Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Google & Other Search Engine Advertising Info (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41136)

firstdown 01-20-2011 12:38 PM

Google & Other Search Engine Advertising Info

I'm in the process of changing my advertising around to include more advertising on the internet. I've talked to some companies about advertising on Google and other places but I have no clue what I'm doing. Does anyone know of any good books or sites that might be of help in this area or does anyone here work in that field. Its not cheep so I'm trying to learn what I can before making a decision. The companies I have talked with have the same sales info so they are not allot of help.

hooskins 01-20-2011 12:45 PM

Re: Google & Other Search Engine Advertising Info

first, i cant help you too much on that but out of curiosity, what is your business?

firstdown 01-20-2011 12:56 PM

I have an insurance agency.

BDBohnzie 01-20-2011 12:58 PM

Here is a decent breakdown: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_advertising]Online advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

For Google, go straight to the source.
[url]http://adwords.google.com[/url]

firstdown 01-20-2011 01:17 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;779204]Here is a decent breakdown: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_advertising"]Online advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

For Google, go straight to the source.
[URL]http://adwords.google.com[/URL][/quote]

See thats my problem. I know I can build my own add on google and pay everytime some clicks on my add or I can go with a company that pays google for better placement. They get better placement because of their volume and I pay one flat fee per month. When you pay per click you have to pay a good amount per click to get decent placement and then your paying just if someone clicks on your add.

What I'm looking for is someone who knows the ins and outs of advertising on the net thats not trying to sell me advertisement. I'll pay for their info/book, etc on how to advertise. When it was yellow pages and that stuff I knew all the best ways to advertise but now that I'm crossing over I'm not sure. Maybe its like my past advertising I'll just have to waist money until I find what works.

mredskins 01-20-2011 02:01 PM

[quote=firstdown;779203]I have an insurance agency.[/quote]

Not Redneck Fish Charters?

saden1 01-20-2011 02:11 PM

You can do it yourself with Google...don't pay anyone to do what you can do yourself. It's easy to use AdWords...you sign up...specify your business and a few search terms you want people to be able to find your business with, and specify how much money you want to spend each day on ads.

p.s. If you have big insurance companies in the area you may not be able get the best words for cheap.

firstdown 01-20-2011 03:07 PM

[quote=saden1;779227]You can do it yourself with Google...don't pay anyone to do what you can do yourself. It's easy to use AdWords...you sign up...specify your business and a few search terms you want people to be able to find your business with, and specify how much money you want to spend each day on ads.

p.s. If you have big insurance companies in the area you may not be able get the best words for cheap.[/quote]

Thats what I'm debating right now. I know about doing the adds on my own but I'm not sure if that is the best bang for the buck. The only way I know of right now is to try both and track my results. If I use a provider I do have co-op money I can use that will pay for half of the cost.

dmek25 01-20-2011 04:32 PM

[quote=mredskins;779225]Not Redneck Fish Charters?[/quote]
you are learning:)

tryfuhl 01-20-2011 09:22 PM

What's your competition like around there? Are they using AdWords?

When you search for the terms you want to be recognized for where are you showing up in the results? Link to your website? PM if you'd rather.

firstdown 01-21-2011 01:14 PM

Right now I do not show up at all or if I do its way back. When I type in search phrases I get a combination of local agencies, national accounts with 800 numbers, and then links to sites like Netquote were you type in your info and get quotes from multiple agents. Been there done those. For 149 per month I can get 12 key phrases and two different cities and no additional cost per hit.

MTK 01-21-2011 02:19 PM

Honestly, adwords can be very tricky unless you have some serious time and energy to devote to analyzing your results and playing around with the best keywords. I would seek out other forms of advertising myself.

firstdown 01-21-2011 03:24 PM

Well I have talked to two other agents who advertise with the companies that I have talked with. On was very positive and the other was not so positive. It seems if I use a company for my placement if they track it properly then the results are better. At $149 a month I think its worth giving it a try to see what happens. I'm also hiring several telemarketers to cold call. I'm not a big fan of that but I have talked to several agents that are having good success doing that. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Matty when I post here I see a pop up banner for Netquotes which is a site that sells insurance leads. I'm guess that is not random and is some how targeting me in the insurance business. Is that the case? Pretty slick.

MTK 01-21-2011 03:26 PM

Yeah the google ads that pop up here are based on keywords in our posts.

firstdown 01-21-2011 04:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk;779497]Yeah the google ads that pop up here are based on keywords in our posts.[/quote]

It has to key off other stuff then that. I get that Netquote add all the time so it must have someway of relating me to insurance.

hooskins 01-21-2011 04:32 PM

big brother knows what you do and is selling that information to companies. be scared!

firstdown 01-21-2011 04:34 PM

[quote=hooskins;779519]big brother knows what you do and is selling that information to companies. be scared![/quote]

Fine with me thats just free advertisement. I'm not the paranoid government is watching type.

tryfuhl 01-21-2011 07:45 PM

[quote=firstdown;779516]It has to key off other stuff then that. I get that Netquote add all the time so it must have someway of relating me to insurance.[/quote]

reading your cookies and other info