Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If We Do Not Select QB at #10....... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41542)

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 12:28 PM

Re: If We Do Not Select QB at #10.......

[quote=Mattyk;785078]WR is a need especially if they are going to let Moss walk. If we draft a WR at #10, that doesn't mean the OL won't also be addressed later.[/quote]

Linemen drafted in the top 10 work out at a far greater percentage than WRs picked that early.

Too much risk with a WR drafted that high, plus we'd be passing up a lineman that is most likely going to make a huge difference with little to no risk.

With so many teams ahead of us possibly taking QBs because they don't know if they can get one via FA if there is no contract agreement reached...better linemen may be falling to us that would normally be top 3 or top 5 picks in a normal draft. It's a great opportunity for us and the best thing that could happen is if 3 or 4 teams ahead of take QBs. I'd like to have Gabbard of any of them, but he'll be gone, as will Newton and possibly Locker and/or Mallett.

I hope they'll all gone by the time #10 comes up, we'll get a stud lineman for a decade. Then our decision will be to take another tackle to put across from Trent, or a badly-needed interior lineman?

MTK 02-18-2011 12:31 PM

Well no matter when we take them, I think we can agree OL and WR are both needs. My basic point is taking one or the other at #10 doesn't preclude us from addressing other needs later on.

CultBrennan59 02-18-2011 12:46 PM

1. Von Miller
2. Akeem Ayers
3. AJ Green (trade up)
4. Mark Ingram
5. Robert Quinn
6. JJ Watt
7. Cameron Heyward
8. Amukamura
9. Jimmy Smith
10. Phil Taylor

SBXVII 02-18-2011 01:02 PM

[quote=Mattyk;785094]Well no matter when we take them, I think we can agree OL and WR are both needs. My basic point is taking one or the other at #10 doesn't preclude us from addressing other needs later on.[/quote]

You are 100% correct. The issue is everyone has their idea of who should be taken at #10 and their reasons why the team needs to take that position at that spot. You have some wanting OL (to protect whoever is QB), some wanting WR (cause god knows we need a viable #1), some want a NT (because defense is the way to go at #10), some want DE, some want DE/LB, some want a Safety, and then there are the QB fans who keep argueing about which is the best QB of the bunch.

My thinking has been like this.... what position in FA will be easier to fill? Simply put the team can not get all 1st round talent in one year. So which is more likely that it could be filled in the FA market and which in the draft?

Terpfan76 02-18-2011 01:22 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;785071]I didn't know he was available!

[IMG]http://www.andreajlee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jalexander1.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Big fail to me lol... I got lazy...

R. Quinn definitely looked to be the more dynamic player in the videos posted, but at the same time, it would be nice to have a bigger sample size to work with. My vote goes to Quinn. We could have Osackpo and the mighty Quinn terrorizing qbs years to come.

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 02:29 PM

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/02/hail45a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/02/hail45b.jpg[/IMG]

redsk1 02-18-2011 02:39 PM

Nose Tackle?

[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Expected_to_Eye_Nose_Tackles_In_the_Draft_192525.jsp]Redskins Expected to Eye Nose Tackles In the Draft[/url]

-- PHIL TAYLOR, BAYLOR
Taylor, 6-4 and 340 pounds, improved his draft status at the Senior Bowl last month. He is regarded as a top-notch run defender. His weight may need to be monitored, but it does not seem to slow him down on the football field. He started the last two years at Baylor, posted 107 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss and 5.5 sacks. A native of Clinton, Md., Taylor originally played at Penn State but was dismissed from the team after an altercation with a teammate. He transferred to Baylor instead and has thrived since.

-- STEPHEN PAEA, OREGON STATE
Paea could fit the ball at either end or nose tackle. He started the last three years for the Beavers, logging 126 tackles, 29.5 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks. Paea, 6-1 and 311 pounds, grew up in the Tongan Islands. At Oregon State, he regularly dealt with double teams and he responded by becoming a workout warrior, establishing himself as the strongest player on the defense. Paea suffered a knee injury during a Senior Bowl practice and his participation may be limited at the NFL Scouting Combine.

-- MARVIN AUSTIN, NORTH CAROLINA
Austin, 6-3 and 310 pounds, enters the draft having sat out the 2010 season. He was dismissed from the Tar Heels football team for violating an NCAA rule, according to reports. A native of Washington, D.C. and Ballou High School, Austin started his sophomore and junior seasons and finished his college career with 106 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss and nine sacks.

-- JERRELL POWE, MISSISSIPPI
Great name for a nose tackle. Powe is another behemoth at 6-2 and 340 pounds and scouts say his short, squatty size gives him an initial explosive burst. He has the skills to be a dominant run-stuffer in the NFL. He didn’t play regularly until the 2008 season due to academic issues. In three years at Ole Miss, Powe recorded 60 tackles, 24 tackles for a loss and six sacks.

-- KENRICK ELLIS, HAMPTON
Ellis is physically imposing at 6-4 and 340 pounds and he is expected to be a solid run-stuffer in a 3-4 scheme. He transferred to Hampton from South Carolina following the 2007 season. He left the Gamecocks after he was suspended for violating team policy. Ellis dominated in the MEAC, logging 186 tackles (including 94 as a senior last year), 37.5 tackles for a loss and seven sacks in his college career.

-- SIONE FUA, STANFORD
Fua was among the standouts at the Senior Bowl last month and he was a big reason why Stanford went from 55th in run defense to 19th last year. Fua played defensive tackle early in his college career but started at nose tackle as a senior on Stanford’s defense. In four years for the Cardinal, he logged 80 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss and nine sacks. Fua displays good quickness for a big man

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 02:47 PM

I like Taylor or Austin from that list. Paea IF he can prove to be 100% healthy. Ellis had monster numbers but they were in the MEAC. If he can handle the real competition, add him to the list too.

freddyg12 02-18-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=Buster;785092][B]Linemen drafted in the top 10 work out at a far greater percentage than WRs picked that early.[/B]

Too much risk with a WR drafted that high, plus we'd be passing up a lineman that is most likely going to make a huge difference with little to no risk.

With so many teams ahead of us possibly taking QBs because they don't know if they can get one via FA if there is no contract agreement reached...better linemen may be falling to us that would normally be top 3 or top 5 picks in a normal draft. It's a great opportunity for us and the best thing that could happen is if 3 or 4 teams ahead of take QBs. I'd like to have Gabbard of any of them, but he'll be gone, as will Newton and possibly Locker and/or Mallett.

I hope they'll all gone by the time #10 comes up, we'll get a stud lineman for a decade. Then our decision will be to take another tackle to put across from Trent, or a badly-needed interior lineman?[/quote]

True, but the value of the pick itself has to be taken into consideration. Is there an O linemen worth the #10 pick? Our more to the point, is there a RT worth the #10 pick? That pick is too valuable for a guard or center, which would likely be there in the 2nd.

I'd be a little surprised if an O linemen were taken w/the #10 pick.

Chico23231 02-18-2011 03:58 PM

The NT position doesnt have a first round star, but there is some real quality talent in it. I would be thrilled grab someone from that group.

Ruhskins 02-18-2011 04:04 PM

[quote=Chico23231;785183]The NT position doesnt have a first round star, but there is some real quality talent in it. I would be thrilled grab someone from that group.[/quote]

We should pick Phil Taylor with the 2nd rounder. Although I would like for the team to pick up Soliai in free agency, and maybe pick up a NT in the later round. Especially if Bryant is as good as he was towards the end of the season.

PHazard 02-19-2011 02:02 PM

So the General Consensus is regardless of what we want, if Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton are there at #10 Shahanan is gonna take him right? K. While this is a deep class, its a deep class for potential, not for definite producers. I feel like there are more Boom or Bust players in this draft then in recent drafts. After QB, our needs are as follows in order (because of our draft position and who is available) OLB, DE, CB, OL, WR, NT, FS

OLB- I highly doubt Von Miller drops to us, but we said the same thing about Brian Orakpo so nothing is certain. Even so, He is on the smaller side and i think his pash rush is going to be more limited at the pro level facing much more skilled/larger OTs. Plus, can he hold up for a 16 or 18 game season at his size battling in the trenches?
Then there is Robert Quinn. Looked like he had a lot of potential as a sophmore (off-field concerns aside). Now he has been off for a year, so u have to make sure hes still in playing shape (i believe at the combine he will prove that he is), and if you look at his tape sophmore year, yeah, he put up good numbers, but over half his sacks came against far inferior talent. Then u add the aspect of the dreaded "Lets move a college 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB." If OLB is the way we go i would take Quinn over Miller. Seems like a safer pick. Akeem Ayers, if we trade down

DE - I see most mock drafts have us taking DE Cameron Jordan if they already have Blaine Gabbert & Cam Newton off the board. I have no problem with this pick, its not a sexy pick but it would be a safe one. Cameron Jordan is great with his hands, doesnt have the speed to be a great Pass rusher around the edge but keeps great leverage and has an awesome bull rush. We could also kick him in at DT in Nickel & Dime packages. We could do that with another player in Marcell Dareus. I doubt he slips to us but he would also be great value at 10. JJ Watt is another dominating 3-4 DE. If Shanahans go with the safe but not sexy pick, this would at least be the position. Trade down option: Adrian Clayborn. I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT wanna see Ryan Kerrigan in a Redskins uniform next year under any 1st round circumstances.

CB - With Carlos Rogers thinking hes worth more than he is, and DeAngelo Hall letting up the 2nd most yards of any CB in the league (that makes him 62nd out of 64 possible starting corners), this position has become a huge concern. Everyone knows how great Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are so i wont go into detail but i highly doubt either slip to us. Jimmy Smith is not worth the #10 pick but would be a possible Trade down option.

OL -Simply NO offensive lineman worth a #10 pick in this draft. We could reach but we're drafting at #10 for a reason, with so lil draft picks, we cant afford to reach. Trade down option: All 1st round Olineman (Costanzo, Solder, Smith, Carimi, Pouncey, etc.)

WR - AJ Green does not fall to us. No one here likes Julio Jones as a #1 WR prospect? Hmmmmm....Im a fan of Julio Jones, will be interesting to see his agility and speed drills at the combine to see if he is worth a #10 pick.

People need to stop worrying about Jake Locker at #10. No one is gonna even consider him till pick #25. He is a trade down option or we might be able to grab Locker in the 2nd round. Kaepernick and Ponder will also be in play there if we didnt grab Gabbert or Newton at #10.

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_Redskins for the lastest Redskins News and Opinions.

PHazard 02-19-2011 02:04 PM

I guess that would make my list

Blaine Gabbert/Cam Newton
Robert Quinn
Marcell Dareus
Cameron Jordan
JJ Watt
Peterson/Amukamara
OL
Julio Jones

NC_Skins 02-19-2011 03:07 PM

No QB worth drafting at the #10 spot (certainly not Newton) so I hope we go with DL or OLB. That Miller kid was getting owned by the tackle from Nebraska so I imagine he'd be useless in the NFL at pass rushing at his weight.

Shadowbyte 02-19-2011 03:50 PM

From the way it's looking now Cam Newton won't be around at # 10. At this point I say we trade down and see if we can procure some more picks.