Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mewelde Moore/Cedric Benson/Joseph Addai (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41786)

Alvin Walton 03-14-2011 08:01 PM

Mewelde Moore/Cedric Benson/Joseph Addai

These are three (prolly the top three FA RB's) guys I'd like us to target in FA when things get back to normal.

Moore may not be a starter but he's a very solid back up and could spell Torain and be a one/two punch if Torain materializes into a real #1 back.
This will be his 8th year in the league, he may be a tad bit battered but he's a savvy vet.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/players/meweldemoore/profile?id=MOO557284]Mewelde Moore, RB for the Pittsburgh Steelers at NFL.com[/url]

Cedric benson is beginning his 7th year in the NFL and is somewhat similiar to Moore in IMO.
He's coming off two 1000 yard seasons and I'd be jazzed to get him as a FA.
That may be a luxury if Torain is a real starter but Danny can afford it.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/players/cedricbenson/profile?id=BEN508718]Cedric Benson, RB for the Cincinnati Bengals at NFL.com[/url]

Addai hasnt exactly been a barn burner but he's done some very good things for the Colts. He's been a bit fragile lately which is a concern but he's only got five years of wear on him.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/players/josephaddai/profile?id=ADD152616]Joseph Addai, RB for the Indianapolis Colts at NFL.com[/url]

If we can sign any one of these guys we will go into next season with a very solid backfield.

diehard 03-14-2011 08:56 PM

Re: Mewelde Moore/Cedric Benson/Joseph Addai

All of these guys make me think of the three vets we had in camp last year. No thanks.

MTK 03-14-2011 09:03 PM

[quote=diehard;788923]All of these guys make me think of the three vets we had in camp last year. No thanks.[/quote]

This.

NYCskinfan82 03-14-2011 09:12 PM

Yeah I would have to agree NO THANKS.

Alvin Walton 03-14-2011 09:18 PM

Well they are not the same three guys.
Totally different. And they are three guys that prolly want their current teams to retain them, which means they have value.
Our RB stable is full of unknowns and maybe's.
I dont want to go into the next season with Ryan Somebody and his backup Joe Vanilla.

skinsfaninok 03-14-2011 09:56 PM

Your joking right?

Paintrain 03-14-2011 10:04 PM

No, no and no. On the free agency front, running back is very low on the priority list.

sportscurmudgeon 03-14-2011 10:46 PM

If the Skins add a running back via free agency, they need to find one with more speed than the ones on the roster now. There is no "breakaway threat" at the moment; it would be good to have one.

Neither Moore, Benson nor Addai provides that kind of speed.

I'd pass.

SmootSmack 03-14-2011 11:16 PM

I'll tell you three other guys who could be available-Ganther, Betts, Cartwright. Boom! End of discussion. Lock this bad boy up

If Addai could stay healthy, he'd be a great pick up. But he's not healthy and five years of wear is a lot for a guy who can't stay healthy

Hog1 03-14-2011 11:20 PM

Is not Tiki.............UNretiring???
Maybe Earl Campbell??

diehard 03-14-2011 11:53 PM

I'm hopeful that once the OL is improved, it won't matter too much who's carrying the rock.

musicmaster45 03-15-2011 12:30 AM

Other needs than running back are way more important. We can draft a 7th rounder for all i care like that kid from pitt that might be smaller than MJD

SOUL-SKINS 03-15-2011 07:25 AM

Who is this Ryan Somebody. Thats a horrible name. Poor guy. It must of been tough growing up with a name like that.......

Alvin Walton 03-15-2011 07:52 AM

Torain isn't sturdy enough to go the full season.
Even Kyle Shanahan will come right out and tell you that.
RB by committee will prolly be the way we go.
We're going to have to find another half decent back from somewhere and I don't think its going to come from a draft pick.
Where else you going to go other than free agency?

[url=http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41990252/ns/sports-player_news/]Kyle Shanahan: Torain needs backfield help - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com[/url]

MTK 03-15-2011 07:57 AM

We need a back to go with Torain, but not another aging vet who's better days are behind him.

Benson is the only back worth looking at here, but he doesn't seem like a great fit for this offense. Addai is nice when healthy, but he's had more than his fair share of injuries the past few seasons.

bigdaddy2348 03-15-2011 08:11 AM

This is some bull!!!! Really I wouldn't take all three of these back if you were rolled in one. They all suck that is why there current teams haven't signed them yet.

Alvin Walton 03-15-2011 08:21 AM

[quote=bigdaddy2348;788978]This is some bull!!!! Really I wouldn't take all three of these back if you were rolled in one. They all suck that is why there current teams haven't signed them yet.[/quote]

Benson just came off two 1,00 yard years in a row.
How is that suck?

Chico23231 03-15-2011 09:00 AM

good god, no way in hell I want any of these guys

BleedBurgundy 03-15-2011 09:12 AM

the word "prolly" makes my head feel as if it's going to explode.

freddyg12 03-15-2011 09:21 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;788943]I'll tell you three other guys who could be available-Ganther, Betts, Cartwright. Boom! End of discussion. Lock this bad boy up

If Addai could stay healthy, he'd be a great pick up. But he's not healthy and five years of wear is a lot for a guy who can't stay healthy[/quote]

Actually Smoot I'm pretty sure Rock has re-signed w/the Raiders. We were too slow to get him back!

Monkeydad 03-15-2011 09:25 AM

[quote=diehard;788923]All of these guys make me think of the three vets we had in camp last year. No thanks.[/quote]

I agree with this, except the vets we him in camp last year had better resumes.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Benson as a power back, part-time and short yardage, just to keep Torain healthy.

Addai would be the choice if he could stay healthy.

Moore is ancient and was never more than a backup-quality RB.

Honestly, we're set at RB for the most part with Torain being our star, Keiland Williams taking on the pass blocking and goal line...and James Davis as a backup for Torain.

It's not the BEST group, but compared to other team needs, like the line in front of the RBs, we can spend our time, draft picks and money upgrading other positions first.

If Torrain goes down, we'll need to pick someone up and chances are, one of these vet RBs (Portis included) could be looking for a job. We could always use a late-round pick for depth too.

Always a great thread when the first post has the "word" prolly.

celts32 03-15-2011 09:51 AM

I thought Deangelo Williams was going to be a free agent also. He's the only free agent RB I heard mentioned who would be a serious upgrade.

SmootSmack 03-15-2011 09:59 AM

Who's Ryan Torrain?

Chico23231 03-15-2011 10:10 AM

[quote=celts32;789006]I thought Deangelo Williams was going to be a free agent also. He's the only free agent RB I heard mentioned who would be a serious upgrade.[/quote]

he is mos def worth a long look

KLHJ2 03-15-2011 10:18 AM

Mewelde Moore

[IMG]http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/father_time3.gif[/IMG]

Joseph addai

[IMG]http://www.islandcrisis.net/static/HalloweenDeco/6.jpg[/IMG]

Cedric Benson

[IMG]http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/art/condemnedpr.gif[/IMG]

sportscurmudgeon 03-15-2011 11:40 AM

Did a monstrous double-take when I came across this phrase in a post above:

"Honestly, we're set at RB for the most part with Torrain being our star..."

Honestly, "star"?

Ryan Torain has appeared in a grand total of 12 games in his career - - starting in the 2008 NFL season. After 3 seasons, running backs who are actually "stars" have more than 179 carries and 811 yards rushing as career totals.

Torain is a serviceable running back; if he can stay healthy - - which he has never shown he can do - - he might become a better than average running back. So far, he is below average as a starting running back at the NFL level.

44ever 03-15-2011 11:56 AM

Id have no problem if we took a look at Addai

WilbursHomie 03-15-2011 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=diehard;788947]I'm hopeful that once the OL is improved, it won't matter too much who's carrying the rock.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and it doesn't. One more good O lineman and they will be good enough for a bruiser like Torrain to bust through. That dudes gonna be plenty solid enough while we get the other ducks in a row.

Chico23231 03-15-2011 12:49 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;788943]I'll tell you three other guys who could be available-Ganther, Betts, Cartwright. Boom! End of discussion. Lock this bad boy up

If Addai could stay healthy, he'd be a great pick up. But he's not healthy and five years of wear is a lot for a guy who can't stay healthy[/quote]

Any word on who that Vet RB is Skins may be looking at? Any draft surprise at the RB spot?

SmootSmack 03-15-2011 12:57 PM

[quote=Chico23231;789070]Any word on who that Vet RB is Skins may be looking at? Any draft surprise at the RB spot?[/quote]

Don't know about the vet. Think we've shown some interest in Damien Berry, Jordan Todman, and Ryan Williams

Chico23231 03-15-2011 01:05 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;789075]Don't know about the vet. Think we've shown some interest in Damien Berry, Jordan Todman, and Ryan Williams[/quote]

Jordan Todman is a beast and my favorite out of those 3. I would spend on him fo sho. Williams needed to stay another year, Berry is nothing special IMO. Thanks as usual SS. you da man

freddyg12 03-15-2011 01:24 PM

[quote=Chico23231;789078]Jordan Todman is a beast and my favorite out of those 3. I would spend on him fo sho. [B]Williams needed to stay another year[/B], Berry is nothing special IMO. Thanks as usual SS. you da man[/quote]

Williams was hurt & shared the backfield w/2 others. His 09 season was great. I don't think he had much to gain by staying another year as at one time McShay had him as the #2 rb in the draft. I would love to see him in B&G, but only if we could get him in the 3rd or 4th, which is unlikely since at present we have no picks then & he likely won't last beyond the mid 3rd.

GridIron26 03-15-2011 01:28 PM

Shanahan has a great history of uncovering RB gems.. I think it is safe for us to expect Shanahan to find someone through draft or undrafted free agency.

mlmpetert 03-15-2011 01:58 PM

I dont want any of these guys, but i will say i have complete faith in anyone Shanahan (Sr.) wants to put in our backfield

Monkeydad 03-15-2011 02:01 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;789091]I dont want any of these guys, but i will say i have complete faith in anyone Shanahan (Sr.) wants to put in our backfield[/quote]

That's precisely why I am confident in Keiland Williams, James Davis or any other bum off the street.

freddyg12 03-15-2011 03:00 PM

[quote=GridIron26;789084]Shanahan has a great history of uncovering RB gems.. I think it is safe for us to expect Shanahan to find someone through draft or undrafted free agency.[/quote]

agreed, it's not a position that I see him worrying about early in the draft, given that he's got no 3rd or 4th round. If a guy like Ryan Williams is there in the 3rd or 4th & we've acquired a pick, I wouldn't be surprised if he took him. Lucky for us, the RB class is not too deep & tempting. If there were great prospects to choose from it might just complicate the draft even more.

Alvin Walton 07-09-2011 03:20 PM

Bumping this so I can say I told you so when we sign one of these guys next week.
:cool-smil

mmil12 07-09-2011 04:10 PM

I have one question for you...

Did you watch the draft? Did you at least look at the outcome of our picks? Did you see RB next a few of them?

No, no, and no...oh wait...NO!!!

Alvin Walton 07-09-2011 04:17 PM

[quote=mmil12;810099]I have one question for you...

Did you watch the draft? Did you at least look at the outcome of our picks? Did you see RB next a few of them?

No, no, and no...oh wait...NO!!![/quote]

None of our RB picks are on the roster.
None of them are signed.
Only one of them is projected to make the roster.
I'd love to see the Roy Roy backfield be successful but they have yet to even attend an NFL training camp.
But thanks for the smarta$$ remarks anyways, sonny.

mmil12 07-09-2011 04:23 PM

Personally I think Helu is going to be a stud. The rest is just a matter of the lock-out ending. Technicalities at best...

Glad you love my smart$ss remarks...