/url]

Kinda scary

mooby 10-29-2010 11:08 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;753409]Yeah my cousin, teenage girl, was posting her thoughts on FB. And you know, like I said, teenage girl. So it was all this emotional crap like "I can't believe he broke my heart like that" "I hate my life" I had to sit her down and tell she shouldn't be posting shit like that for all the world to see and for relatives to be worried.[/quote]

Usually that's their way of crying out for attention, but the only attention they are going to get from that is negative. I'm sure she doesn't hate her life, but eventually people will start thinking, oh she's just depressed a lot, and then you start leaning towards thinking she might be suicidal, and who knows maybe they are, but most of the time they're not.

I see people on there who are always getting mad about their info being all over FB, but they can't even see it's all over FB because they are putting it all over FB. They are either revealing a lot of info in their profile, or their constant status updates lets everybody know what's going on. They just need to be smarter about things they do and say on FB.