Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would it be practical to just (mostly) draft o-line this upcoming year (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=40303)

Redskin Warrior 12-07-2010 11:06 AM

Would it be practical to just (mostly) draft o-line this upcoming year

When we had Williams & Blache we were a top 10 defense but we still couldn't get off the field because the offense couldn't sustain drives. Despite McNabb's mess ups he is moving the ball better than JC did last year. But he also doesn't have the time to make magic happen like he did in Philly. Would it be practical to just (mostly) draft o-line this upcoming draft and fix the trenches before we worry about drafting skill pllayers? Reason being I think it s going take 2-3 years under Allen & Shanny before the Redskins start to turn the ship anyway. So would it be better to replace the LG, C & RG get a solid unit upfront to help McNabb, help the defense stay off the field and rest. What are yall thoughts?

SFREDSKIN 12-07-2010 11:10 AM

Re: Would it be practical to just (mostly) draft o-line this upcoming year

I would sign Logan Mankins, draft a C with the 2nd rounder. Trade the 1st rounder for more picks and get a QB, DE or NT to fill those needs.

MTK 12-07-2010 11:11 AM

Can't just draft on need alone otherwise you end up reaching all over the place. And we have other needs than just OL. Have to fill needs with the draft and with free agency.

KLHJ2 12-07-2010 11:17 AM

There are too many holes. They need to fix the offensive line and get the right personnell for the 3-4. They are either going to have to half ass fill needs on both sides of the ball or neglect one side entirely. I cannot see them neglecting one side entirely so I believe that they will try to put some duct tape on both sides of the ball rather than making either side elite.

Honestly the production from the WR's hasn't been that bad this season. McNabb just doesn't have time to throw.

Personally I believe that they could get away with drafting nothing but offensive lineman next season and waiting another year to fix the defensive front seven as long as the guys that they draft can open holes and pass protect better than what we have now. If the offense could manage 4 touchdowns a game next season then this defense is good enough to hold most victories with the personnel that they have. Sadly, you cannot guarentee that type of production out of a brand new unit.

Redskin Warrior 12-07-2010 11:20 AM

[quote=Mattyk;766437]Can't just draft on need alone otherwise you end up reaching all over the place. And we have other needs than just OL. Have to fill needs with the draft and with free agency.[/quote]

True I do agree but also think totally ignoring the OL has been the Skins downfall also before Trent the only high draft pick we had at OL was Samuels in 98 or 99.

Lotus 12-07-2010 11:21 AM

Both o-line and d-line. Once again our division foes are beating us by dominating up front. We need to feed the front on both sides of the ball.

Redskin Warrior 12-07-2010 11:27 AM

[quote=Lotus;766441]Both o-line and d-line. Once again our division foes are beating us by dominating up front. We need to feed the front on both sides of the ball.[/quote]

Hell yea facing Ware, Tuck, Osi, Cole twice a year is killing us. Getting no pressure Eli, Vick & Romo is killing us too fix the trenches.

Chico23231 12-07-2010 11:28 AM

[quote=Lotus;766441]Both o-line and d-line. Once again our division foes are beating us by dominating up front. We need to feed the front on both sides of the ball.[/quote]

Agree 100%...both the Oline and DLine should be the focus on the offseason. Add a WR and RB and we're gud...

MTK 12-07-2010 11:30 AM

[quote=Redskin Warrior;766440]True I do agree but also think totally ignoring the OL has been the Skins downfall also before Trent the only high draft pick we had at OL was Samuels in 98 or 99.[/quote]

Shanahan already showed last year he's not going to ignore the OL, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

SirClintonPortis 12-07-2010 11:42 AM

You take them when the opportunity presents itself. No reaches, because there's a damn good chance reaching will result in a bust, and another position is also left unimproved along with the O-line. It's just that the past GMs here, for some unfathomable reason, always avoided O-line like they were the plague.

SolidSnake84 12-07-2010 11:46 AM

one draft isnt going to do it alone. I think the O-Line is our biggest need for sure, but we have a horrible defense too. that side needs addressing i think more than the o line.

SFREDSKIN 12-07-2010 11:52 AM

Our problem with the OL is primarily the right side from C to RG. Hopefully Mike Williams can come back next year, draft a C and sign a FA like Mankins. OL problems resolved, then go for the DL. There will be lots of FA available that can be signed and fill needs with.

skinsfan69 12-07-2010 12:09 PM

Gotta take the best player available. This theam is short on talent and we simply can not afford to draft for need.

HolyLandSkinsFan 12-07-2010 12:11 PM

yes, yes and yes. lets stop playing to win each season and try for a multi-year plan to build a sustainable winning franchise.

that starts with the o-line. a mediocre core of WRs, TEs, RBs and QB would be playoff material with an extra 2 seconds - and a stellar O-line can do that. None of the coaches over the last 10 years had the time to let their plays develop because the O-line was well coached, and hard working but undertalented.

on the other hand an all-star cast of WRs, RBs and QB would look like losers with lots of sacks and interceptions due to pressure if the O-line can't give them time.

I say, let the defense rot and go all out for a solid O-line this year. if we can sustain long running drives and pass the ball then our defense would look a whole lot better. they'd also be a lot less tired and stronger if they play less. our defense is actually fine this year - with moral down and too many injuries we get run all over the last few weeks. but before we had too many guys go down our D kept us in games and an O-line would have won it for us.

maybe al can play center ;)

skinsfan69 12-07-2010 12:11 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;766448]one draft isnt going to do it alone. I think the O-Line is our biggest need for sure, but we have a horrible defense too. that side needs addressing i think more than the o line.[/quote]

This team needs 3 full years of solid drafting.