Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If We Do Not Select QB at #10....... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41542)

Skins4Eva 02-17-2011 07:02 PM

If We Do Not Select QB at #10.......

Considering that Newton's stock is rising and the needs of the teams picking ahead of us in the upcoming draft...there is a strong chance that we will not have a shot at Gabbert [U]or[/U] Newton. Thats means several impact players that we may have not thought we had a shot at in the #10 spot would now be available. If both top-rated QB's are gone...who do you take at the #10 spot? My pick...[B]A.J Green[/B]. We haven't had a dynamic recieving threat in who knows how long and most, if not all, scouts agree that he is the best WR talent since Calvin Johnson and is hands down the most elite offensive player in this draft. When was the last time we had an offensive player that the opposing defensive coaches had to game plan for? I know WR is risky but we have [U][B]so many[/B][/U] needs that we can't go wrong with drafting BPA. If no QB is available at #10, who would you take and why?

wilsowilso 02-17-2011 07:15 PM

Re: If We Do Not Select QB at #10.......

No chance AJ is available at #10. No chance.

I'm still in the trade back camp myself.

30gut 02-17-2011 07:19 PM

Can we trade down?
DL/OT

MTK 02-17-2011 07:21 PM

WR, DE, LB would all be viable options

GTripp0012 02-17-2011 07:44 PM

I would think that AJ Green would be gone by 10th in the draft, but you never know. Michael Crabtree wasn't.

The truth is, if not QB or WR, it's probably D at no. 10. I don't love Nate Solder as a top ten right tackle. I do like Costanzo, but 10 would be a bit high for him. Again, not a terrible pick, but a pick that would facilitate maybe a slower rebuild than intended.

Three names: Macell Dareus, Cameron Jordan, or Aldon Smith. All good values, all more likely to be there than Von Miller or Patrick Peterson. And all could play immediately in our defense.

GTripp0012 02-17-2011 07:46 PM

And AJ Green would top my board if I was picking at the Redskins, which is to say, if the Redskins had the no. 1 pick in this draft, that's who I would take. But he's the only receiver worthy of top ten consideration in this draft. Leonard Hankerson is the only other clear cut first round guy in this draft, on my board. The second round should be loaded at the receiver position, if we want to address it then.

backrow 02-17-2011 07:56 PM

[quote=wilsowilso;785008]I'm still in the trade back camp myself.[/quote]

As am I! LB, DE, OL, DT, C, G, T, OL, C, T, T, LB, DE, DT, C, G, T, as many as we can load up on for either side of the ball. I might have forgotten, OL, C, G, T, C, G, T, C, G, T, and oh yeah, C, G, T and C, G, T!

Dirtbag59 02-17-2011 10:02 PM

This team needs to find a young franchise QB in the next two years if Shanahan is going to succeed and make this a championship caliber team. That or field a top 5 defense, and when I say top 5 I don't just mean top 5 in its respective year, but rather top 5 all time. Otherwise at best we'll be a team that will be very lucky to make it to the second round of the playoffs. Personally I'd be interested in waiting a year for a QB if it meant getting Nick Foles in 2012 but if he's as good as I think he is he won't be available to us.

SOUL-SKINS 02-17-2011 10:08 PM

Robert Quinn

SkinzWin 02-17-2011 10:10 PM

I know everyone is saying Von Miller will not be there at 10 but people say things that never happen every year in the draft. If he is there I want him over ANYONE!!

BuckSkin 02-17-2011 10:23 PM

I'm a little surprised with the varied responses here, after the "what position should we draft" poll. I was pretty sure that the members here wanted a QB, but it looks like more and more are wanting OLB. At least we know now who voted WR. Von Miller or Kerrington.

SkinzWin 02-17-2011 10:36 PM

Lol. I've been pulling for Von since day one and I've let that be known. No closet polling for me....

sdskinsfan2001 02-17-2011 10:56 PM

Von Miller
Robert Quinn
Cameron Jordan
Aldon Smith
J.J. Watt
Ryan Kerrigan

Basically I want the Redskins to draft the best DE or OLB available at # 10. Even if all the QB'S were still available. Then in the 2nd round draft Christian Ponder/Pat Devlin.

Dirtbag59 02-17-2011 11:13 PM

Oh and Von Miller or Robert Quinn. Julio Jones, Cameron Jordan, Marcell Dareus, and Phil Taylor also have my attention at the 10 spot.

SOUL-SKINS 02-17-2011 11:49 PM

Well of course Von but like everyone said.....we have as good of chance to get Andrew Luck in this years draft.... Not going to happen!!! Get it. Some will and some won't as will all know

Dirtbag59 02-17-2011 11:57 PM

[quote=SOUL-SKINS;785030]Well of course Von but like everyone said.....we have as good of chance to get Andrew Luck in this years draft.... Not going to happen!!! Get it. Some will and some won't as will all know[/quote]

Von Miller is like Orakpo coming out. Some GM's love him and think he's worth a top 5 pick, others think he's a good prospect but overrated. I know that the naysayers think he's undersized at 237 pounds and theres some criticism about how he played so few plays compared to other starters with his prestige at the college level. GM's are eager to find out if he was taking himself out or if the coaches noticed problems with his conditioning and/or durability.

He's certainly not viewed as the Andrew Luck of Linebackers.

SOUL-SKINS 02-18-2011 12:08 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;785031]Von Miller is like Orakpo coming out. Some GM's love him and think he's worth a top 5 pick, others think he's a good prospect but overrated. I know that the naysayers think he's undersized at 237 pounds and theres some criticism about how he played so few plays compared to other starters with his prestige at the college level. GM's are eager to find out if he was taking himself out or if the coaches noticed problems with his conditioning and/or durability.

He's certainly not viewed as the Andrew Luck of Linebackers.[/quote]

Good point. Yeah I remember Rak as high as 3 in the 2009 mocks. So I take back my post..... I guess you never know. It's a tough draft. We need every position pretty much. Miller is my choice if there. Then Green

Chico23231 02-18-2011 08:44 AM

If WR Green or LB Miller isnt there at 10, hands down I would go DE or LB/DE position. I really hope we dont make the mistake of QB, though the worst pick would be Quinn outta UNC at 10. I rather go ahead and take Ponder or Dalton.

MonkFan4Life 02-18-2011 08:54 AM

Been saying it, and I won't stop.

AJ Green, unless he's gone of course.

skinsfan69 02-18-2011 09:01 AM

I really hope that we don't take a wr. We need to get better in the trenches in the worst way.

freddyg12 02-18-2011 09:06 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;785031]Von Miller is like Orakpo coming out. Some GM's love him and think he's worth a top 5 pick, others think he's a good prospect but overrated. I know that the naysayers think he's undersized at 237 pounds and theres some criticism about how he played so few plays compared to other starters with his prestige at the college level. GM's are eager to find out if he was taking himself out or if the coaches noticed problems with his conditioning and/or durability.

He's certainly not viewed as the Andrew Luck of Linebackers.[/quote]

thanks for the dirt on Miller, Dirt. since watching the sr. bowl, I've been wondering when I was going to hear someone talk about his size. I thought he looked very light. Have read that he plays the run well, but I would think some scouts question his every down ability as you mention.

If conditioning is his only issue, Shanny will take him in a heartbeat. All other indications are the kid is a model citizen & coachable.

skinsfan57 02-18-2011 09:19 AM

may have a shot at Jake Locker.if not,offensive linemen.

skinsguy 02-18-2011 09:19 AM

I say trade down and get as many picks as possible, build depth on the offensive line and the defense, and then somehow finagle our way into getting Andrew Luck next year.

Terpfan76 02-18-2011 09:50 AM

I'm good with trading down, but if not, I'll take Robert Quinn. He's got the size and athletic ability to be absolutely dominant as a rush backer. He may never be as good in coverage as Miller, but I think he'll be a much better pass rusher.

As for Solder vs. Constanza, I think that Constanza is the guy if you're looking for someone to start almost immediately. However, I feel the Solder is the better overall prospect long term. I doubt he'll be ready to play right away, his biggest issues are a lack of strength and he's a little raw, but he has all the skills to be a dominant tackle be it left or right.

Ruhskins 02-18-2011 11:00 AM

[quote=Terpfan76;785060]I'm good with trading down, but if not, I'll take Robert Quinn. He's got the size and athletic ability to be absolutely dominant as a rush backer. He may never be as good in coverage as Miller, but I think he'll be a much better pass rusher.

As for Solder vs. [B]Constanza[/B], I think that Constanza is the guy if you're looking for someone to start almost immediately. However, I feel the Solder is the better overall prospect long term. I doubt he'll be ready to play right away, his biggest issues are a lack of strength and he's a little raw, but he has all the skills to be a dominant tackle be it left or right.[/quote]

I didn't know he was available!

[IMG]http://www.andreajlee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jalexander1.jpg[/IMG]

WaldSkins 02-18-2011 11:45 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;785018]This team needs to find a young franchise QB in the next two years if Shanahan is going to succeed and make this a championship caliber team. That or field a top 5 defense, and when I say top 5 I don't just mean top 5 in its respective year, but rather top 5 all time. Otherwise at best we'll be a team that will be very lucky to make it to the second round of the playoffs. Personally I'd be interested in waiting a year for a QB if it meant getting Nick Foles in 2012 but if he's as good as I think he is he won't be available to us.[/quote]

I second the next year for waiting for a quarterback idea. Nick Foles, Matt Barkley, Andrew Luck, and Landry Jones will all be available next year and all of them could possibly be better then Gabbert or Newton.

Lotus 02-18-2011 11:51 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;785048]I really hope that we don't take a wr. We need to get better in the trenches in the worst way.[/quote]

This.

MTK 02-18-2011 12:03 PM

WR is a need especially if they are going to let Moss walk. If we draft a WR at #10, that doesn't mean the OL won't also be addressed later.

Dirtbag59 02-18-2011 12:05 PM

[quote=freddyg12;785050]thanks for the dirt on Miller, Dirt. since watching the sr. bowl, I've been wondering when I was going to hear someone talk about his size. I thought he looked very light. Have read that he plays the run well, but I would think some scouts question his every down ability as you mention.

If conditioning is his only issue, Shanny will take him in a heartbeat. All other indications are the kid is a model citizen & coachable.[/quote]

I actually just watched my first footage on Von Miller and was surprised at the amount of hype he's getting. Constantly running up field past plays and a lack of explosivness for a guy his size were two of my main concerns. All to often it seemed like Tackles were taking him out of running plays.

Quinn on the other hand reminded me more of Orakpo before the draft as he seems to have that bull rush down and is very explosive off the ball. That bull rush is so important to because it allows players to defend both the run and pass at the same time.

I feel like I'm missing key footage of Miller as he couldn't have won the Butkis Award playing in the manner I just described.

[YT]SkDdpgRn7Pk[/YT]

[YT]CNoYxbvKxXE[/YT]

[YT]kqJrjwjf55c[/YT]

redsk1 02-18-2011 12:18 PM

I don't see Green or Peterson slipping to 10, but obviously they'd be hard to pass on if we don't take a QB or trade down.

I'd like it if we got a OL or DL, but best overall would make sense i think. I'd still love to trade down in this deep draft.

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 12:28 PM

[quote=Mattyk;785078]WR is a need especially if they are going to let Moss walk. If we draft a WR at #10, that doesn't mean the OL won't also be addressed later.[/quote]

Linemen drafted in the top 10 work out at a far greater percentage than WRs picked that early.

Too much risk with a WR drafted that high, plus we'd be passing up a lineman that is most likely going to make a huge difference with little to no risk.

With so many teams ahead of us possibly taking QBs because they don't know if they can get one via FA if there is no contract agreement reached...better linemen may be falling to us that would normally be top 3 or top 5 picks in a normal draft. It's a great opportunity for us and the best thing that could happen is if 3 or 4 teams ahead of take QBs. I'd like to have Gabbard of any of them, but he'll be gone, as will Newton and possibly Locker and/or Mallett.

I hope they'll all gone by the time #10 comes up, we'll get a stud lineman for a decade. Then our decision will be to take another tackle to put across from Trent, or a badly-needed interior lineman?

MTK 02-18-2011 12:31 PM

Well no matter when we take them, I think we can agree OL and WR are both needs. My basic point is taking one or the other at #10 doesn't preclude us from addressing other needs later on.

CultBrennan59 02-18-2011 12:46 PM

1. Von Miller
2. Akeem Ayers
3. AJ Green (trade up)
4. Mark Ingram
5. Robert Quinn
6. JJ Watt
7. Cameron Heyward
8. Amukamura
9. Jimmy Smith
10. Phil Taylor

SBXVII 02-18-2011 01:02 PM

[quote=Mattyk;785094]Well no matter when we take them, I think we can agree OL and WR are both needs. My basic point is taking one or the other at #10 doesn't preclude us from addressing other needs later on.[/quote]

You are 100% correct. The issue is everyone has their idea of who should be taken at #10 and their reasons why the team needs to take that position at that spot. You have some wanting OL (to protect whoever is QB), some wanting WR (cause god knows we need a viable #1), some want a NT (because defense is the way to go at #10), some want DE, some want DE/LB, some want a Safety, and then there are the QB fans who keep argueing about which is the best QB of the bunch.

My thinking has been like this.... what position in FA will be easier to fill? Simply put the team can not get all 1st round talent in one year. So which is more likely that it could be filled in the FA market and which in the draft?

Terpfan76 02-18-2011 01:22 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;785071]I didn't know he was available!

[IMG]http://www.andreajlee.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jalexander1.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Big fail to me lol... I got lazy...

R. Quinn definitely looked to be the more dynamic player in the videos posted, but at the same time, it would be nice to have a bigger sample size to work with. My vote goes to Quinn. We could have Osackpo and the mighty Quinn terrorizing qbs years to come.

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 02:29 PM

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/02/hail45a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/02/hail45b.jpg[/IMG]

redsk1 02-18-2011 02:39 PM

Nose Tackle?

[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Expected_to_Eye_Nose_Tackles_In_the_Draft_192525.jsp]Redskins Expected to Eye Nose Tackles In the Draft[/url]

-- PHIL TAYLOR, BAYLOR
Taylor, 6-4 and 340 pounds, improved his draft status at the Senior Bowl last month. He is regarded as a top-notch run defender. His weight may need to be monitored, but it does not seem to slow him down on the football field. He started the last two years at Baylor, posted 107 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss and 5.5 sacks. A native of Clinton, Md., Taylor originally played at Penn State but was dismissed from the team after an altercation with a teammate. He transferred to Baylor instead and has thrived since.

-- STEPHEN PAEA, OREGON STATE
Paea could fit the ball at either end or nose tackle. He started the last three years for the Beavers, logging 126 tackles, 29.5 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks. Paea, 6-1 and 311 pounds, grew up in the Tongan Islands. At Oregon State, he regularly dealt with double teams and he responded by becoming a workout warrior, establishing himself as the strongest player on the defense. Paea suffered a knee injury during a Senior Bowl practice and his participation may be limited at the NFL Scouting Combine.

-- MARVIN AUSTIN, NORTH CAROLINA
Austin, 6-3 and 310 pounds, enters the draft having sat out the 2010 season. He was dismissed from the Tar Heels football team for violating an NCAA rule, according to reports. A native of Washington, D.C. and Ballou High School, Austin started his sophomore and junior seasons and finished his college career with 106 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss and nine sacks.

-- JERRELL POWE, MISSISSIPPI
Great name for a nose tackle. Powe is another behemoth at 6-2 and 340 pounds and scouts say his short, squatty size gives him an initial explosive burst. He has the skills to be a dominant run-stuffer in the NFL. He didn’t play regularly until the 2008 season due to academic issues. In three years at Ole Miss, Powe recorded 60 tackles, 24 tackles for a loss and six sacks.

-- KENRICK ELLIS, HAMPTON
Ellis is physically imposing at 6-4 and 340 pounds and he is expected to be a solid run-stuffer in a 3-4 scheme. He transferred to Hampton from South Carolina following the 2007 season. He left the Gamecocks after he was suspended for violating team policy. Ellis dominated in the MEAC, logging 186 tackles (including 94 as a senior last year), 37.5 tackles for a loss and seven sacks in his college career.

-- SIONE FUA, STANFORD
Fua was among the standouts at the Senior Bowl last month and he was a big reason why Stanford went from 55th in run defense to 19th last year. Fua played defensive tackle early in his college career but started at nose tackle as a senior on Stanford’s defense. In four years for the Cardinal, he logged 80 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss and nine sacks. Fua displays good quickness for a big man

Monkeydad 02-18-2011 02:47 PM

I like Taylor or Austin from that list. Paea IF he can prove to be 100% healthy. Ellis had monster numbers but they were in the MEAC. If he can handle the real competition, add him to the list too.

freddyg12 02-18-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=Buster;785092][B]Linemen drafted in the top 10 work out at a far greater percentage than WRs picked that early.[/B]

Too much risk with a WR drafted that high, plus we'd be passing up a lineman that is most likely going to make a huge difference with little to no risk.

With so many teams ahead of us possibly taking QBs because they don't know if they can get one via FA if there is no contract agreement reached...better linemen may be falling to us that would normally be top 3 or top 5 picks in a normal draft. It's a great opportunity for us and the best thing that could happen is if 3 or 4 teams ahead of take QBs. I'd like to have Gabbard of any of them, but he'll be gone, as will Newton and possibly Locker and/or Mallett.

I hope they'll all gone by the time #10 comes up, we'll get a stud lineman for a decade. Then our decision will be to take another tackle to put across from Trent, or a badly-needed interior lineman?[/quote]

True, but the value of the pick itself has to be taken into consideration. Is there an O linemen worth the #10 pick? Our more to the point, is there a RT worth the #10 pick? That pick is too valuable for a guard or center, which would likely be there in the 2nd.

I'd be a little surprised if an O linemen were taken w/the #10 pick.

Chico23231 02-18-2011 03:58 PM

The NT position doesnt have a first round star, but there is some real quality talent in it. I would be thrilled grab someone from that group.