Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PS3 Games Must Have (That Are Not New) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41359)

skinsguy 02-03-2011 04:52 PM

PS3 Games Must Have (That Are Not New)

I'm wanting to expand my PS3 game collection, but I don't really have $50 to go out and buy the latest and greatest game (I usually buy the Madden game new every other year.) But, which games for the PS3 would you recommend getting that might be a couple years old or so? I only seem to be good at the shooter games that I can play on a PC (with a keyboard and mouse.) Here are the games I currently have:

1. Madden (8 & 10)
2. NHL 08
3. Guitar Hero Metallica
4. Guitar Hero Van Halen
5. Guitar Hero Areosmith
6. Tiger Woods 08'
7. Need For Speed (I can't remember which one right now)
8. Tekken
9. NCAA Football 10

Ones I am curious about are Grand Theft Auto IV, the wrestling game with the classic wrestlers, NCAA Basketball or any of the NBA games, whatever you guys suggest. I'm wanting something older that I don't have to pay full price for. Something I can pick up rather cheaply off of eBay, Amazon, or Half.com. Thanks in advance.

Dirtbag59 02-03-2011 06:44 PM

Re: PS3 Games Must Have (That Are Not New)

Personally I would highly recommend: [LIST=1][*]God of War III [*]Heavy Rain (Highly recommended by me but might not be your cup of tea) [*]Uncharted I and II (Beautiful visuals combine with a great story. Pretty easy to beat on the lower difficulty levels. It's considered by many to be the most visually advanced console game on the market, well the second one, first one is still pretty beautiful in terms of graphics.)[*]Metal Gear Solid 4[*]Dead Space (probably Dead Space 2 as well but I can't speak from experience)[*]Mass Effect 2[*]Infamous (GTA style with super powers, lots of fun. Lets you decide weather or not you want to be a hero or a villain)[*]Fifa[*]NHL[*]Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood[*]Bioshock[*]Mafia 2[*]Dead Rising 2[*]MLB 10/11 The Show[*]GTA IV[/LIST]
Most of the acton/adventure games I've listed you could easily beat with a one or two week rental, so Gamefly might be a good option if you're penny pinching. Also I've never played it but Little Big Planet comes highly recommended. Mass Effect 2 you would probably need to own to beat but I've loved it so far.

Here's some other games I've tried that you may end up loving but were either mediocre or average when I got around to playing them: [LIST=1][*]Killzone 2 (3 is coming up as well, I would only rent this for the sake of seeing how far the PS3 can push an HDTV but other then that it's overrated and tedious, I traded it in after a week)[*]Final Fantasy XIII[*]Fallout 3[*]Resident Evil 5[*]NBA 2K11[/LIST]

Nomad 02-03-2011 08:51 PM

UFC 09, plays alot smoother than the new one.... and you probably can get it for about 10 bucks

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-03-2011 10:05 PM

[quote=Nomad;782242]UFC 09, plays alot smoother than the new one.... and you probably can get it for about 10 bucks[/quote]

completely disagree with that. And skinsguy have you tried trading your games in at gamestop that way you wont have to play full price

Dirtbag59 02-04-2011 02:06 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;782248]completely disagree with that. And skinsguy have you tried trading [B]your games in at gamestop[/B] that way you wont have to play full price[/quote]

Quake, I think you owe Skinsguy a full disclosure statement :D

KLHJ2 02-04-2011 02:20 AM

I would like to add Heavenly Sword to Dirtbag's list. It's not very long and easy to get the hang of. For more difficulty you can play on Hell mode.

Plain and simple it's just a fun game.

Schneed10 02-04-2011 11:10 AM

If you're a RPG fan I very highly recommend Dragon Age Origins and the add-on, Dragon Age: The Awakening.

If a game doesn't challenge me to think strategically like Madden or a good RPG does, then I generally lose interest.

Terpfan76 02-04-2011 11:15 AM

[quote=Schneed10;782309]If you're a RPG fan I very highly recommend Dragon Age Origins and the add-on, Dragon Age: The Awakening.

If a game doesn't challenge me to think strategically like Madden or a good RPG does, then I generally lose interest.[/quote]

Absolutely love Dragon Age. Fall Out New Vegas is pretty sweet and it was on sale for awhile for $36 or something. You can get Dragons Age plus the expansion for $56 which is a pretty good deal as the expansion alone is $26 or so. I recently bought Madden 11 used.

scowan 02-04-2011 11:26 AM

Guys, I was looking at buying Dragon Age myself for the PS3. Is it a huge online game?, or can you play it offline by yourself and still enjoy it? I am a big Lord of the Rings Online gamer on my PC, when I'm not playing Madden 11 on my PS3. I see Dragon Age as a Lord of the Rings/World of Warcraft kind of game. How do those games translate on consoles verses PCs?

skinsguy 02-04-2011 12:20 PM

Thanks guys!
Dirtbag, thank you for that list of games. I was browsing through those last night.

The thing with the Game Stop in town is that any used game that might be worth buying are usually still kind of expensive to me. I feel like I would have to trade in three or four games to have enough points/money (however they do it) to buy one decent game. Maybe I'm wrong on that, I dunno.

I don't play very many games online...I tend to stick with offline playing unless it's one of my friends that I see on a regular basis. I love the first person shooter games on a PC, but I have had a difficult time trying to maneuver and shoot with a controller. I don't suppose the PS3 Keyboard would help with that would it? I haven't played an RPG in a long, long time. One reason is that I don't spend as much time on videos games as I used to. But I suppose if I found an easy RPG that isn't too juvenile, one that I could beat quickly, it might spark my interest in getting back into them. Honestly, I've been mostly playing Madden and Guitar Hero out of the games I currently own. But that isn't because I don't like the other games I have, I just always seem to migrate back to those games, if that makes any sense.

CRedskinsRule 02-04-2011 12:28 PM

I am going to date myself a LOT, but after getting the PS3 for Christmas, and being excited by the graphics, I still can't get into the main game I got for myself. FF13. The last serious gaming that I did was the whole Ultima series in the late 80's. I loved the interaction, the design and the quest aspect of it. So far, none of the PS3 games have the same type quest and dialogue that I was looking for. Is Dragon age like that, maybe I haven't gone far enough in FF13, but after a few times of basically having no options, and just killing what's put in front of me, I really haven't continued it.

Appreciate any thoughts.

skinsguy 02-04-2011 03:39 PM

Would you believe I have never played the first Final Fantasy game?

mredskins 02-04-2011 04:02 PM

[quote=skinsguy;782448]Would you believe I have never played the first Final Fantasy game?[/quote]

Most people have not, the majority of the US population started on FF7 with Cloud and friends. Plus every FF is a story within itself there is little to no connection between the chapters.

saden1 02-04-2011 06:15 PM

1. Madden 11
2. NBA2K11
3. God of War III
4. Killzone 2
5. Tekken 6

saden1 02-04-2011 06:18 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;782261]Quake, I think you owe Skinsguy a full disclosure statement :D[/quote]

Disclose what? That he works there or trading your games there being a complete rip-off? Sell your games on craigslist/ebay/amazon instead.