Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41898)

Chico23231 03-24-2011 07:53 PM

Re: Redskins Reconstruction: Quarterbacks

[quote=SBXVII;790573]Great. More growing pains. Just like with McNabb, who by the way is a far better QB. Oh well.[/quote]

Yeah well I personally think so too. But Shanny and his kid dont think so Id say lets cut our losses now and get a 4th or 5th for him. Im good with us struggling again this year if we are making tough choices to get better for the future....But I cant take any drama filled year of Fat F*ck Albert and McNabb vs Shanny again...that sh*t is old in my book.

30gut 03-24-2011 07:57 PM

Heck, I would rather go into the seaosn with John Beck then Rex Grossman.

NYCskinfan82 03-24-2011 09:22 PM

Competition is good if we can get competition for free(meaning not giving up draft picks) then why not.

SmootSmack 03-24-2011 10:38 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;790577]How do I get Tandler's gig?[/quote]

Spend 40 years writing about and reporting on the team?

skinsfaninok 03-24-2011 11:06 PM

How is Smith better than Grossman folks? Seriously

SmootSmack 03-24-2011 11:23 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;790590]How is Smith better than Grossman folks? Seriously[/quote]

Well, he's younger for one thing. He has talent, and he's shown he can be a very good QB. But a) he needs to prove he can stay healthy and, more importantly b) he needs to be in a system that isn't changing offensive coordinators and systems every year.

I'm not really sure he's the best fit here, or better said that we're the first fit for him. But I'll repeat what I said a few months ago when I first brought him up, he is in many ways just the type of QB Shanahan would like, a young veteran who has shown promise but who he (Mike Shanahan) believes he could take to the next level. A la Jake Plummer.

Now the rumor a couple of months back was that the Redskins were working on a 2 year extension with Rex Grossman to make him the transitional QB to the next guy (who they would likely draft this year). So I don't know where that is right now, but suppose they don't come to some deal with Grossman and suppose they do end up trading McNabb. Just suppose. Why not sign a guy like Alex Smith under some incentive laden contract. Give him a year to prove himself to the rest of the league, and us. And meanwhile draft a QB, such as Locker or Ponder or whoever, and give them a year to get acclimated and then give them the reins in 2012. Or if Smith proves to be the guy, then you've got a young QB to back him up for the future. Again, I think we need to acquire not just one but two QBs over the next couple of years.

skinsfaninok 03-25-2011 06:21 AM

I just want to draft a QB this year and begin the future, smith and Rex are the same IMO, very avg QBs who may have a great game one week and then have 4 ints the next

MTK 03-25-2011 08:37 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;790590]How is Smith better than Grossman folks? Seriously[/quote]

Given the choice I would definitely take Grossman. 3 years under his belt now in this system, he would be the better choice in the short run as a potential starter.

celts32 03-25-2011 09:55 AM

I would rather have Smith. Grossman has proven over and over that he turns the ball over to much to win games consistently. And I know it's highly unlikely but I would rather just keep mcnabb to be the bridge to our rookie. His play would improve with better players around him and although he can be wild at times his mistakes generally end up low and in the dirt and not as interceptions.

Monkeydad 03-25-2011 11:00 AM

Smith has proven he can't be a starting QB. He's had more chances than anyone else.

Please no. I'll take Rex.

In reality, I think we're keeping McNabb.

Alvin Walton 03-25-2011 11:01 AM

McNabb is mentally damaged goods (ego, self esteem, embarrassment).
There's no way we'll keep him.

Monkeydad 03-25-2011 11:11 AM

Football is a business, feelings do not matter.

If the year is shortened or there is a lockout from training camp or even post-draft activities, any team who drafted a QB and can't work with them is already in for a lost year. Plus, there's uncertainty with FA and when it might happen and how and even so, it's a crappy FA year talent-wise at QB...one of the worst I can remember.

Teams with starter-caliber QBs already on the roster should be less-inclined to make a change. Like it or not, McNabb is still a starter in the league. He does know the playbook even if he didn't catch on quick enough last year and he's a professional...so you can bet he's been working on the playbook and not sitting on his butt like Haynesworth. He's also professional enough to say that he signed the contract, so he's going to play it out. I don't see him as the type to cry and bail on us. He wants to be on the field.

When he was benched last year, the season was already lost in terms of the playoffs. Mike Shanahan said that he was going to play bench players and evaluate talent for the next season if that happened and he did. Sure, they bumbled the process in the eyes of the media who was just digging for a new controversy since Fat Al was no longer a story...but he did what he said he would. I didn't see the problem or any handwriting on the wall that McNabb was off the team in the future.

I think it's way overblown and honestly, since this is not a normal offseason and could be a lost offseason for developing a new QB whether from FA or the draft. it would be the best route to stick with McNabb for another year. He'll be in year #2 of the system, he can't possibly decline from his disaster of 2010.

Lets use our draft picks on other, more urgent needs like both lines, possibly a WR and 3-4 LBs. We should be focusing more on helping the personnel transition to the 3-4. With a solid D and McNabb, we can win. With another 31st-ranked D and a rookie QB who couldn't work on the offense in TC, we're toast and will be wishing for another 6-10 season.

MTK 03-25-2011 11:16 AM

I agree the McNabb situation was blown out of proportion. I still lean towards him not being here next year, but I wouldn't completely rule out his return either.

Monkeydad 03-25-2011 11:19 AM

Coach should have TOLD MCNABB first about when the benching was going to happen, but other than that bad oversight, everything went as it was planned out and already stated publicly.

Besides, McNabb wasn't going to make it 16 games last year regardless, he was limping around all season. Early in the year, I was impressed with his running, he looked better than he had for 5 years, but he got hurt. Pulling him actually points MORE to him being in the short-term plan than not, because it was protecting him.

SmootSmack 03-25-2011 11:20 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;790647]Smith has proven he can't be a starting QB. He's had more chances than anyone else.

Please no. I'll take Rex.

In reality, I think we're keeping McNabb.[/quote]

He's the west coast Jason Campbell...meaning he's had to deal with change every year...meaning I'm surprised you would so easily write him off